Too slow Panogear  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
Asher Kelman

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Asher Kelman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:24 pm

klausesser wrote:
Asher Kelman wrote:So is that a 360 degree sphere in just 56 mages? That's vey economical!

Using a 5D2 and a 15mm fisheye a full sphere has about 8 images including Zanith and Nadir - the native resolution is about 112mpx.

best, Klaus

Huh! Alas, my 15mm fisheye was stolen! The 8 mm sigma is the replacement!. I was impressed with the 200 mm lens and 56 images. So how large would that be?

Asher
Journeys to the Masterpiece

"The Intimate Artistic Photography Forum"

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Asher Kelman wrote:
klausesser wrote:
Asher Kelman wrote:So is that a 360 degree sphere in just 56 mages? That's vey economical!

Using a 5D2 and a 15mm fisheye a full sphere has about 8 images including Zanith and Nadir - the native resolution is about 112mpx.

best, Klaus

Huh! Alas, my 15mm fisheye was stolen! The 8 mm sigma is the replacement!. I was impressed with the 200 mm lens and 56 images. So how large would that be?

Asher

Hi Asher! You can´t shoot a full sphere with 56 images using a lens @200mm. It´s already 306 images using a 105mm.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm

klausesser wrote:
Asher Kelman wrote:
klausesser wrote:Using a 5D2 and a 15mm fisheye a full sphere has about 8 images including Zanith and Nadir - the native resolution is about 112mpx.

best, Klaus

Asher

Hi Asher! You can´t shoot a full sphere with 56 images using a lens @200mm. It´s already 306 images using a 105mm.

best, Klaus

That makes more sense! I use some 240 shots by hand with my RRS-sunway system, so I was flummoxed!

Asher

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:03 am

klausesser wrote:Hi Asher! You can´t shoot a full sphere with 56 images using a lens @200mm. It´s already 306 images using a 105mm.

When a 24x36mm FF camera and a 50mm lens are used, a single image is corresponding to no more than 1/40 (one fortieth) of the sphere (BTW, this could explain why we are so interested in wider images of what is around us...)

There is no obvious definition of an overlap percentage when covering a sphere with rectangles. This is especially true next to zenith and nadir where a large amount of an image is wasted to avoid any hole between this image and its neighbors: this explains why 70 or 80 source images are required when using a 50mm lens.

When focal length is multiplied by 2 the image surface is approximately divided by 4 so that 320 images should be required for a 100mm lens.

For wide angle lenses and fisheyes the above don't apply...
Last edited by GURL on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 pm

GURL wrote:When focal length is multiplied by 2 the image surface is approximately divided by 4 so that 320 images should be required for a 100mm lens.

Josef´s controller calculates 306 images with a 105mm because it takes in account redundant images at Nadir and Zenith - and leaves a Nadir-hole because of Merlin´s footprint.
It also takes 5 shots horizontally + Zenith using a 15mm fisheye @20% overlap instead of 6 shots horizontally + Zenith. The Nadir-hole is surprisingly small because i fix the camera on the rail tilted slightly downwards.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Georg and Klaus,

Good points! It's precisely this sort of efficiency that makes automatic control of the head so attractive. I know I take far to many shots. I have to really pair down the redundant overlap. With as manual head, gong for extra overlap leads to more chances of nudging the system.

Asher

Previous