Autopano 2.0 Road map  

Official news, releases information, status updates.
Annonces officielles, nouvelles versions, avancement.
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Autopano 2.0 Road map

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 am

Hi,

Now that the second user meeting is over and that everything has been disclosed, let make Autopano 2.0 feature list clear as well as the road map.
I will just highlight quickly main feature here, because we will post soon the full sub-titled video of APP 2.0 presentation. Anyway.

Quickly. Autopano 2.0 is targeted to be more easy, more powerful, more control. This will decline itself into several new features as well as redesigned engine.
This is a short list :
- Plugins architecture engine ( input, output, importer ... )
- Revamp detection engine to be able to handle template panorama, bracketing far better as well as direct support to motorized panorama head ( gigapan, rodeon, pixorb, merlin )
- Full multi-core detection
- Stack notion at group level : it regroups together bracketed images in a stack at group level to handle them cleverly for detection
- GPU processing at every level for a real time panorama editor at full resolution
- Revamp of settings of the full software which simplify and clears a lot the software
- New HDR engine
- Projection engine changed : far better planar mode as well as easy new projection integration ( mercator integrated for example )
- KRPano collaboration. We signed an collaboration with Klaus Reinfeld to integrate a direct KRPano export in autopano. You can edit hotspots, lens flar, directly in the editor. But we will also collaborate a lot to make the best flash panorama viewer of KRPano. For VR, for small size landscape as well as gigapixels panorama ( with HDView projection technics ). KRPano official forum in english will be part of the autopano forum with a new forum / subforum, moderated directly by Klaus.

Autopano brand will be separated into 2 versions :
- Autopano Pro, for casual user, prosumer, landscape photographer : always 99 euros
- Autopano Giga, for professional which needs more a workflow tool : targeted price 199 euros
The exact feature list of both version will be explained with alpha 1.

Plan :
- There will be 3 alpha series probably ( alpha : means all feature not implemented ).
First one is planned 10 July. Many features have already been done so, expect this one to be a big release
- alpha 2 and alpha : September, October.

Beta series : October, November

Release date : December.

no avatar
photomadnz

by photomadnz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:07 am

Awesome! Cant wait to try it!!

no avatar
digipano

by digipano » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 am

Can we assume that this version will have some sort of ability to detect images with plain walls & floors. Rarely the wall/floors are plain they do have some spots or lines but APP cant detect it.
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t3492-problems-with-repeating-patterns-floor-tiles-and-planking

What about orthographic/linear panorama, any plan to implement that?
Last edited by digipano on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 am

What are the target hardware specs/requirements for the various supported OS for both versions (Pro and Giga)?

Will current Pro users be offered upgrade paths to both V2.x Pro and V2.x Giga?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:35 am

AlexandreJ wrote:Hi,

- KRPano collaboration. We signed an collaboration with Klaus Reinfeld to integrate a direct KRPano export in autopano. You can edit hotspots, lens flar, directly in the editor. But we will also collaborate a lot to make the best flash panorama viewer of KRPano. For VR, for small size landscape as well as gigapixels panorama ( with HDView projection technics ). KRPano official forum in english will be part of the autopano forum with a new forum / subforum, moderated directly by Klaus.

Will the current KRPano licensing terms and fees still apply?:

http://krpano.com/buy/
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

taf

by taf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:48 pm

Cela a l'air géant... Une release majeure !
Ca tombe bien, j'aurais quelques 1500 panos à  envoyer à  cette nouvelle V2 pour la tester à  fond ;)
Look. There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up !

DrSlony

by DrSlony » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 pm

I hope it will use the 1.x translation files as a basis, so we wont need to translate from 0 :]

no avatar
spyboy

by spyboy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Looks like network "render farm" abilities didn't make it to 2.0

For the GPU rendering, will it support multiple GPU's? I run 2 video cards in my machine (plus my CPU which is a quad core) (so I have 6 processing units)

Kirk

mrking

by mrking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 am

Did I miss something? Is Autopano 2 out yet?

no avatar
beeloba

by beeloba » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 am

mrking wrote:Did I miss something? Is Autopano 2 out yet?

You did not missed anything, mrking, the final edition off APP gigapan 2.0 is going to be a little bit late for a simple reason, APP Kolor team wants to be ready… And announced alphas will be a little late, compared to final version 2.0. Can we blame them for working better than, they and we expected… that's a real question.

no avatar
Apapane

by Apapane » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:23 am

beeloba wrote:
mrking wrote:Did I miss something? Is Autopano 2 out yet?

You did not missed anything, mrking, the final edition off APP gigapan 2.0 is going to be a little bit late for a simple reason, APP Kolor team wants to be ready… And announced alphas will be a little late, compared to final version 2.0. Can we blame them for working better than, they and we expected… that's a real question.

To quote an old television commercial featuring the great Orson Welles:

"We will sell no wine before its time".

So be it with APP-Giga 2.0.
Yes, we're all anxious, but we should, at least, TRY to be patient.:)

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 am

We will release Autopano Giga alpha 2 ( v1.9.1 ) before Christmas. What does it contains :
- Panohead support for gigapan, clauss, papywizard project. This part is finished at 95%. Still some bugs in some functional area. This part can go to beta stage.
- Real-time editor. That was mainly one of the cause of the delay. It's a really complicated piece of code that needed to code again many part of software. It's fully functional except histogram tool. This one is disabled for the moment. Not totally ready for beta yet.
- Optimization stage. We did a lot of changes behind the scene to be able to propose you many new feature in the future. So you cannot see them right now, but we are using this big revamp time to prepare that. BTW : you can see that in group properties, there's an early stage template system coded.
- What is still missing for this release to go to beta : complete plugin structure to incorporate the new hdr system. As many part in the HDR is plugin based, we just need the plugin structure to be here to be able to pass to beta stage. What is the real plugin structure ? Simple : we want it like in Firefox. Automatic updates checking at startup, installation on demand, new plugin warning dialog box, etc.
The last part of this alpha2 is the biggest in fact. It's called Autopano Tour which is a virtual tour creation software. This tool will be only available with Autopano Giga not Autopano Pro. Details coming soon.

----

We know that we are late with this release, I apologize with that. But we really want the product to get some feature that will change the way of doing panorama. This doesn't come in a few weeks of work, it needs months. To be able to do that and still meet the schedule, we're hiring developers. Autopano Tour for example is the first release of Renan, Kolor's new developer. February, we'll be 4 developers to work on autopano engine ( pro, giga and server ).
That should accelerate everything I think.

no avatar
TyBo

by TyBo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:44 am

It's gonna be Legen.....DARY !

fma38

by fma38 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 am

I was wondering something: as you will incorporate a full plugin framework, why don't using it to distribute APP as modules? The base application would be the same as now, and then, one could extend the features by buying modules (motorized panohead import, flash export, hdr features and so), instead of only having 2 products, the first one with too few features, and the second with too many for some of us...

Just an idea :rolleyes:
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

[bo]

by [bo] » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 am

Heh, that almost overlaps with my idea from a few years back, when there was talk of Autopano Lite, etc... Nice to see another come to the same conclusion!
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:35 am

That's debate we had here too. We could imagine to sell an autopano framework and then just buy module / plugins for it to enhance it.
For novice user it's really complicate to explain what you should buy : autopano + this plugin + that other plugin because..., + etc. So to make it easy, we have 2 products "pro" for panoramas, "giga" for big panoramas and virtual tour. In fact, as we are plugin based, both license model could work, I just really found that the second is easier to market. Autopano Lite is really another story. It would need a full UI redesign to match criterion of casual home users. I don't think it's possible from autopano pro interface.

no avatar
hankkarl

by hankkarl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm

fma38 wrote:I was wondering something: as you will incorporate a full plugin framework, why don't using it to distribute APP as modules? The base application would be the same as now, and then, one could extend the features by buying modules (motorized panohead import, flash export, hdr features and so), instead of only having 2 products, the first one with too few features, and the second with too many for some of us...

Just an idea :rolleyes:

The testing universe goes from two products to many -- i think the number would be on the order of factorial(number of modules)
And so Kolor would develop a new feature in days, but take months to test it. Or if they don't test it, we would. And the error reports would be a tidal wave.

marco-pano

by marco-pano » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:15 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:... For novice user it's really complicate to explain what you should buy : autopano + this plugin + that other plugin because..., + etc.

It seems quite right, how can a novice user can understand what extra plugins he will need when choosing at first time to buy an APP system.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

fma38

by fma38 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 am

Yes, but I was thinking to a system allowing us to add new module at any time. So one can start with basic product, then buy new modules...
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Rami
Kolor Team

by Rami » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:29 am

Dear all,

A preview of Autopano Tour, the Flash virtual tour creation tool of Autopano Giga, was posted on the blog.

--

Un aperçu d'Autopano Tour, l'outil de création de visites virtuelles d'Autopano Giga, a été posté dans le blog.
Rami

Paul

by Paul » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 am

I am gladly surprised about what you guys put all on top of APP ...
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

blazouf

by blazouf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Comme je l'ai dit sur le blog, c'est INCROYABLE ce que cette nouvel version va apporter !
Le retour de QuickTime VR Authoring Studio en 10 fois mieux !!

je suis hyper impatient de tester tout ca !! Merci encore pour tout ce que vous faite !

mrking

by mrking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:08 am

No worries, I don't mind the delay at all.

I just want it to be released by the time my one year free upgrade is over. :D selfish me.

Adam

by Adam » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:06 am

Alex,
I guess we all know that Dec date for release of APP 2 is long gone.
Can you give as some realistic new date for its release?
Thank you!
interested in panorama photography

no avatar
digipano

by digipano » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:20 am

I remember Alexander mentioned it somewhere as Feb 09 last week.

Next

Return to Announcements / Annonces