[APT beta 7] thumbnails size  

This forum is fully dedicated to Autopano Tour. Bug report as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14290
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

[APT beta 7] thumbnails size

by mediavets » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

I seem to have managed (not intentionally) to create thumbnails that are larger than the background thumbnail bar.

Is this to be expected or a bug?




Last edited by mediavets on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Adrien F
Member
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:18 am

by Adrien F » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:13 pm

This is a side effect of the known bug announced in the beta 7 changelog.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14290
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Adrien F wrote:This is a side effect of the known bug announced in the beta 7 changelog.

OK - this is what you refer to?:
known bug:
* Thumbnail : if you stretch the window along width, size of thumbnail pictures will grow but not the height of the thumbnail plugin. This may cause overlapping of thumbnail pictures in some cases.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg

by gkaefer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Christian Walz in Tarantinos inglorious bastards said: "biiiiiiinngggooooo". ;-)
I support your "its a bug theory"

I took a nearly square image and added it twice to the pano in my test.
for left pano I said spherical projection
for right pano I saig planar projection.
in fact its any emxample image I took - a screenshot - so def. planar...

as you can see in my screenshots:
the left thumb is not square in format and result in preview is not planar, but the thumb overlap is normal
the right thumb is suare in format and result in preview is planar, but thumb overlap is incorrect as in your example...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg




Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14290
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Adrien,

A related question.

What determines the aspect ratio and FOV of thumbnail images?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14290
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 am

Following on from my previous post...and the post from Georg...

Experimentation shows that if a tour comprises panos with different aspect ratios - for example some spherical panos plus a number of partial panos each with a different pano FOV then the thumbnails will be of different sizes and aspect ratios - whicb is plainly unacceptable for a thumbnail bar for navigation.

What plans are there to resolve this and how do you plan to resolve it?
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Adrien F
Member
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:18 am

by Adrien F » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 am

mediavets wrote:What determines the aspect ratio and FOV of thumbnail images?

Thumbnail images are the same as preview images used in krpano. So for a spherical pano, FOV (vertical and horizontal) will be used to determine aspect ratio, in the case of a planar projection, the picture keep its original aspect ratio.

This is the good way if we don't want stretching of the pictures.

mediavets wrote:for example some spherical panos plus a number of partial panos each with a different pano FOV then the thumbnails will be of different sizes and aspect ratios - which is plainly unacceptable for a thumbnail bar for navigation. What plans are there to resolve this and how do you plan to resolve it?

This is normal behavior. How do you want to represent thumbnails of panos with different aspect ratio, with the same size and aspect ratio, without stretching the images? Of course we could stretch all thumbnails to the same normalized size, but that would be, IMO, visually unacceptable.

There is two ways to overcome the actual thumbnail size problem:

* The first one is to resize each thumbnail so it fit into an invisible container, each container having the same aspect ratio:
=>No more overlapping between thumbs
=>Aspect ratio of thumbs is kept
=>this is more or less the thumbnail preview in windows (and other OS) explorer.

* The second one is to crop some part of the panoramas preview so it fit some predefined dimension and aspect ratio
=>All thumbs have same aspect ratio and same size (hence an homogeneous view in thumbnail slide)
=>No difference between full 360 and partial pano
=>No visual indices on the panorama aspect ratio : not satisfying for users doing vertical panorama (and eventually mix them with classical panos in a visit)
=>Which part of the pano should we crop? (not really an issue but I put it)

You see I long for the first one, but I agree the second one has its pros.

So here you go to tell which one could satisfy to the more general cases. And let's focus on the one which should be implemented first. We know all solution should be proposed, but this is middle/long term.

Of course you can propose other way (for the actual thumbnail model, no caroussel or other sliding thumbnail like the krpano plugin).

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14290
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Adrien F wrote:There is two ways to overcome the actual thumbnail size problem:

* The first one is to resize each thumbnail so it fit into an invisible container, each container having the same aspect ratio:
=>No more overlapping between thumbs
=>Aspect ratio of thumbs is kept
=>this is more or less the thumbnail preview in windows (and other OS) explorer.

* The second one is to crop some part of the panoramas preview so it fit some predefined dimension and aspect ratio
=>All thumbs have same aspect ratio and same size (hence an homogeneous view in thumbnail slide)
=>No difference between full 360 and partial pano
=>No visual indices on the panorama aspect ratio : not satisfying for users doing vertical panorama (and eventually mix them with classical panos in a visit)
=>Which part of the pano should we crop? (not really an issue but I put it)

You see I long for the first one, but I agree the second one has its pros.

So here you go to tell which one could satisfy to the more general cases. And let's focus on the one which should be implemented first. We know all solution should be proposed, but this is middle/long term.

Of course you can propose other way (for the actual thumbnail model, no caroussel or other sliding thumbnail like the krpano plugin).

I am finding it hard to visualise - and thus choose - between the two options you describe.

Here are some APT preview images; can you show me what they would look like when turned into thumbnails - for the same thumbnail bar - in each of the two proposed 'styles'?










Last edited by mediavets on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Adrien F
Member
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:18 am

by Adrien F » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Here are two screenshot of the possible solutions I proposed.
On the first one proportion are kept. On the second one, previews are croped.






Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest