Thethered bracketing with EOS Utility and Papywizard  

Everything you need to motorize your head
fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:20 pm

sjhenry wrote:PS: The ideal solution is to use the EOS SDK and write a command line utility that is specific to Papywizard's need for exposure and focus bracketing.

Don't know how hard it would be to make a python wrapper of this SDK...
Frédéric

no avatar
sjhenry

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by sjhenry » Fri May 15, 2009 4:17 am

I think the python wrapper may not be possible directly from the SDK. I have not downloaded it so it is my guess. From PW point of view, it is better to write an abstraction layer in between PW and the SDK something like

PW
|
Abstract DLL (generic functions for exposure/focus/white balance etc bracketing)
| | |
Canon SDK Nikon SDK Olympus SDK

Then PW will do a wrapper on the abstract layer.

I am not sure about the licensing of the SDK as well.

Jones

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:27 am

Yes, you may be right. But in any case, it will be a little more difficult to distribute such plugin, as it will need to be compiled within Papywizard. The present solution (based on sub-process) is more simple, as third-party tethered programs don't need to be distributed within Papywizard. And there is no licensp problem neither.
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Info

by tarnis » Sat May 16, 2009 3:29 am

Should this work with any version of EosUtility? looked like a simpler solution to my random 'not taking that picture' issue so finally got XP loaded back onto the netbook tonight. I lost my disk from the 20D somewhere alongst the way so just downloaded the newest version of eosutility which now has a white background in the shooting window that had previously been black like your image.

Anyways it says no eosutility window found for each picture taken.

Thanks
Matt

no avatar
sjhenry

Topic author
Info

by sjhenry » Sat May 16, 2009 6:07 am

Hi Matt,

The EOS Utility for the 20D is the old one the white screen. I installed the recent version of the EOS Utility and tested my 20D and 450D with the script. It works fine. For the white screen EOS Utility, the bulb mode and focus bracketing mode are disabled within the script since the EOS Utility did not support it. I am attaching the screen shots below.

The first screen shows the new black screen EOS Utility which is used by 450D and allows live view and focus changing in the live view mode (with lens set auto focus mode).
The second screen shows the option "new" needs to be selected for the "EOS Utility Type" in the plugin.
The third screen shows the option "old" needs to be selected for the "EOS Utility Type" in the plugin for white screen EOS Utility.
The fourth screen shows the white screen EOS Utility which is used for 300D, 20D etc.

Jones

PS: The EOS Utility changes depending on the camera type attached to the computer and not the version of the EOS Utility.

Edit: After upload the images, the order was changed and corrected now.

Last edited by sjhenry on Sat May 16, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
tarnis

Info

by tarnis » Sat May 16, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks....A step closer but another step back :) It now seems to be doing something, the mouse now moves over the icon with the wrench and hammer where you set your name and info rather then the camera where I assume it should go. It doesn't 'click' on the button either if it's supposed to do that.

It could be my problem...not totally sure. I'm doing this on a lenovo s10e which has a 1024x576 screen resolution however I have it set to 1024x768 and can slide up and down panning the desktop. Kind of a pain to work this way.

Speaking of which I saw the dell mini10 today. It looked like Intel integrated some sort of scaling mode which squished 1024x768 into a the 1024x600 screen. The option was right there in the intel driver...that something that can be done on other models? I looked but seems I have the latest video driver on my computer.

Thankyou for the quick response.
Last edited by tarnis on Sat May 16, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
sjhenry

Topic author
Info

by sjhenry » Sat May 16, 2009 5:10 pm

You want to verify the "Shoot Pictures" check box is checked. Otherwise it will simply change the shutter speed and come back. After opening the EOS Utility, leave it as it is. Also when Papywizard calls the EOSBracket to do the bracketing you don't want to move the mouse or touch the keyboard to do anything else. The reason is the script is nothing but a keyboard macro script. Once the 360 or mosaic settings are done and shoot button is pressed, both PW and script will take care of the rest.

Jones

no avatar
tarnis

Info

by tarnis » Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks Jones, that looks like it was it. Didn't even notice the checkbox. Need to go fix my USB/Serial cable now...bluetooth don't work in windows for some weird reason without everything freezing. But better then skipped images till I figure out the other part that don't work :)

no avatar
gpfoto

Info

by gpfoto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:05 am

Hi,

I don't find the eosbracket.exe file on my papywizard folder. Where can I download it from?

