no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Merlin on a 15 metre mast

by mediavets » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Photosbykev

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by Photosbykev » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Love the different perspective this shooting angle gives

Bluetooth range is approx 10m, with a 15m mast the guy must be holding the Nokia over his head :)

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Photosbykev wrote:Love the different perspective this shooting angle gives

Bluetooth range is approx 10m, with a 15m mast the guy must be holding the Nokia over his head :)

I've tested and achieved much greater line of sight BT range than that - at least 30m, as from from the head that I could go and still visually detect movement.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Photosbykev

Info

by Photosbykev » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 pm

mediavets wrote:
Photosbykev wrote:Love the different perspective this shooting angle gives

I've tested and achieved much greater line of sight BT range than that - at least 30m, as from from the head that I could go and still visually detect movement.

Interesting to know mediavets, not that I'm likely to start using a mast anytime soon :)

claudevh

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by claudevh » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Hello Kev,

Those photos have been taken by "valery44" (see our users database) with a Merlin on top of the 15 meters Mast.
The connection was made by a "PapyMerlin" BT module between a Nokia N810 and the Merlin...
This setting allow +/- 30 meters distance so this was not a problem (This "practical" distance has been measured by "mediavets" with a Tronisoft module, class1, and is confirmed by myselve for the "PapyMerlin")
The "PapyMerlin" BT module is a BT class 1 able to reach +/- 100 meters, but you should never forget that you have 2 partners in a BT connection ... and the Nokia has some limitations (Class 2)

Valery is only on his beginning for "Pôle panoramic photography" (semi-arial) and for a begin this is really a "master piece" !!!
I wish him more pics like this one ...

Cheers
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
Photosbykev

Info

by Photosbykev » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:19 pm

claudevh wrote:Hello Kev,

Those photos have been taken by "valery44" (see our users database) with a Merlin on top of the 15 meters Mast.
The connection was made by a "PapyMerlin" BT module between a Nokia N810 and the Merlin...
This setting allow +/- 30 meters distance so this was not a problem (This "practical" distance has been measured by "mediavets" with a Tronisoft module, class1, and is confirmed by myselve for the "PapyMerlin")
The "PapyMerlin" BT module is a BT class 1 able to reach +/- 100 meters, but you should never forget that you have 2 partners in a BT connection ... and the Nokia has some limitations (Class 2)

Valery is only on his beginning for "Pôle panoramic photography" (semi-arial) and for a begin this is really a "master piece" !!!
I wish him more pics like this one ...

Cheers

Thank you Claude, trying to use such a mast in the UK is very likely to be frowned on. I've no doubt a license or authorisation would be required or it breaches some stupid law lol. Probably it would need 'planning' permission from the local council :rolleyes:
Last edited by Photosbykev on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 am

Photosbykev wrote:... trying to use such a mast in the UK is very likely to be frowned on.

I don't believe that there is anything against using a mast, well there certainly wasn't here in East Sussex, as I used to own and run a pole photography company before selling it on and all that was required of ourselves was £3 million Public Liabiltiy insurance which we (proudly) never used. Always drew great interest when we were on site and had the masts raised. Even got a few commissions out of it from the general public just walking by and wanting then to have their house photgraphed from 18 meters aboe.

Regularly I was using an 18 meter mast and occassionally a 25 meter mast for the assignments, all vehicle mounted and used a tethered USB system to control a 360 horizonal/45 vertical head atop of our masts. New heads coming onto the market allow 360/360/360 movement and all three axis - really cool stuff using radio control.

Difficulty was having a "live" feed to see what you were shooting and being able to remotely control the camera. USB cable tethered using USB relays was the only way at the time using Breeze software for controlling Canon cameras. There was some use of using video transmitter/receivers that were plugged in to the camera and relayed to a base screen so that you had visual.

Interesting using a Merlin as it is quite a weight to lift 15 meters vertically, let alone safely operate at that height. The slightest breeze will cause the pole to sway. The head and P&S camera set up I was using weighed around 1kg > 1.3kg; the lighter the better with regards to being safe. The Merlin unit plus DSLR is going to be some weight to lift and hold aloft.
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
jackLFLB

Liked in: 8 posts
Info

by jackLFLB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:02 pm

The link Andrew gives shows really astonishing work!!!! Great!!!!

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm

jackLFLB wrote:The link Andrew gives shows really astonishing work!!!! Great!!!!

It seems you only need to have 2,600 Euros burning a hole in your pocket (for the mast) - and good insurance! - to be able to do the same.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
valery44

Info

by valery44 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Hello guys,

no problem of bluetooth connection with the mast 15 meters with merlin head ( controled from Nokia N810) this is more useful than a dangerous usb cable in the wind.. I have tested from 25 meters, it's work always well.

here is an ither exemple, taken at 10 meters hight, you can see the hole in the nadir with the merlin:
http://www.vjoncheray.fr/panoramique/exemple/samoa/parking-2/index.html

no avatar
Photosbykev

Info

by Photosbykev » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:02 pm

mediavets wrote:
jackLFLB wrote:The link Andrew gives shows really astonishing work!!!! Great!!!!

