It's here..It's here  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by tarnis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Yes, I replaced the bluetooth stack from toshiba with microsoft's...it didn't work at all and would just crash until then.

I never had the seperate ingoing and outgoing ports the toshiba stack, it just used one port...but it used very high port numbers like port 41 or higher for whatever reason. Now it's using a lower port number with the MS stack but it's split in two and I have no real options to change it.

When would Papywizard be looking for info to be output to it? It does capture about 6 images or so before stopinging. I would think it wouldn't get past the first one without freezing.

Paul:
Dare I ask how you discovered that? I need to hunt down a phone cord but probably won't have time to do anything till monday. Sounds quirky enough of a solution that it'll probably work so long as you don't tell me the answer :)
Last edited by tarnis on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:39 pm

fma38 wrote:
tarnis wrote:bt device is on com5 outgoing and com6 incoming btw

If it uses a port for input, and another one for output, it can't work; Papywizard except the same port for both directions.

If this is true, I can add another param to split input and output...

This is what my setup shows using MS standard drivers with XP and the Bluenext BN-01 BT-USB adapter.

It will connect from Papywizard to Tronisoft BT-RS232 module configured in Papywizard as Bluetooth OR as Serial on COM8.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Paul

Info

by Paul » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 pm

tarnis wrote:Paul:
Dare I ask how you discovered that? I need to hunt down a phone cord but probably won't have time to do anything till monday. Sounds quirky enough of a solution that it'll probably work so long as you don't tell me the answer :)

well, first I operated the Merlin via serial cable and ttl converter ...
then my BT-module arrived and switched to BT, but it did not run out of the box
so I switched forth and back between serial and BT and suddenly it worked, but I had forgotten to unplug the phonecord (as extension for the serial cable) and BT works fine

then happy that the Merlin was running I unplugged the phonecord - Merlin did not run anymore
replugged the phonecord: Merlin worked ...

now I'm not ambitious to figure out why the hell I need a phonecord ...
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 am

Papywizard sends some commands to the head, and immediatly reads the answer. So, if your com. was really using 2 ports, it would never have worked.
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm

As in not reading the answer ever and not working at all or it would be the cause of it taking 6-7 pictures and then freezing?

I bought a USB adapter I'll try on my PC in the house...I have 64-bit ubuntu and 32-bit xp installed. Will 64-bit ubuntu be a problem or do I need 32bit?

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 pm

if Papywizard can't read answer from Orion, it can't work at all.

About 32bits vs 64bits, as long as the python interpretor works, it does not matter.
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Is there a way to check if the parallax chip is working? Am I the first to go this route other than Claude?

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi Matt,

1. Actually, me and you excluded, they are 3 others using the Parallax solution and without problems!
So I can say that your problem is "isolated" ...
2. A way to check if the Parallax solution is working ?:
Yes they are several....:
- when you apply the power, you should get a signal from the "control led" ... one flickering!
- when you hit the button "connect" in Papywizard, the same "control led " must light green continuously till "disconnect" is asked from Papywizard !
- from your PC, you can control the presence of the Parallax trough the configuration panel (if Windows of Vista), for Linux I don't know the procedure
- the log file of Papywizard
- the "direct" connection of the Parallax module to the PC, but this could only be done via a FTDI-232R TTL 5v http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R.htm, wih this one you can enter the command mode of the Parallax ...

But I suggest that you manage the trials I have suggested in my previous post:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p40339-2009-03-06-16-24-50#p40339
and that you report exactly the results you will get step-by-step !

I suspect a connection issue between the Parallax and the Merlin or "internal" into the Merlin ...
Testing the module with your "self-made" cable will permit us to eliminate one of the possible failure !

A last question ... when you have established the connection with Papywizard, does the Merlin respond to simple commands like "up", "down", "left" and "right" trough the Papywizard interface ? ...
It can also be possible that the Merlin is macanically defect or bad "tuned" (I.E. bolts to much or not-enough fixed on the vertical and horizontal axis ...)

Could-you make those experiments ?

:cool:
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
hillels

Info

by hillels » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Claude is correct. The parallax solution has been working flawlessly for me since day one. My first small panorama using a Nokia 770, the parallax board, Claude's AWSOME cable, and a Digital Rebel XT using a 50mm lens can be found at:

http://hillelsteinberg.com/PanoramaFrontYard

This is a small panorama (20673 x 8909), and I hope to try something more challenging once I get out in the field! When connected, the software/hardware combo did not miss any of its 222 images (nor the 270 from my first alpha test), nor were any images misaligned. Great job guys!

Hang in there tarnis!

-= Hillel =-

P.S. That's me standing in front of the truck...
Last edited by hillels on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:43 am

Tried the USB dongle without too much luck...same basic issues. Talked to Hillel on the phone earlier, he suggested using regular alkaline batteries rather then the rechargables I was using as they have a slightly lower voltage * 8 which could be the source of my issue? Will pick some up tomorrow.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:03 am

No, batteries are not the problem. The head only needs 7V to run (maybe only 6V). If the original remote control works, it should work.
Frédéric

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 am

Hi Matt,

How have you try the USB dongle ? what is the type of dongle, Manufacturer, Reference ...
How do you have connect to:

-Parallax ?
-Merlin ?
-PC ?

You have not answered my previous questions, and this is very difficult to give you any suggestions.

(P.S. I fully confirm wat say Fréderic about the batteries)

:(
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:14 am

thought I had across a few posts but...

1. Be sure that the batteries are fresh ...
Batteries were fully charged, also have tried regular alkaline batteries with the same results

2. Plug in the "original remote controler" and ,when the power is applied, see if some of the buttons are "blinking" or not.
Lights blink, head also works when using just the remote

3. Use the original remote controler in all axes in order to see if the head respond normally, you can also try to use the "cruise and shot" mode and see if the head respond normally.
Please do those tests with "unloaded" and "loaded" mount !
Works ok

4. Power the head off ... and plug the Parallax module into the "Aux" connector, apply the power and see if some of the buttons are "blinking" or not.
Light only flashes on once when turned on, it never blinks...it stays on once connected.

5. Test the working of the Head trough Papywizard with my "cable/connector" and with your "self-made cable/connector" and see if you get the same behavior of the Merlin/Orion/Sky-Watcher.
Done...same results.

I've now tried both my laptops built in bluetooth and a cirago micro bluetooth module
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3399853&CatId=909

Same results although slightly worse with the cirago as in when I just rotate the head with the arrows it's more likely to get locked into rotating and not stopping then with the laptop. They both stop after at most 10 rotations and papywizard freezes. If I turn off and restart the head it eventually comes back then I must disconnect/reconnect the hardware in the menu to control the head again.

It's a skywatcher head I've tried rechargable and energizer batteries... parallax module is connected with the cable you sent inside an enclosure(and outside). PC with both Vista and XP.

Ubuntu I should mention I was having problems getting the bluetooth to work on the usb module, it seems to supply a random pin. When I finally worked that out it looked like it was connecting and disconnecting from the module or something. There was a plug icon(connected?) that kept going on and off. Couldn't figure out how to download the papywizard source from SVN to get any further than that.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 am

Where's the log file info?

Set logger level to trace - Papywizard/Configure/Misc.

Run the system.

When it fails go to Papywizard/Help/View Log then save the log file and post the contents here.

Which version of Papywizard are you running?

Are you using standard MS BT software or third-party BT software?

How is your BT connection configured in Papywizard?

What does your BT device(s) setup look like in XP?

Some screenshots posted here would be helpfull.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 am

It is maybe a communication problem (BT). When you press an arrow key, it sends the 'start' command, and the heads starts to turn. When you release the key, it sends the 'stop' command, and the head stops.

Here, it seems that the 'stop' command is never sent.

Can your please send me the log, after turning the logger to TRACE level, so I check if the program correctly sees the release event, and sends the command?

To download the Papywizard svn code, just go to:

http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/browser/trunk

and click on the link at the bottom of the page.

Or use:

$ svn co http://svn.gbiloba.org/papywizard/trunk papywizard

(you will then be able to update it with 'svn up' command).

But be aware that the svn code is not always working, depending of what I'm doing on it. It should work fine, at this moment.
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:48 am

I need to head to work, up way too early thinking about it...realized where there were batteries and tried those and just realized turning off the head for a few minutes(I hadn't waited long enough previously) brought back the software to be able to get to the log.

Needless to say in a 'fit of rage' :) I tried my cable again which now had deeper issues and then promptly started to fall apart at the red cable so I pulled off the butt connector and tied the wires together and then the yellow started to go and I just tied those wires togehter as well. Butt connectors were a bad idea...I'm still amazed by the look and feel of solidness of Claudes. Anyways the good news is I think claude's red wire may be coming apart as well...it just went through 125 pictures as I run out of the door for work.

Will test it out more tonight, going to see if someone has something I can use to test the cables with today.

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:52 am

Hi Matt,

With all the test done ...
I am pretty sure that the "Parallax eb500 SER" is defective !

I suggest that you ask for replacement "under garantee" to your supplier ...

:(

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Matt,

I wil send a new cable to You if necessary ...
Please let me know !

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 pm

If I may ask, I've heard several people mention flashing lights on the parallax board. Should my light flash when it's not connected? It does blink on when I turn the head on and stays on once connected. Can't do much till I get home about any of it but was wondering.

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Claude, I just tested your cable with a resistance tester and I think it's fine. Red/yellow wires were fine. White/Blue read 214ohm and not 220 if that matters?
tkx, matt

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Usual resistor accuracy is 10%. So, it is OK. 220 Ohm was an arbitrary choice; 150-300 Ohm should also work.
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Will run it again on my cable when I get home...not seeing why it worked with that and not this cable then. Maybe I was lucky this time.

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Matt,

The Parallax module will blink one time when power supply is applied .
It will light continuously when the connection is established till the disconnection .
It will not blink when disconnected !
... and when no power supply, no light ... He he !

As Fréderic say, the resistors tolerances vary from 5 to 10 %, so 214 Oms is perfect ! ;)

I hope that this will work ... otherways ask a replacement under garanty !

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 pm

The log didn't help much, but not sure yet...all I know is it stops writing to the log when it stops communicating. Got RMA's for the head and the parallax chip...usb cable should be here early next week, will send back the head first as they offer free shipping and hopefully hold things off long enough to return the chip next. What a P.I.T.A. this thing is turning out to be.

New observation, I just switched cables again The head is 'louder' when turning and maybe faster...freezes either way so probably don't matter.
Last edited by tarnis on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:04 pm

tarnis wrote:The log didn't help much, but not sure yet...

If you were to post the log here then maybe Frederic could determine what the problem might be.
Andrew Stephens

PreviousNext