Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

It's here..It's here

by tarnis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 am

Well the head arrived 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule, should have the bluetooth module tomorrow and praying the cable by the weekend(thanks Claude). Anyways I thought something didn't seem right about it and I guess I Was right...there's another something I'm needing it would appear to set the nodal point...Should I have purchased/built a focusing rail, or some sort of long strip to move the camera backwards on? Anyone have a good picture of there setup for wide-angle?

I'm assuming I can just strap on my 400mm though and go fire away once the rest arrives still?

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:07 am

The supplied dove tail focusing rail can work, but it depends on what camera you have and lens of course.
If you let us know your lens and camera, someone here may already have the same or similar equipment with the nodal point issues already solved.

Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:19 am

I have a 20D, a 50mm 1.8, a 100mm macro and a 400mm 5.6 canon lenses. Thanks :)

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Matt,

I hope that your cable/connector will arrive today ...

Concerning the NPP settings please have a look hereafter:
http://www.autopano.fr/wiki/action/view/T%C3%AAte_astronomique_Multi-fonctions_Merlin_Adaptation_M%C3%A9canique (in French only ...)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/All_Camera_to_be_pub.pdf

According the last doc (pdf), no modification are required for your Canon 20D ...
I am not "expert" in Gigapixel, but I thing that the NPP is not important with 400 mm lenses.

Have fun
:cool:
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Paul

Info

by Paul » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:58 am

claudevh wrote:I am not "expert" in Gigapixel, but I thing that the NPP is not important with 400 mm lenses.

for sure:
NPP doesn't matter with long lenses, as you don't have crispy foregound objects without focus stacking

I don't adjust NPP with lenses above 150mm
Last edited by Paul on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am

claudevh wrote:According the last doc (pdf), no modification are required for your Canon 20D ...
Have fun

That depends on the diameter of the lens barrel which can be so large that it is not possible to attain NPP without modification of the 'crown'.

As mentioned previously it's not an issue when shooting scenes - for example, distant landscapes which are often the scenes chosen for gigapixel panos - with nothing closer than about 100mm, or with longer focal length lenses.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:53 pm

I understand, but what I am asking is how do I move the camera forward and backwards? It's just an L bracket...is there another piece I can find cheaply at the hardware store readily made or do I need to rig something.

What was included allows me to move the camera verticaly and horizontally but no way to align the front of the lens with the nodal point.

no avatar
DukeNukeIt

Info

by DukeNukeIt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Just curious, with the Canon 24-104mm IS L lens, does the NPP shift when using the zoom function, or is it the same over the entire range of the zoom?

Would it be a better option to go with a "Prime" lens for the best results, or are nominal zoom lenses ok (200mm or less).

Thanks for any help, I'll be purchasing a new lens soon :)

Dave

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:03 pm

tarnis wrote:I understand, but what I am asking is how do I move the camera forward and backwards? It's just an L bracket...is there another piece I can find cheaply at the hardware store readily made or do I need to rig something.

http://www.metagraphical.com/tmp/nodal.jpg

What was included allows me to move the camera verticaly and horizontally but no way to align the front of the lens with the nodal point.

Dismantle the L bracket - it is in two parts held together with two bolts. Then use the part with the mounting screw in the dovetail and you can mount the camera in portrait mode.

Alternatively make a dovetail rail - Frank (bigwade) had one made from hardwood purchased at a DIY store by a local cabinet maker.

I purchased an additional longer dovetail rail from an astro store.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm

DukeNukeIt wrote:Just curious, with the Canon 24-104mm IS L lens, does the NPP shift when using the zoom function

Dave

Yes.
Andrew Stephens

Paul

Info

by Paul » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 pm

tarnis wrote:What was included allows me to move the camera verticaly and horizontally but no way to align the front of the lens with the nodal point.

you can see the mod of the bracket here (in french):
http://www.autopano.fr/wiki/action/view/T%C3%AAte_astronomique_Multi-fonctions_Merlin_Adaptation_M%C3%A9canique

or google-auto-translated here:
http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autopano.fr%2Fwiki%2Faction%2Fview%2FT%25C3%25AAte_astronomique_Multi-fonctions_Merlin_Adaptation_M%25C3%25A9canique&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8
Paul

no avatar
bigwade

Info

by bigwade » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:15 pm

tarnis wrote:I understand, but what I am asking is how do I move the camera forward and backwards? It's just an L bracket...is there another piece I can find cheaply at the hardware store readily made or do I need to rig something.

http://www.autopano.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4867&p=3

http://tinyurl.com/dll47m

grtz!

