Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 pm 

richo7 wrote:
11 - NO - Guide 1 stays steady red, Set and Go flashes red at the same time. Buttons don't change or do anything else.
12 - Same things happens

This flashing of "Set" and "Go" indicate that the communications between the HC and/or AUx port are broken!
In "other words" the connector between the small input circuit board of the Merlin ( "HC", AUX", RJ connectors) is "physically" disconnected from the main control board.
Big chances that the Main Merlin control board isn't faulty !!!!.

The best way is to dismantle the Merlin just to check if the connectors cables are still well connected and not loose !

For dismantling the Merlin, you should first remove the battery cover and the batteries, then the 4 screws under the Merlin Base and at the end the 2 screws retaining the vertical plastic cover (the 2 screws can be accessed in front of the Merlin (black part) just under the crown.

Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

claudevh wrote:
The best way is to dismantle the Merlin just to check if the connectors cables are still well connected and not loose !

I definitely agree!

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:26 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
@ Klaus: hm maybe upload the same ROM again. why: as long the TC gets power via cable it has to boot normally even without connection to a merlin, there is no bidirectional communication between TC and merlin (the same as using papywizzard). both does send the commands and have no clue/feedback if merlin is responding correct or not.

Hi Georg!

Right. But as Claube i also suspect a "mechanical" resp. "physical" issue - loose connection/soldering or so.

best to you (hope we´ll meet at the PK!? - Josef and i will be there on 19.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:39 pm 

@Ed, point goes to you ;)
and Claudes real hot hint is worth to check (and Ed, why are you hiding the "solution" with the connector in your first post after xxx words - important info always at first :D & ;) ...)
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 pm 

Ed,

This is my first intervention in the present subject ... I come to this conclusion from your first post CONFIRMED by the flashing buttons ...
That's it ... no more and certainly no polemics .

When you have a physical disconnection who will not let the current supply AND the signal reach the main board, you will get a "crash of Papywizard", this is the case also ...

Have fun !

Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:34 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
btw the quote was from my first post....:).

1) Not only in your´s . . it´s one of the first ideas coming to mind of course.
2) You tend to write very long sermons that at least i stop reading after the fourth sentence telling from the universe and Adam, Eve or both - sorry for being so blunt.

No hard feelings - but i´m somewhat short of time these days.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:18 am 

claudevh wrote:
richo7 wrote:
11 - NO - Guide 1 stays steady red, Set and Go flashes red at the same time. Buttons don't change or do anything else.
12 - Same things happens

This flashing of "Set" and "Go" indicate that the communications between the HC and/or AUx port are broken!
In "other words" the connector between the small input circuit board of the Merlin ( "HC", AUX", RJ connectors) is "physically" disconnected from the main control board.
Big chances that the Main Merlin control board isn't faulty !!!!.

For dismantling the Merlin, you should first remove the battery cover and the batteries, then the 4 screws under the Merlin Base and at the end the 2 screws retaining the vertical plastic cover (the 2 screws can be accessed in front of the Merlin (black part) just under the crown.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I have just been through everything I can testing this theory.
I have tested the cable with a multitester and all is well. I have examined the circuit board for dry solder joints and all is well there too (I know they could be hidden so I resoldered them just in case.

I have to say that I think the power is getting to all devices ie: HC, TC , BT but the communication is not there.
This still suggests to me that all of the devices are functioning (especially because I CAN communicate with the TC from PC via USB) and it is the Merlin unit communication (motherboard) module that has the problem.

I am going to contact the company in Melbourne and purchase a new unit and then I can try all accessories and see the fault is with the Merlin.
I can even change the motherboard I guess to confirm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:37 am 

An update to this situation.

I purchased the another unit, locally from a company in Sydney Australia (exactly the same) and it works perfectly with touch controller, bluetooth module etc. so it was definitely a fault in the Merlin head. Probably the main board.

I sent my broken unit to Kolor on 20/9 it arrived in France 27/9 and Alexandre has promised a replacement unit will be on the way asap (not sure how long is asap but I will post it here when it is sent).

Strange problem that occurred and I'd like to know why it failed but like all of these things, we will probably never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:16 am 

So, it appears that Alexandre J @ Kolor customer service is World Class, since they are doing this for you.. As they said before, they responded very quickly and sent cables, but they do get heaps of emails to read through... Take me.. I am still waiting for my birthday card..:D

Glad you had a good outcome.. I am sure your new unit will arrive soon.. ;)

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:34 am 

Panogear:

Want to get serious with my panos and think I need a arco-swiss plate accommodating system to upgrade to from my Panosaurus--which is great for lighter setups, but my D90 w 70-300 was too heavy for it--slippage and vibration issues.

So, I think I'm looking for "rigid and fast", first, and "light and cheap, if possible", second.

Anyone out there using the Nodal Ninja M1? (What does it weigh? How much weight is it rated for?)

...Or the Really Right Stuff pano rigs?

...or want to recommend a system involving Arca-Swiss plates? (I have a RRS L-bracket)

Looking for thoughts to help me figure things out.

Finally, I think I want a Nodal Ninja RD16 "clicking" rotator base for either system, unless someone tells me it's wobbly--thoughts?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:11 pm 

Well, hats off to Kolor - finally my new Panogear head arrived and works perfectly with the Touch Controller and Bluetooth Controller (at different times).
It did take quite a while but all is well now - Thanks Kolor!