Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:03 am 

Hello

This is really a great forum.

I want to purchase a motorised head for shooting panoramas but i also want to combine this head with astronomy.My question is if a Celestron like this (Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT)

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=29 or this one
(NexStar 4SE Computerized Telescope)
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=13&ProdID=413

can be used (control them ) with PapyWizard?

Or this Sky-watcher could work as a merlin head?
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sky-watcher-skymax-102-synscan-maksutov-cassegrain-telescope/p1033885

Thanks for any answer.

regards

Last edited by wannapano on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:56 pm 

Hi!

The NexStar 4SE should do. The 102 wouldn´t.
You need to match both axis in one point.
With the 102 the vertical axis doesn´t meet the horizontal one.
So you have an offset which you can´t compensate.

But if you use ONLY tele lenses that might be no problem - you just have
to avoid closer distance. That means you can´t shoot indoors or in a architectural motifs
outside.

I would not recommend the 102.

best, Klaus

P.S.: i think both of them wouldn´t work with PapyWizard.

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:28 pm 

Hello "wannapano", welcome on board ! :)

If you want to combine "pano-photography" with motorized Merlin head (+ Papywizard) AND Astronomy (+ eventually astronomy photography) you can go to the next assembly :

Merlin AZ Goto mount : £ 179.00
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories/telescope_mountings/merlin_synscan_az_goto

+

SKYMAX-102T (Tube Assembly) 102MM (4") F/1300 MAKSUTOV-CASSEGRAIN TELESCOPE : £ 159.00
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/maksutov-cassegrains/skymax-102t_tube_assembly

------------------------

170 + 159 = 338.00 £ U.K. suggested retail prices (SRP) including VAT

List of the UK resellers

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/distributors.asp?COUNTRY_ID=223

+ eventually a tripod, but you have maybe allready one !?

+ eventually a BT module for wireless communication between PC and Merlin !?

With this combination you will have the best compromize of both worlds ...

Good luck ! ;)

Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:49 pm 

Hi wannapano.

I went down the route of the Merlin AZ Goto as I wanted the option to use the mount as a portable astronomy setup. It will take a small telescope, ideally a Maksutov in the 90 to 110mm aperture range or a short refractor. I've not tested it out yet, but it should be capable of long exposure widefield imaging with camera lenses, and will be great for visual work on the moon and planets.

The unit comes with a sturdy metal table top base, but it has a 3/8" tripod screw so can be mounted on most standard tripods (Manfrotto, Vebon etc)

See my post for details:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/t9635-new-merlin-synscan-az-goto-user

I got mine from Sherwoods Photographic - Very good service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:55 pm 

Hello again

I want to thank you all for your replies.Choices are clear now so i will purchase the equipment and i will return to tell you my results.

thank you one more time

regards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:16 pm 

Hello Greg and "wannapano",

The choice between a Maksutov (like the "SKYMAX-102T") and a short refractor should be oriented by what you want achieve in astronomy ...

The Maksutov' are in general better adapted to the observation (or photography) of the moon, planets and small "stars groups"
The short refractor is better adapted to stars observation and pictures (wide field pictures) but can be replaced by a small camera tele-objectif !!!

The Skymax-102T is 1300 mm in focal !!! He is also excellent for wild animals pictures !
A short refractor is between 60 and 100 mm in focal (= small tele) but generally more expensive then a Makutsov

The wide-field astro-photography is generally made with classical photography objectives between +/- 50 and 125 mm.

Conclusion ?
- A short refractor could be replaced by a good zoom or small prime tele !
- A Maksutov replace big tele-objectives at a much lower price and is complementary to photo material !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:58 am 

@ claudevh

Thanks for the additional details about which telescope is more suitable .I appreciate that because i spend a lot of time in bird photography (my blog is http://www.walkingandclicking.blogspot.com/) so i want my equipment to has multiple uses.The combination of these 3 kinds of photography (panorama,bird photography and astro photography) can become very expensive if you want good results.At this moment i have various lenses for birds ,but the one i use most is a AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II with a TC 1.7 X to give me 510mm with very crisp results.This lens is great for 2 reasons:It is a very bright one (f 2.8) and with very high quality optics.In this case i could use a telescope only as a support for classical photography and i try to find the best solution according to my "pocket" for decent astro photography and observation.
My main problem at the moment is not to pay twice for the same result i can get with one buy.That is how you helped me.It is obvious that if i buy the celestron head i have to buy a second one(Merlin) for the panoramas and papywizard compatibility.

thanks again

P.S i already sent a mail to opticalvision to let me know if they ship their products in Greece.I wait for their answer.If they answer yes i will purchase from them the head and the telescope,but if i got it right from a previous post you can sell the BT module for wireless communication (papyMerlin).Is this right or i misunderstood?

regards

Last edited by wannapano on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm 

wannapano wrote:
i already sent a mail to opticalvision to let me know if they ship their products in Greece.I wait for their answer.If they answer yes i will purchase from them the head and the telescope,but if i got it right from a previous post you can sell the BT module for wireless communication (papyMerlin).Is this right or i misunderstood?

regards

Opticalvision is wholesale distributor they do not sell direct to the end-customer but supply retailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:39 pm 

@mediavets

As far as i can see i will have to locate some retailer..

thanks for the information

P.S If you know some e-shops that can provide me these products please post a link.This survey started because the Merlin/Orion products are not available in Greece (as far as i know from my searches).That is why i started from Celestron and sky-watcher products that are available here.I still try to figure out if this product is an alternative for papywizard instead of merlin sync to go head. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sky … e/p1033885 A definition on that could help me most.

regards

Last edited by wannapano on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:01 pm 

Hi Wannapano,

Try here :
http://www.astronomy.gr/ and look for Skywatcher

And have a look on this link:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ#Where_to_buy_a_Merlin_mount_.3F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:31 pm 

@claude

One more time i want to thank for the help.

When i started searching i made a survey and i understood that Skywatcher and merlin products are probably common made or use common parts or sth like that.So i had already spotted this one for my needs http://www.astronomy.gr/main.cfm?module=eshop&action=detail&id=1772 from the local market (it is from the site you suggested) but i could not find something to ensure that this head is controlled from papywizard since it comes under different name in Greece (In every forum i see it everywhere as a merlin/orion and not as a skywatcher).That is how i found this forum.
So if i understand it right the skywatcher head like in the link i post here and the merlin/orion i find in other european sites are the same for the papywizard,Is this correct?

thanks once more

P.S Maybe for some people what i ask is more than clear but since i will spend some money i want to be as certain as possible.

regards

Last edited by wannapano on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:52 pm 

@ wannapano,

The link you show isn't the right model ! :/

I suggest you that you order from Opticstar.com who deliver everywere in Europe:
http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Nature/Nat.asp?p=0_13_4_10_100
To stay compatible with Pano's and Astronomy, you should choice the second model
"Merlin GOTO Tabletop" order code : ACR20224 , price : £ 179.00 (vat included)
This model is the only one who will permit the "correct" adjustment of the vertical AND horizontal axis for panophotography !

Please read the FAQ's and mostly :
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ#Other_Merlin_brand_and_model_names_.3F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:50 pm 

Wandapano,

This is where I got mine from...

See MERLIN SYNSCANâ„¢ AZ GOTO COMPUTERISED TABLE-TOP ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNT, about half way down the page.
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/sky_watcher/skywatcher_mounts_motors_fs.html
There site says they will ship to EU http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/company_info.htm, but you need to email them to get a shipping quotation.

I am not connected to this company, but they have given me good service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:44 pm 

I have received my merlin head and the papymerlin also.They both work perfectly.Now i just need time to make tests and some decent panos.Before that though i want to thank everyone in the forum who helped to "make" the puzzle work and a special thank to claudevhclaudevh not only for his replies but for the excellent way he treated the delivery of papymerlin.He is one of few people in the world with this kind of professional behavior.He wanted to be assured that papymerlin works before anything else! Thanks again.

I will come back with details so any other like me find my experience useful and save time and money as the other people in the forum saved for me.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:24 pm 

Hello- How do I make Papywizard work with a Nexstar mount?
I have a Celestron Nexstar mount. I thought it would be neat if I could use it to take night sky panorama's, so I installed Papywizard on a Windows 7 machine. It installed fine. I also have a program called Nexstar Observer List (NSOL), which runs the mount very well through a usb/serial connection. Papywizard won't connect to the mount through the same serial connect cable. Strangely, on the NSOL program, the active port is Com 14, but Papywizard recognizes the mount through Com 13. This is using the Merlin/Orion serial settings. I get red checks on the Inti communication box, and the computer doesn't move the mount.
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:30 am 

Let me rephrase my question-- Does/is there a interface from Papywizard to the ASCOM drivers for astronomical mounts? ASCOM is the standard used by all the major manufactures. I would also like to use Papywizard on my 10" LX200 mount. ASCOM can be reached at http://www.ascom-standards.org. Many times when I install a new astronomy program I have to update the ASCOM driver. Somehow the new program interfaces with the ASCOM driver and things magically work.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 am 

Hello "lancehsch" , welcome to the forum ...

Sorry i am a little bit confused by your questions.

The first time you are speaking about "Celestron Nexstar"

The second time you speak about the "Meade LX200"

Those 2 astro mounts are using different "protocols" !

Papywizard can drive mount using the "Skywacher protocol" who is normally the same as Celestron... but not via the Meade protocol !
But Papywizard is "autonomous"... it as all what necessary to drive "directly" the mount "without intermediate layer".
So Papywizard can't drive trough ASCOM !!!

If you want to drive a "Skywatcher" compatible mount with Papywizard, you must connect it directly to the mount via a communication device like a special BT module (BT to TTL 5 volts), a special "USB to ttl 5 v" or trough a "Synscan" hand controler using the "Direct PC mode" ...

Hope that help ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 pm 

Please allow me to rephrase my questions
I will address 3 different subjects

Subject #1--Question-Does Papywizard work with a Celestron Nexstar mount?
The version of Papywizard I have offers plugins for Clauss, GigaPanBot, Merlin-Orion, Panoduino, and PixOrb. None of these plugins work with a Nexstar mount when I use a known-good "USB to ttl 5v" cable. I am able to use the same cable with other programs to successfully drive the Nexstar mount.
The answer I came up with using my existing Nexstar mount, a known good cable, and Papywizard is--
Papywizard does not work with a Nexstar mount.
End of Subject #1

Subject #2--Is anyone willing to create a plugin for Papywizard that would allow use of a Nexstar mount ? An existing driver for the Nexstar mount is available at http://www.ascom-standards.org. I believe this driver can become a plugin in Papywizard.
End of Subject #2

Subject #3--Is anyone willing to create plugins for other fork-style astronomical mounts like the CPC 1100 or the LX200? These fork mounts are capable of handling very heavy weights, in some cases well over 100 lbs. Again drivers exist for these mounts at http://www.ascom-standards.org. I believe it is simply a matter of converting them to plugins.
End of Subject #3.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 pm 

lancehsch wrote:
Subject #1--Question-Does Papywizard work with a Celestron Nexstar mount?

YES, you should use the plug-in Merlin/Orion with "Serial" as connection type with a USB to TTL convertor

lancehsch wrote:
Subject #2--Is anyone willing to create a plugin for Papywizard that would allow use of a Nexstar mount ?

No, this allready exist = Merlin/Orion !

lancehsch wrote:
Subject #3--Is anyone willing to create plugins for other fork-style astronomical mounts like the CPC 1100 or the LX200?

No... for the CPC 1100 can run allready with Papywizard, have a look on the next post:http://www.kolor.com/forum/t10563-using-celstron-cpc-1100
For the LX200 , you should ask to the Papywizard developper "fma38"( fma38@gbiloba.org )