Thank you,

gpfoto

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Castillonis wrote:sjhenry, thanks for posting the concise directions along with the screenshots. I appreciate it. I purchased a Merlin and I am reviewing different netbooks. I am glad that you mentioned the minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 for the Canon utility to install / or work. I have noticed that almost all of the netbooks have a screen resolution of 1024 x 600 and that some of the netbooks with 1024 x 768 or 800 have glossy screens. Which netbook are you using?

Dear Castillonis,

I just began to use the Acer Aspire One 751
http://www.acer.de/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redirect&changedAlts=&CRC=600100215#wrAjaxHistory=0

it has a resolution of 1366 x 768 (WXGA) glossy.
I use it with 1gig ram. (2gig max.)
an onboard bluetooth uses broadcom chipset. I use it with BT interface from teleskop-austria.at.
Canon EOS Utility + Canon Photo Professional + EOS RAW Codec Plugin works smoothly with XP SP3.
battery is normally (Internet surfing + WLAN enabled module + bluetooth module enabled) good for 6 hours. (ads say 8 hours - perhaps if monitor is switched to lowest light level).

so - so far - I'm really happy with this netbook ;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm

gpfoto wrote:Hi,

I don't find the eosbracket.exe file on my papywizard folder. Where can I download it from?

Thank you,

gpfoto

look at page 1 of the threat and search the posting containing the script: EOSBracker.ahk
inside fist lines of scipt the way to happiness is described ;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

no avatar
gpfoto

Info

by gpfoto » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:59 pm

gkaefer wrote:
gpfoto wrote:Hi,

Thank you,

gpfoto

look at page 1 of the threat and search the posting containing the script: EOSBracker.ahk
inside fist lines of scipt the way to happiness is described ;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

:):):)
Reading, and reading is the answer... Thank you.

Now, I'm working with the EOS Utility and seems to work fine except for that it takes more than 1 min. to take every shoot. It starts mooving to the position, stabilization, and then it shoots the first image about 1:10 min. later. And the same for every image.

I've also noticed that on the taskbar I've as many icons with the "H" (AutoHotKey) as shooted images...

How to solve this?

Thanky you,

gpfoto

no avatar
awelker

Info

by awelker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:51 pm

I found this project on source forge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycanon/ Don't know if it would be any use, but should be a good start with the canon sdk.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Nice! I will ask for the Canon SDK, and see what it is possible to do with this module...
Frédéric

no avatar
gpfoto

Info

by gpfoto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:56 pm

gpfoto wrote:...
Now, I'm working with the EOS Utility and seems to work fine except for that it takes more than 1 min. to take every shoot. It starts mooving to the position, stabilization, and then it shoots the first image about 1:10 min. later. And the same for every image.

I've also noticed that on the taskbar I've as many icons with the "H" (AutoHotKey) as shooted images...

How to solve this?

Thanky you,

gpfoto

This isue has been solved excluding Papywizard's folder from being scanned by McAfee ViruScan.
Now Papywizard and EOS Utility works fine!

gpfoto

no avatar
Matze

Info

by Matze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:30 am

2 questions:

1. is it possible to post a step-by-step instruction what to do to let PW and EOS Utility work together (I work on an Mac, not on a PC)
2. I saw at the linked screenshots you work with version 1.x. Does ist work with 2.1.5 too because I have to use this to connect my MacBook via bluetooth to the Merlin

thanks and regards
Matze
Last edited by Matze on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canon EOS 40D with Canon 70-200/2,8 L IS USM
Merlin with Papywizard on Nokia n800 and MacBook OSX

no avatar
sjhenry

Topic author
Info

by sjhenry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 am

Hello Matze,

1. The current EOS plugin works only in Windows. The reason is that it is using a keyboard macro program called AutoHotKey which is available only in Windows. I never used a Mac before and I am not sure you can run the Windows program there (or using wine etc). The thread here http://www.autopano.net/forum/p42332-2009-04-02-21-47-51#p42332 explains how to setup the keyboard macro. The thread here http://www.autopano.net/forum/p44768-2009-05-07-19-40-32#p44768 explains how to use PW and EOS Utility plugin.

2. It works with the 2.x version as well. I am using PW 2.1.9 on my netbook which works fine with EOS Utility.

Jones

Tipjip

Info

by Tipjip » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm very close to buying the Merlin now and have started to experiment with Papywizard in simulation mode and EOS Utility and found two things that might be interesting to some of you.

The first thing is the solution for a problem I ran into with my Canon EOS 350 D. It took the pictures fine but instead of doing multiple exposures EOS Utility kept changing the white balance between shots. That baffled me somewhat until I compared the screenshots posted in this thread to the actual view of my EOS Utility window. As it turned out, the information on exposure time was missing in my window. The solution was as simple as it gets: The camera needs to be in full manual mode! Otherwise elements of the EOS Utility windows will be missing and as the AutoHotkey-Script appears to navigate by tabbing to the correct buttons, it will fail if some of the buttons aren't there. This might be obvious, but I didn't find this particular hint in this thread so maybe it will be useful to someone else.

The other thing is directly connected to the (utter lack of) driver support from Canon for Vista 64bit (and as yet Windows 7 64bit). As there are no drivers for the EOS 350D for those operating systems you can't shoot in tethered mode via EOS Utility. So what you need to to is use Windows XP. The good thing about it: You don't have to ditch your regular OS to do this. Just install Virtual PC (it's free), do an XP install there, install Papywizard and EOS Utility, connect the EOS to the computer and tell Virtual PC to patch it through to the guest OS. Works like a charm.

I did also try it with Sun Virtual Box but am experiencing driver difficulties there and didn't get Papy/EOS to work with it.

Christian
Last edited by Tipjip on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks for the tips. About Virtualbox, you need the full version, not the OSE (Open Source Edition) which does not support USB...
Frédéric

Tipjip

Info

by Tipjip » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:20 pm

fma38 wrote:Thanks for the tips. About Virtualbox, you need the full version, not the OSE (Open Source Edition) which does not support USB...

That's correct, but I was using the full version. I keep having trouble with the VirtualBox USB driver anyway (and not only for the 350D but for an older Canon Scanner which isn't supported in x64, too.

Christian

P.S.: According to a quick google search that appears to be a common problem with VirtualBox.
Last edited by Tipjip on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm not suprised. As I only use the OSE edition, I can't really help you.
Frédéric

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:29 am

eos utility for my 1D MkIII works in vista x64 but not in xp x64....maybe try to update it.

Henrik

PS Just waiting for my Merlin

Tipjip

Info

by Tipjip » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Is it possible, that the bracket type from the EOS Utility Settings in Papywizard isn't properly evaluated? No matter how I set it, it always shoots in the standard mode.

When I manually change the bracket type in EOSBracket.ahk it gets really strange:

Settings in Pypwizard and EOSUtility are as follows:

Exposure Bracketing Stops: 1
Exposure Bracketing Type: 0++
Exposure Bracketing Picture Count: 3
Exposure Time = 125 (in EOS Utility)

With bracket type = 3 in EOSBracket.ahk it uses the standard settings (ignoring the 0++ in the Papywizard settings)
3 fotos with exposure times 125, 60, 250

With bracket type = 1 I get only one picture with exposure time 125.

With bracket type = 2 I get five pictures with 125, 60, 30, 250, 500.

I recompiled EOSBracket.ahk after every change, but didn't restart papywizard. I tried it once, though, and it didn't change the results.

And no, I didn't change the Number of Exposure accidentally.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Christian

no avatar
irpano

Info

by irpano » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:48 am

To matze,
A tethered solution for mac users
http://www.ononesoftware.com/quick/2009 … Remote_All

no avatar
tarnis

Info

by tarnis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:34 pm

Hey all, I'm trying to use my 50D with this script..and I know I had it working when I first tried awhile ago(never really did anything though). I've gotten the plugin configured to "New". When I try running through a series now I'm getting the following error:

"unable to find main window button for eos utility"

Any ideas? If I put it back to "Old" the 20D works fine.
Last edited by tarnis on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext