no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Ordered and now second guessing

by rbudnikas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a member of PanoGuide and was reading several threads on Merlin,Orion & Papywizard and thought I would jump in here and ask my questions. I'm currently using a Sony A100 with a Samyang 8mm Fisheye on a Nodal Ninja 5L and all works really well for my virtual tours. I have a commercial client that wants me to start shooting elevated panos of their chain of commercial properties.

So I know my gear works great at ground level. I use an RF release on my camera which works at great distances up to 100 feet. I've ordered an orion goto since I cannot find an orion/skywatcher non goto and the manufacturer discontinued it. It will take a couple of weeks.

I know that I will have to modify the actual mount to position my camera vertically. Am I assuming correctly that the Orion will rotate a full 360 degrees?

Am I also assuming correctly to rotate the head around there is a hand control which is good for ground level but I need a bluetooth device?? - does the hand control connect to another bluetooth transmitter to communicate??

I'm thinking that I use a controller to turn the head and my RF to trigger my shutter. Pretty simple but after reading many of the threads here it seems I may be missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert
Robert

Sony A100, A550, 18-55mm/f3.5, Samyang 8mm/f3.5 Fisheye, Merlin/Orion panohead w/Papywizard 2.1.16-1 on Nokia N800, Nodal Ninja 5L on Manfrotto Tripod and Acer 5630 Laptop.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:27 pm

rbudnikas wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am a member of PanoGuide and was reading several threads on Merlin,Orion & Papywizard and thought I would jump in here and ask my questions. I'm currently using a Sony A100 with a Samyang 8mm Fisheye on a Nodal Ninja 5L and all works really well for my virtual tours. I have a commercial client that wants me to start shooting elevated panos of their chain of commercial properties.

So I know my gear works great at ground level. I use an RF release on my camera which works at great distances up to 100 feet. I've ordered an orion goto since I cannot find an orion/skywatcher non goto and the manufacturer discontinued it. It will take a couple of weeks.

I don't know where you are located but AFAIK the non-goto model is still available.

I know that I will have to modify the actual mount to position my camera vertically. Am I assuming correctly that the Orion will rotate a full 360 degrees?

Yes. It can rotate thrugh 360 degrees (many times) on both axes. Whether it can do that with you camera/lens mounted in a vertical plnae depends on the size of your equipment.

Am I also assuming correctly to rotate the head around there is a hand control which is good for ground level but I need a bluetooth device?? - does the hand control connect to another bluetooth transmitter to communicate??

If you plan to use the Papywizard software to control the head and the camera shutter then you need some hardware platform to host the Papywizard software. That can be a Nokia N800 or N810 Internet Tablet, or a Windows PC, or a Linux PC, or a Mac. The Nokia N800 and N810 are the smallest and most portable platforms for Papywizard and they have built-in Bluetooth cabapability. If using another type of platform you can use a Bluetooth or a serial connection (wired or wireless) to connect to the head.

In every case the Bluetooth, or serial connection, replaces the hand control and requires the purchase of an interface device.

If you have the goto version of the head you have no choice but to purchase the appropriate Bluetooth-and-shutter-control device from Teleskop-Austria, which is the only device to offer Papywizard shutter control for the goto head..

If you have the non-goto version of the head then the best Bluetooth device if the Papy-Merlin from ClaudeVH:
http://www.papymerlin.com/interface-%C3%A9lectronique/

I'm thinking that I use a controller to turn the head and my RF to trigger my shutter. Pretty simple but after reading many of the threads here it seems I may be missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

Does the info I have provided answer your questions?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:34 pm

If you are interested in PAP (Pole Aerial Photography) there are alternative options for the mounting head placed at the top of a mast and I do not believe that Merlin is really the way forward.

I used to own and run my own PAP company before selling it and there are better options for the head unit that are lighter, give you better control on all axis (roll, pitch & yaw) than the merlin and more importantly, in being lighter units, safer to operate at height.

A better alternative would be for a radio controlled head unit that the camera is attached to with a video downlink so that you have a "live feed" of what the camera is seeing. PhotoShip One offer interesting head units and Troy @ Envision (seen him on APP forum as well) also fabricates his own units in CF.

If you want some ideas on equipment and set ups, check out the guys at the "Elevated Photography" forum at www.aplanding.com They will be able to offer you a wealth of knowledge, tips and product information. There are also usually complete PAP set ups up for sale that may be of interest if you are US based.
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Hello, Thanks for the replies so far. I always find great value in these forums.

Regarding the Non-Goto Model, I contacted the main distributor for Canada (in Vancouver) and they said that they were no longer available and they had many of them fail within the first few hours of operation.

So if I understand correctly I don't really need to use the papywizard to control the head. Really all I need is the bluetooth unit to turn 60 degree increments and use the RF trigger to fire the camera.

Is this the product you are speaking about from teleskop - austria http://www.teleskop-austria.at/prod.php?lng=slo&tid=15#montz-blt-hu

What value does the Papywizard provide?

Regarding the comment about a different approach - there are several different solutions to take pole photography. Different Masts, Different Head Units, Different methods like balloon, Kite, RC. I'm sure they all have their different uses. Problem is some of these solutions cost upwards of $20K. Having said this I was trying to come up with a solution that is low cost enough but secure. I don't know if this is going to be something I am going to do on a regular basis. If it is then it will do until I can get into a solution that is geared to everyday use. For me there is a big difference between making an investment in a high cost solution to simply take one picture at 50 feet of a building. I don't believe there is much money to be made in that approach.

Ultimately I saw a solution in the 20K range that uses a UAV. Very cool and can literally do anything you want. Problem with this solution is that living in Canada local governments can be sticky about such devices flying around. Good for rural applications but not in the city.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards,

Robert
Last edited by rbudnikas on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Sony A100, A550, 18-55mm/f3.5, Samyang 8mm/f3.5 Fisheye, Merlin/Orion panohead w/Papywizard 2.1.16-1 on Nokia N800, Nodal Ninja 5L on Manfrotto Tripod and Acer 5630 Laptop.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm

rbudnikas wrote:Hello, Thanks for the replies so far. I always find great value in these forums.

Regarding the Non-Goto Model, I contacted the main distributor for Canada (in Vancouver) and they said that they were no longer available and they had many of them fail within the first few hours of operation.

The word that comes to mind is 'b*ll*cks'. Of course they'd say that if they didn't have one to sell to you.

So if I understand correctly I don't really need to use the papywizard to control the head. Really all I need is the bluetooth unit to turn 60 degree increments and use the RF trigger to fire the camera.

Jeez - It's really not so difficult to understand...but you seem determined to fail to grasp it. Perhaps still hung over after that ice hockey match? ;)

Never mind - let me try and offer a more readily undesrtood explanantion/description:

..The head is 'dumb', no smarts at all in there.

..The hand controller has very limited smarts, orientated to astronomy useage.

..Papywizard software running on a variety of hardware platforms is a very smart controller, designed specifically for pano photography.

..Papywizard needs some way to communicate with that dumb head; this can be Bluetooth or serial.

..The head does not have bluetooth, or RS232 serial, interfaces so you need a separate device to connect to the head to enable communication via Bluetooth or serial with Papywizard.

..The goto version of the head lacks the camera shutter control port, which the non-goto version has, so the only way you can use it with Papywizard controlling the shutter directly is to use the special Bluetooth device from Telskop-Austria for the goto model of the head as this (also) provides a camera shutter control port.

Is this the product you are speaking about from teleskop - austria http://www.teleskop-austria.at/prod.php?lng=slo&tid=15#montz-blt-hu

No - they have another version, with an additional shutter control port, for goto mounts - but their web site is so badly organised I can't find it.

What value does the Papywizard provide?

The Papywizard software (running on a variety of hardware) replaces the limited function hand controller and operates as a very smart controller for pano photography.

Was this explanantion any easier to understand?

Regarding the comment about a different approach - there are several different solutions to take pole photography. Different Masts, Different Head Units, Different methods like balloon, Kite, RC. I'm sure they all have their different uses. Problem is some of these solutions cost upwards of $20K. Having said this I was trying to come up with a solution that is low cost enough but secure. I don't know if this is going to be something I am going to do on a regular basis. If it is then it will do until I can get into a solution that is geared to everyday use. For me there is a big difference between making an investment in a high cost solution to simply take one picture at 50 feet of a building. I don't believe there is much money to be made in that approach.

Ultimately I saw a solution in the 20K range that uses a UAV. Very cool and can literally do anything you want. Problem with this solution is that living in Canada local governments can be sticky about such devices flying around. Good for rural applications but not in the city.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards,

Robert

It sounds to me that you'd be better advised to sub-contract this elevated photography job. There is no way to get professional grade results 'on the cheap' really; and you'd need a very substantial mast to raise a Merlin head with DSLR and fisheye lens to 50 feet. I expect you can find someone in Western Canada or the NW USA?
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Hey Andrew, the explanation is good and I do understand what you're saying but your comments seem like you're assuming that i want to shoot gigapanos or something. You know not all of us here in Canada are dumb. Maybe Hockey fans but not dumb and by the way we are all proud of how well all our athletes.

I guess you have the benefit of having a unit in your hands and the software running it. Unfortunately I don't and my concern is more to the control of the unit. As I said before I can fire my camera via the RF. I need to know if this unit can actually rotate to 60-stop, 120-stop, 180-stop, 240-stop, 300-stop, 360-stop and tilt accurately via the controller or do I absolutely have to use the papywizard to operate it. If it's fully automatic using the bluetooth and software then that's a bonus I can learn to use later but I don't need the unit to fire my camera right now.

I'm assuming it's this one from 365 astronomy.com http://www.365astronomy.com/bluetooth-interface-skywatcher-autotrackingmerlin-eos-control-p-1432.html

Regarding your B**ll**ck's comment. I can only go by what different dealers are saying and skywatcher themselves. Here are some links that were given on this forum.

http://www.skywatcherusa.com/multifunction-mount-s21300.html
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=439-277-12772&kw=&st=0
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sky-watcher-multi-function-mount-with-tripod.html

Also if it were available in the UK or europe the pricing turns out to be double when you put in the exchange. So if the only difference is the fact the it doesn't have a trigger not a biggy for me.

Re the mast I never said I was going to be cheap when it came to a mast. I was just reflecting on the other persons comment which seemed like leading me more to an RC solution.
Last edited by rbudnikas on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

rbudnikas wrote:Hey Andrew, the explanation is good and I do understand what you're saying but your comments seem like you're assuming that i want to shoot gigapanos or something. You know not all of us here in Canada are dumb. Maybe Hockey fans but not dumb and by the way we are all proud of how well all our athletes.

I didn't mean to imply that you (or Canadians in general) are dumb. I enjoyed the Winter (or should that be Spring) Olympics too. The Gold Medal hockey game was very exciting and I know little about hockey.
I guess you have the benefit of having a unit in your hands and the software running it.

I do, yes.
Unfortunately I don't and my concern is more to the control of the unit. As I said before I can fire my camera via the RF. I need to know if this unit can actually rotate to 60-stop, 120-stop, 180-stop, 240-stop, 300-stop, 360-stop and tilt accurately via the controller

You cannot do this with any precision and consistency using the hand controller AFAIK.
or do I absolutely have to use the Papywizard to operate it.

If you want programmable precision control on one or two axes then you would need Papywizard - which is of course free. (if you only need 6-around rotation on the horizontal axis then there are many alternative solutions to Merlin/Orion+Papywizard).

And you can get a very good impression of what the Papywizard does and how to set it up and so on by running the software in simulation mode - you do not need a head to run the software.

You can download it from here:
http://www.papywizard.org/
http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/Download

If it's fully automatic using the bluetooth and software then that's a bonus I can learn to use later but I don't need the unit to fire my camera right now.

If you use Papywizard to control head movements you may as well also use it to automate control of the shutter. You could use Papywizard merely to control head movement and manually trigger the shutter but that seems rather clumsy to me.

That's the beast, yes.
Regarding your B**ll**ck's comment. I can only go by what different dealers are saying and skywatcher themselves. Here are some links that were given on this forum.

http://www.skywatcherusa.com/multifunction-mount-s21300.html
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=439-277-12772&kw=&st=0
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sky-watcher-multi-function-mount-with-tripod.html

AFAIK we have heard from people in N. America who have recently managed to find suppliers of the non-goto model. I believe it is available bundled with a telescope these days.
Re the mast I never said I was going to be cheap when it came to a mast. I was just reflecting on the other persons comment which seemed like leading me more to an RC solution.

Perhaps I misunderstood - I had the impression that this was probably a one-off opportunity/requirement for aerial pano photography. If that's the case then I presume you won't want to make a huge upfront investment in equipment and in acquiring expertise; that's why I suggested that sub-contracting might be a better solution.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the help. Well it looks like going the auto-route is best and will make the investment in time and equipment. I downloaded the software and going to start to play with it. I wish I didn't have to buy the extra piece considering the added cost to the orion. I wish I knew where other people in the US or Canada bought one.

Robert
Robert

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 pm

Where they buy the Merlin ?

Have a look here in the FAQ's:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ#Where_to_buy_Merlin_.3F

Official distributor Sky-Watcher in Canada:

Canada: Pacific Telescope Corp.
Please forward your location (city and province) to Customer@skywatchertelescope.net
Last edited by claudevh on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 am

rbudnikas wrote:Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the help. Well it looks like going the auto-route is best and will make the investment in time and equipment. I downloaded the software and going to start to play with it. I wish I didn't have to buy the extra piece considering the added cost to the orion. I wish I knew where other people in the US or Canada bought one.

Robert

Here you go - I knew there had been a post about it recently:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t8384-recommended-orion-or-skywatcher-head-discontinued-usa-where-to-buy
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 am

Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye

no avatar
jeongyun

Info

by jeongyun » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 am

Call and ask them before you actually order on-line. When I tried them in December, they didn't have it in stock.
Apparently, it was not their regular stock item.

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 am

Thanks Guys,

I've tried them. Spoke to the owner. They don't have it and said they can't get it. I'll try the US and see if I can get it.

Regards,

Robert
Robert

no avatar
jake.carvey

Info

by jake.carvey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 am

Here is where got ours - ordered and received 2 units within the past 2 months.

http://www.greatredspot.com/Sky-Watcher-%20MultiMount%2080%20Refractor.htm

To control the head we used BluSMiRF Bluetooth to serial http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=158 , and a cheap nokia auto phone charger to condition the power from 12v to 5v. There are instructions and examples listed on the papywizard page, or you can order the unit from claude. I have built 2 of these now, and I am happy about it.

http://www.autopano.net/forum/t8319-pics-of-bluetooth-smirf-homebuilt-merlin-orion-starwatcher-dongle
http://gigapans.blogspot.com/
http://www.brewzone.com/2008/11/diy-pano-head

My business partner DID run into some issues shooting on top of a massive skyscraper in Singapore, where its seems there is a lot of interference which might have affected the Bluetooth communications - that is unconfirmed, however - I wasnt there to troubleshoot in person.

I am currently trying to sort out a USB > Serial wired solution for emergency cases such as these.

jake

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:30 am

Hello Jake... and others,

For USB to TTL, you can order a TTL-232R-5V

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip?productID=49&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=47

For the wiring: see the attached pictures ...