It seems you only need to have 2,600 Euros burning a hole in your pocket (for the mast) - and good insurance! - to be able to do the same.

and ideally a van to mount it all in :) I carry about 70lbs of camera gear with me when I'm out photographing wildlife, not sure I could get much more on my back lol

jealous me? damn right I am lol
Last edited by Photosbykev on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jackLFLB

Liked in: 8 posts
Info

by jackLFLB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:34 pm

mediavets wrote:

Yes, of course each need I have is not so much, separately, but each one at a time...
I have to learn before spending money. I have a question about these astonishing panos who seem to be in a state of levitation in the air: How is it possible to take the picture of the nadir from the top of the mast, without seeing it?

no avatar
pns

Info

by pns » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm

so, it seems you need more than "2,600 Euros burning a hole in your pocket (for the mast) - and good insurance! - to be able to do the same". it is always good to see knowledge appreciated over money, even if belatedly. ;)
cheers,
pns

jackLFLB wrote:
mediavets wrote:

I have to learn before spending money. I have a question about these astonishing panos who seem to be in a state of levitation in the air: How is it possible to take the picture of the nadir from the top of the mast, without seeing it?
Last edited by pns on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm

jackLFLB wrote:How is it possible to take the picture of the nadir from the top of the mast, without seeing it?

The way that I used to do these was to take an upward facing shot from the base of the mast once it had been taken down. The upward nadir image was then patched within PhotoShop as you would normally do now.
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 pm

UK Pano wrote:
jackLFLB wrote:How is it possible to take the picture of the nadir from the top of the mast, without seeing it?

The way that I used to do these was to take an upward facing shot from the base of the mast once it had been taken down. The upward nadir image was then patched within PhotoShop as you would normally do now.

'upward nadir image'???????

Errr...isn't that a zenith image?
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Hey Andrew!

That´s a great one . . . .

Some time ago i already thought about nagging away 1,5cm of the Merlin´s base on one side. The footprint would be much smaller then.
This mast reminds me of that idea . . .
The huge base is the Merlin´s only problem - cause the speed is remarkably faster using Josef´s controller.

I´m going to buy a Canon 5DMkII - so i also think about a fisheye for it. Maybe the 16mm Nikon FE - it covers a fullframe very well.
Gona try it at the weekend.

Thank you for the link!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 pm

klausesser wrote:The huge base is the Merlin´s only problem - cause the speed is remarkably faster using Josef´s controller.

That suggests that Frederic might be able to make things go faster with Papywizard?

I´m going to buy a Canon 5DMkII - so i also think about a fisheye for it. Maybe the 16mm Nikon FE - it covers a fullframe very well.

Why not the Canon 15mm fullframe FE? - that seems to be well thought of.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:The huge base is the Merlin´s only problem - cause the speed is remarkably faster using Josef´s controller.

That suggests that Frederic might be able to make things go faster with Papywizard?

No, because it requires a real-time OS. I tried long time ago to do what Josef does with its controller, but it does not work (to be short, he first uses a manual move, check the position in real-time, and finally, make a goto move to be accurate. This is more or less what I do with the alternate drive, for moves <6°, but it does not work if I go faster - the alternate drive is faster than the short move, but still slower than a normal move).
Frédéric

no avatar
360pano

Info

by 360pano » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 am

klausesser wrote:I´m going to buy a Canon 5DMkII - so i also think about a fisheye for it. Maybe the 16mm Nikon FE - it covers a fullframe very well.

*Advertising on*
http://www.360pano.de/en/tokina-sigma-nikon.html
*Advertising off*

Grtz Tobias :rolleyes:

olihar

Info

by olihar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:38 am

Fantastic work.
Last edited by olihar on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 pm

fma38 wrote:
mediavets wrote:

No, because it requires a real-time OS. I tried long time ago to do what Josef does with its controller, but it does not work (to be short, he first uses a manual move, check the position in real-time, and finally, make a goto move to be accurate. This is more or less what I do with the alternate drive, for moves <6°, but it does not work if I go faster - the alternate drive is faster than the short move, but still slower than a normal move).

Yep - Josef´s working hard on a new head. It´s gonna be faster, stronger and more precise - and more expensive than the Merlin (not a surprise, is it).
And of course it will be also controllable by the great Wizard of Papy :cool:
You made this a really great application, Frédéric!
So i think PapyWizard is a good compagnon for Josef´s controller which provides the basis features and this it does comfortably simple.
Adding special features needs the Wizard - that´s a good strategy!

As i read you´re working on an extended bracketing via N8xx/900 tethered? I didn´t read it closely yet - but that would be very fine of course!! :cool:

best to you, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel