Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

problem starting papywizard on mac os-x

by Brian59 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:10 am

I have an imac 20 running mac 0sx-10.5.8. I downloaded papywizard and unzipped and dropped it into my applications folder. The first time it ran until I tried connecting to hardware. It froze saying "connecting to real hardware." Now it always freezes as it begins to open and says "connecting to real hardware." I tried downloading it again and reinstalling. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Perhaps a different version?
Onwards and Upwards
- merlin-orien mount, canon rebel dslr, imac 20 running osx-10.5.8, silex wireless networking device

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:36 am

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late answer ...
Anyway ...
Welcome on board ! :)

Could-you give us more informations : :D
- Where do-you live ?
- Type of BT module or Wired connection ?
- Type of Merlin head (GoTo or Non Goto), where do you have ordered ?
- Papywizard version ?

Could-you also read carefully the next post ?
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p48089-2009-07-04-18-14-56#p48089
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:07 am

Brian, you can turn off automatic connection at startup by editing the config file. This file is:

~/.config/papywizard2/papywizard.conf

(~ is your home directory).

The param is:

HARDWARE_AUTO_CONNECT = False
Frédéric

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:56 pm

claudevh wrote:Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late answer ...
Anyway ...
Welcome on board ! :)

Could-you give us more informations : :D
- Where do-you live ?
- Type of BT module or Wired connection ?
- Type of Merlin head (GoTo or Non Goto), where do you have ordered ?
- Papywizard version ?

Could-you also read carefully the next post ?
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p48089-2009-07-04-18-14-56#p48089

Thanks for your warm welcome and the help you've offered thus far. I'll have papy opening at least without freezeup. I'm running version 2.0.0 for the Mac world.

where am I? When I'm not orbiting in space I live in Fall River, Massachusetts, US ... not far from Providence and Boston on the east coast.

I'm using Chris Blake's equipment as we work on developing his business at www.aerialvr.com. He participates in this forum. Perhaps the only difference is that I'd like to bring my imac20 on the road with me for the whole wireless silex papy merlin thing and also to display and store photos I've taken.

which head? .... We have the Merlin head but I don't know which one it is. I didn't know there was more than one! If Chris has answered this question then that's the one!

We're using a Silex networking device for wireless connection. It's the sx-2000wg and here's a link to a page about it.: http://www.silexamerica.com/products/usb_device_connectivity/sx-2000wg.html.

We use this head mostly for wireless and remote positioning since we've been putting the canon rebel 40' in the air on a large tripod. We've also started taking hi rez mosaics using the merlin papy combination.
Onwards and Upwards
- merlin-orien mount, canon rebel dslr, imac 20 running osx-10.5.8, silex wireless networking device

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:20 pm

fma38 wrote:Brian, you can turn off automatic connection at startup by editing the config file. This file is:

The param is:

I looked for the config folder and didn't find it. I'm new to the mac myself. As far as I can tell, all I have on my computer are three files related to papy wizard. They appear in my applications folder. One is the application. The second is the zip file I downloaded from the papywizard site. The other is a log file which (I think) documents everything and every error message I've gotten thus far.

Is there a "mac translation" for editing the config file?

Regards,
Brian
Onwards and Upwards

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:27 am

so fma38 ... high and dry it is you are leaving me? haute et sec et sans esperance?

I read the post carefully and was unable to apply as I'm not using a blue tooth connection. Can I somehow apply it to my silex?

I also can't reconfigure papy since there is apparently no config file created on the imac as there is on the pc. Since I can't reconfigure papy, papy won't open. papy wants real hardware. I want to smack papy. Me...e Alors! Zut even. Please advise. :)
Onwards and Upwards

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:46 am

fma38 wrote:Brian, you can turn off automatic connection at startup by editing the config file. This file is:

The param is:

hi Frédéric!

That´s what i see - and that´s all . . . no way to proceed. I have to kill the task to get out of it.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Brian59,

I have no Mac, but Papywizard create a papywizard.conf otherways, he can't work ... ;)
Could-you please "unhide" all folders and files then launch a search on "papywizard.conf" ... you MUST find it !!! :)

You can also contact directly by Email your "american colleages" who use Mac also:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/profile.php?id=2363
http://www.autopano.net/forum/profile.php?id=2509
http://www.autopano.net/forum/profile.php?id=2955
http://www.autopano.net/forum/profile.php?id=2256
Last edited by claudevh on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 am

@Brian, as Claude said, there IS a config file. But you may not be able to see it from your MacOS file browser, as it hides some dirs (starting with a dot). So, open the Terminal, and launch the following command:

$ cd .config/papywizard2
$ /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit papywizard.conf

Then modify the file, save it, quit TextEdit, and launch Papywizard.

