Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Autopano v3.0.0 Alpha 1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Administrator

Main changes

This version introduces the v3 of Kolor Engine. As a first release of a new engine, we expect to have a lot of feedback ( positive feedback ) and not too many bugs. But there will be bugs of course. Nevertheless, I'm sure you will appreciate the direction we are aiming to take: easier to use and more powerful.

Let's describe the changes in 4 categories.

Revamped Panorama Editor

We worked a lot on the editor to be able to offer you a better experience while editing panoramas. The first aspect of this work is a better design of all the tools, a new GPU rendering in the editor for a better and more accurate rendering and a beautiful and useful grid.

Tools layout: the tools used to appear sometimes on the left panel and sometimes in a separate dialog box. Everything is now integrated on the left panel ( even the color levels ). I think it's an improvement.
New GPU rendering: this is really nice because the GPU mode is now as accurate as the CPU mode. Even on the zenith and nadir in spherical mode, you have a nice and accurate preview. Moreover, this change still allows to have the real-time full panorama move mode which raise the edition of panorama layout to a new level. It is fast, visual and easy.
The grid ( over the panorama ). You have 2 flags on the right of the editor which allow you to switch on or off the axis or the grid. By default, the grid is labeled in output space dimension, meaning in pixel. As soon as you open the editor, you know how large the rendering will be. But you can also switch to angular mode and in this mode, you can draw meridians and parallels over the panorama. It can be really useful for some measurement over the panorama.
A lot of small fixes have also been achieved to get a more uniform experience in the editor.

New projection modes

This feature has been asked for several times. It is now done. It took a while because we needed to rewrite some parts of the code that were not compatible with some projections. That's why it was only introduced in a major release and not a minor one; we had to rewrite the projection pipeline of our engine.

Nevertheless, it is worth the wait, because when it is combined with the GPU rendering in the editor, you have the perfect experience for the choice of the right projection. This can be critical if you have an exact idea of what you want but don't know what to do to get to it.

One note: it took us a while to design a nice projection UI, especially how to create and design good icons for the projection modes. I'm waiting for your feedback on these icons. I find them cool because it is a combination of cube faces and mapping, giving a good understanding in both lectures.

Integrated Quick Rendering

You may have noticed a small green icon near the percentage of the rendering in the editor. This is a small icon for a big feature: it is an integrated rendering directly in the editor. It does what it says: it renders the displayed zone with the final render engine as if you had launched the redering at the size of the screen with the render dialog box ( assuming you crop and adjust the percentage of the rendering ).

Why is this feature great?

Because it displays what the rendered panorama will look like in this zone without the need of doing it in full. It allows you to finetune accurately the exposure fusion panel. This is really cool ( it has been introduced in v2.6, but it is really better integrated now ).

As you have a quick rendering, you can see what decision the anti-ghost will make for this panorama. Now, the obvious question is: can I influence the anti-ghost? And this leads me to the last point.

Constrained-Based Masking

This is the new editor mode available in Autopano Giga only. You can see it near the control point editor icon. It allows to decide for an individual image what you want to keep or remove. You just need to place green or red spots on the right image and with the Integrated Quick Rendering, you can have a direct preview of what the panorama will look like when rendered.

To create a chrono-panorama, it is now super easy with this tool. It helps also to patch the nadir in only 3 clicks. In the video, you can see that.

Other improvements

As we revamped a lot of the code, we used that time to improve some other parts:

* Photoshop Mode F: you can hide all the tools of the editor with a simple keyboard shortcut
* In the Move mode, you can now apply a numerical transformation: that's nice to move or rotate a multiple selection of images very precisely
* In the Move mode again, you can now adjust the full panorama even in CPU mode ( this was not possible in previous versions )
* The underlying image reader/writer engine has been ported to UTF8 which means you can open any image with any type of charset in the application. It is funny to see Chinese image names in the editor.
* The control points editor has now two new icons, next / preview, which allow to quickly review all the links of the current selection
* Automatic stack creation was only possible through the Browse Folder icon. Now, it is also active when you drag & drop images over the application or if you select individual images

Using during beta stage

We believe in our community and in our customers that support us since a long year. The quality of a software doesn't come only by the quality of the developer ( come on, still a bit ;) ), but from the quality of the communication between you and us. So for the v3, we decided to do the following:

* You can try all alpha, beta of Autopano Pro/Giga for free during the pre-release stage of the products. You can even remove the watermark as soon as you have a legitimate v2 key.
* All betas are limited in time. This version for example expires end of August.

With this approach, you can already start to use v3 in production work ( at your own risk, of course ;) ). Of course, I hope that you will enjoy the v3 and report a lot of feedback on our forum about it.

In the presentation, we also talked about user-suggested features. They have been well categorized here and we'll implement the ones that are the most demanded. It will happen in Autopano Engine Alpha 2 for end July

Fixes :

- 0001367: [GPU] shader compilation on stable on all graphic cards - resolved.
- 0001381: [Editor] AutoTheta is broken - resolved.
- 0001372: [translation] Apple menu, translation in japanesse - resolved.
- 0001356: [Qt] QT 4.8.2 sur main - resolved.
- 0001175: [Editor] Multiple selection and move mode, change zoom broken - resolved.
- 0001234: [Editor] UI layer broken - resolved.
- 0001364: [Editor] Crash when using stop all detection - resolved.
- 0001362: [Editor] Quick Preview, 100% size should not display square pixel - resolved.
- 0001358: [Cortex ( rendu )] add a parameter to edit rendering marging - resolved.
- 0000987: [UI behavior] crash when too much groups opened - resolved.
- 0000433: [Editor] Linear projection on a 360∞ HDR + Crop = strange display - resolved.
- 0001320: [Cortex ( rendu )] Panini projection clean - resolved.
- 0001023: [Cortex ( rendu )] TruncatePiece clean revamp - resolved.
- 0000087: [Editor] Engine revamp for new projection integration - resolved.
- 0001306: [UI behavior] Numerical transform in Move mode too - resolved.
- 0001334: [UI behavior] UI improvements - resolved.
- 0001318: [translation] create translation file for kernel - resolved.
- 0001325: [Neurone ( optimisation )] vertical tool not adpated to all projections - resolved.
- 0001196: [Cortex ( rendu )] panorama size not stable - resolved.
- 0001322: [Cortex ( rendu )] compute piece approximation - resolved.
- 0001210: [UI behavior] use lib KUI - resolved.
- 0001068: [Image I/O] Cannot load images if the directoy has an accent - resolved.
- 0001316: [Editor] Check editor open flag in APG - resolved.
- 0001209: [UI behavior] resources cleaning - resolved.
- 0001270: [Cortex ( rendu )] shader check - resolved.
- 0001285: [Editor] default GPU mode - resolved.
- 0001307: [Neurone ( optimisation )] autofit must be done in XYn space - resolved.
- 0001141: [Editor] Crop not as accurate as 2.6 or 2.5 - resolved.
- 0001308: [Neurone ( optimisation )] reduce autocrop marging - resolved.
- 0001271: [Unclassified] Code uniformization - resolved.
- 0000929: [Image I/O] Cameras.Txt behavior - resolved.
- 0001286: [Cortex ( rendu )] panini thetaPhiToXY - resolved.
- 0001262: [Cortex ( rendu )] stereographic projection behaviours - resolved.
- 0000310: [Shell Integration] No stack creation when using 'select images' instead of browse folder - resolved.
- 0001272: [UI behavior] Resize viewport depending on content - resolved.
- 0001249: [Neurone ( optimisation )] clean camera - resolved.
- 0001255: [Neurone ( optimisation )] clean old opengl mesh - resolved.
- 0001274: [Cortex ( rendu )] mask point position not reliable - resolved.
- 0001275: [Editor] layer selection can be done outside the extended world - resolved.
- 0001135: [Neurone ( optimisation )] New projection modes - resolved.
- 0001242: [UI behavior] placement of control point editor tool - resolved.
- 0001259: [Cortex ( rendu )] optimize cpu rendering - resolved.
- 0001261: [UI behavior] uinformize UI selection between GPU and CPU - resolved.
- 0001214: [UI behavior] Dock tools of pano editor diplay - resolved.
- 0001235: [UI behavior] redesign docked tools - resolved.
- 0001236: [UI behavior] move projection and color settings in docked tool - resolved.
- 0001238: [UI behavior] consistent tool bar access - resolved.
- 0001239: [UI behavior] quick acces of grid and vanishing point display - resolved.
- 0001240: [UI behavior] hide and display all tools - resolved.
- 0001247: [Editor] Photoshop Mode F - resolved.
- 0001243: [Cortex ( rendu )] render mipmaping not reliable - resolved.
- 0001256: [UI behavior] better ogl scale and render mipmap - resolved.
- 0000635: [UI behavior] GPU enabled setting not stored properly - resolved.
- 0000080: [Performance] CPU mode in editor could benefit of MT if we clean up the renderPreview2 - closed.
- 0000935: [Cortex ( rendu )] merge multiband fix from 2.6 - closed.
- 0000862: [UI behavior] merge quick renderer from 2.6 - closed.

Download : http://www.kolor.com/blog-en/2012/06/14/kolor-announces-autopano-3-0-image-stitching-software-alpha-version-now-available/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm 

Hi!
Just trying it at the moment!!

http://vklaffehn.funpic.de/cms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 pm 

Cool. I will try it obviously, especially the new antighost feature (constrained-based masking).

