Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:01 pm 

Well, today's shoot couldn't have gone worse. It was the first big shoot with the panogear head. We did several other small tests that turned out well, so I was quite confident we would just have to set things up in papywizard and let things click away...

Around 3 hours into a 5 hour shoot, Papywizard in the mac "quit unexpectedly." We freaked out a bit and then realised that we could rewind to the begining of the row and reshoot with the same pitch/yaw as before. after, we could append the new xlm to the old, and hopefully everything would match up.

well, when we went to shoot again, we had this (see image)

we didn't do anything special to get this weird purple situation. once we hit "shoot", the merlin moved through from the bottom left to middle right, (which is where it stopped shooting/crashed before), and started taking photos. it would have been great, except only the bottom left most part of the shoot needed to be "fast forwarded". the entire left 1/3rd of the pano was skipped. very weird stuff.

so instead of losing that 1/3rd of the pano, we decided to reboot the camera, panogear, and computer and enter the pitch and yaw again (starting from the last row recorded in the xml). what we found was the pitch/yaw location was not the same. the world-space had shifted. whatver the coordinates were before the reboot did not yeild the same aboslute location, even though nothing had moved.

so, we basically eyeballed it and now have 2 xml files with 2 gigapanos that need to be combined - i don't know how to do this, is it easy?

today has been a nightmare of a day. :( all this happened, we got kicked off the rooftop by the police before the shoot was over, we're sunburned, and we don't have a working pano or the ability to use that location anymore.

oh yeah, and my SSD drive i just overpaid for is FAKE (it's a samsung 470 series instead of the 830). seriously china...wtf. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:22 pm 

What pattern were you shooting?

From top left row by row with return, or without return, at end of each row? Or something else?

Did Papywizard quite completely on the Mac, no error messages or anything?

I'm not sure it's relevant to part of the problem you had but once you 'rebooted' the Panogear mount it would have 'lost' it's previous zero/zero reference position, from which shooting positions are calculated and recorded.

By default the zero/zero position will be whatever position the mount is in when powered up. You can manually set a user-defined reference position at any time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:28 pm 

inMotion wrote:
so instead of losing that 1/3rd of the pano, we decided to reboot the camera, panogear, and computer and enter the pitch and yaw again (starting from the last row recorded in the xml). what we found was the pitch/yaw location was not the same. the world-space had shifted. whatver the coordinates were before the reboot did not yeild the same aboslute location, even though nothing had moved.

so, we basically eyeballed it and now have 2 xml files with 2 gigapanos that need to be combined - i don't know how to do this, is it easy?(

I don't quite understand what you did but if the two gigapanos data files do not relate to the same zero/zero refernce position then I'm not sure how you could proceed.

OTOH if they relate to the same zero/zero reference point (give or take) then I don't see whay you should not edit the first pano data file to add the shooting position data from the second pano data file and then use the combined data file and image sets; this assumes that the images will be in sequential order through the two 'component' image sets.