English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
View4U

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Panogear with D700, Nodalpoint

by View4U » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:26 pm

When puting the Camera vertical on the straigt plate, I can move the camera backwards. But not sidewards. Question: I use the D700, other eople an other brand. Is is not an problem that I cant move the camera sidewards to find the centre off my lens?

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Comments:

1. If shooting partial panos of relatively distant scenes with longer focal length lenses - a typical application for robotic pano heads - then it's not essential to position the camera/lens at the NPP.

2. If you are shooting spherical panos (with a 360x180 pano FOV) indoors then you must position the camera lens at the NPP.

3. If the dimension from the base of your camera body to the centre of the lens mount is greater than 40mm, and/or the diameter of your chosen lens barrel is greater than 40mm then you will have to modify the rail and/or the dovetail clamp (also referred to as the crown on thsi forum) in order to position the camera/lens at the NPP.

4. If using a heavy camera and a very long and heavy lens to shoot partial panos of distant scenes then it's far more important to mount the camera/lens close to the centre of mass than at the NPP. In this case it is often easier to achieve this when mounting the camera/lens in landscape orientation.

What is the dimension from base of the body to centre of lens mount on the D700?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.