looking for contact to help me with Panogear in or near Bonn...  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
FrankFr

looking for contact to help me with Panogear in or near Bonn...

by FrankFr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:45 am

Hello Forum!

I own and use the following Cameras and lenses:

Nikon D3
Nikon D7000
Nikkor 1.4/24G
Nikkor 2,.8/24AF
Nikkor 1.4/59G
Nikkor 2.8/60G
Nikkor 1.8/85G

I want to use Panogear with the D3 OR the D7000 and the 1.4/24G (and also the 2.8/60G for Macropanos), but I cannot get it to work the way I want it.

The D3 seems to build to high as well as the D7000 and there is no adjustment for the height, to align the center of the lens with the optical axis.

I learned from the Forum I might need a "head modification" to use the Panogear with either D3 or D7000.

I need help, physically, a meetup preferably with some Forum member from Bonn, Germany or near my hometown. I want to see how someone here got a NON FISHEYE setup to work.

For my kind of panography (interieur, macro) I need to adjust entrance pupil to the millimeter. Currently I seem centimeters away and did not find a way to get it to work.

Who can help? Where can I find a KOLOR meetup?

Frank

PS: I am in panography since 2005 and curretly use a big Novoflex manual VR system, which works fine. There are however some cases where I want and need automation.

PPS: example for corrupt test shot:

Last edited by FrankFr on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:50 am

FrankFr wrote:Hello Forum!

I own and use the following Cameras and lenses:

Nikon D3
Nikon D7000
Nikkor 1.4/24G
Nikkor 2,.8/24AF
Nikkor 1.4/59G
Nikkor 2.8/60G
Nikkor 1.8/85G

I want to use Panogear with the D3 OR the D7000 and the 1.4/24G (and also the 2.8/60G for Macropanos), but I cannot get it to work the way I want it.

The D3 seems to build to high as well as the D7000 and there is no adjustment for the height, to align the center of the lens with the optical axis.

I learned from the Forum I might need a "head modification" to use the Panogear with either D3 or D7000.........

...........I am in panography since 2005 and curretly use a big Novoflex manual VR system, which works fine. There are however some cases where I want and need automation.

Welcome to the forum...

This table shows that unfortunately it will not be possible to modify the Merlin/Panogear mount to enable you to mount your D3 at the NPP.

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-fr/images-fr/3/37/All_Camera_to_be_pub_V3.pdf

If the dimension between the base of the camera and the centre of the lens mount on your D7000 is less than 63mm then the table suggests alternative types of modification; but if that dimension is greater than 63mm then you will not be able to modify the Merlin/Panogear mount to enable you to mount that camera at the NPP either.

The upcoming Panoneed robot pano head from T&C (in Dusseldorf) would be a much better solution for your equipment.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:40 am

FrankFr wrote:Who can help? Where can I find a KOLOR meetup?

Hi Frank!

Did you try it in landscape-mode using the L-bracket? Afaik it should work when you mount the camera in the way that the vertical arm is on the left side instead on the right because the camera´s left side is narrower.

best, Klaus

P.S.: in Bonn there´s Jo Lutum located if i remember well. He´s also here in the forum.

http://www.360cities.net/de/profile/jo-lutum
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
FrankFr

by FrankFr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Thank you for your answers!

Yes, I know Joachim, I have visited him in his office in 2009, when he was developing panogear, which looked pretty much the same then as it looks now in the final version I just bought. He was using it with a Symbian-Phone, bluetooth and a small Olympus DSLR.

As I understood, there is no documentation on the .net yet concerning Panogear & D7000 or someone explicitly and successfully using that combo?

With the 1.4/50G and the 2.8/24AF its easy to get (at least) the NPP for the lens set right, but both optics do not work well with the D7000 (very soft results, lots of post processiong, no fine details).

The best from my optics for panos is the 1.4/24G. I use it professionally with the Novoflex & D3, but it seems to be to big for Panogear?

Any help or contact appreciated.

Frank

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm

FrankFr wrote:Thank you for your answers!

Yes, I know Joachim, I have visited him in his office in 2009, when he was developing panogear, which looked pretty much the same then as it looks now in the final version I just bought. He was using it with a Symbian-Phone, bluetooth and a small Olympus DSLR.

As I understood, there is no documentation on the .net yet concerning Panogear & D7000 or someone explicitly and successfully using that combo?

With the 1.4/50G and the 2.8/24AF its easy to get (at least) the NPP for the lens set right, but both optics do not work well with the D7000 (very soft results, lots of post processiong, no fine details).

The best from my optics for panos is the 1.4/24G. I use it professionally with the Novoflex & D3, but it seems to be to big for Panogear?

Any help or contact appreciated.

Frank

You cannot modify the Panogear mount to allow you to set the D3+1.4/24G at the NPP.

You should be able to modify the Panogear mount to allow you to set the D7000+1.4/24G at the NPP.

Initially try increasing the clearance on the yaw axis by separating the vertical arm from the base by a few mm.

Beyond that you would need to modify the dovetail clamp/crown.

As others have pointed out the Panogear system will still have a large nadir 'foot print'.

The upcoming Panoneed mount would be able to handle any of your camera/lens combinations, and will have a much smaller nadir footprint, and be much faster.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
FrankFr

by FrankFr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Thank you mediavets!

I am contemplating to sell the Panogear, if I cannot make it work with the D7000 & 1.4/24G.

The barrel width seems to be the problem if I use the lens hood, but not without it.

I will check again how to bring D7000 & Panogear together utilizing your Tipps.

Here is one of my favorite Panos from 2005:

An here is the Making of:

http://www.willemvandenhoed.nl/2005/08/07/ngudu-at-work/

Return to Panogear