1. Don't forget the 2 resistors (220 Ohms)
2. Do NOT connect the V+(VDD) from the Merlin, you can cut the wire and put isolation round the end of the cable !!!
(The TTL-232R-5V take his power from the PC !!!)

The 5 Volts model is "MANDATORY" !

Last edited by claudevh on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jake.carvey

Info

by jake.carvey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am

claudevh wrote:Hello Jake,

For USB to TTL, you can order a TTL-232R-5V

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip?productID=49&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=47

For the wiring: see the attached pictures ...

1. Don't forget the 2 resistors (220 Ohms)
2. Do NOT connect the V+(VDD) from the Merlin, you can cut the wire and put isolation round the end of the cable !!!
(The TTL-232R-5V take his power from the PC !!!)

The 5 Volts model is "MANDATORY" !

Thanks claude - just this minute i solved the problem.

In Papywizard > Hardware > Plugins > Drivers > Serial port, i was trying to set the comp port number "2", but Papywizard needs it spelled out as such: "COM2".

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

That's computer "logic" :lol:

"Serial com port 1" is "COM1" or "0"
"Serial com port 2" is "COM2" or "1"

I use allways COM1, COM2, COM3 ... :P

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to give you an update to the ordering issues I've had to bring a Skywatcher into Canada. I'm finally getting a BackPacker 80AR-AZ MM (S11300) which is a replacement kit for the S21300 and has a camera port on it. The kits comes with an 80mm Telescope which is nice to have.

The big issue that we were having was with the Canadian Distributor who had an no compete clause in their agreement with other distributors. Basically it would prevent other distributors around the world from shipping into Canada. Makes sense. Problem with that is that for some reason they won't be carrying the product and is recommending the Orion goto version.

The saying the customer is always right worked in my case. I got on the phone with Skywatcher USA and although they wouldn't be able to ship a product to Canada I was able to get a unit shipped and get around that clause.

Honestly don't know if I would have been able to get a unit from a Skywatcher dealer but the couple I called said they had units on order and couldn't get anything. One in particular said they have been waiting since January. I think it is a case of lack of communication since Skywatcher USA has a bunch of these. Moral of the story, go directly to Skywatcher USA. If you have problems as their main sales people are instructed not to ship to Canada speak to one of their managers.

In any case thanks to Andrew for pushing me to seek it out. I am getting the right one. Hopefully be here by early next week.

Also I've tried the software in simulation mode and I am excited to see it working in action.

One question about cabling. Serial connections have the ability to go 1000 feet. since I am only going to be between 35-45 feet should I be confident using the instructions in this thread to run a cable from USB to the RJ jack. My camera will be tethered anyway. Just looking to save on the bluetooth ursa minor.

Thanks

Robert
Robert

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Hello Robert,

Happy for you that you have the possibility to get a head into Canada !
For the wired connection, please refer to my previous post for the wiring:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p59636-yesterday-09-30-14#p59636
and to the post of Jake for a "cheap" solution:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p59648-yesterday-10-39-02#p59648

Just one thing you have to consider ... This is not a "serial" connection but wel a "5 V TTL connection" and you will probably should use "USB repeter cables" every 5 meters (+/- 16 feets), you can find those cables everywere ...
(16FT 5M ACTIVE USB 2.0 A-A F/M EXTENSION REPEATER CABLE on Ebay +/- 10 US $)

The Merlin model you have buy is the right one and has the right firmware version.
You have just know how to connect your camera, have a look into the FAQ's here:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ#Do-I_need_a_.22cable.2Fconnector.22_to_connect_my_camera_to_the_Merlin_head_.3F

Good luck ;)
Last edited by claudevh on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi Claude,

Thanks for the information. I've ordered the Hahnel Trigger Cable for my Sony. Sorry, yes ttl which is limited in distance so I will look at those repeaters.

Robert
Robert

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:15 am

rbudnikas wrote:The big issue that we were having was with the Canadian Distributor who had an no compete clause in their agreement with other distributors. Basically it would prevent other distributors around the world from shipping into Canada. Makes sense.

These sort of agreements seem quite anachronistic and archaic in our globalised world.

Maybe manufacturers will finally (be forced to) wake up (and grow up?) and realise that customers should benefit from globalisation as much as manufacturers. They will locate manufacturing where it most suits them so why should we not buy from where most suits us?

Some digital camera manufacturers will honour warrantees globally but Nikon, for instance, still clings to only honouring warrantees of 'official' national product - it's pathetic.

Anyway I'm glad your persistence paid off and you managed finally to get what you wanted.
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 am

rbudnikas wrote:Just looking to save on the bluetooth ursa minor.

Thanks

Robert

Then I recommend the Deltaware PapyMerlin Bluetooth adapter from Claude:
http://www.papymerlin.com/interface-%C3%A9lectronique/
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I received my Head Unit from Skywatcher today and with all my excitment I am trying to get it working. Thanks to Claude I received my Bluetooth module and my N800 sees the unit but when I try to connect it via papywizard I get an error "Connection Failed to Start". I'm using version 2.1.16 on the N800. I also tried using my usb to ttl cable that I made using the MDFly configuration from my laptop and tried various com ports an nothing it just hangs.

The hand controller works on the head unit.

Thanks for

Here is my log from the N800
Code: Select all
2010-03-30 15:29:37,189::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/driver/driverFactory.py", line 92, in create
    from serialDriver import SerialDriver
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/driver/serialDriver.py", line 54, in <module>
    import serial
ImportError: No module named serial
2010-03-30 15:29:37,218::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/driver/driverFactory.py", line 92, in create
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/driver/serialDriver.py", line 54, in <module>
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:29:37,250::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial

2010-03-30 15:29:49,714::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:29:49,765::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:29:49,817::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial

2010-03-30 15:31:57,543::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:31:57,572::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:31:57,605::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial

2010-03-30 15:32:36,422::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:32:36,470::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:32:36,522::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial

2010-03-30 15:32:40,125::Main::INFO::Starting connection. Please wait...
2010-03-30 15:32:40,390::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:32:40,405::Main::EXCEPTION::PluginsConnector.connectPlugins()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/pluginsConnector.py", line 82, in start
    plugin.establishConnection()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/abstractHardwarePlugin.py", line 85, in establishConnection
    self._driver.establishConnection(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/abstractHardwarePlugin.py", line 68, in __getDriver
    return DriverFactory().get(self._config['DRIVER_TYPE'])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/driver/driverFactory.py", line 110, in create
    raise HardwareError(unicode(msg))
HardwareError: No module named serial
2010-03-30 15:32:40,432::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:32:40,447::Main::EXCEPTION::PluginsConnector.connectPlugins()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/pluginsConnector.py", line 100, in start
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/abstractHardwarePlugin.py", line 85, in establishConnection
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/abstractHardwarePlugin.py", line 68, in __getDriver
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/driver/driverFactory.py", line 110, in create
2010-03-30 15:32:40,473::Main::EXCEPTION::DriverFactory.create()
    import serial
2010-03-30 15:32:40,489::Main::EXCEPTION::PluginsConnector.connectPlugins()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/plugins/pluginsConnector.py", line 119, in start
2010-03-30 15:32:40,505::Main::ERROR::Connection failed to start

Log from Laptop hardwired via MDFly.
Code: Select all
2010-03-30 15:47:54,829::MainThread::TRACE::AbstractModalDialogController._onRejected()
2010-03-30 15:47:56,108::MainThread::TRACE::MainController.__onConfigPushButtonClicked()
2010-03-30 15:47:56,217::MainThread::DEBUG::ConfigController.__onCameraOrientationComboBoxCurrentIndexChanged(): orientation=portrait
2010-03-30 15:47:56,220::MainThread::DEBUG::ConfigController.__onLensTypeComboBoxCurrentIndexChanged(): type=fisheye
2010-03-30 15:47:56,220::MainThread::DEBUG::ConfigController.__onLensTypeComboBoxCurrentIndexChanged(): lens type set to 'fisheye'
2010-03-30 15:47:56,220::MainThread::DEBUG::ConfigController.__onDriverComboBoxCurrentIndexChanged(): driver=serial

2010-03-30 15:48:07,378::MainThread::TRACE::ConfigController._onAccepted()
2010-03-30 15:48:07,384::MainThread::INFO::Configuration saved
2010-03-30 15:48:09,842::MainThread::INFO::Connecting to real hardware...
2010-03-30 15:48:10,229::Dummy-4::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmdTraceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 236, in _sendCmd  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 114, in sendCmdIOError: Timeout while reading on serial bus
2010-03-30 15:48:10,229::Dummy-4::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2010-03-30 15:48:10,430::Dummy-4::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmdTraceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 236, in _sendCmd  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 114, in sendCmdIOError: Timeout while reading on serial bus
2010-03-30 15:48:10,430::Dummy-4::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2010-03-30 15:48:10,632::Dummy-4::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmdTraceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 236, in _sendCmd  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 114, in sendCmdIOError: Timeout while reading on serial bus
2010-03-30 15:48:10,632::Dummy-4::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2010-03-30 15:48:10,634::Dummy-4::EXCEPTION::Shooting.switchToRealHardware()Traceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\model\shooting.pyo", line 378, in switchToRealHardware  File "papywizard\hardware\head.pyo", line 90, in init  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 252, in init  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 243, in _sendCmdHardwareError: Axis 1 can't send command
2010-03-30 15:48:10,707::MainThread::ERROR::Can't connect to hardwareAxis 1 can't send command
2010-03-30 15:48:11,897::MainThread::INFO::Go to simulation mode
2010-03-30 15:48:12,101::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmdTraceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 236, in _sendCmd  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 114, in sendCmdIOError: Timeout while reading on serial bus
2010-03-30 15:48:12,101::MainThread::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2010-03-30 15:48:12,302::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmdTraceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 236, in _sendCmd  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 114, in sendCmdIOError: Timeout while reading on serial bus
2010-03-30 15:48:12,302::MainThread::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2010-03-30 15:48:12,505::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmdTraceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 236, in _sendCmd  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 114, in sendCmdIOError: Timeout while reading on serial bus
2010-03-30 15:48:12,505::MainThread::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2010-03-30 15:48:12,506::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Shooting.switchToSimulatedHardware()Traceback (most recent call last):  File "papywizard\model\shooting.pyo", line 391, in switchToSimulatedHardware  File "papywizard\hardware\head.pyo", line 106, in shutdown  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 372, in stop  File "papywizard\hardware\axis.pyo", line 243, in _sendCmdHardwareError: Axis 1 can't send command
Robert

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

This is because your are using the serial driver, instead of the bluetooth one.

On the Nokia, you can't use the serial driver at all; on your PC, it is possible, but you first have to pair your BT interface, then give Papywizard the correct pseudo-serial port (could be COM4 or other value).

But it both cases, it is better to use teh bluetooth driver.
Frédéric

no avatar
rbudnikas

Topic author
Info

by rbudnikas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Hello Frederic,

Thanks for the quick response. I managed to get it working using version 2.0.0 on both the N800 and Windows. In the other version Bluetooth is set by default and when I used the chooser to I could select the papymerlin BT. Will have to play around with it. Also have to figure out why the hardwire connection didn't work on 2.0.0. Kind of unsure of the com port to set for that. I've tried everthing up to 7.

I'm very excited though. Getting closer.

Robert
Robert

Next