replacement crown for Merlin: demand poll  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:45 pm

HaHa Klaus, way off topic :)
Make as much pictures you can during resizing the Merlin.
Maybe Tommy can use these images for his chinese friends.

OK back OT again..
Last edited by bigwade on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
teleskop-austria
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 25
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Vienna
Info

by teleskop-austria » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:09 pm

hello friends,

up to now about 2 definite and 3 probable "yes".

bigwade, there is a little hellish rule with the chinese friends: If you want them to produce for you, you have to pay the whole sum first, before they start. And its not 100% sure you get exactly what you ordered...

Dear Helmut, do you have an idea how to reach all the thousands of photographers and tell them the Merlin has maybe some benefits compared to their expensive big-name-equipment? Well, I think if a solution is good (and cheaper), word will spread. We have to work on making things easier, right!

regards from Vienna, Tommy

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

by fma38 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 pm

A great solution would consist to sell a complete kit: Merlin + BT module + modified crown + Manfrotto-like arm + triggering cable.

That's why I suggested a universal crown, so anybody could use its camera...
Frédéric

User avatar
claudevh
Moderator
 
Posts: 1349
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Mont-Saint-André (Belgium)
Info

by claudevh » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Tommy,

teleskop-austria wrote:... So if you possibly could need such a thing, just vote yes.

YES !

FMA38 wrote:A great solution would consist to sell a complete kit: Merlin + BT module + modified crown + Manfrotto-like arm + triggering cable.

YES YES YES !!!

:cool:
Last edited by claudevh on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
DukeNukeIt
Member
 
Posts: 27
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Info

by DukeNukeIt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 pm

I like the idea about a small universal plate, then a pack of different size shims (.5mm,1.0mm,1.5mm, etc). You can then customize your own head based on what camera you have. Plus, in the future when you buy a new camera you can just add or subtract a shim.

K.I.S.S

Dave

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:44 pm

fma38 wrote:A great solution would consist to sell a complete kit: Merlin + BT module + modified crown + Manfrotto-like arm + triggering cable.
That's why I suggested a universal crown, so anybody could use its camera...

Merlin, confirmed
BT, confirmed
Crown, the design is almost ready in one evening.. :)
17mm base + adjust rings
Rail, Pauls solution or better, still under construction..
Good or better ideas are welcome

but cable ?
just minijack>>camera
Mind you Canon i.e. has a patented the 3 pin release for your and my camera.
You can find clones.
The minjack fits all Rebel/300/350/450D camera's
No idea about Nikons
Last edited by bigwade on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:50 pm

DukeNukeIt wrote:I like the idea about a small universal plate, then a pack of different size shims (.5mm,1.0mm,1.5mm, etc). You can then customize your own head based on what camera you have. Plus, in the future when you buy a new camera you can just add or subtract a shim.

K.I.S.S

Dave

Dave, that's the idea but we have to think about friction and how to compose those shims and how to mount a rail on it.
Do you want your own rail or a new designed standard rail..

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:11 am

Maybe cheaper to make.
1) 17-18mm base with friction material
2) second part (B) with rail, camera specific (A-Value)

When you change your camera the only thing you have to order is a new "B" part without rail.
The "old" rail can be mounted on the new "B"
idea?

no avatar
Fletch
New member
 
Posts: 7
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 am
Info

by Fletch » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:01 am

I think it would depend on the cost and the completeness of the solution. I have been impressed by the skills and equipment of many experimenters on this forum but as a suburbanite I don't tend to have a small machine shop handy. Any solution would have to be as plug and play as possible. So crown +shims + rail system would have to be offered in a form that could allow modification on a kitchen table.
Last edited by Fletch on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

by fma38 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:39 am

What about having the last disc in fact the complete rail? Like the drawing attached... It could be done with laser or water cutting machine, which does not cost much...


Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 am

fma38 wrote:What about having the last disc in fact the complete rail? Like the drawing attached... It could be done with laser or water cutting machine, which does not cost much...

Yes. Yes. Yes. That's exactly what I tried - and obviously failed - to get across in an earlier post.

I think you originally proposed this idea a long time ago, in an earlier discussion of crown replacement? I have a 'folk memory' of such a thing.

What material do you think would be best for this?

I think that such a design could be sufficiently cheap to make that you could have camera/lens specific arms as well as a 'universal' arm.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 am

Fletch wrote:I think it would depend on the cost and the completeness of the solution. I have been impressed by the skills and equipment of many experimenters on this forum but as a suburbanite I don't tend to have a small machine shop handy. Any solution would have to be as plug and play as possible. So crown +shims + rail system would have to be offered in a form that could allow modification on a kitchen table.

I agree. That should be our goal.

The 'solution' should be offered in finished form, but could also be offered as a set of drawings, and CAD files, and guide notes so that those with the skills/equipment or access to a CNC machine shop could make, or have it made, themselves.

