Question how to set a timed delay in shoot sequence.  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Question how to set a timed delay in shoot sequence.

by zhiker » Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Question how to set a timed delay in shoot sequence using a preset.
I have question using a Merlin Non-Goto via Bluetooth & PandroidWiz, is it possible to set
a delay between shoot sequences using a preset, Say something like this short example:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<papywizard>
<preset name="test-90-0-90 350">
<shoot>
<pict pitch="-0.0" yaw="0.0"/>
"Code for inserting a 20 second delay before next shot "
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="0.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-100.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-90.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-80.00"/>
</shoot>
</preset>
</papywizard>
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hope I stated this correctly, here is a example of a preset that works fine, but I would like
to insert a delay between shoot sequence, just looking for the correct syntax/code, since I will
be attaching the Merlin on a slider and was considering trying with some time lapse pano's.
Anyway here is the preset code example:
========================================= Start of Code ==========================================
<papywizard>
<preset name="test-90-0-90 50">
<tooltip>
Camera: Canon T3i
Panorama:
Top at 0.0deg
Bottom at -0.0deg
Vertical FOV 180.0deg
Vertical overlap 0 %
Horizontal overlap 30 %
</tooltip>
<shoot>
<pict pitch="-0.0" yaw="0.0"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-100.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-90.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-80.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-70.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-60.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-50.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-40.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-30.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-20.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="-10.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="10.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="20.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="30.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="40.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="50.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="60.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="70.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="80.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="90.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.00" yaw="100.00"/>
<pict pitch="0.0" yaw="0.0"/>
</shoot>
</preset>
</papywizard>
============================== End of Code =============================================
Thanks in Advance...... zhiker.......

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 113 posts
Info

Re: Question how to set a timed delay in shoot sequence.

by mediavets » Mon May 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Not like that.

If you used Papywizard you would handle it like this...(I think PandroidWiz has a similar parameter to Papywizard's 'time value' ?).

Anyway if using Papywizard...

See shooting sequence and time value here: http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/TipsAndTricks

You need to set the 'delay' (time value) here:
Attachments
1-pw-timevalue-delay.jpg

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 pm

If using PandroidWiz you set the 'time value' here:
Attachments
1-pandroidwiz-timevalue.jpg

no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Info

by zhiker » Tue May 26, 2015 6:25 pm

To mediavets:
Thanks for the reply, gave me something to mull over as they say and decided
to try qDslrDashboard's interval timer and PandroidWiz together, using a Canon Rebel XS,
Best I could get so far was setting the PandroidWiz Timevalue to 4.0, PulseHigh 0.0,
qDslrDashboard interval timer to 9.0 seconds. Camera would snap a photo and then Merlin made a move
and then timer would triger camera for photo, using the preset of "test-90-0-90 350" taking
a sequence of 24 shots, no motion blur. So I plan on heading up to Mt. Saint Helens backside,
that's the eastside the Coldwater Area and trying this out with some pano's,
so thank's and I'll get back with some pano's and let you see how thing's turn out.
FYI: I'll be using a dell tablet with PandroidWiz 2.0 and HP Laptop Win 8.1 with qDslrDashboard
and Canon Rebel XS tethered via usb. The Canon T3i will work on the wifi with a Samsung 10.5 Tablet,
TPLink 3040, qDslrDashboard, should get real interesting.
Thanks...... zhiker.......

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue May 26, 2015 6:55 pm

You've 'lost' me. I'm struggling to understand your chosen setup.

Why do you need to use both PandroidWiz and DSLRdashboard?

Do these programs communicate with each other - or otherwise interact - in any way?

I have run DSLRdashboard on my Nexus 7 tablet using WiFi and TPLink3040 with my Nikon D5100 but that's some time ago and I've forgotten the details.

Here's another interesting Windows-based tethered shooting program:
http://www.controlmycanon.com/

no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Info

by zhiker » Tue May 26, 2015 9:47 pm

To mediavets:
Why do you need to use both PandroidWiz and DSLRdashboard?
To make long story short, some guy walked up to Merlin waved his hand in front of the bluetooth
and Merlin went amuck, and before I could stop it the Rebel hit the ground and the
the Canon Rebel XS dislodged and completely broke the remote control terminal. Fortunatly
nothing else was broken, and since it is going to cost $400.00 US or more to fix it, I'll
live with a broken remote connection since everything works just fine. I use qDslrDashboard
via usb either tethered or the TPLink 3040 usb on the canon rebel xs now as a backup. So that's
the story in all it's glory, just way things happen. As a general rule I use my Canon T3i as
my primary camera and there are no broken parts on it, YET But Time Will Tell.
Best answer I can give you.

Do these programs communicate with each other - or otherwise interact - in any way?
I have not found a way to make them interact with one another yet, sure be nice if they did.

I tried using the timevalue command in the preset code and did not seem to affect anything
here is the example snipet:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<papywizard>
<camera>
<timeValue>4.0</timeValue>
</camera>
<preset name="A00-90-0-90 350">
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FYI: I found I got good results with the qDslrdashboard Interval Timer set at 10 Seconds and
PandroidWiz Timevalue set at 4.0, Pulsehigh 0.0 settings for the Canon Rebel XS. Starting
test on Canon T3i as soon as battery's recharge. Hope This helps..... zhiker......

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue May 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Putting time value in the preset won't do anything.

Time value in Papywizard shutter plugin config or in PandroidWIz should determine the time the head is stationery before moving to the next position.

But you are now having to trigger the shutter via the USB port using DSLRdashboard because the remote control port on the camera is broken - is that the situation?

So you have PandroidWiz running on the Dell tablet communicating with the Merlin via Bluetooth, and DSLRdashboard running on an HP Windows 8 laptop connected via USB to the camera - is that the setup?

Why not use Papywizard running on the laptop alongside DSLRdashboard, instead of PandroidWiz on the tablet?

Can your Canon DSLRs use an infrared remote to trigger the shutter? If so then you could use one of these connected to the Snap port on the Merlin, I used one with my Nikon D40 which doesn't support a wired remote, and it worked fine:
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/trigger.htm

Not worth 400USD to repair a Canon Rebel XS, you can buy a secondhand body for much less than that.

no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Info

by zhiker » Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 pm

To mediavets:
But you are now having to trigger the shutter via the USB port using DSLRdashboard because the
remote control port on the camera is broken - is that the situation?

Answer: For the Canon XS that is correct and it works just fine so far if I set PandroidWiz
Timevalue at 4.0 and Pulsehigh to 0.0, and use qDslrDashboard's Interval Timer to 10 seconds
for the duration of the preset running Merlin thru usb on the Dell tablet. Almost forgot that
qDslrdashboard is running on the HP Laptop win 8.1 tethered via usb to the Canon XS on a
3 meter usb extension cable using the Rebel XS interface cable (IFC-200U ) usb cable thru
to the digital terminal on the camera. A cheap work around for a broken remote terminal connection.

So you have PandroidWiz running on the Dell tablet communicating with the Merlin via Bluetooth,
and DSLRdashboard running on an HP Windows 8 laptop connected via USB to the camera - is that the setup?

Answer: That is correct, tried using the TP-Link 3040 with win 8.1 on the HP Laptop and though Win 8.1
thru wifi saw the TP-Link 3040 and made the connection qDslrDashboard would not work for some reason,
but works just fine using usb connection.

Why not use Papywizard running on the laptop alongside DSLRdashboard, instead of PandroidWiz on the tablet?

Answer: I tried using Papywizrd along side and nothing was ever in sync a far as timing went, either Merlin head
moved while camera was taking a shot or would make 2 moves for one camera shot. Timing just wasn't there
so I found the best action is start the preset wait till gets to position and then start the qDslrDasboard
interval timer and everything stays in sync.

Can your Canon DSLRs use an infrared remote to trigger the shutter?
Answer: No, since the remote control terminal connection on the Canon Rebel XS is broken at the
board on the DSLR, but you bring up a interesting thought, no one that I know of in
my limited knowledge has ever created a remote ir device that fire's thru the DSLR's
digital terminal connection using the DSLR's original interface cable, the closets
I've seen is qDslrDashboard software and either usb cable or TP-Link 3040 and that
either tethered or wifi, it would be nice if there was a way to create a cable that
connects to the Merlin Head at the terminal connector and back to the DSLR's usb
digital terminal using the DSLR's original interface cable.

Not worth $400 USD to repair a Canon Rebel XS, you can buy a secondhand body for much less than that.
Answer: This true I could buy a secondhand body for around $250 US, but then I would have to the DSLR
to local camera shop annd they ship that to Canon to get it properly PM'd and that would
cost $350 US and up, so now Im in for $500 US or more, I think I'll take that $500 and
invest in a new DSLR.
Hope This helps..... zhiker......

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed May 27, 2015 7:41 pm

I think I failed to explain the use of the GentLED Trigger device.

Using a 2.5-2.5mm cable you connect the Trigger device to the Snap port on the Merlin and if your camera supports IR remoter it will trigger the shutter.

The Rebel XS doesn't appear to support an IR remote but your t3i does I think.

It works well with my old Nikon D40 which doesn't support a aired remote.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 pm

zhiker wrote:
Not worth $400 USD to repair a Canon Rebel XS, you can buy a secondhand body for much less than that.
Answer: This true I could buy a secondhand body for around $250 US, but then I would have to the DSLR
to local camera shop annd they ship that to Canon to get it properly PM'd and that would
cost $350 US and up, so now Im in for $500 US or more, I think I'll take that $500 and
invest in a new DSLR.
Hope This helps..... zhiker......

I'd rather spend (and did spend) that sort of money on a Promote Control which could be used with both cameras, just connect it inline between the Snap port on the Merlin and the USB port on the camera and you will have an exposure bracketing capability no camera's built-in AEB can match:
http://www.promotesystems.com/

klausesser

Liked in: 45 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 pm

zhiker wrote:Question how to set a timed delay in shoot sequence using a preset.
I have question using a Merlin Non-Goto via Bluetooth & PandroidWiz, is it possible to set
a delay between shoot sequences using a preset, Say something like this short example:

Did you try Magic Lantern? I don´t know about your camera - but i know ML supports many Canons!
ML does almost everything PromoteControl does (and more) - but ML doesn´t cost you a dime!

http://www.magiclantern.fm

let me add: i have a Promote Control for years - actually i use it only on my Nikon D800.
On my Canon 5D2 i still ue ML instead.

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 pm

From the Magic lantern web site:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Supported Cameras:
5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 50D, 60D, 500D/T1i, 550D/T2i, 600D/T3i, 650D/T4i, 700D/T5i, 1100D/T3, EOS M

no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Info

by zhiker » Wed May 27, 2015 9:31 pm

To klausesser and mediavets:
As for Magic Lantern I've been using it on the Canon T3i since I bought it, here is a timelapse
example I did a Lower Lewis River Falls a couple weeks ago with Magic Latern built intervolmeter,
Watch the sticks......................... :)
http://www.pnwhiker.org/ylrtl041615/ylrtl041615.htm

As for the canon Rebel XS will Magic Latern never was able to support that model DSLR has to have video
support from my understanding.

Now as for the Promote Control that sounds interesting but the question still remains would one be able to
run it thru a Canon Rebel XS digital terminal connection, I see they have OTG cable support, so it take it
one would connect the Promote Control to the OTG cable and then using DSLR's interface cable to the OTG cable.
Anyway I use a OTG cable thru either my Samsung Phone or Tablet when connecting via usb to the Canon Rebel XS.
Almost forgot to mention the other option is to use TP-Link 3040 via the usb and digital terminal link for either
the Canon Rebel XS or T3i and the Samsung wifi using qDslrDashboard. And for those you that are think of using
DSLR Controller App will with a OTG via usb, I know that works on both Canons.

I followed your link to Promote's web site and found no list of supported camera's, so the above is just a guess
setup for now. Is it possible for you post a pic of your Promote setup using Merlin, thanks in advance.

Since I plan to head up to Mt. Saint Helens southeast side friday, I will take pics of my different setup
solutions I've came up with and post them over the weekend.
zhiker......................

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 pm

From Promote web site: http://www.promotesystems.com/products/ ... ntrol.html

A non-exhaustive list of supported cameras includes the following brands and models:

Nikon: D4, D3, D3s, D3X, D2X, D2Xs, D2H, D2Hs, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D800*, D800e*, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D600, D3100, D3200*, D3300*, D5000*, D5100*, D5200*, D7000, D7100*.

*Nikon cameras marked with (*) require an optional USB OTG adapter (USB Mini-AB male to USB Type A female). Nikon D800/D800e additionally requires Promote Control firmware update 2.49b or later.

NOTE 1: Fuji S5 Pro is currently not compatible due to differences in camera firmware.

NOTE 2: There is currently no shutter cable available for D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80 cameras. Promote Control is still compatible with those cameras in USB-only mode at this time.

Canon Type 1: 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1D X, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 5Ds, 5Ds R, 7D, 7D Mark II, 6D, 30D, 40D, 50D

Canon Type 2: 100D/SL1, 400D/XTi, 450D/XSi, 500D/T1i, 550D/T2i, 600D/T3i, 650D/T4i, 700D/T5i, 750D/T6i, 760D/T6s, 1000D/XS, 1100D/T3, 60D, 70D.

NOTE 1: Canon 300D, 350D, 10D, 20D, 5D Mk I, 1D/1Ds Mk I and 1D/1Ds Mk II cameras are not supported in HDR mode. Only basic operations such as One-Shot, Time-Lapse and Manual Hold are available on these cameras, and would require a CN3 cable to be connected.

NOTE 2: Canon 5D Mk III, 60D, 70D and 6D cannot be automatically switched to Bulb mode if/when required by HDR bracketing (>30 second exposures only). A prompt will be shown on the Promote Control screen if a Bulb mode is required in HDR mode.

Other Canon cameras listed above are fully supported, including HDR mode.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Perhaps this will explain how the components of the 'system' are connected.

I am using the Promote Control to provide extended exposure bracketing.
Attachments
1-promote-merlin.jpg

Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard