Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: XML to Touch control
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:30 pm 

Hi all,
using Panorama 2.4.0.0 I can download presets from Touch control via XML files and then use it in APG.
Is there an option to upload XML data to Touch control not only camera and lens presets.
I mean custom XML file is generated with Papywizard and used with a PC. I want to create few presets and upload them to Tcouch control not to bring a PC to a shooting area.

thanks,
Saulius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:38 pm 

Saulius wrote:
I want to create few presets and upload them to Tcouch control not to bring a PC to a shooting area.

No - wouldn´t make any sense! Papy needs a preset-xml for shooting spheres (and only here) - TC doesn´t need peset-xml files for shooting at all. So it wouldn´t make sense at all to import them to the TC.
What do you mean it might be good for?

best, Klaus

Sorry - i read it after writing: "bring a PC to the shooting area"? Why? You don´t need to do that! Shoot your panos - no matter how much almost - and connect the TC to your PC when you´re home again.
That might be weeks after leaving - no problem. If you go on vacations - shoot your panos and don´t care for ANY xml. Even shooting some hundreds of them: no problem. All the positionibg files are stored in the TC.

At home you download the xml files and import them together with the pictures into APG. That´s all. The only problem is to match xml files and corresponding picture files. You can identify them by continuing numbers.

Last edited by klausesser on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:04 pm 

Hi,
I have prepared a specific XML in papywizard 6 x -15 and 6x+60 and I'm shooting with this preset from notebook using papywizard and bluetooth adapter.
I want to program this preset into Touch control to have it for later use.

I understand that I can download xml presets from touch control. but to program touch panel using Panorama 2.4.0.0 I need to specify sensor and lens data.
Example: 50D Fish 0008 P F W 22,3 14,9 0024 180
I created this preset for my Canon 50D and Samyang 8mm fisheye lenses.
To create 360x180 panorama touch control generates 6 points (5x0 and zenith) - Stiching quality is bad.
Then I tried with 12 points and papywizard via bluetooth. Now I got RMS 3.32 - the best one after shooting about 20 panoramas.
Maybe anyone have used samyang lenses on have an advice on shooting 360x180 panoramas with 8mm aspherical lenses.

Here is the example of the current best panorama:
http://www.3dturas.lt/examples/sodas/

now the best one is uploaded and has RMS 3.17

Last edited by Saulius on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 pm 

The Samyang '8mm' behaves more like a 10mm - what happens if you provide the touch controller with a focal length of 10mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:23 pm 

Saulius wrote:

Why? Makes no sense at all! The TC calculates the positionings related to your setting of focal length and sensor-size when you set up your TC device. So you already have your setup fixed in the TC anyway.

Saulius wrote:
I understand that I can download xml presets from touch control.

No - you don´t load xml presets for your camera from the TC. You load down xml-positioning files which tell APG the locations of your images!

But using a fisheye you don´t need positioning files at all - let APG set controlpoints. I use the TC since it was designed - it´s very reliable and precise.
Exporting xml files to APG makes sense when you use long focal lengths and having lots of featureless images like clear sky or white walls or water and so on.
But using fisheyes the positioning files are obsolete.

Basically i prefer not to use the Merlin with fisheyes - the Nadir shows too much of the Merlin´s base. In your pano you can see how small the Nadir is - the black area - and how big the Merlin´s "footprint" is: the silver area.
So using a manual head with a small basis you would have very few to retouch in the Nadir. "Robotic" and programmable heads are good shooting many images for highres panos and using focal lengths from 20mm up.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:38 pm 

Saulius wrote:

Again: the basic principle of the TC is to set it up ONCE using your PC. You tell the TC which camera and which lens you use and the TC stores a list of all your cameras and lenses you want to use "in the field".

Let´s say you tell it:
50D
Fish 0008
P F W
Sensor size/crop factor, focal length

In the field you can choose on the touch screen
"50D", 8mm, portrait mode.
From the sensor-size values and the focal length you set to your list at home the TC calculates teh values for the shooting.

Basically it´s the very same as writing a preset-xml for each position as you do with Papy - the difference is that you don´t have to write the xml and feed it to Papy ecause the TC has done it already when you configure yout device at home.

I have two cameras and 12 lenses stored in my TC. On location i choose from the touchscreen which camera and lens i use and the TC does the rest - of course i have to tell it the way i want to shoot: bracketing or not, mirror-up or not, wait time between shots, spherical, angle or mosaic for example.

It´s very easy and straight to handle. At home i download the xml from the TC and download the images from the CF card. Then i import the xml and the relating images into APG and here we go.

As i said before: using a fisheye the positioning xml files are obsolete - APG does a perfect job setting controlpoints here.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 pm 

Hi Saulius, the Touch Control stores the camera and lenssettings in the internal memory. These are no xml data, as xml data are only x and y angle and bracketting informations, which are used by the stitcher. When you select Panorama, Angle mode or Mosaik mode, the lens and camera data are used to calculate by the Touch control ,depending on the overlapping %, the real positions you need for each image. These positions are then stored in another memory area together with a session number. When you connect the PC and download by Panorama 2.4 the xml data, these data are downloaded and transfered into an xml file. These xml file can then be used by the stitcher. If you got poor stittching, maybe you should change the % overlapping, then you can get more ore less images. When you wrote you use an 8mm Fisheye, have you selected fisheye in the entrance menue of Panorama 2.4? Because if you do not select Fisheye, the Touch controller is calculating for a standard lense. As all calculations with Fisheye had to much differences compared to the real world, the Touch controller uses the diagonal angle as an input value. These angle you can get in the manufacturer data sheet or you can meassure itself.
Best regards Josef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 pm 

Thanx All!
We still config metal and soft for shooting 360 and Gpix. I think, soon we will have more to discuss about.
Does anybody tried 3D ?

All the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:57 pm 

Hi all,
I still can`t configure panogear.
On Papywizard via bloetooth I use Tokina 10-17 @ 10 mm on APS-C (x1.6)
6 picts @ +30°
6 picts @ -30°
I use Canon 50d and Samyang 8 mm Fish eye, but it looks enough at the moment.
How to config Touch Control via Panorama soft to have the same session?
What parameters I have to write and program TC?
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 pm 

Saulius wrote:
Hi all,
I still can`t configure panogear.
On Papywizard via bloetooth I use Tokina 10-17 @ 10 mm on APS-C (x1.6)
6 picts @ +30°
6 picts @ -30°
I use Canon 50d and Samyang 8 mm Fish eye, but it looks enough at the moment.
How to config Touch Control via Panorama soft to have the same session?
What parameters I have to write and program TC?
Thank you

You must ONCE on your PC type-in the focal-length. And the sensor-size. And the diagonal angle of your lens. And you must tell the TC that your lens is a fisheye or a standard lens. That all.
From these parameters TC calculates the shooting parameters each time you shoot a pano.

Can you make a screenshot of your settings in the TC setup?

best, Klaus

Here is my setting:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:14 am 

klausesser wrote:
You must ONCE on your PC type-in the focal-length. And the sensor-size. And the diagonal angle of your lens. And you must tell the TC that your lens is a fisheye or a standard lens. That all.
From these parameters TC calculates the shooting parameters each time you shoot a pano.

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I am also transitioning from Papywizard to TC. Looking at your config I see Nodal numbers are all the same. This is the only part of your setup I don't understand, why don't the Nodal numbers vary for each lens?

Thanks!
Seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 am 

sbradley02 wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I am also transitioning from Papywizard to TC. Looking at your config I see Nodal numbers are all the same. This is the only part of your setup I don't understand, why don't the Nodal numbers vary for each lens?

Thanks!
Seth

Hi Seth!

These nodal numbers are just reminders - i don´t use them. Their values don´t mean anything for the calculations.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Hi Seth!

These nodal numbers are just reminders - i don´t use them. Their values don´t mean anything for the calculations.

best, Klaus

Thanks Klaus, that makes sense.

I have gotten everything working perfectly the with the touch panel and am really happy with the product.

Seth