Can I make HDR spherical panorama's (360 x 180)?  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:39 pm

RobertV. wrote:
"I found some info that suggest that the dimension from base of camera to bcentre of lens axis on the G11 is approx. 29mm - if the G10 is the same you should have no problems."

I have to correct for about 22mm to get the G10 alligned (with the T-adapter), is that what you mean?

I was talking about what is termed 'Tripod mount height (H)' in these tables:

http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:48 pm

RobertV. wrote:
"When shooting with longer focal length lenses - and your widest/shortest on the G10 is 28mm (35mm equiv) I believe - then you are quite likely to end up with some 'featureless' images in your image set - such as plain blue sky, or plain whilte walls or ceiling and so on. The XML format data file generated by Papywizard or the Touch Controller and used by APP/APG can handle this issue but (as far as I know) PTGui has no similar capability."

That's exactly the problem I have now (with ptgui), it's a shame really, that ptgui doesn't understand that each set of three pictures should be placed next to eachother... Sometimes I find pieces of the floor on the roof!

If you want to experiment with APP/APG to see the Papywizard Import wizard at work placing 'featureless' images then here's a 120 image Mosaic/partial pano data set with its XML data file. The secne if of no real interest other than that it's a suitable test for placement of 'featureless' images. Don't use APP/APG V3 alpha as the Papywizard Import wizard is reported to be 'broken' in that version.

http://www.three60views.org.uk/image_sets/merlin-mosaic-front-120.zip (approx. 21MB)

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
RobertV.

by RobertV. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Ok, now I understand, the H of the g10 is approx 28 to 29mm

I tested with your pano, auto giga worked perfect with the xml. PTgui lost it in the sky, and there was even some sky on the ground.
Auto giga did tell me that there was a difference between the EXIF and xml focal length.

Auto giga does not have the ability to remove objects from the hdr by using masks like ptgui, perhaps that's something for the future.

hmm, I see that ptgui has a new feature, align to grid... going to try that out.
Last edited by RobertV. on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
RobertV.

by RobertV. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:52 pm

"good news" they fixed it with the latest update. PTgui stiches it correctly now, by using align to grid.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 pm

RobertV. wrote:"good news" they fixed it with the latest update. PTgui stiTches it correctly now, by using align to grid.

That's fine if you are just going to shoot regular grid/matrix patterns, but when shooting spheres, as opposed to mosaic partial panos, it's better to reduce the number of images per row as you approach the zenith and nadir to avoid excessive overlapping which can itself cause stitching problems and of course shooting fewer images reduces the duration of a shoot.

Another issue that may or may not be a factor for you is that APG has proven ability to be able to stitch massive image sets, from what I've read PTGui is less reliable when faced with such image sets.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 pm

RobertV. wrote:I tested with your pano, auto giga worked perfect with the xml. PTgui lost it in the sky, and there was even some sky on the ground.
Auto giga did tell me that there was a difference between the EXIF and xml focal length.

I entered the focal length incorrectly when configuring Papywizard. So choose to go with the EXIF.

Auto giga does not have the ability to remove objects from the hdr by using masks like ptgui, perhaps that's something for the future.

APG Version 3 - alpha version available now - will have a conceptually similar capability but implemented in a rather different way.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
RobertV.

by RobertV. » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:01 am

Well,

"That's fine if you are just going to shoot regular grid/matrix patterns, but when shooting spheres, as opposed to mosaic partial panos, it's better to reduce the number of images per row as you approach the zenith and nadir to avoid excessive overlapping which can itself cause stitching problems and of course shooting fewer images reduces the duration of a shoot."

I found that out myself 5min ago, the ground is ok but the blue sky with clouds (although much better than before the grid option) is still very messy (I do have to point out that it was a very windy day and the clouds changed every second).

I want to thank you for all the time and I'll proceed with buying the panogear in september.

no avatar
sanje

by sanje » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:57 am

Robert, did you buy the Panogear and were you able to make spherical hdri's with it as you had planned?
I wish to do the same and am trying to decide between the Panogear and the MK Panomachine. I would appreciate knowing how your experience has been so far.
Thanks in advance
Sanje

no avatar
RobertV.

by RobertV. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi Sanje,

I have ordered my panogear 2 days ago, I expect it to be delivered tomorrow or the day after.

I googled MK Panomachine, and I have to say... 1500 euro's is a lot. I paid 685 for the panogear (incl. transport)
Furthermore, the software looks quite different. Cannot see if they also have something similar like XML support.

I will tell how things went with both my Canon G10 and Nikon D7000.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 pm

RobertV. wrote:Hi Sanje,

I have ordered my panogear 2 days ago, I expect it to be delivered tomorrow or the day after.

I googled MK Panomachine, and I have to say... 1500 euro's is a lot. I paid 685 for the panogear (incl. transport)
Furthermore, the software looks quite different. Cannot see if they also have something similar like XML support.

I will tell how things went with both my Canon G10 and Nikon D7000.

Panomachine´s 1500.-€ is for horizontal only. For the x and y motorized spherical version it´s 2900,-€ incl VAT. And: no, it doesn´t write xml afaik.

The Merlin/Panogear is an excellent choice in terms of cost-effectiveness. It has it´s limits of course. I used it up to 300mm without any problems - but it was rather slow with PapyWizard.
Using the T&C handheld speeds up the Merlin and provides faster and more reliable functionality - it´s worth the extra price.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
RobertV.

by RobertV. » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:16 am

Well, there you go Sanje:
Do you want to spend 2900 or 680?

Even with the touch control added (around 300) the price won't come near the 2900.

Previous

Return to Panogear