English support for Panogear kit
mountaintb

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Too slow Panogear

by mountaintb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:31 am

Hello,

Since a few moments my Panogear is extremly slow : I use a macbook pro to pilot the panogear, a few days ago it was fast : it shoots, it moves, it stabilizes, it shoots..... Now it shoots and then it takes an enormous time (15 secondes at least) while it's written "obturateur image1/1" then it moves and so on.

I have had a look at configuration ... Merlin/Orion shutter : at Matos it' 200ms on "largeur impulsion haute" and 200ms on "largeur impulsion basse" and on principal its 0,1 s for "durée d'exposition"....

It means that to make a 150 shots pano, it takes more than 35 minutes, that is not possible (light, production)....

I have tryed to re install, but there must files I don't find on my HD, my settings are allways there. How to re install properly where are the other files???

Thank you very much,

Thierry Bazin

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 am

and of course i am using papywizard....

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 am

That was okay by the way.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 pm

mountaintb wrote:That was okay by the way.

?? What was ok?

When using short focal legths the move is fast and only on the very short last fraction becomes slower to match the position precisely. When using longer lenses - i experienced above 105mm - the angles are so small that the movement constantly stays in the mode of "slow and precisely" all the time. So the whole process is slowed down very much.
Guess that´s due to the very cheap motors in the Merlin and it´s rather simple internal logic. But in the end it works very well, does it . . :cool:

Which lens did you use actually and which lens did you use when it´s faster?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

I always use a 300mm Nikon the f:4, Suddenly a week ago it slowed radicaly, for instance this afternoon I have done a 176 images 22 x8 and it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes when usually it would have taken me 35 minutes, I have the feeling that it does not come from the head but from the pilote, the soft Papywizard......

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Are you using the Rodeon VR, I am on my way to buy a VR ST, have you got any experience about it???

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 pm

could it be a power issue of the merlin a ka panogear accus used? I mean if voltage goes down it may work but slower than with fully recharged accus.
Can you check it with external power supply?

Georg

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 am

No it's not a power issue, I think it's a soft problem with papymerlin. I still try to reinstall, does anybody has got the list of different items it installs on the HD????

Thank you,

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 am

Can you post the log showing this issue, to see the timings? Before doing that, switch to 'trace' level (last tab in the Configuration dialog)...
Frédéric

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Bonjour Frédéric,

J'essaye de ré-installer, peux-tu me dire où sont les différents éléments installés sur Mac, j'ai beau ré-installer, il semble qu'il garde en mémoire mes settings.

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Euh, sur Mac, je ne sais pas du tout où sont installé les fichiers (ce n'est pas moi qui ai fait le package)...

Par contre, oui, les préférences sont conservées. Elles doivent être dans ~/.config/papywizard2/papywizard.conf, comme sous linux.
Frédéric

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

introuvables.....

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:37 pm

à¤h, à¶h . . . don´t understand a word from what you talk. :cool: Might it be relevant for english-speaking PW users?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm

mountaintb wrote:Are you using the Rodeon VR, I am on my way to buy a VR ST, have you got any experience about it???

I suggest to wait a month or two until Josef launches his new head - it´s much faster and more precise, stable and sturdy than the Merlin . . and costs definitely much less than a Rodeon.
Has a much smaller base/footprint. Josef is fine-tuning it at the moment - pre-release stadium, so to speak.

best, Klaus

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Who is Josef and where can I get informations???

Thanks,

TB

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm

mountaintb wrote:Who is Josef and where can I get informations???

Thanks,

TB

http://www.typeandcolour.de/
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:52 pm

By the way and for info, I reinstall my system on the macbookpro and papywizard works like before (very well) So......

I am looking for info on the Josef project, I have been on your link, Andrew, and there is no info about that new project, do you have any other link where they speak about it???

Thanks

Thierry

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:39 pm

mountaintb wrote:I am looking for info on the Josef project, I have been on your link, Andrew, and there is no info about that new project, do you have any other link where they speak about it???

That´s why i wrote "wait a month or two" . . . ;)
The head is in final stage and i will test it next week - planned to do a testing earlier, but i had much work and Josef changed some springs on the motors. He´s a perfectionist.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 am

mountaintb wrote:By the way and for info, I reinstall my system on the macbookpro and papywizard works like before (very well) So......

I am looking for info on the Josef project, I have been on your link, Andrew, and there is no info about that new project, do you have any other link where they speak about it???

Thanks

Thierry

So did you remove the preferences for the Papywizard app before reinstalling or did it just fix itself? Maybe that's part of the install process and then you are lucky!

BTW, it might be that you should run Onyx to clear your caches and do the background maintenance the Mac needs! Much of the work is supposed to be automatic but when the machine is powered down, these processes then don't happen. So Onyx can really do a good job when troubles occur with software not working as expected.

Asher
Journeys to the Masterpiece

"The Intimate Artistic Photography Forum"

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am

I did everything, try to find preferences and cache files, I ran Onyx, nothing the preferences stayed at every reinstall of Papy wizard. So anyway it's a long time I wanted to change the HD of my MBP, so I changed it, reinstall the system, all my softwares and of course papywizard, now it's working perfectly well : 8 minutes and 30 seconds to shoot a 56 images pano with a 200mm.

But if you know where are Papy wizard hidden files on OSX maybe it could be a good info for others.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Asher Kelman wrote:So Onyx can really do a good job when troubles occur with software not working as expected.

Agree! very fine tool!

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 pm

mountaintb wrote:I did everything, try to find preferences and cache files, I ran Onyx, nothing the preferences stayed at every reinstall of Papy wizard. So anyway it's a long time I wanted to change the HD of my MBP, so I changed it, reinstall the system, all my softwares and of course papywizard, now it's working perfectly well : 8 minutes and 30 seconds to shoot a 56 images pano with a 200mm.

But if you know where are Papy wizard hidden files on OSX maybe it could be a good info for others.

Hi Thierry!

You need to use the very actual version of PW! I installed it and the first time PW worked fine on my MBP (left aside it´s very, very complicated to configure i mean).

best, Klaus

mountaintb

Topic author
Info

by mountaintb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm

I think I have downloaded the last one.

Nice portrait of you Klaus,

best,

Thierry

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm

mountaintb wrote:I did everything, try to find preferences and cache files, I ran Onyx, nothing the preferences stayed at every reinstall of Papy wizard. So anyway it's a long time I wanted to change the HD of my MBP, so I changed it, reinstall the system, all my softwares and of course papywizard, now it's working perfectly well : 8 minutes and 30 seconds to shoot a 56 images pano with a 200mm.

So is that a 360 degree sphere in just 56 mages? That's vey economical!

Asher
Journeys to the Masterpiece

"The Intimate Artistic Photography Forum"

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Asher Kelman wrote:So is that a 360 degree sphere in just 56 mages? That's vey economical!

Using a 5D2 and a 15mm fisheye a full sphere has about 8 images including Zanith and Nadir - the native resolution is about 112mpx.

best, Klaus

Next