Panotour / Panotour Pro 1.5 Final  

Official news, releases information, status updates.
Annonces officielles, nouvelles versions, avancement.
User avatar
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Francin, France

Panotour / Panotour Pro 1.5 Final

by AlexandreJ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 am

Hi,

Like I said, a lot of message to post today :)

Yes, Panotour and Panotour Pro is final !

Go and grab it here : http://www.kolor.com

BTW : changelog is available on http://download.kolor.com/ptp/stable/history

Take care,

Alexandre

no avatar
akphoto
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Russia

by akphoto » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 am

Some days tested Kolor Panotour v1.5 and finally has bought. I shall tell fairly - not in delight. Pano2Vr in comparison with Kolor.... Both cheaper twice, and is more multipurpose.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am

akphoto wrote:Some days tested Kolor Panotour v1.5 and finally has bought. I shall tell fairly - not in delight. Pano2Vr in comparison with Kolor.... Both cheaper twice, and is more multipurpose.

If I understand you correctly you are not delighted with Panotour Pro - is that correct?

You feel that Pano2VR is not only much less expensive but 'more multipurpose'?

Some comments and questions:

1. If you feel that way why did you purchase a licence for Panotor Pro after testing it?

2. In what ways do you consider Pano2VR to be 'more multipurpose'?

3. What would you consider a 'reasonable' price for a Panotour Pro licence and why?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
akphoto
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Russia

by akphoto » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:25 am

You have correctly understood me. I Hoped that the licensed version are more extensive than experienced and bought it To give just two examples of comparison, the rest is easy to find on the site Pano2VR. First. Autorotation in one direction only. Clockwise. Second. Return to the horizon is absent. Could add more examples, but i poorly speak English.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 am

akphoto wrote:You have correctly understood me. I Hoped that the licensed version are more extensive than experienced and bought it

The trial version provides almost full functionality.
To give just two examples of comparison, the rest is easy to find on the site Pano2VR.
First. Autorotation in one direction only. Clockwise.

True. But you could externalise and edit the XML to change that if you wished. But I too would like to see a few more controls in the PTP GUI.
Second. Return to the horizon is absent.

Not true - it's automatically enabled with autorotation; but you are not offered any further controls to adjust parameters unlike in Pano2VR.
Could add more examples, but i poorly speak English.

That's OK - you may write in French.
...........

I have a Pano2VR licence too from way back before Autopano Tour and Panotour ever existed.

At the time all I wanted to do was get a single pano into Flash VR format to put it on-line. Pano2VR does that easily.

But....I could never head my head around the Pano2VR Skin Editor to create hotspots and link together several panos to make a virtual tour. It seemed quite counterintuitive to me and much too much like hard work (I'm lazy!). I've seen very nice tours produced using Pano2VR but their authors report than it's far from easy to attain their level of skill.

By comparison it's just so easy and intuitive to create hotspots to link panos together in Panotour and Panotour Pro.

Likewise producing multi-res output is easy and 'transparent' using Panotour Pro but far from 'transparent' using Pano2VR wher this feasture is a very recent addition.

Similarly producing iDevice-compatible tours is easy with Panotour Pro, but judging by questions on the Pano2VR forum it's far from easy to achieve with Pano2VR.

Do you agree?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
akphoto
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Russia

by akphoto » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 am

mediavets wrote:
akphoto wrote:You have correctly understood me. I Hoped that the licensed version are more extensive than experienced and bought it

The trial version provides almost full functionality.
To give just two examples of comparison, the rest is easy to find on the site Pano2VR.
First. Autorotation in one direction only. Clockwise.

True. But you could externalise and edit the XML to change that if you wished. But I too would like to see a few more controls in the PTP GUI.
Second. Return to the horizon is absent.

Not true - it's automatically enabled with autorotation; but you are not offered any further controls to adjust parameters unlike in Pano2VR.
Could add more examples, but i poorly speak English.

That's OK - you may write in French.

Thanks for the suggestion. Better on the Russian language.

Here you write that you are too lazy to engage in exhausting work and make a virtual tour of Pano2VR. But at the same time advise me edit the XML file to change the direction of rotation of the image. And it's for 299 Euro? Where is the logic?
I see you know Pano2VR better than me, I do not need to talk about the disadvantages of Panotour 1.5.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm

akphoto wrote:THere you write that you are too lazy to engage in exhausting work and make a virtual tour of Pano2VR. But at the same time advise me edit the XML file to change the direction of rotation of the image. And it's for 299 Euro? Where is the logic?

I'm not defending the 299 Euros plus tax licence fee for Panotour Pro - as I've written elsewhere I feel it's a bit too much. Since a krpano licence cost 90 Euros plus tax, and the krpano idevice compatibility stuff licence cost 35 Euros plus tax, then I accept that there's no way Kolor could offer Panotour Pro at the same price point as Pano2VR. However in my opinion (not that anyone may welcome my opinion) 199 Euros plus tax would be much more attractive price point for Panotour Pro than 299 Euros plus tax, and the price difference between Panotour and Panotour Pro would then also 'mirror' the long established price differential between Autopano Pro and Autopano Giga; but that of course is purely a 'product marketing viewpoint' and ignores any consideration of past and future development costs and/or predicted sales volumes of which I have no knowledge.

As for logic - for my part there is none, but I think it's a lot easier to tweak a few parameters (see link to krpano documentation for autorotate) in Panotour Pro's automatically generated XML files that it is to produce a virtual tour using Pano2VR. But as I said I'd also like to see a lot more options, such as your example of direction of autorotation, offered via the PTP GUI.

http://krpano.com/docu/xml/#autorotate

I see you know Pano2VR better than me, I do not need to talk about the disadvantages of Panotour 1.5.

Whether in English or Russian, or any other language, I'm sure the Kolor developers would like to hear about the disadavantages of Panotour Pro as you perceive them - Panotour Pro is still evolving and they really do take user ideas and feedback into account when developing their products. So don't hesitate to describe features you would like to see along with your ideas of how to incorporate these in the UI.
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Marv
Member
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Gig Harbor USA

by Marv » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm

mediavets wrote:At the time all I wanted to do was get a single pano into Flash VR format to put it on-line. Pano2VR does that easily.

But....I could never head my head around the Pano2VR Skin Editor to create hotspots and link together several panos to make a virtual tour. It seemed quite counterintuitive to me and much too much like hard work (I'm lazy!). I've seen very nice tours produced using Pano2VR but their authors report than it's far from easy to attain their level of skill.

By comparison it's just so easy and intuitive to create hotspots to link panos together in Panotour and Panotour Pro.

Likewise producing multi-res output is easy and 'transparent' using Panotour Pro but far from 'transparent' using Pano2VR wher this feasture is a very recent addition.

Similarly producing iDevice-compatible tours is easy with Panotour Pro, but judging by questions on the Pano2VR forum it's far from easy to achieve with Pano2VR.

Do you agree?

I totally agree with you. I even downloaded all the Pano2VR manuals... but the Skin Editor to create hotspots and link together several panos to make a virtual tour was a total nightmare and way to complex and not the ease and flexability of Autopano/Panotour. I found Pano2VR to be "you get what you pay for" as it could not do some of the complex multi Pano VR tours that I was doing.
Last edited by Marv on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marv...

Nikon D700, Nikor 10.5mm DX (Shaved), Nikor 12-24mm DX, Modified Nodal NN180, Home made Nodal Ninja NN5 type Pano head, Really Right Stuff Plate & Clamps, Windows XP.

no avatar
magphil
Member
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 pm

by magphil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Comment puis-je downloader les nouveaux releases?

Le lien conduit vers autopano store, et je n'y vois pas de lien upgrade ou download ?

no avatar
magphil
Member
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 pm

by magphil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Ok, download depuis la "Home Page"

no avatar
panomano
Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 pm

by panomano » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi, I also use Pano2VR, skins are not too bad, just tedious. I am trying demo of PTP1.5 and even though I have found no documentation I am slowly creating something with it. Wish there was more control though. Doesn't seem to have hotspot on/off option. Also, when I load cubefaces, it doesn't know where they belong, I have to manually rearrange them, I guess it looks for a specific naming convention that I am not using, but without documetation haven't figured out. Also most importantly I can't believe I can't test the iPhone etc compatibility without making a purchase. That is what I am concerned most about, yet I would have to take a shot in the dark so to speak and trust that it all works good. Does it "Auto-Detect" the platform or do I have to make a separate "click here for iOS" button?? Not to mention the price point is outrageous, but the market is wide open for a tool like this.

ron rack

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7859
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:24 pm

panomano wrote:Does it "Auto-Detect" the platform or

Yes!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14178
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Welcome to the forum....

But this is not really the correct place for for such questions - there's a topic specifically for questions about using Panotour and Panotour Pro:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/f33-using-panotour-panotour-pro

panomano wrote:I am trying demo of PTP1.5 and even though I have found no documentation I am slowly creating something with it. Wish there was more control though. Doesn't seem to have hotspot on/off option.

Not via the GUI, no.
Also, when I load cubefaces, it doesn't know where they belong, I have to manually rearrange them, I guess it looks for a specific naming convention that I am not using, but without documetation haven't figured out.

It is easier to load straight stitched pano images. Why do you want to input cube faces?

Also most importantly I can't believe I can't test the iPhone etc compatibility without making a purchase. That is what I am concerned most about, yet I would have to take a shot in the dark so to speak and trust that it all works good. Does it "Auto-Detect" the platform or do I have to make a separate "click here for iOS" button??

It autodetects based on identification of the browser user agent.
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.


Return to Announcements / Annonces

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest