Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Wavy Pano
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:46 pm 

Hi!

I have some bad wavy lines in my latest pano - used the newest version of APT.
The equirectangulars´ lines are straight.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:53 pm 

Problem solved!

Story:
i didn´t shoot a Nadir. So i cropped the picture in APG - this writes the EXIFs for APT to limit the down-angle.
In that case APT doesn´t let you set a pano-size instead of a cubeface-size - that in this case was 10000
instead of the usual 3184 and a cutting size of 512.
That alters the data field in panorama properties also.

Doing so i guess the rendering quality changes - and not to the better maybe.

So: don´t crop a picture in APG for telling APT to limit the down-angle - edit a down-angle limit in the xml instead.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm 

oops,

really not the first LHC black hole ;)

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:14 pm 

klausesser wrote:
So: don´t crop a picture in APG for telling APT to limit the down-angle - edit a down-angle limit in the xml instead.

best, Klaus

Of course it would be much better if APT had a feature to allow the user to set the viewing limits in the GUI as Pano2VR does.

Seems a fairly basic requirement to me, but...

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 pm 

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

Of course it would be much better if APT had a feature to allow the user to set the viewing limits in the GUI as Pano2VR does.

Seems a fairly basic requirement to me, but...

Hi Andrew!

Usually it works fine by cropping the image in APG. APT writes it to the picture´s EXIFs and APT writes it into the generated xml.
The xml structure seems to be a good way - you can alter almost all parameters at any time you like by open them in a text-editor.
That way you wouldn´t have to generate a pano once again when you want to change it´s behaviour but type into the xml instead.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Usually it works fine by cropping the image in APG. APT writes it to the picture´s EXIFs and APT writes it into the generated xml.

Yes, but if you process the stitched pano before using it in APT then that custom EXIF tag is lost.

And if (heaven forbid) you are using a different stitching progam - which many may when APT is offered as a separate product - then you have the same problem.
Quote:
The xml structure seems to be a good way - you can alter almost all parameters at any time you like by open them in a text-editor.

This assumes you have an unlimited domains license for krpano, which I feel should not be essential to set something as basic as viewer limits, and that you are willing to learn about editing the XML.

The whole point about a comprehensive GUI front-end/XML generator for krpano - in my view - is that you should not have to resort to editing the XML except in exceptional circumstances. APT has yet to evolve to that level but I think it should remain the goal.
Quote:
That way you wouldn´t have to generate a pano once again when you want to change it´s behaviour but type into the xml instead.

Changes made via the GUI should only require re-output of those files that need to be updated.

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:28 pm 

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Yes, but if you process the stitched pano before using it in APT then that custom EXIF tag is lost.

I always edit the equis in Photoshop or Aperture. APT recognizes EXIFs nevertheless.

mediavets wrote:
And if (heaven forbid) you are using a different stitching progam - which many may when APT is offered as a separate product - then you have the same problem.

Quote:

The whole point about a comprehensive GUI front-end/XML generator for krpano - in my view - is that you should not have to resort to editing the XML except in exceptional circumstances. APT has yet to evolve to that level but I think it should remain the goal.

Yes - of course it would be great to have a GUI for KRPano. Many Users ask for it for a long time - nevertheless i bet it isn´t easy to write one . . . regarding all the functionality it provides.

mediavets wrote:
Quote:

Changes made via the GUI should only require re-output of files that need to be updated.

The problem is: it would get very complex - and i bet it couldn´t be sold as a bargain.

This whole thing is very new - just one or two years i think. And for a long time KRPano was kind of an insider-tip.
Only recently it reaches customers not familiar with coding and editing xml.

Let it grow . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:32 pm 

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:

I always edit the equis in Photoshop or Aperture. APT recognizes EXIFs nevertheless.

There's no problem with equirectangular (360x180) images, whether the custom EXIF tag is intact or is lost, because pano FOV in APT defaults to 360x180.

On the other hand the custom EXIF data is vital for automatically setting pano FOV in APT with pano mages of less than 360x180 FOV.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:33 pm 

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:

There's no problem with equirectangular (360x180) images, whether the custom EXIF tag re,ain sinatct or is lost, because pano FOV in APT defaults to 360x180.

Yes - but it´s the same with cropped equis.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:47 pm 

klausesser wrote:
This whole thing is very new - just one or two years i think. And for a long time KRPano was kind of an insider-tip.
Only recently it reaches customers not familiar with coding and editing xml.

Let it grow . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

True.

APT shows much promise; I like it a lot. It is so very easy to use. But...

I'm just frustrated that APT seems to be evolving more slowly that I had expected, and the developers seem rather unresponsive to user input and suggestions.

I appreciate that no GUI front-end to krpano is ever likely to provide access to very last bell and whistle that krpano offers, but unfortunately at present I feel that APT lacks too much rather basic functionality, such as the ability to set viewer limits, to really challenge more established alternatives such as Pano2VR or Flashificator + Flash Panorama Player.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:55 pm 

mediavets wrote:
. . . to really challenge more established alternatives such as Pano2VR or Flashificator + Flash Panorama Player.

What keeps you away from using Pano2VR or others instead of APT? :cool:

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 pm 

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:
. . . to really challenge more established alternatives such as Pano2VR or Flashificator + Flash Panorama Player.

What keeps you away from using Pano2VR or others instead of APT? :cool:

best, Klaus

I have a pano2VR license, purchased long before APT existed, and also use that program. It's very good for putting single panos on-line as Flash, and I like the patch tool. However I'm too lazy to make the effort to get to grips with the some 'eccentric' and less-than-intuitive Skin Editor to learn how to link panos, create thumbnails, maps, and so on , but I admire the results produced by those who have made the effort and I can see that they can produce results that could not be produced with the current version of APT without additional hand coding.

As for Flashificator (FFC) + Flash Panorama Player (FPP) ; The Russian FPP author seems to be more reclusive than Greta Garbo ever was, and only communicates in occasional cryptic utterances communicated via a third-party. There's even been some uncertainty as to whether he's still developing the product. I can't see that FPP offers anything that krpano doesn't, and krpano uniquely offers a multi-resolution capability. Flashificator, the GUI front-end for FPP, is the brain child of a splendidly eccentric Icelander who lives in Lima, Peru. He is very communicative and supportive of his users but the future of his product is of course wholly dependent on what happens with FPP and there appears to be be no functional channel of communication between the developer of FPP and the developer of Flashficator. There are no trial versions of either Flash Panorama Player or Flashificator - so no chance to try before you buy, although neither is very expensive.

I use APT because of its exceptional ease of use for simple tours, because of krpano's unique multi-resolution capabilities, because I'd like to contribute ideas for APT's further development, and because I like Kolor products and believe that ultimately APP/APG + APT-krpano can evolve to become the undisputed 'best of breed'.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.