I'm sure thare are many such companies but this is the sort of company that could make a lasercut solution:
http://www.cut-tec.co.uk/index.htm
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
teleskop-austria
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 25
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Vienna
Info

by teleskop-austria » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 am

hello friends,

so far I don't see more than three or four demands from you enthusiasts,
As soon as frank has got his crown replacement, he will give feedback
to all of us and we will review the matter then.

regards, Tommy back on the laurels

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

by fma38 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 am

I would be interested for a universal crown, with a complete arm for the last disc, as I posted above...
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:14 am

teleskop-austria wrote:hello friends,

so far I don't see more than three or four demands from you enthusiasts,
As soon as frank has got his crown replacement, he will give feedback
to all of us and we will review the matter then.

regards, Tommy back on the laurels

HI Tommy,

The approach you suggest sounds good to me.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:14 am

fma38 wrote:I would be interested for a universal crown, with a complete arm for the last disc, as I posted above...

That sort of design would be of most interest to me too.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8830
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

by klausesser » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 pm

teleskop-austria wrote:hello friends,

so far I don't see more than three or four demands from you enthusiasts,
As soon as frank has got his crown replacement, he will give feedback
to all of us and we will review the matter then.

regards, Tommy back on the laurels

Hi Tommy!

I´d like to have one too!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Frederic,
Is there a better drawing available ?

User avatar
fma38
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France
Info

by fma38 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Unfortunally, I lost the original DXF file :( But I don't think it was totally correct; it is more an idea than a ready-to-go solution.

For example, the thickness should not be so large; 4 or 5mm is enough, I think.
Frédéric

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Does any one has the right skills to draw another one, post it here and when we agree we could ask TA for a price ?
So base disk 17mm as described before. add. rings to fill the A values, and the camera rail/disk.
grtz!
Last edited by bigwade on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jriley
Member
 
Posts: 147
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Spartanburg, SC USA
Info

by jriley » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 pm

I would be interested in a replacement crown, if such can be delivered at an affordable price. I would like it if the last bit were an Arca-Swiss type clamp and a rail that can slide in and out. Any functional equivalent woulde be fine as well. My Fuji S2 might not be able to get into the NPP even with the thinnest possible crown, since it is very large. :/

If money were no object, I would get one of the new micro four-thirds cameras to use as a dedicated Merlin camera. Those guys are tiny and probably would fit without modification. :)

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16414
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:27 pm

jriley wrote:If money were no object, I would get one of the new micro four-thirds cameras to use as a dedicated Merlin camera. Those guys are tiny and probably would fit without modification. :)

Quite a few of the smaller bodied DSLRs fit at NPP without modification.

My Nikon D40 for example, the D40X has identical body so that would fit too - not sure whether the D60 is also the same size.

IIRC the Fuji S2 uses the Nikon F-mount? You can pick up a used D40 body pretty cheaply these days.

Only downside of the D40/40X/60 is that they lack any built-in AEB capability. No wired remote either but Merlin/Papywizard works fine via the gemtles-JUMP IR trigger that I use. Oh, and they will only autofocus with AF-S lenses - they don't have the in-body focus motor/screw - but that is probably not an issue for pano shooting.
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 pm

jriley wrote:I would be interested in a replacement crown, if such can be delivered at an affordable price. I would like it if the last bit were an Arca-Swiss type clamp and a rail that can slide in and out. Any functional equivalent woulde be fine as well. My Fuji S2 might not be able to get into the NPP even with the thinnest possible crown, since it is very large. :/

Yep but the discussion here is to find modulair crown system for most cameras without the Arca/NN/Manfrotto etc. rail-solutions.
So: 1) base disk, 2) adjust rings, 3) camera arm+rail.
That is what people are asking for again and again, is it ?
grtz!

no avatar
jriley
Member
 
Posts: 147
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Spartanburg, SC USA
Info

by jriley » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:07 am

bigwade wrote:
jriley wrote:I would be interested in a replacement crown, if such can be delivered at an affordable price. I would like it if the last bit were an Arca-Swiss type clamp and a rail that can slide in and out. Any functional equivalent woulde be fine as well. My Fuji S2 might not be able to get into the NPP even with the thinnest possible crown, since it is very large. :/

Yep but the discussion here is to find modulair crown system for most cameras without the Arca/NN/Manfrotto etc. rail-solutions.
So: 1) base disk, 2) adjust rings, 3) camera arm+rail.
That is what people are asking for again and again, is it ?
grtz!

I didn't know whether it had been finalized a certain way. All I meant was that it would be nice to have the rail be arca-swiss. It clamps so easily and securely, and is easily adjustable. Still, the important thing is to reduce the thickness of the crown by whatever means. I would love to be able to shoot sphericals, but that won't happen as-is with my ginormous camera. Any thin solution is certainly welcome.

no avatar
bigwade
Member
 
Posts: 282
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: NL
Info

by bigwade » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:34 pm

jriley wrote:I didn't know whether it had been finalized a certain way. All I meant was that it would be nice to have the rail be arca-swiss. It clamps so easily and securely, and is easily adjustable. Still, the important thing is to reduce the thickness of the crown by whatever means. I would love to be able to shoot sphericals, but that won't happen as-is with my ginormous camera. Any thin solution is certainly welcome.

Oké, Oké,
but as described before, people want an "out of the box" solution.
So, no existing rails/systems.
Arca rails/clamps from RRS are very,very expensive, the Manfrotto way costs about 90-180 euro extra per MERLIN so we are looking for a cheap universal system.
The ideas are there but now we have to wait for some-one who can make the drawing.
Of course you can make your own crown or order one like I did and modify it for Arca, Manfrotto, wooden rails, whatever.
But that's not the point here :)
grtz!

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest