Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:44 pm 
Administrator

Hi,

Just a small post to show you our plan for next release. We're already working on it partially.
http://en.wiki.autopano.net/Autopano_Pro_Devplan

Code:
 1.3.1 Alpha 1

* Manual placement of pictures :
          o Drag'n'move individual picture to their location
          o Direct access to yaw/pitch/roll value
          o We'll also doing some research to improve SIFT when used through manual insertion of CP (Flags to select the quality of the detector used in Control Point Editor, but also a really finetunning of SIFT for that case)

* Other improvements :
          o 3 new color anchors : Mono WB, Mono Transfer, Mono WB+transfer. It gaves better results in some hard color correction cases.
          o When removing a picture from the panorama through the control point editor, a full calculation is done. It can be done differently to have an instant delete tool

1.3.1 Alpha 2

* Input files improvements :
          o Alpha support in input files (no control point there, and blenders will use this information)
          o Correct handling of the vertical flag if present
          o ICC profile workflow

* Other improvements :
          o Better PSD layer integration (when having Panorama layers, having the ability to put them all in a single PSD together with all source layers)

1.3.1 Alpha 3

* HDR tone mapping
          o New interface
          o New Tone mapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:23 pm 

Sounds good !

And the surprise ? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 pm 
Administrator

Still working on it ... got some delivery issue from a reseller. Will probably take some more time. So we're switching between it and the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:32 pm 

Hmm... Looks very interesting, as usual. But...

I can't really tell how much I (and many others) are eagerly looking forward to play with fisheye support. Can't you activate it in the 1.3.1 beta? You said it was almost working during the development of 1.3. You bought a fisheye yourself... I promise not to start feeding bugs about it ;-) Just give us what you have.

Otherwise I honestly think we won't get to see it until autumn/winter 2007 or so ;-(

Last edited by Frederik on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:26 pm 

Good news ...

Glad to see some of suggestied featureas instead of 'no', recommended before :)

I found usage for manual edition of pitch/yaw/roll. In some panoramas with big parallax APP can't good optimize some mages.

Please, add flag for force fixing lens parameters and manual edition of lens parmeeters (global or for individual images with yaw/pitch/roll)

Whats about bugs? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:19 am 

Hm. Those look like 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 to me, but that's your call. I can just now see another 6 months for a sub-minor version (ie 1.3.x) with new features for a major :)

The three new anchors will make the trial and error process popular now for getting better results even more tedious. More choices - 6 total? Feels a bit like over-complicating. Maybe a better logic to auto determine what set of anchors to use will be better?

And is a unified Panorama + CP editor somewhere on the radar? Certainly simplifying while maintaining functionality is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:45 am 
Administrator

'[bo wrote:
']The three new anchors will make the trial and error process popular now for getting better results even more tedious. More choices - 6 total? Feels a bit like over-complicating. Maybe a better logic to auto determine what set of anchors to use will be better?

Yes, I was also worried about that. I really don't know how to handle this. On one hand, we could just reduce the color correction to one anchor type (transfer), it works most of time, but not always. On the other hand, having all possibilities give power to solve any case : with those 3 new anchors I solved all test cases here.
I believe this discussion could become part of the ( standard / advanced ) interface for Autopano Pro : standard mode, one anchor type, advanced, all of them.

For the unified control point editor, we'll see. I already found we have a huge bunch of work to do ...

About timing : we already did some task on the list. It should goes really fast as listed features doesn't seem to take a lot of time individually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:18 pm 

Well, if you're able to push each "alpha" in a month or so, I'd still make those 1.31, 1.32, 1.33. Those are some pretty diverse features that you introduce - you'll end up having betas for each alpha. Anyway, that's your call, as I said.

On anchors: in some other threads I've seen posts that hint that probably is possible to calculate WB or color shift in separate images, so I kinda hoped APP will have some logic in the feature that tries to select the best possible combination. The need of such logic will become even more obvious now with 6 choices. I don't consider myself an advanced user and I still have to experiment for most panoramas to get good results... :(

I envision a point in the future, where two color correction modes will be available - auto, that does what I suggest in the previous paragraph and custom, that allows you to use some kind of color picker palette (or a spectrum tool, or whatever, but no 10 types of anchors), where you can offset the center point for each image or something like this. This way the manual-type users will have their tools (and for extreme cases - for everyone), while for the general case, APP will be able to figure it out on itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:53 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
I believe this discussion could become part of the ( standard / advanced ) interface for Autopano Pro [..]

I'm interested in a standard / advanced discussion because I'm interested in using both the easy-to-use version (to stitch fast but large enough previews) and the more-difficult-to-use version (to fine tune the really interesting panos.) I know that the former is not necessarily the easiest to make (too many "For Dummies" books are no more than dummy books and in my opinion this mostly depends on the book subject: "is an Autopano-For-Dummies possible?" is a very difficult matter.)

Because inexperienced users are afraid of any setting, a possible solution is to show them previews of the possible alternatives. An example could be to display rectilinear, cylindrical and equirectangular previews at the same time and to ask them which one they prefer (this way they would not have to care with words like projection nor any other of the above terrible words.) Whether this could be extended to moving the horizon up or down (the "camera horizon" that is, not the skyline), adjusting pano brightness (brighter?, darker?) or to saying "Your panorama is difficult to stitch, do you want the program making another (slower) attempt?", I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:45 pm 

GURL wrote:
AlexandreJ wrote:
I believe this discussion could become part of the ( standard / advanced ) interface for Autopano Pro [..]

I'm interested in a standard / advanced discussion because I'm interested in using both the easy-to-use version (to stitch fast but large enough previews) and the more-difficult-to-use version (to fine tune the really interesting panos.) I know that the former is not necessarily the easiest to make (too many "For Dummies" books are no more than dummy books and in my opinion this mostly depends on the book subject: "is an Autopano-For-Dummies possible?" is a very difficult matter.)

Because inexperienced users are afraid of any setting, a possible solution is to show them previews of the possible alternatives. An example could be to display rectilinear, cylindrical and equirectangular previews at the same time and to ask them which one they prefer (this way they would not have to care with words like projection nor any other of the above terrible words.) Whether this could be extended to moving the horizon up or down (the "camera horizon" that is, not the skyline), adjusting pano brightness (brighter?, darker?) or to saying "Your panorama is difficult to stitch, do you want the program making another (slower) attempt?", I don't know.

Wow, wonderful suggestions about using previews to determine settings for a basic user. IMHO that is a feature that would increase the potential user base. Having a comparative tool for settings via preview would be high on my list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:53 am 

Alexandre, when do you plan betas of 1.3.1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:00 am 
Administrator

We hope to release alpha 1 by the end of this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:48 pm 

Alexandre,

If you find the time, *please* option Smartblend to turn off the alpha channel.

Thanks

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:22 pm 
Administrator

I don't understand what you want evogel99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:24 pm 

He's referring to the Alpha channel in 16-bit TIFF files (and Smartblend), I think. And it is marked 1.3.1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:46 pm 
Administrator

Ok. That's in alpha support revamp. See details in devplan, it's alpha 2, if I remind my writting well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:26 am 

No that's not what I want. In Alpha 2 it says alpha support for input files. I want APP to OUTPUT a plain 48 bit TIF with NO alpha channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 am 
Administrator

Yes. Okay. We'll look at this wish when doing the alpha support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:10 pm 

Thanks Alexandre - most appreciated!

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:22 pm 
Administrator

I updated the devplan a little. I added today a cool new feature : "Merge Panoramas". Love that. If both panoramas are sharing some same pictures, it remaps nicely both parts. It's really cool to handle big panoramas. Unfortunately, there will be no release this end of week, we had to fix some more stuff in the code before release. It will put the alpha 1 for end of next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 am 

"Ability to enable / disable line cross of center point (Menu view : enable / disable cross)"

Do you want make grid in short? :)

Grid is very importand to check quality of horizont and verticals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:20 am 

About fine tune button: It's not work now, therefore I need to ask.

If I turn on geometry analyzer and bad control points clener, when optimisation will be done? After g.a.? After bad c.p cleaner? Or 2 optimizations after g.a. and bad c.p. cleaner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:25 am 

Small improvemenet for bad c.p. cleaner. Now I can select with radio button what to do: keep N best c.ps OR remove c.ps with big RMS.

it is better to change "OR" to "AND" (select with checkbox), to have possibility to combine clearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:26 pm 

What will be with manually entered yaw/pitch/roll values after optimisation? :)

Please, change display of exposure time from float values to 1/X values.