Everything you need to motorize your head
fma38

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

[Papywizard2] DSLR Remote Pro plugin

by fma38 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Hello folks,

A couple of days ago, I asked Breeze Systems if they could send me a DSLR Remote Pro license, so I could develop a good Papywizard plugin. Chris sent it to me this morning, thanks to him :)

So, it is time to review all the tests you have done some months ago, using the old shoot.py script.

irpano, ozbigben, could you tell me what modes, params, GUI, should be implemented in this plugin? I will soon install the software and try to play with it, but if you have ideas or already working things...

If some features are missing (like I suppose, reading the old posts), I will ask Chris to see what could be done...
Frédéric

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Just for the records (I removed all the posts related to my Canon troubleshooting), DSLR Remote Pro needs the Canon WIA driver to be installed for old cameras (10D, 20D).

I made some tests, and it works as expected. But I can't change more than +-2EV on my 20D from DSLR Remote Pro for the exposure bias, like from the camera. I know it is possible to go up to +-5EV, because I found the way to do it from gphoto (it has been added to the main branch).

The other thing I will need to write a nice plugin will be the ability to retreive the exposure bias list, because, as already explained by irpano and ozbigben, the -x param get an index, and not a bias value... I will quickly contact Chris to see what he can do. For now, the user will just have to give this list, as seen in the DSLR Remote Pro GUI.

Stay tuned.
Frédéric

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:17 am

About the list for the exposure compensation, could you tell me what you get for you different cameras, and for different settings (0.3EV step, or 0.5EV step...)?
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by irpano » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:29 pm

fma38, sorry that i cant be with you for the next couple of weeks, as i will be out of internet connection. Hope others can contribute

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:55 am

No problem; I will start writing something so we can discuss on something.
Frédéric

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:51 am

According to Chris, it is not possible to automatically retreive the exposure compensation table (the dll is not designed for that). So, the user will have to choose wich table to use; 6 are available, depending on the camera:

±5@1/3 ev
±5@1/2 ev
±3@1/3 ev
±3@1/2 ev
±2@1/3 ev
±2@1/2 ev

But I'm wondering something: using the number of bracketing nb picts and the bracketing steps params will only allow to bracket arround 0, which is not always usefull. So, I think I will instead ask for the exposure compensation values the user really want to use, like:

-3, -2 1/2, -1 1/2, None, +2

What do you think?
Frédéric

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 pm

I hope that I understand what you are asking and that I am not confusing this topic. Please let me know if I do not understand what you are trying to do.

Most of the bracketing devices such as the Panocam, Promote, Joergen's arduino device, have you set the center exposure, EV separation, and the number of brackets. The Panocam only uses the remote shutter connector and the BULB mode, while the Promote uses both the USB/ in camera controls and the BULB mode with the remote shutter connector.

The Nikon D700 allows you to use in camera EV separation of 0, 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, and 1 EV with 0,2,3,5, and 9 exposure brackets when you press the function key on the lens and grip side of the camera body and use the two dials accesible from the grip.

The newer Canon EOS cameras (30D and newer ) use the AEB to set 0 or three exposure brackets that are from 0 to 2 EV in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV increments depending upon the camera settings. You can manually set a biased exposure, or set it using the ISO button on the top and rotate the large dial on the back of the camera.

The Canon 1D Mark III places AEB in the custom functions menu.
Last edited by Castillonis on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:35 pm

What I propose is to allow the user to bracket on whatever values he wants, not just arround bias=0, with symetrical values. Here, you just enter the list of exposure compensation values, and Papywizard will call DSLR Remote Pro with these values...

With my 20D, I often bracket on -2, 0, +2, with a exposure bias of -1, so I get -3, -1, +1. With Papywizard + DSLR Remote Pro, you just give -3, -1, +1...
Frédéric

no avatar
AerialVr

Info

by AerialVr » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 pm

could you set the bracketing in dslr remote and have it return control back to papywizard when its done? iv been using the tethered plugin but you have to set a sleep time and thats a pain

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:46 pm

No, this is not possible now.
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

Info

by irpano » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:05 am

Fma38, Some comments and questions about this subject. - I like you have a canon camera (30D) and I currently use DSLR remote pro when bracketing shots. I use DSLR in manual mode so I can set middle exposure for each set of bracketed images. This is slow but can compensate for changes in exposure levels across a panoorama. (Its not uncommon ,in Australia,for a pano to have a 10+ exposure range ). So I believe that your idea of having the operator set, in papywizard, the +, 0, - exposures values etc -3, -1, 2 as being beneficial. My question about this method is - will DSLR remote be required to be running in the background, I take it that Papywizard will overwrite the settings of the camera and (this is probably a photographic question) how are you to determine the middle ecposure when setting the paramaters in papywizard.

Another comment: on other topics there was a suggestion on obtaining the best exposure by taking a sample of images across the pano before setting the camera. To continue this suggestion can a pre scan of the pano be done with Papywizard and an evaluation be made on the brightest exposure and the darkest to get the best middle point. eg brightest = +8, darkest = -4 so middle exposure would be +2
Just some thoughts

no avatar
Solaris

Info

by Solaris » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Running PSRemote from other
programs

Overview
PSRemote includes an interface library called PSRemoteLib.dll which can be used by other
applications to control PSRemote. Also included is a simple command line application called
PSRemoteTest.exe which can be used to control PSRemote from a command prompt or a batch file. For example a batch file could be written to take a series of photos using different apertures and shutter speeds to bracket the exposure.

PSRemoteLib.dll
PSRemoteLib.dll is a library that can be used by other programs to control PSRemote. It can be found in the PSRemoteTest folder where PSRemote is installed (usually C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote\PSRemoteTest). Please see the ReadMe.txt and PSRemoteLib.h files for details.

Files included in the PSRemoteTest directory:

PSRemoteTest.exe - compiled console application
interval_shooting.pl - example Perl script for time-lapse sequences

PSRemoteLib.dll - DLL used by PSRemoteTest.exe to interface with PSRemote
PSRemoteLib.lib - lib for C++ apps to link to the DLL
PSRemoteLib.h - header file for C++ applications using the DLL

Source - directory containing a VC++ project and source code for PSRemoteTest.exe

PSRemoteTest.exe
PSRemoteTest.exe is a simple command line application that communicates with PSRemote and allows the shutter to be released and some of the camera settings to be changed. PSRemoteTest.exe and complete source code to build it using Visual C++ .Net can be found in the PSRemoteTest folder where PSRemote is installed (usually C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote).

To run PSRemoteTest.exe first run PSRemote and then open a command prompt window and change directory to the PSRemoteTest folder. Then run PSRemoteTest.exe -h to get a list of the available commands.

Here is the output from a simple session where the output directory is set and the shutter is released
(commands typed in by the user are shown in bold):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cd C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote\PSRemoteTest
C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote\PSRemoteTest>PSRemoteTest.exe -h
Usage: PSRemoteTest [-w [<shots>] [-i <interval>]] [-a <aperture>] [-s <shutter>]

-h print this usage information
-w <shots> run camera as a webcam for <shots> shots
images are saved as webcam.jpg in the current directory
-t <interval> specify the number of seconds between shots when
used as a webcam
-a <aperture> set the aperture, 0 = widest aperture
-s <shutter> set the shutter speed, 0 = longest shutter speed
-e <mode> set the exposure mode (EOS-1D and EOS-1DS only)
-x <comp> set the exposure compensation
-i <quality> set the image size and quality
-I <ISO> set the ISO
-c <comment> set comment to be added to images (max 255 chars)
-o <directory> set the output directory
-q query output directory
-n don't release shutter

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote\PSRemoteTest>PSRemoteTest.exe -n -o C:\Photos -q
Output directory: C:\Photos\2004-01-15\

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote\PSRemoteTest>PSRemoteTest.exe
Success, image saved as: C:\Photos\2004-01-15\IMG_0001.JPG

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\PSRemote\PSRemoteTest>

Sample Perl script for time-lapse sequences
interval_shooting.pl is a sample Perl script which can be used to take time-lapse sequences. It connects to the camera, takes a photo and then disconnects from the camera until it is time to take the next photo. The script can be configured to take shots at different intervals with a specified start time and stop time and can take a single shot or take a three shot auto-bracket sequence.

Copyright © 2003 to 2008, Breeze Systems Limited
www.breezesys.com

http://www.cyclopix.fr
info@cyclopix.fr

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:43 am

PSRemote uses the same syntax than DSLR Remote Pro; I guess NKRemote too. That's good news (Chris told me that he was working on it)!

I will write a dedicated plugin, or make a small modification on DSLRRemote Pro one to make it compatible with all 3 products.
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:56 am

fma38 wrote:PSRemote uses the same syntax than DSLR Remote Pro; I guess NKRemote too. That's good news (Chris told me that he was working on it)!

I will write a dedicated plugin, or make a small modification on DSLRRemote Pro one to make it compatible with all 3 products.

There is no indication in the documentation that NKRemote has this capapbility:
http://www.breezesys.com/downloads/NKRemote.pdf

And NKRemote only works with a few of the most recent, and mostly higher end, Nikon DSLRs - Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Nikon D300, Nikon D700, Nikon D3, Nikon D3X or Nikon D200.
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Frédéric, hi Andrew!

I installed a 64bit Win 7 on my Macbook Pro for using DSLR-Remote-Pro - and realized there´s no driver for my Canon 20D to use it with DSLR-Remote Pro.
I also installed a 64bit Win XP as a virtual machine - and realized there´s no driver for my Canon 20D.
Tomorrow i will install a 32bit XP instead - Canon seems to provide a driver for that one.

The Mac-version of DSLR Pro runs - in demo mode - perfectly under my 46bit SnowLeopard (kernel set to 64bit).

What about PapyWizard combined with DSLR-Remote-Pro - which OS would you suggest? What´s your experiences?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 pm

One thing to check is if DSLRRemoteTest executable exists under MacOS! If it does not, you won't be able to drive DSLRRemote Pro from Papywizard...

And if Canon does not provide 20D driver for 64bits system, you won't have other choice than using XP 32bits...
Frédéric

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:20 pm

fma38 wrote:And if Canon does not provide 20D driver for 64bits system, you won't have other choice than using XP 32bits...

I was afraid you´d say that . . . :cool:

thx and best to you, Klaus

no avatar
blazarus

Info

by blazarus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Frederic,

Any word on the plugin (Nikon) NK remote? is it being worked on?

Bruce

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:04 pm

I will ask Chris...
Frédéric

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Klaus, under linux, it is possible to run 32 bits apps on a 64 bits system; it may be possible to do the same under Windows?
Frédéric

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:23 pm

fma38 wrote:Klaus, under linux, it is possible to run 32 bits apps on a 64 bits system; it may be possible to do the same under Windows?

Hi Fred - somebody told me Win 7 opens an XP box in such a case . . . i´m gonna try :cool:

best to you, Klaus

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:25 am

klausesser wrote:
fma38 wrote:Klaus, under linux, it is possible to run 32 bits apps on a 64 bits system; it may be possible to do the same under Windows?

Hi Fred - somebody told me Win 7 opens an XP box in such a case . . . i´m gonna try :cool:

best to you, Klaus

This would be interesting to know... as I'm still refusing to install Win7 for some stubborn reason!!!

Best
Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 am

Chris confirmes me that the next release of NKRemote will have a DLL to control it as for DSLRRemote Pro and PSRemote.

Unfortunnaly, all these DLL don't exist under MacOS, and there is no plan to write them.
Frédéric

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:34 pm

fma38 wrote:Chris confirmes me that the next release of NKRemote will have a DLL to control it as for DSLRRemote Pro and PSRemote.

Unfortunnaly, all these DLL don't exist under MacOS, and there is no plan to write them.

There´s a Mac-version of DSLR Remote Pro released in September or so. Version 1.0 - works fine at least in demo mode.

best, Klaus

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:15 pm

But there is no DLL to control it from Papywizard.
Frédéric

Next