@Klaus, did you change the HARDWARE_AUTO_CONNECT param in your config file?
Frédéric

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I was able to edit the file as you directed without any problem. Papywizard now opens without "looking for real hardware." Now I'll try to apply the information in that post about connecting to a bluetooth device. I'm not using bluetooth but a sort of wireless usb port. merci
Onwards and Upwards

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Good! Feel free to ask if you have other problems...
Frédéric

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 am

fma38 wrote:@Klaus, did you change the HARDWARE_AUTO_CONNECT param in your config file?

Hi Frédéric!

I can´t reach any settings so i can´t change the configs. What "config file" do you mean?

best, Klaus

do you mean "papywizard.conf"? I didn´t touch it:
"# Auto-connect at startup (bool)
HARDWARE_AUTO_CONNECT = False"

I´m on Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on a MacBookPro 17" - kernel is set to 64bit.
"Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 10.0.0
Startvolume: Macintosh HD
Startmodus: Normal
Gerà¤tename: G5
Benutzername: Klaus Esser (klKlausauseser)
Sicherer virtueller Speicher: Nicht aktiviert
64-Bit-Kernel and -Erweiterungen: Ja
Zeit seit dem Start: 1:42"

(Machine-name "G5" comes from my old Mac)
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:06 am

If you switched the Auto-connect param from Papywizard, it will be changed in the file.

Did you check the correct papywizard.conf file? This is the one from your home directory, not from the application directory. something like:

/users/klaus/.config/papywizard2/papywizard.conf

If the auto-connection is not the issue, then it might be a MacOS 10.6 incompatibility...
Frédéric

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm able to open papywizard without errors but still cannot "connect to hardware" without freezeup. I tried to apply the information in the post about connecting the mac and bluetooth devices but was unable. All I could think to try was to enter configure hardware tab. I have driver set to serial. I then experimented with the "serial port number" ... setting it to 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7. Do you have any suggestion? Am I supposed to have installed a plugin?
Onwards and Upwards

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Brian, did you read this thread: http://www.autopano.net/forum/p48089-2009-07-04-18-14-56#p48089

You must pair the bluetooth device from MacOS tools, and then give to Papywizard the complete path to the pseudo-serial port entry...
Frédéric

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Hello Brian,

I think that we can't adress your problems because we don't know your hardware configuration...
I will try to expalin what I understand of your configuration :

1. You have a IMac (OS 10.5.8)
2. This Imac is equiped with a internal WiFi device
3. You have a Silex sx-2000wg , this device is a WiFi to USB device server, this device take his electrical suply from ????? .
4. The Imac running Papywizard communicate trough a Wifi connection via the Silex ?????
5. The Silex communicate the orders of Papywizard to the Merlin trough USB ?????
6. How is the Merlin connected ????
7. There is no Bluetooth in this configuration ????

You understand that I don't wel understand !

Could-you please answer the ???? left in the text ?

Thank-you
Last edited by claudevh on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
120to120

Info

by 120to120 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:38 am

Hi all,
sorry no englisch, ersuche um àœbersetzung!

hatte jetzt selbst wieder tagelang den Kampf mit Bluetooth/MacBook os x 10.5.8 und Merlin/BT Austria

Hab das Problem gelà¶st, alles OK!

1.) BT am MacBook deaktiviert
2.) PW 2.0.0 installiert, PW/Einstellungen/Hardware/Serial/ "no Auto-Verbindung!!!!!!!"

3.) BT-Dongle for (Mac!!!!) € 12,-- am MacBook installiert
4.) Merlin Head "no Batterie, no BT" (Batterie und z.B.:BT-Austria entfernen)
5.) Merlin Head "Batterie und BT" verbinden
6.) Merlin "on" rote Led-Taste "drücken" === speed Led!
7.) MacBook und BT config "verbinden"

8.) "jetzt erst PW à¶ffnen"
9.) jetzt erst /Hardware/ "manuell verbinden" "und alles ist OK!!!"

Dies ist meine Vorgangsweise, und funktioniert prima.

Vielleicht hilft das ja dem einen oder anderen bei diesem Problem!

Viel Spass mit Merlin und Mac.
Last edited by 120to120 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
(*Merlin/Orion_BT - teleskop-austria.*); FTDI USB-TTL cable; Macbook (Intel) OS X10.5.6 / ext. Bluetooth Dongle_VIVANCO_B1002270209 / PW 2.1.20; Go-To / TA *Nokia N810 / PW 2.1.20 * Sony F717 / Sony R1 ; JJC SR-828; 15m Mast;

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Hello Frederic and Claude,

1. You have a IMac (OS 10.5.8)

yes, that's correct

2. This Imac is equiped with a internal WiFi device

Yes, that's correct

3. You have a Silex sx-2000wg , this device is a WiFi to USB device server, this device take his electrical suply from ????? .

Yes, that's correct. As I understand it, there are two ways to use this device. There's a fairly standard method which allows one to connect any usb device as a device on a wireless device on a network. We're using it in the second way .... a sort of computer to computer connection that doesn't require a wireless router. It has been configured to do this. We mounted this device on the side of our Merlin Orion and powered it with 8 nickel metal hydride AA batteries in series, then regulated down to 5 volts. We've had some trouble with this arrangment as power regulators have failed but now seem to have a good regulator. It now stays connected to the wifi cards in our computers for over 3 hours at a time on one charge!

When we connect to our camera and to Merlin Orion we must first connect in the OS networking window. Then we open a Silex window and the camera and the Merlin Orion appear and we connect to them individuallly. I should clarify.... it's not actually the Merlin-Orion which appears but a small inline device that somehow converts the signals from the usb port to TTL logic that the keypad uses. It's something that my partner Chris Blake came up with .... I think he found it on this forum no? I'm sorry as we're both mechanical engineer types and are limited in our ability to describe the electronics involved.

4. The Imac running Papywizard communicate trough a Wifi connection via the Silex ?????

yes .... except that it's peer to peer or computer to computer.... there's no router involved.

5. The Silex communicate the orders of Papywizard to the Merlin trough USB ?????

yes .... with this usb to ttl converter thing.

6. How is the Merlin connected ????

we connect where the rj25 6 conductor keypad jack plugs in.

7. There is no Bluetooth in this configuration ????

yes ... we're not using bluetooth. I don't know why Chris Blake made this choice. I thought perhaps it was because he wanted to connect 2 devices at once ... his canon camera though dslr remote and the merlin orion through papy wizard. If there's more you need to know then I can get Chris to participate on this thread. He's been talking to the technician at Silex to configure the Silex and his windows laptop pc. His laptop connects. My imac won't.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post. I hope it helps. I did read the other post you mentioned but it seemed not to apply to us as it assumes blue tooth connection.
Onwards and Upwards

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Hello Brian,

yes .... with this usb to ttl converter thing

The thing in question is a "FTDI USB to TTL" ;)
This FTDI shoul be connected as a "virtual serial port" ... :D
Helas I have no Mac, but you should find the VIRTUAL SERIAL PORT who is attributed to the USB of your Silex dedicated to the Merlin (not the USB for the camera) and write it in the Plugins / Pilot / Serial port of Papywizard.
Probably you can find it by clicking the "small inline device" you describe herafter and find his caracteristics :
it's not actually the Merlin-Orion which appears but a small inline device that somehow converts the signals from the usb port to TTL logic that the keypad uses

Once done you can connect ... normally :lol:

Have fun

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Brian, I now understand your setup!

So, you have to use the serial driver in Papywizard. But you should first use your USB-TTL converter without the Silex. Try to find which pseudo-serial entry it provides (somthing like /dev/tty-xxx). Once Papywizard is working this way (is it the case?), you can add the Silex.
Frédéric

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:52 pm

But you should first use your USB-TTL converter without the Silex

Yes good idea, just make the "direct" connection between your Mac (USB side) and the Merlin(RJ25) (no Silex in the line)
Later when you all the stuff working, you can enventually pick-up the VCC for your Silex from the Merlin (12 Volts cc to be converted to 5 Vcc) or from an external battery like this one (or equivalent):
http://www.solariflex.com/20-batterie-externe-universelle-50w-mp3450.html

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 pm

"Try to find which pseudo-serial entry it provides (somthing like /dev/tty-xxx)"

is that a command that I execute in the terminal window? I've been told by apple care techs to use terminal very carefully as I'm not a programmer and can make my OS inoperable. I've used it once successfully already. I'd do it again but "something like" makes me a bit nervous.
Onwards and Upwards

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:42 pm

It seems that my longer earlier post didn't post. I'll summarize .... I tried to connect both camera and ttl device directly to mac usb. The camera connected (I only knew because dslr remote functioned and operated camera). The usb ttl device didn't seem to function as papywizard still did not connect to merlin orion. I connected to canon and ttl device through silex. I looked at properties of ttl device and saw an ip address and an ethernet address listed. (Does that help?) I hesitate to use terminal without exact instructions. What does "something like /dev/tty-xxx" mean. Am I to type that into terminal?
Onwards and Upwards

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:44 pm

one more question or observation ... my version of papywizard doesn't have a "plugins" menu selection under the hardware menu. Is there one? How do I access it?
Onwards and Upwards

no avatar
Brian59

Topic author
Info

by Brian59 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:22 pm

I've found a list of commands for use in terminal to detect and configure new ports ....

$ sudo networksetup -detectnewhardware

this one detects and also configures new hardware ports (I am so out of my depth here) Should I use something like this to find this pseudo serial port on my mac?
Onwards and Upwards

Next