Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: gigapixel projects
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hi,
We are new to creating gigapixel panoramas. Have autopano giga and panogear. We would really apprecaite it if someone could let us know where we could find the best source of information to learn about the best way to create gigapixels; what lenses and the number of pictures etc.

Many thanks.

Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:25 pm 

nigel Dawkins wrote:
Hi,
We are new to creating gigapixel panoramas. Have autopano giga and panogear. We would really apprecaite it if someone could let us know where we could find the best source of information to learn about the best way to create gigapixels; what lenses and the number of pictures etc.

Many thanks.

Nigel

Welcome to the forum...

What camera(s) and lens(es) do you wish to use with the Panogear mount to shoot hi-res panos?

What sort of pano scenes do you plan to shoot - for example, interior sphericals or outdoor distant landscape partial panos?

Your answers will determine information about how best to set up camera/lens and Panogear mount.

Do you have the Touch Controller for the Panogear mount or will you be controlling the Panogear mount using the Papywizard software via a Bluetooth wireless connection?

If you are using the Touch Controller, as I understand it, you simply need to configure the sytem for your camera/lens combinations and the controller will automatically calculate the shooting patterns whether shooting spherical (panos witha FOV of 360x180)or moasic/partial panos (pano witha FOV of less sthan 360x180). I don't have a Touch Controller.

If you plan to use Papywizard what host platform and operating system will you be using? Windows? Nokia Internet tablet and Maemo? Apple Mac? I use Papywizard on Nokia N800 and N810 Internet Tablets and Windows 2000 and XP/32.

Papywizard will run in simulation mode - not connected to a pano gera mount - so you can explore how it works and also investigate the results you'll obtain when shooting in Mosaic mode with different camera/lens combinations.

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm 

Many thanks for responding

What camera(s) and lens(es) do you wish to use with the Panogear mount to shoot hi-res panos?

We're using a Canon EOS550D and have a Sigma 10 - 20mm lens and also the standard 18 - 55mm that came with the camera. We would like to know really what type of lens would be best for each type of scenario below.

What sort of pano scenes do you plan to shoot - for example, interior sphericals or outdoor distant landscape partial panos?

We're looking at doing two different scenarios - some outdoor ones where we'd like to pick up stuff in the distance and also closer (to be taken from the top of a large office block in a city centre perhaps)

We also want to do some panoramas inside building of various sizes - from relatively small rooms (about 12ft square) upto larger halls and function rooms - (45 - 60ft square)

Your answers will determine information about how best to set up camera/lens and Panogear mount.

Do you have the Touch Controller for the Panogear mount or will you be controlling the Panogear mount using the Papywizard software via a Bluetooth wireless connection?

No, we're using Papywizard and bluetooth

If you are using the Touch Controller, as I understand it, you simply need to configure the sytem for your camera/lens combinations and the controller will automatically calculate the shooting patterns whether shooting spherical (panos witha FOV of 360x180)or moasic/partial panos (pano witha FOV of less sthan 360x180). I don't have a Touch Controller.

If you plan to use Papywizard what host platform and operating system will you be using? Windows? Nokia Internet tablet and Maemo? Apple Mac? I use Papywizard on Nokia N800 and N810 Internet Tablets and Windows 2000 and XP/32.

We're using Papywizard on a Windows 7 laptop.

Many thanks for any information.

Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:29 pm 

nigel Dawkins wrote:
We're using a Canon EOS550D and have a Sigma 10 - 20mm lens and also the standard 18 - 55mm that came with the camera. We would like to know really what type of lens would be best for each type of scenario below.

We're looking at doing two different scenarios - some outdoor ones where we'd like to pick up stuff in the distance and also closer (to be taken from the top of a large office block in a city centre perhaps)

Try the 18-55mm zoom at 55mm to start with and see how you get on with some small test panos.

I'd probably opt for a 50mm or 85mm prime if I had those available.

You will be shooting these panos in Mosaic mode so you can run Papywizard in simulation mode to get some idea of the no. of images you'd need for a particular pano Field Of View (FOV) and estimated resolution of pano image.

It all depends on how much resolution (pixel dimensions of stitched pano) you want really. But the longer the focal length the more complicated it all gets for a whole host of reasons. So don't try and run before you can walk.

Will these panos be for online display or for printing?

Quote:
We also want to do some panoramas inside building of various sizes - from relatively small rooms (about 12ft square) upto larger halls and function rooms - (45 - 60ft square)

I would choose a fullframe fisheye lens for those interior spherical panos - For you Canon the options are the Sigma 10mm, or possibly the Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye, or maybe the fully manual Samyang 8mm ot its branded clones if you feel up to coping with manual lens.

If getting a fisheye is out of the question try using your Sigma 10-20mm rectilinear lens - you will be running Papywizard in Preset mode for interior sphericals but I think you may have to construct a custom preset for your lens. If so then the format is here:
http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/UserGuideSvn#Presetmode

And you'll find suggestions for a shooting pattern here:
http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/sigma/

But avoid high positive picth values that may result in a collision between the camera and the Merlin/Panogear mount. After setting your camera/lens at the No Parallax Point (NPP) move the head using the arrow icons to determine the max. viable positive pitch value you can achieve without the camera colliding with the mount.

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 am 

Many thanks for your reply. That is really helpful. I think your comment, walk before you can run is very wise.

Once again many thanks.