Question (after reading your conclusion) : For APG 2 licensed user, will APG 3 be for free ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm 

hermer-blr wrote:
Cool. I will try it obviously, especially the new antighost feature (constrained-based masking).

Question (after reading your conclusion) : For APG 2 licensed user, will APG 3 be for free ?

if you buy APG2 from today on... yes update to APG3 will be free
if you bought APG2 before today... no update will no be free...

see: http://www.kolor.com/updates.html

Georg

PS: My highest respect for this major upgrade!

Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm 

Found a Bug :-) Posted in the 'bugs' forum.

MfG
Volker Klaffehn

http://vklaffehn.funpic.de/cms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 pm 

GPU rendering in editor.

I assume the GPU is also used while the new preview is doing it's work. For the few hours I am using the alpha now I get the feeling I really like the preview in combination with the masking. This does mean however my time spent at the computer is for a big part depending on the preview mode which means that having a fast GPU is problably important.

Having an ATI Radeon HD 4600 I know I don't have the fastest GPU that can be bought and more importantly it is likely that and upgrade will bring me a lot*.

Should we start discussion GPU's already? I know there is a thread already about this from the past. Want to keep that one clean from this discssion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm 

gkaefer wrote:

Just to be on the safe side: If I upgrade from Autopano Pro 2 to Autopano Giga 2 today, the upgrade to Autopano Giga 3 will be free? Or does the free upgrade only apply to new purchases?

Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:59 pm 

It's amazing!

Runs very well, the features are great, and no crashes in Gentoo 64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:07 am 

Tipjip wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

Just to be on the safe side: If I upgrade from Autopano Pro 2 to Autopano Giga 2 today, the upgrade to Autopano Giga 3 will be free? Or does the free upgrade only apply to new purchases?

Christian

this case is not directly listed... so better contact/wait for official kolor answers...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:12 am 

Hi…
Now for the Destiny review on apg 3 :) …. So far.. WOW!... Very quick! Automatically sets the stacks, I realise I can set this if I wanted. The Fusion now opens in the left hand window rather than a floating panel as with the other settings, Great.., and HDR/LDR has more settings which I was really hoping for.. The main feature of apg that I felt was missing was the LDR and HDR output quality. To be honest, I gave up with it, just terrible… But, V3 is looking much better..;) and a full live preview window too.. Well done..! and quick to preview…!!... But oh why can’t I save my settings.. to pass onto other pano’s captured during the same shoot.. I asked for it and assumed it would be a major update feature but its not to be… So, we still have too individually tweak all the pano’s… I feel, it should be case of importing all of the pano’s, set the first one to the preferred settings whether using HDR or LDR and then have the option to pass this data onto the other pano’s for final rendering.. Now the question has to be asked.. Do we really have time to tweak a dozen pano's individually ... Sorry, I will stick with Photomatix batch processing until apg has a batch processing or data cloning feature..

On the real downside, its all just locked up.. I had to force quite…. But it is just Alpha 1.. I did manage to get a rendered pano before it crashed... apg 2.6 tended to cast strange coloured shadows when blending stacks which for me were often pinkish... But apg 3 is looking very nice... the blending and colours tones are very nice... much more even in its blending.. The colours are as captured... much better... :)))

Destiny...

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 pm 

sound very cool !!!
bravo la team pour cette formidable release !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 am 
Administrator

Thanks / Merci for feedback :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 am 

I bought Autopano Giga 2.6 back in April of this year and I havent even got round to using it yet, apart from learning how to use it.

How much will it cost for me to upgrade to v3.0??? Other software providers offer a free upgrade if the upgrade falls within a year of purchase. For me it is just 3 months ago.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 am 

amser666 wrote:
I bought Autopano Giga 2.6 back in April of this year and I havent even got round to using it yet, apart from learning how to use it.

How much will it cost for me to upgrade to v3.0??? Other software providers offer a free upgrade if the upgrade falls within a year of purchase. For me it is just 3 months ago.

Thanks

read the according lines here:
http://www.kolor.com/updates.html
Georg

PS upgrades: upgrades within the same major release are for FREE even if its 3 years after you bought your license...

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:04 am 

Hi Alex.. I am really wanting to test out the new feature for the nadir. I put a single set of images into apg, just one set from my bracketed set.. I then added the hand held nadir as suggested in the video.. If I put the pano images in, its stitches fine, and keeps level.. However, as soon as I add the hand captured nadir image the pano becomes wavy during detection and it say some images did not detect, 1. I tried straightening them and then using your spot tool to remove feature I did not want.. But did not work.. Is there more in the way of tutorials on this..

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:53 pm 

Does Autopano 3 alpha cohabit with Autopano 2.6 on the same computer (OS X 10.7)? I would like to test the alpha, but continue to use 2.6 for production work.
Does anyone have experience with that?
Thanks Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:04 pm 
Administrator

Both version do collaborate well because not installed in same folder nor sharing any settings together.