Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard  

Everything you need to motorize your head
User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi!

That's a long time I didn't work on Papywizard, and I only used EOS Utility to implement the plugin. So, it is difficilt to help...

But...

Papywizard excepts that the shutter plugin is blocking until the the shutter cycle is over. I don't remember how does EOS Utility script work; did your try to call it from a console, and see what happens?

no avatar
pwaitzman
Member
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by pwaitzman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:59 pm

hi fma38 - i'm not sure that i know what you mean when you ask "did your try to call it from a console, and see what happens?" how would i do that?

thanks,
paul

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:17 pm


User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 am

pwaitzman wrote:Hello Mediavets,

Thanks for the very fast reply and apologies for not providing complete information.

first answers to your questions:
platform & OS ... dell t3500 running Windows 7 64 bit.
connection is via serial port to allview controller for yaw and pitch and usb for the canon eos utility
my objective is to be able to execute exposure bracketed shots during the panorama
configuration is exactly as you illustrated except that dry run is not checked

now an update:
after some research i located and compiled a copy of eosbracket.ahk and placed both the ahk & exe files in the papywizard program directory - so i am now able get camera control thru eos utility. woohoo!
i also included an ini file that was posted along side the ahk.

so far so good but i still have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer

i suspect that the eosbracket.ahk file that i located is an early version (it was posted in april 2nd of 2009). perhaps you know of a more current version?
how to i make sure that the delay before the next move is sufficient to allow for the shots with longer exposures?
is there some information regarding how bracketing works - i experimented with TV, AV and Manual bracketing does not appear to be consistent from position to position.
i've tried shots with and without the ini in various camera modes and it doesn't seem to make a difference with regards to exposure. (see the file information below.) could this be due to the early version of the ahk?
i see some discussion about py files or other types of plugins - am i going about this incorrectly?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.



Hi!

What you want to achieve can be done in a very simple way: using MagicLantern on your Caonon ( imaybe i missed you whether you mentioned the model).

I ´ll tell you how i use it on my Canon 5D2:

Set the controller/head to trigger the camera ONCE on each position.
Set MagicLantern to run your favourite bracketing-sequence automatically.
Done.

You not even need to use ML: the 5D2 itself can run a 3-shot bracketing @up to 2EV apart.

You definitely don´t need ANY external device if you have a Canon camera supporting Magic Lantern
or is able to run a bracketing-sequence automatically.

Please tell us which camera you use and we´ll be able to provide more detailed help.

Klaus

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 am

pwaitzman wrote:I hope that someone can help me out.

I just purchased a Sky-watcher Allview and finally got control with Papywizard (2.1.21, latest & greatest). But I'm having problems using the EOS Utility plugin. It's probably a set up issue but it looks like I can't properly connect the EOS Utility - Merlin-Orion via serial connection is selected for yaw & pitch, the connection method greys out when I select EOS Utility - if i select it anyway i get connected but there's no shutter control even though i have a good usb connection to the camera - says failed after moving to 1st shot position.

If I choose Merlin-Orion and select serial, and use the snap cable everything's fine. Any Tips would be greatly appreciated!!


Why would you use the EOS-utility at all?? Which Canon-camera do you use??
That´s vital information first hand . . =D :cool:

Klaus

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:52 am

Maybe he wants to download the photos immediatly?

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:16 pm

fma38 wrote:Maybe he wants to download the photos immediatly?



Which sense would it make when you shoot a panorama?

best to you, Klaus

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by mediavets » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:19 pm

klausesser wrote:
pwaitzman wrote:I hope that someone can help me out.

I just purchased a Sky-watcher Allview and finally got control with Papywizard (2.1.21, latest & greatest). But I'm having problems using the EOS Utility plugin. It's probably a set up issue but it looks like I can't properly connect the EOS Utility - Merlin-Orion via serial connection is selected for yaw & pitch, the connection method greys out when I select EOS Utility - if i select it anyway i get connected but there's no shutter control even though i have a good usb connection to the camera - says failed after moving to 1st shot position.

If I choose Merlin-Orion and select serial, and use the snap cable everything's fine. Any Tips would be greatly appreciated!!


Why would you use the EOS-utility at all?? Which Canon-camera do you use??
That´s vital information first hand . . =D :cool:

Klaus

I guess to enable extended exposure bracketing?

.....

Of course the Promote Control would do that very well too.

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm

+1. Basic Canon bracketing is a toy on most cameras...

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:09 pm

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:
pwaitzman wrote:I hope that someone can help me out.

I just purchased a Sky-watcher Allview and finally got control with Papywizard (2.1.21, latest & greatest). But I'm having problems using the EOS Utility plugin. It's probably a set up issue but it looks like I can't properly connect the EOS Utility - Merlin-Orion via serial connection is selected for yaw & pitch, the connection method greys out when I select EOS Utility - if i select it anyway i get connected but there's no shutter control even though i have a good usb connection to the camera - says failed after moving to 1st shot position.

If I choose Merlin-Orion and select serial, and use the snap cable everything's fine. Any Tips would be greatly appreciated!!


Why would you use the EOS-utility at all?? Which Canon-camera do you use??
That´s vital information first hand . . =D :cool:

Klaus

I guess to enable extended exposure bracketing?

.....

Of course the Promote Control would do that very well too.


On Canon cameras MagicLantern does the same as PromoteControl - and more! And for free!
That´s why i asked which Canon model he uses.
;)

Klaus

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:14 pm

fma38 wrote:+1. Basic Canon bracketing is a toy on most cameras...


Depends on which Canon model he uses - he didn´t disclose it afaik! MagicLantern is free and does almost all what the 300.-€ PromoteControl also does in terms of bracketing. And more.

My PromoteControl i use on the D800 for achieving 2EV-steps instead of one. There is no MagicLantern on Nikons.

Klaus

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:44 pm

There is no Papywizard plugin for MagicLantern, unless the generic tethered works. EOS Utility is also Free, and is supported.

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:50 pm

fma38 wrote:There is no Papywizard plugin for MagicLantern, unless the generic tethered works. EOS Utility is also Free, and is supported.


Frédéric - i guess you misunderstood: MagicLantern is an INTERNAL camera-hack. It enables a Canon camera do do things it cannot do by it´s own firmware. One of this things is widely extended bracketing: up to 9 steps@variable EV.

So - as i mentioned before - it´s possible to trigger a Canon ONCE for shooting an up to 9 steps bracketing series fully automatically.

That means: no need at all to use the EOS ultility for triggeringthe camera. ONE trigger-signal at each position does it all.
Which easily can be done by PapyWizard WITHOUT needing to use EOS utility . . as said.
You DO NOT NEED a "PW-plugin for MagicLantern" at all - btw.: there is none . .

;) :cool:

Klaus

fma38 likes this post.

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:48 pm

Ok, I see! Very nice, but only for recent DSLR...

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:17 pm

fma38 wrote:Ok, I see! Very nice, but only for recent DSLR...



Well, my almost 6 years old 5D2 can take it - ML was introduced for the 5D2 initially when the camera showed to be a game-changer in video.

best, Klaus

no avatar
pwaitzman
Member
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by pwaitzman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:54 am

Guys - just got back to the forum & i see all the posts - sorry that i didn't mention it - my camera is a canon T1i. I was hoping that i could take some pano's with bracketed shots. I'm used to using camranger and have had some really good results with that ... 5, 7, 9 shot brackets that turned out good and i want to try and apply that to some hi resolution pano shots. I just can't seem to get the exposure control to work shutter is set to eos utility in papywizard.

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:43 pm

pwaitzman wrote:Guys - just got back to the forum & i see all the posts - sorry that i didn't mention it - my camera is a canon T1i. I was hoping that i could take some pano's with bracketed shots. I'm used to using camranger and have had some really good results with that ... 5, 7, 9 shot brackets that turned out good and i want to try and apply that to some hi resolution pano shots. I just can't seem to get the exposure control to work shutter is set to eos utility in papywizard.



Again (for the third time ;) ):
1) Forget the EOS utility. Forget CamRanger. Set Papywizard to ONCE trigger the camera. Set the camera to "burst"-mode. The camera fires the whole range of different exposures automatically.
2) Do the same things - exept setting MagicLantern accordingly if you want another bracketing sequence than your camera internally provides by nature. ML works with your camera.

But as said: even without using ML your camera is able to shoot a row of different exposures automatically - which is called "bracketing" - completely on it´s own when you set it to "burst"-mode.

You just need to set your PapyWizard-containing device to send ONE trigger-impulse. NO NEED for Canon-utility, NO NEED for CamRanger, NO NEED for PromoteControl.

It´s really THAT SIMPLE.

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by mediavets » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Klaus

He had previously talked of 5,7 and 9 shot bracketing (using Camranger).

I guess he was looking to do similar bracketing but with Merlin/Papywizard.

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:04 pm

mediavets wrote:Klaus

He had previously talked of 5,7 and 9 shot bracketing (using Camranger).

I guess he was looking to do similar bracketing but with Merlin/Papywizard.



Andrew - i told it before several times ;) :

Using Magic Lantern allows Canon-users to use up to 9-steps-bracketing @1, 2 and 3 EV.
ML is a -free - software which resides on thje CF-card without altering the camera´s firmware - besides of setting
one little flag. ML can be used or not - it can be removed at any time without issues.

ML is THE tool when you want to shoot bracketed.

I repeated this all over again about 4 times now - seems nobody reads it or understands it.

PapyWizard onkly needs to trigger the camera ONCE by sending an impiulse. ALL the rest the camera can do by it´s own. WITHOUT CamRanger, WITHOUT PromoteControl, WITHOUT EOS-utitly . . .

ML is a genius - you wouldn´t need anything else. And it´s free.

Initially dedigned for movie-purposes in rthe meantime it´s IDEAL for shooting bracketed with Canon cameras.

I sincerely hope they can transform it on Nikons - that would be of great help. But other than Canon they (Nikon) refuse to release and license a developer-kit.

Klaus
having repeated this several times - as said already i´m afraid nobody seems to realize what i write - i´ll hereby stop repeating it all over again . . :cool:

@ pwaitzman: just *read the link* - http://www.magiclantern.fm

here´s regarding bracketing:
Bildschirmfoto 2015-03-20 um 20.08.42.png

no avatar
pwaitzman
Member
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by pwaitzman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:31 am

yep - I've seen the ML link from previous posts - definitely planning to try that this weekend. I'll let you know how that turns out. one thing i'm worried about though - Can papywizard be configured to delay the move to the next shot so the the move doesn't start before the exposures end? sometimes the bracketed shots are long when shooting sunrise shots 3 minutes or so

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8831
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by klausesser » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:18 am

pwaitzman wrote:Can papywizard be configured to delay the move to the next shot so the the move doesn't start before the exposures end? sometimes the bracketed shots are long when shooting sunrise shots 3 minutes or so



Yes! Of course! Set the wait-time to let the sequence happen automatically before the head moves to the next position.

I don´t know whether it exists in PW/Nokia/Laptop - but with the T&C touchcontroller you can connect the camera´s flash-sync with the controller´s 3,5mm jack and get the second-curtain-signal from the camera. This signal tells the controller when the exposuretime is finished and the head can proceed to the next position.
That way you don´t need to care for the time to wait for the exposures are finished. Ideal for leaving the camera allone for hours to shoot time-lapses and so on . .

Klaus

PS - btw: on the T&C touchcontroller all that is done in seconds - without fizzeling around with nicely colored but uncomfortably complicated menues for hopefully making it run at all via WLAN . . . ;) =D :cool:

no avatar
pwaitzman
Member
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by pwaitzman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:56 pm

SUCCESS!!

apparently i was trying to make the process way more complicated that it needs to be.

setting the eos500d to autobracket with the magic lantern and papywizard move the camera and trigger once at each position works just fine.

huge thanks for the magic lantern tip - that provides all the options that i need. great add-on.

2 people like this post.

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by fma38 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:09 pm

:o)

no avatar
pwaitzman
Member
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by pwaitzman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:49 am

Next attempt (after I return my allview mount because it won't power up with the battery pack - dammit) will be AETTR to maintain correct exposure during sunset. Looks like a bit of a challenge but I think it will work. Has anyone had experience doing that?

no avatar
pwaitzman
Member
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm
Info

Re: Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard

by pwaitzman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:51 am

doing that while bracketing - i meant to say.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron