Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 am 

I write here as I am having problems obtaining any support from Kolor for my Panogear unit.
I have only had it a few weeks and it will now not work.
I have contacted Kolor support by this website and direct email 4 times and have not had a reply so I am quite concerned.

The hand control just stays on the boot screen (showing the Version number etc) and stays there forever.
The bluetooth unit works (as in I can pair with it) but crashes and disconnects when trying to "connect" in Papywizard.

This seems to me to be a fault with the software/firmware in the Panogear.

If anyone at all can help then that would be great as I use the unit for Professional Real Estate photography and have clients screaming at me because they want work done.
I didn't think I'd need a back up but obviously I do.

More concerning is that I am not receiving help from Kolor.

I am hopeful that there is some logical reason that Kolor have not responded as up until now their service has been A1

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 am 

So your hand control has an LCD display?

I hope you don't try and use the Panogear mount with both the Bluettoth adapter and the hand control connected at the same time?

On what platform and with which OS are you running Papywizard?

Has the system ever worked correctly?

Just for the record what camera and lens(es) are you using with the Panogear system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 am 

Well I can't plug the bluetooth and the handcontrol into the same port as there is only one port for this.
So no - I haven't done that.

Running MAC OS Mountain Lion on MacBook PRO.
Running Panorama (HC software) in Parallels.

Yes, the HC has an LCD display.

Yes, everything was working fine, bluetooth and HC all working well.
It has just stopped for no reason.

The display works fine and everything turns on etc - it just doesn't go past the boot screen.
I can also communicate with the hand control (ie: upload and download) via computer so I am sure the HC is fine.

It appears to be the Panogear head that it faulty.

Camera: 5d Mk3 with various Canon lenses, 14mm, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 8-15mm Fisheye are what I have been using.

Last edited by richo7 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 am 

richo7 wrote:
I write here as I am having problems obtaining any support from Kolor for my Panogear unit.
I have only had it a few weeks and it will now not work.
I have contacted Kolor support by this website and direct email 4 times and have not had a reply so I am quite concerned.

The hand control just stays on the boot screen (showing the Version number etc) and stays there forever.
The bluetooth unit works (as in I can pair with it) but crashes and disconnects when trying to "connect" in Papywizard.

This seems to me to be a fault with the software/firmware in the Panogear.

If anyone at all can help then that would be great as I use the unit for Professional Real Estate photography and have clients screaming at me because they want work done.
I didn't think I'd need a back up but obviously I do.

More concerning is that I am not receiving help from Kolor.

I am hopeful that there is some logical reason that Kolor have not responded as up until now their service has been A1

Jeff

if you connect the TC handcontroller to a PC and you start the TC software, does it than work normal? (getting connection to PC and allowing downloading the fiiles, uploading the settings etc)
is your battery of your merlin/panogear full loaded when the handcontroller does stick in boot menu?

Ed, comment to your first image: on my merlin I did place a big sticker above the HC plug: "NO T&C Handcontroller". Dont know why anymore (to long ago) but I think to remember to never combine the TC handcontroller on HC port and the merlin remote handcontroller box (up/down/left//right etc buttons) on AUX or vice versa?
I know if TC handcontroller only is used it does work in AUX and in HC port....

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 am 

richo7 wrote:
Well I can't plug the bluetooth and the handcontrol into the same port as there is only one port for this.

The display works fine and everything turns on etc - it just doesn't go past the boot screen.
I can also communicate with the hand control (ie: upload and download) via computer so I am sure the HC is fine.

Camera: 5d Mk3 with various Canon lenses, 14mm, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 8-15mm Fisheye are what I have been using.

Ah ha... I think I misunderstood what you mean by 'hand controller'.

I think you may mean what is normally called the Touch Controller:

http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/accessories/controleur-tactile-autonome.html

Is that what you are talking about?

The HC and AUX sockets are wired in parallel you can use either - but not both at the same time.

If you can post the Papywizard log file here then it may provide a clue to the nature of the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 am 

Hi Jeff!

Please: can you precisely (!) describe what you do? By saying "Hand Controller": do you mean the T&C touch-control? I don´t think so - it has no Bluetooth.
Do you mean a Nokia message-pad running PapyWizard?

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
No no Klaus, this guy uses both a T&C Touch Controller (that has a boot screen and an LCD display and he seams to have bought the stuf from Kolor so an standard handcontroler is not part of the package I guess) and the standard Bleutooth connector......with a Nokia and Papywizard....why use both....haven't got a clue....?

Quote:

Allthough this is WEIRD :).....as it should have 2 ports the aux and the hc......both RJ11 connectors.....

Greets, Ed.

Sorry - didn´t realize you changed your name to Jeff.

Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
So the only thing he could have used is a T&C controller.....sold by Kolor.....able to connect to a computer....and with an LCD....which does display the software version at startup.....

Now if it looks like bird, flies like a bird and shits like a bird, the chances are it is a bird......that is the simple art of deduction Klaus, no name changes needed.....btw, I would have thought you would have had to contribute a more contructive view to the discussion.....

The point you miss is: i asked Jeff - i didn´t ask you. Wrong? And i definitely would prefer to get an answer by the one i asked the question.
Of course everybody can drop in - no problem at all, but . . . are you kind of a wizard reading Jeff´s mind or seeing in your mirror-ball what he´s using that you can answer for him?

I simply wanted to know facts instead of reading about your imaginations.

Klaus

PS: better leave deduction to Sherlock Holmes:

"The hand control just stays on the boot screen (showing the Version number etc) and stays there forever.
The bluetooth unit works (as in I can pair with it) but crashes and disconnects when trying to "connect" in Papywizard."

Last edited by klausesser on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:51 am 

Gee you guys.

Yes - it is the touch controller. Sorry. I do actually have the hand controller which came with the unit but that doesn't work either.
Bluetooth, yes, I wanted this because I have a 20metre mast which I put the panogear on to and tkae elevated 360 pano's.
Obviously I need bluetooth to make this work.

I purchased the Touch Controller so I can use the unit much simpler inside houses etc and don't have to bring the laptop.

Anyhow - none of this fixes the problema and still I hear nothing back from Kolor.
Where do I go to get a warranty claim. I purchased through Kolor so I would expect them but they do not reply - 1 week now!

The facts are that I have hand Controller, Touch Controller and Bluetooth Controller and nothing works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 am 

richo7 wrote:
Gee you guys.

Yes - it is the touch controller. Sorry. I do actually have the hand controller which came with the unit but that doesn't work either.
Bluetooth, yes, I wanted this because I have a 20metre mast which I put the panogear on to and tkae elevated 360 pano's.

I purchased the Touch Controller so I can use the unit much simpler inside houses etc and don't have to bring the laptop.

Anyhow - none of this fixes the problema and still I hear nothing back from Kolor.
Where do I go to get a warranty claim. I purchased through Kolor so I would expect them but they do not reply - 1 week now!

The facts are that I have hand Controller, Touch Controller and Bluetooth Controller and nothing works!

well. its no problem to call kolor.
its no problem to search any posts from Alexandre in forum and click on e-mail button to leave him, the CEO of Kolor & main developer etc., a note with a brief sumup and a link to your posts.

I never saw the TC handcontroller hanging. So one ore more devices seems to have technical problems and a RMA sounds logical (if not other simpler solutions could be checked before I dont know...)
Georg

PS: Sample posting from ALexandre: http://www.kolor.com/forum/t15745-autopano-engine-v3.0.0-alpha-3

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am 

richo7 wrote:
Gee you guys.

Hi Jeff!

Now this is the information needed. No guessing but hard facts.

What you stated initialy was a bit misunderstandable because you mixed T&C - which has no and doesn´t work with Bluetooth - and Bluetooth and so on.
I guessed you´re talking about all three items - but as i said: that could only be guessing.

Because i know the T&C conroller very well i can tell: if there´s a boot-screen then the device is ok and runs.

Hearing from you that the original hand-controller doesn´t work also i would "deduce" a fault inside the Merlin. I heard about issues with the Merlin´s connections from time to time.

It surprises me that Kolor didn´t respond so far - usually they´re very reliable and fast reacting.

I´ll forward this thread to Josef, the maker of the T&C controller, who n´knopws the Merlin better than me.

Let me ask: what happens, when you switch on the Merlin with plugged-in the original hand controller? You said it doesn´t work also - but does it make any noise?
Are you sure to have put in the bateries correctly (sorry for that question - but **** happens ;) . . )
Are you using the LiIo set with the adapters?

When you connect the T&C and it´s bootscreen appears it means the Merlin has power and gives power to the T&C also. So i don´t think it´s a power-issue, but nevertheless i suggest to look at it - the head needs more power to operate than the T&C does and so there might be an issue though the screen is lit.

We need to work further piece by piece - and not by guessing or deducing but by evaluating hard fact by hard fact. I´ll phone Josef in the afternoon and will ask
him for an engineer´s advice.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:08 pm 

Hi Klaus - thank you.
Kolor finally responded with an email asking for more info (you've got to be kidding!!!)
Now they haven't responded again.
I even told them I want to purchase a new Merlin and want to purchase a replacement main circuit board (I think this is the problem).
No response.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Merlin unit or spare parts from as I need this working now?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

richo7 wrote:
Hi Klaus - thank you.
Kolor finally responded with an email asking for more info (you've got to be kidding!!!)
I even told them I want to purchase a new Merlin and want to purchase a replacement main circuit board (I think this is the problem).
No response.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Merlin unit or spare parts from as I need this working now?

Thanks

Jeff - Kolor is a small company. They don´t have dozends of supporters sitting on hotline-desks somewhere in India . . ;):cool:
So give them some time for responding.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:24 pm 

klausesser wrote:
richo7 wrote:
Hi Klaus - thank you.
No response.

Thanks

Jeff - Kolor is a small company. They don´t have dozends of supporters sitting on hotline-desks somewhere in India . . ;):cool:
So give them some time for responding.

best, Klaus

That's ok, but 2 people emailed me within 5 minutes and I responded within 1 minute and then nothing.
Bloody annoying - sorry but 1 week is too long to respond for any company big or small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 pm 

richo7 wrote:
That's ok, but 2 people emailed me within 5 minutes and I responded within 1 minute and then nothing.
Bloody annoying - sorry but 1 week is too long to respond for any company big or small.

As i understood they asked you for more information - did you provide it? If you did i guess they must evaluate the information first.

Your issue isn´t trivial - there can be several reasons. "Remote diagnostics" can be complicated.

besides: i guess you set up your TC correctly using the little application Josef made? You use the serial cable which comes with the TC? Where do you plug in the camera: on the head or on the TC? Given you use the LiIO akkus using the battery-holder by Josef: is it correctly snapped-in? You´re sure the akkus have enough power?
Did you connect anything else to the head at the same time?

"Yes - it is the touch controller. Sorry. I do actually have the hand controller which came with the unit but that doesn't work either.
Obviously I need bluetooth to make this work."

what´s not completely (!) clear to me: you had the head working with your laptop via USB using PapyWizard?

I´m somewhat confusd by your descriptions - i´m used to pin down facts more exactly.

let´s try:

You put the batteries/LiIo akkus into the head by using the battery-holder.
You connected the TC using the short cable TC provides (which btw. can be about 25m long without issues - so it doesn´t have to be Bluetooth necessarily).
You switch on the head.
The TC´s screen shows - but then it hangs.

Where did you plug in the camera? Head or TC?
Which camera? Did you use the camera-remote cable before successfully?
What cable do you have for camera/head or camera/TC connection? The TC has a 3,5mm jack, the head has a 2,5mm jack as i remember.

Does the same issue appear when you connect only the TC - without having the camera connected?

Sorry for asking - but we need to exclude possible failure-aspects to find the real one. If all the named aspects are correct there must be an issue inside the Merlin´s
electronical or mechanical parts.
Do you have access to another Merlin in your region for testing/comparing?

Where are you located anyway?

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:33 pm 

richo7 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Merlin unit

Where are you located? There are several sources in the UK:

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/acuter_spottingscope/acuter_merlin_mount_fs.htm

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Nature/Nat-Supports.asp?p=0_13_4_10_100

http://www.cameracentre.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=22&products_id=397

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/acuter-merlin-multi-function-mount-tripod_d2054.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/merlin/merlin-tabletop-goto-mount.html

Quote:
or spare parts from as I need this working now?

I don't know of any source of spare parts - these mounts are low cost items made in China and I don't think there's any spares distribution system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 pm 

about spare parts its worth a call or an email to the Teleskop Austria Shop.
I knwo they have spare handcontrollers for the merlin, maybe they're also other parts. I myself bought there a used Merlin. Does work for years now...
http://www.teleskop-austria.at/shop/
but before asking/ordering spare parts I would check first all postings above....

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:43 pm 

@Jeff:

We answered your messages and even sent you a new set of cables, for which you thanked us. You also congratulated us for our great support.
Your many latest e-mails were sent within a short period of time and we couldn't answer them as fast as you were probably excpecting.
We receive many messages from our clients and try to answer them as fast as we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:15 am 

Nobody expects miracles but good customer service yes.
1 week to reply to a simple email is not good customer service in my view.

Yes, I am an unhappy chappy and this is because I received the complete Panogear system sent from France to Australia in less time than it took to reply to my email.

I know I now have a problem and this is where I need help. I actually don't care about warranty fix or anything. I just want a new motherboard as I KNOW this is the problem. We can spend days trying to figure everything out but I don;t have time for that.
I run a business and I use this Merlin for business. It's not a fun thing to do on the weekend for me.

I have even offered to buy and new Merlin (just the unit not all the extras) and buy a new motherboard but again, no reply. YET they have time to reply of the forum. Now sorry but reply to my email instead!!!! That's just silly.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about the store in Austria, they have what I want but it's a little hard to read the website as I only speak/read English. I did click the button to change the language but it's still difficult.
If anyone could contact them on my behalf that would be great. I placed an order for the Merlin and a motherboard but need them to contact me. If someone could ask them about this order then I'd appreciate it.

I need to get this item to Australia fast.

Further: Kolor were great when purchasing the item, I bought second batteries and the touch controller and had a problem with the camera cable (which they also sent free) and everything arrived fast and accurate.
I even thanked them for customer support.
Now: I have a problem and I don't even get a simple email response, I'm asked for more information which there isn't any and this has now ben going on for a week and I am nowhere.
I am losing business because I cannot use this item and yes, I am a very unhappy chappy.

As was said, true customer service shines when you HELP as customer who has a problem and do everything you can. Not just put your head in the sand.

I thank the users on this forum and the power of the Internet in actually listening and responding.

Last edited by richo7 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 am 

Artisan S. wrote:
Ah, see....that figures Rami....but turning a unhappy chappy in a happy chappy again is allways difficult....never the less the cables ar probably not to blame in this case, unfortunatly (IMHO)....and remember Rami, I know from experience the saying "the customer is always right" is a mantra that has to be obayed but is actually mostly untrue :).

Greets, Ed.

The cable has absolutely nothing to do with the problem as it is the trigger cable for the camera.
Totally unrelated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:27 am 

richo7 wrote:

"IT just stopped for no reason."
This is hard to believe. The Merlin is robust. mine for example felt down from 2m directly on wooden floor. Plastic does have some scratches, but works perfect, nothing is broken.

1. Did you ever plugin in the Merlin Handcontroller to port HC and additional at same time the TC controller to the AUX Port? - if yes - you can damage the Merlin according to merlin manual...
2. Did you ever use any version of batteries and at same time the external AC/DC Power plug? if yes - you can damage...
3. Did you plug external power supply to the OUT Port. if yes - you can damage...
4. what happens if you plug the TC handcontroller to AUX port - the HC Port is empty - and you turn the merlin on...
5. which version of TC do you use (shown in bootmenu)
6. check the batteries with a voltmeter to check if they are fully loaded. Maybe one is damaged and so in total the TC handcontroller does not get enough power from merlin (this happens quiet often is using the default battery system with simple AA/HR6 accus when they are getting lower 70 or even 80% capacity.)
7. check the default cable (5cm or so) for merlin<->TC handcontroller device. Sometimes, if cable does have 1 or 2mm gap there's "not enough" connection.
8. if you coonect your TC handcontroller via mini usb cable to your PC, does the default provided PC Software from Josef Graessle get connection to the TC or is there also the screen haning(http://www.typeandcolour.de/index.php?tp=Produkte&up=cont) one more source for the merlin, the developer of the TC handcontroller
9. why do you try to use the TC handcontroller and the bluethooth both connected to the Merlin (or do I misunderstand this)?
10. is the shutter cable from your Canon connected to the TC handcontroller or to the Merlin (both may work if some versions of TC handcontroller ROM is installed; only first version will work on some other TC handcontroller ROM versions...)
11. if you plug the merlin handcontroller to AUX and HC Port is empty, does the Head move by using the up,down,left and right arrow keys?
12. Same but with handcontroller plugged to HC port and AUX is empty? (both should work...)

Klaus, maybe Josef can email him a ROM update for his TC handcontroller, so this error source can be eliminated. If ROM update works and still hangs while booting than... the ball goes to merlin.

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 am 

gkaefer wrote:
richo7 wrote:

"IT just stopped for no reason."
This is hard to believe. The Merlin is robust. mine for example felt down from 2m directly on wooden floor. Plastic does have some scratches, but works perfect, nothing is broken.

1. Did you ever plugin in the Merlin Handcontroller to port HC and additional at same time the TC controller to the AUX Port? - if yes - you can damage the Merlin according to merlin manual...
2. Did you ever use any version of batteries and at same time the external AC/DC Power plug? if yes - you can damage...
3. Did you plug external power supply to the OUT Port. if yes - you can damage...
4. what happens if you plug the TC handcontroller to AUX port - the HC Port is empty - and you turn the merlin on...
5. which version of TC do you use (shown in bootmenu)
6. check the batteries with a voltmeter to check if they are fully loaded. Maybe one is damaged and so in total the TC handcontroller does not get enough power from merlin (this happens quiet often is using the default battery system with simple AA/HR6 accus when they are getting lower 70 or even 80% capacity.)
7. check the default cable (5cm or so) for merlin<->TC handcontroller device. Sometimes, if cable does have 1 or 2mm gap there's "not enough" connection.
8. if you coonect your TC handcontroller via mini usb cable to your PC, does the default provided PC Software from Josef Graessle get connection to the TC or is there also the screen haning(http://www.typeandcolour.de/index.php?tp=Produkte&up=cont) one more source for the merlin, the developer of the TC handcontroller
9. why do you try to use the TC handcontroller and the bluethooth both connected to the Merlin (or do I misunderstand this)?
10. is the shutter cable from your Canon connected to the TC handcontroller or to the Merlin (both may work if some versions of TC handcontroller ROM is installed; only first version will work on some other TC handcontroller ROM versions...)
11. if you plug the merlin handcontroller to AUX and HC Port is empty, does the Head move by using the up,down,left and right arrow keys?
12. Same but with handcontroller plugged to HC port and AUX is empty? (both should work...)

Klaus, maybe Josef can email him a ROM update for his TC handcontroller, so this error source can be eliminated. If ROM update works and still hangs while booting than... the ball goes to merlin.

Georg

You know - everyone is trying to out think what is going on. It doesn't work - simple. It was working nothing changed and now it doesn't work.

1 - NO
2 - NO
3 - NO
4 - SAME - boot screen and nothing else.
5 - 2.6
6 - Fully charged - I have 4 batteries - 2 sets) and neither makes any difference. Also tried with AA batteries and makes no difference.
7 - checked - seems ok - went and purchased another cable - same thing
8 - YES - works perfectly
9 - Because I take photos inside houses and use the Touch Controller for this as it simple and easy. When I put it 20mt in the air, I use the bluetooth. Makes perfect sense and makes no difference to my problem. I don't use at the same time!
10 - to the Merlin - worked perfectly
11 - NO - Guide 1 stays steady red, Set and Go flashes red at the same time. Buttons don't change or do anything else.
12 - Same things happens

Formula 1 cars are also robust but guess what - they stop working too!!!

Last edited by richo7 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 am 

ad point 11. sorry - didnt mention complete command sequence: after plugging the handcontroller to AUX and HC the Button 1 "GUIDE" is red. press button 3 "FAST" once and than the arrow buttons do move the merlin. So we can check the motors...
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 am 

gkaefer wrote:

Hey Georg!

I just talked to Josef about this matter - the actual version is 2.6, the one Jeff has already.
Josef means if it´s not a broken comminication caused by the cable it´s the board resp. a piece of loosened contact on the board. He suggests to open the Merlin and have a look
whether something visible is loose (bad soldering, mechanical stress or so).
Of course some chip can be damaged - but that must have a reason when it happens fom one moment to the other.

@Jeff: did the issue happen - the head stop - while you were shooting or did it run, you shut it down and when you started it again the issue appeared?

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
Good idea.....then the GO TO chips on the mainboard should be shunted and you could talk directly to the motors....btw Georg, do you know wether the base of this mount can be removed:

http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/Alt-Az-Mounts/SkyWatcher-Multi-Function-Mount/1478/productview.aspx

This is for sale in Australia about 645 km from Jeff's location, if my deductions are correct.

Greets, Ed..

yes...

@ Klaus: hm maybe upload the same ROM again. why: as long the TC gets power via cable it has to boot normally even without connection to a merlin, there is no bidirectional communication between TC and merlin (the same as using papywizzard). both does send the commands and have no clue/feedback if merlin is responding correct or not.

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.