no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Panogear - impossible to turn on

by TomasTT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:16 am

Hi friends,
I ran out of ideas. New Panogear + touch panel.
Batteries fully charged, inserted correctly. Cover closed. Touch panel configured and inserted in AUX.
But it does not turn on at all after switching red switch to ON.
Tried to check the voltage on the output from batteries - OK
Tried to measure the red switch - OK
Tried to measure voltage on the input to PWB - OK
Tried external power supply instead of internal batteries - nothing
Tried AA batteries instead of acu - nothing
Touch panel itself is possible to configure via PC, but never saw it illuminated
Manual controls (standard head delievery) is not illuminated

So the switch is working 100% OK. Problem is not in the switch (unlike problem by somebody else in the forum some time ago).
Any ideas, what to try?

Thanks

Tomas

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 am

A few questions:

1. Have you tried controlling the head using the Bluetooth dongle and Papywizard instead of the Touch Controller?

2. May be a silly question but you are not connecting both the hand controller and the Touch Controller to the mount at the same time are you? I hope not; only ever connect one control device - either the hand controller , or the Touch controller or the Bluetooth dongle but never more than one at the same time.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 am

Hi,
1. yes. no difference. Simply the head is doing nothing with any control plugged in
2. no.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am

TomasTT wrote:Hi,
1. yes. no difference. Simply the head is doing nothing with any control plugged in

So when using Papywizard which version of Papywizard did you use and on which operating system?

Does the red LED flash on the Bluetooth adapter when you power up.

Can you get any response from/with the wired standard hard controller?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi Andy,
problem is, that the head does not work even with the OEM hand controller. It does not turn the LED on BT adapter at all.
I have installed version 1.6.1 but is impossible to find any devices as I think the head does not power the connected devices (any device - hand controller, touch panel nor BT adapter)

Tomas

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Your mount seems to have a fault.

Unless you wish to open the casing of the mount to look for disconnected wiring connectors I think you will have to go back to your supplier and ask for a replacement mount.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks Andy,
I think it´s dead.
I tried to open the housing (two bolts bottom, few from back) and there is nothing visibly wrong. All conectors are in place. Tried to measure voltage on the main input on the PWB (to make sure switch on/off works) and it´s OK. So problem must be somewhere else.
I already contacted Alexandre at kolor what to do, but may be on vacation as I did not received any response few days.

Thanks

Tomas

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:38 pm

TomasTT wrote:Hi friends,
I ran out of ideas. New Panogear + touch panel.
Batteries fully charged, inserted correctly. Cover closed. Touch panel configured and inserted in AUX.
But it does not turn on at all after switching red switch to ON.
Tried to check the voltage on the output from batteries - OK
Tried to measure the red switch - OK
Tried to measure voltage on the input to PWB - OK
Tried external power supply instead of internal batteries - nothing
Tried AA batteries instead of acu - nothing
Touch panel itself is possible to configure via PC, but never saw it illuminated
Manual controls (standard head delievery) is not illuminated

So the switch is working 100% OK. Problem is not in the switch (unlike problem by somebody else in the forum some time ago).
Any ideas, what to try?

Thanks

Tomas

Hi Tomas!

Did you try both serial ports on the Merlin?

Does the touchcontroller´s display light up?

Do you see anything on it?

Are you sure having installed the batteries in the right way (sorry for asking that . . :cool:)

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Klaus,
Thanks for reply. I tried just AUX port with touch panel and bt adapter but both ports with oem hand controller.
Touch panel does not turn on light at all (display is empty as well) just when connected to a usb cable shows the usb connection as it should display.
Manual panel does not illuminate or any other sights of power.
Batteries are perfect and the same with AA batteries and 12V power source.

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 pm

I think there is a problem with the RJ12 connectors: if neither the manual control panel nor T&C controller work, this mean that the power supply is not delivered through the RJ12 connectors.

As they are wored in parallel, this mean that the problem is just before. If I remember correctly, there is a diode at the battery (or external power source) input. Maybe it is wired in the wrong direction? The little circle at one end of the diode should be on the opposite side where the battery + is connected...
Frédéric

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 am

Thanks Frédéric.
I think the power path works up to the input connector on the PWB. I measured voltage on the two pins are voltage is OK there. So it must be something on the board itself. Sure is nothing wrong on the power path up to the place, where power cables goes in the PWB.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 am

As far as I remember, the power supply on RJ12 connectors comes direclty from the batteries, through main switch and the diode; it does not groes through the main electronic board. So, just have a look at the rear connectors (and the little board where they are plugged).
Frédéric

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Frédéric,
no, in my head are wires from battery terminals connected straight to one of the PWBs, main switch as well (separate connector). So there is no diode or anything else on the path to the first PWB. I can measure voltage on the terminals (16.8V) and on the end of the cable on place, where is connected to the PWB. Also can measure switch, if it works and it does. No idea, what to try next, but if there is no fuse or hidden switch, there is probably not much, what I can do.

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:27 am

Hello Thomas,

The best is to let replace by Kolor !
Do-you have allready news from them ?
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:59 am

Not yet. My contact is probably on vacation and I don't know who to call - there is no phone or mail to tech support on the website.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Try to see if the power supply goes to the RJ12 connector (I don't remember which pins)... If both bluetooth module and original controller don't work, I'm pretty sure this is the issue.
Frédéric

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks everybody. I already got mail from Kolor and they organised replacement. Just minute before I decided to open the housing again and remove the pwb where are battery leads connected and check it. In my unit are cables from battery as well as from switch connected to a small pwb where are also in/out power connectors. On the pwb is diode and it is soldered correctly. I can measure voltage out of this pwb but there is no voltage on the HC or AUX RJ connector sockets. So there must be something defective on the main board.
Thanks and hope I will have better luck with new head.

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello Thomas,

According your last observations, those are the RJ12 connectors and/or the small pcb where they are soldered who are defects

BUT this is much better to get a replacement of your head! :cool:
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
TomasTT

Topic author
Info

by TomasTT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Problem is solved.
I removed that little pwb, where are connected battery lead, switch lead and into what are soldered those two in/out power sockets as well.
Tried to measure resistance between solder points and discovered two cracks on the printed layer. So the power from the battery could not get into the wires, what powers the main board. I presume, that pwb was not mounted perfectly aligned with the holes for in/out power in the body and it cased bending this pwb and crack of the printed wires. I soldered two jumper wires over the cracks and unit now respond, touch is illuminated and it seems to be fully working!

Thanks for suggestions and help

Tomas

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 am

Good!
Frédéric