Controlling the Merlin/Orion with Arduino  

Everything you need to motorize your head
claudevh

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by claudevh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:29 pm

I use the MX2 firmware without any problems,
It compile, load and run on the MX2 PCB with a Arduino Uno.
This work perfectly for simple Merlin mouvements.
I am not a Arduino expert and I have build myselve the MX2 with the Dynamic Perception Kit ...
In fact the MX2 is a shield for Arduino, who add a LCD, some buttons, 2 Motor CC drivers for the "Dolly" part, a camera triggering system (Opto's) 2 additional In/Output, one is used for the Merlin and the other one is actually unused.
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
gloob

Info

by gloob » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Claude,

As you could see in the last post I did compare the both projects and found an other decleration in the mx2 project. So I added this on to my MerlinMount test project and everything was fine.
Now I'm only waiting for my Merlin to receive.

The reason why I want to programm it myself is because I want to have a multifunctional device with the arduino.

At the moment I use it for HDR, Timelapse, Longexposure and a Lightbarrier function.
The Arduino is triggering the camera via cable or IR.

Adding the Merlin support will give me a multifunctional device that can handle almost all situations.

I will keep on reporting my status of development.
Last edited by gloob on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
GuzZzt

Topic author
Info

by GuzZzt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:37 pm

gloob: Yes, there is some pathing needed in the verison I have online. I will will try to fix it and upload a new version tomorrow.

no avatar
gloob

Info

by gloob » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 pm

This would Be really cool. I will also provide Feedback if i get it Running completely

no avatar
GuzZzt

Topic author
Info

by GuzZzt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I have uploaded the new files now. Just re-download them from http://www.gigapixel.nu/info_project.php and let me know if you find any issues.

PS If anyone have used the lib and published the build online would I be happy to add a link to your site/blog/etc about the build.

no avatar
gloob

Info

by gloob » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Many thanks for your work. Now I could compile the project and load it to my Arduino. Now I'm only waiting for my merlin to receive.

no avatar
gloob

Info

by gloob » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Okay there is an update with my project. The merlin received today and about 20 minutes later he was moving by commands from the Arduino. At first I did try the example programm. Now I'm going to start to implement the whole Merlin stuff into my Arduino universal-function-device. :D

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:20 pm

emm.. I really want to buy a Merlin one day but all this strange chat and tech'o stuff.... Oh wow... Perhaps I need to be a computer genus before I buy one... I just want to press a button and it goes... The biggest button :).. The prettiest button that flashing the most..... and then GO do your stuff my little Merlin... But perhaps it does not do that.. Perhaps I have to have a tech'o brain!!... Are there presets in this Merlin.. Like take a full pano in a few different ways or do I have to program it or something...

D... oh so confused....

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am

Destiny wrote:emm.. I really want to buy a Merlin one day but all this strange chat and tech'o stuff.... Oh wow... Perhaps I need to be a computer genus before I buy one...

No, you don't - the guys here are doing something non-standard by way of developing a customised DIY controller. Just for 'fun' I guess.

I just want to press a button and it goes... The biggest button :).. The prettiest button that flashing the most..... and then GO do your stuff my little Merlin... But perhaps it does not do that..

It pretty much does that.

Perhaps I have to have a tech'o brain!!... Are there presets in this Merlin.. Like take a full pano in a few different ways or do I have to program it or something...

D... oh so confused....

Whether you choose to control the Merlin with the Papywizard software or the Touch controller each offers a few different ways to specify the scene you wish to photograph, with a modes for shooting a regular grid/matrix of images for partial panos, and a mode for shooting a pattern of images with fewer shots per row approaching the poles for spherical panos.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
shutterdrone

Info

by shutterdrone » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:08 am

Guzzzt,

Just wanted to drop by and personally thank you for your work on the Merlin library. I don't know if you noticed, but the MX2 firmware is using a modified form of your library (we linked you on the documentation page, and also linked the modified library) - I had to change a few things to make it work with the MX2 (variable speeds, go to angle, set speed in angle/minute vs. integer, query head parameters so that speeds match actual head speeds as much as possible), and also found an issue with valToHexStr() which caused some values to be corrupt when sending arbitrary values. The fix was less efficient, afaict, but seems to work for all values (see _printHex() in the modified form).

I've been meaning to stop by and ask if you wanted to merge in the changes, so we could just link to you instead of serving the fork ourselves, but, like an idiot, I never got around to it! The modified form can be found here: http://openmoco.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openmoco/Arduino/Libraries/MerlinMount/trunk/

Thanks,
!c

no avatar
GuzZzt

Topic author
Info

by GuzZzt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:03 pm

shutterdrone: Some very nice improvements you did! Unfortunately I am very busy with other projects at the moment so you can continue to handle the modified version and I might merge in your version in the future.

Previous