GiroCam  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
BogdanDum

GiroCam

by BogdanDum » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am

Is GiroCam still in production...?
I've written some messages (on this site and on GiroCam.com) but no answer so far...
I want to know if I can count on having this device; besides, I'd like some more info... do you think I should stick w/ it, or a change in plans is recommendable...?

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 am

Welcome to the forum

BogdanDum wrote:Is GiroCam still in production...?

Don't know.

I've written some messages (on this site and on GiroCam.com) but no answer so far...
I want to know if I can count on having this device; besides, I'd like some more info... do you think I should stick w/ it, or a change in plans is recommendable...?

What did you hope to use the Girocam for? And what is your budget?

It may be that there is a better alternative solution anyway.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
BogdanDum

by BogdanDum » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 am

I need quick panorama - the critical factor is "Time"... I'd have to get approx 30 pano/day, for about 5 months.
Budget - depending on what I get. I've get in touch w/ ncTech for their iSTAR, and thier prices seem OK to me. Though, Girocam would be a third of their price...

Thanks for your answer, anywas... although it is "I don't know".... Which remembers me a joke:

One company put an ad for a secretary vacancy; they were asking a young lady, able to use an office suite.
Next day, at the H hour, in front of their door was only an old man... They waited for a while, but, while nobody else came, they invited the old man inside. They asked him:
- Sir, our ad was about an young lady... You are not young, obviously... are you a lady...?
- No, he answered
- Do you eventaully know how to use a computer... an office suite...?
- No
- Then... could you please tell us why are you here...?
- I just want to tell you: Don't count on me!
;)

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 am

BogdanDum wrote:I need quick panorama - the critical factor is "Time"... I'd have to get approx 30 pano/day, for about 5 months.
Budget - depending on what I get. I've get in touch w/ ncTech for their iSTAR, and thier prices seem OK to me. Though, Girocam would be a third of their price...

My suggestion: use a fullframe camera with a good fisheye and a manual head like a NodalNinja or any other one.

When it comes to time-critical production of many panos in a short time that´s definitely the most clever solution. You can shoot a sphere in first-class quality easily in about 30 sconds - and the whole thing you can get for good price. You even might take a DX-camera with a good 10,5mm fisheye like the Nikon.

You know: a one-shot solution usually bear big compromises - big Nadir-hole and very limited resolution due to cheap lenses and small chips . . . and
you don´t have a real advantage even with stitching and rendering.

Installing a clever workflow - precise aligning of camera/head and nearly automatic stitching in APG when everything fits - you can be very fast and deliver professional quality at the same time.

Which i doubt is possible at all with one-shot devices.

I don´t see any advantage in using them - not even for speed.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
BogdanDum

by BogdanDum » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:42 am

Klaus,

you are absolutely right, thanks for opening my eyes...
What I actually have is an "industrial scale" project, in construction industry actually (I assimilated the activity w/ a wedding, or a meeting, for Autopano guys), and I have to work w/ a large team of... newbies; though my intention was aiming to provide them w/ a device supposingly doing all the work by itself... But you're right: the "post production" would be a pain :-) ... (not to mention the final quality)
Besides... the guys at Giroptic behave like they're ashamed w/ their product (actually not listed anymore on their website), or like my questions really interrupted them from something important...
The iSTAR is still an option - my projects are not really for RealEstate or Art... it's more technical, 3D modelling, and I need rather precision (thanks again, Klaus) than "good looking" aspect.
BUT I think I'll be spending a small amount in training the guys, all-together... Hopefully they'll be staying w/ me till the end of the project after that training :-)

Destiny:
iSTAR vs Tamaggo is Audi vs Trabant... Should I mention I owned a Trabant 15 yrs ago, and I've been very happy w/ it...? :-P

Thanks all for your kind answers.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 am

BogdanDum wrote:The iSTAR is still an option - my projects are not really for RealEstate or Art... it's more technical, 3D modelling, and I need rather precision (thanks again, Klaus) than "good looking" aspect..

How much does the iStar cost?

Will you be shooting from a tripod or a pole?

If from a pole, how high a pole?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Return to Panogear