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Ahhh...ok, now I get it. Unfortunately being in french and the final pictures not really showing how the camera is mounted I wasn't quite visualizing it all. Mediavets description helps alot though. Hopefully have the rest of the parts tonight!

Thanks,
Matt

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:20 am

Well went out for an initial test run and kinda disappointed... not sure if it's one thing or several. The software seemed to be running ok-ish on vista on my laptop after some fiddling around with changing bluetooth stacks. Got home from work, slapped on the camera and it seemed to be working so I drove downtown and setup and everytning that could go wrong pretty well did from that moment.

Is anyine else running Papiwizard under vista? I'm going to try and free up enough space to dualboot to Ubuntu but I'm not sure if that's the problem or not. It ran very slow and just froze randomly or the head would stop moving when it says it is moving and other bizarre issues. Finally I got fed up and was done but before packing I re-ran the same pano in simulation mode and papiwizard was responsive and worked fine(of course the head wasn't moving). *sigh* got me worried about this little investment, I mean you get what you pay for but I'd like something that works at the same time :)

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 am

I suspect a bluetooth issue (transmission problem)... Could you try with a serial cable, instead of the BT link?
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Where would I get such a cable? I'm sure I have a serial cable around somewhere but nothing that would go into an RJ-11 jack.
Last edited by tarnis on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

tarnis wrote:Well went out for an initial test run and kinda disappointed... not sure if it's one thing or several. The software seemed to be running ok-ish on vista on my laptop after some fiddling around with changing bluetooth stacks. Got home from work, slapped on the camera and it seemed to be working so I drove downtown and setup and everytning that could go wrong pretty well did from that moment.

Is anyine else running Papiwizard under vista? I'm going to try and free up enough space to dualboot to Ubuntu but I'm not sure if that's the problem or not. It ran very slow and just froze randomly or the head would stop moving when it says it is moving and other bizarre issues. Finally I got fed up and was done but before packing I re-ran the same pano in simulation mode and papiwizard was responsive and worked fine(of course the head wasn't moving). *sigh* got me worried about this little investment, I mean you get what you pay for but I'd like something that works at the same time :)

May I suggest that you run some more testing.

You don't need to attach the camera - if it's a BT issue then there's no need to bother with the camera.

Just try running some shoots, with the head connected but without the camera, and if you can repeat the problem post the log files here.

Incidentally which camera body and lens were you using when you had the problmes?
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 pm

tarnis wrote:Where would I get such a cable? I'm sure I have a serial cable around somewhere but nothing that would go into an RJ-11 jack.

That would require a different TTL-RS232 interface - and you don't have one.

So let's concentrate on getting your BT-TTL interface working.

Papywizard generally has no problems when working the the default Microsoft BT stack (at least that's the case with Windows XP).

If you delete any third party BT software then allow the OS to install default BT stuff it should work OK.

Are you using a built-in BT device or a USB BT adapter?
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Sorry, I though you have the Tronisoft module (RS232-TTL), plus a RS232-BT converter... If you only have the BT-TTL converter, you can't lake tests.

But as Andrew said, just set the logger level to TRACE (last TAB in the config. dialog), run some commands, and send me the log.
Frédéric

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm using the parallax module and a built in toshiba bluetooth card...I may pick up a usb module to see if that works any better.

Vista doesn't have hyperterminal which the website suggests using to see if commands were being sent so I tried with PuTTY on com4/5 which according to the bluetooth control panel were the ports being used for incoming and outgoing. I can't seem to login and use papywizard at the same time.

My big problem with logs is when the head stops I hit the stop button but I'm guessing it is waiting a command from the head before it will truely 'stop' which never happens so I cannot close the shooting window to get access to the log on the main screen.

bt device is on com5 outgoing and com6 incoming btw
Last edited by tarnis on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Matt (Tarnis),

As said by Andrew, be sure that the BlueTooth Stack is wel the Microsoft or the Widcomm/Broadcom, the Python module for Bluetooth is only able to run with one of those 2!

Then could-you follow the next steps in the order suggested ...

1. Be sure that the batteries are fresh ...

2. Plug in the "original remote controler" and ,when the power is applied, see if some of the buttons are "blinking" or not.

3. Use the original remote controler in all axes in order to see if the head respond normally, you can also try to use the "cruise and shot" mode and see if the head respond normally.
Please do those tests with "unloaded" and "loaded" mount !

4. Power the head off ... and plug the Parallax module into the "Aux" connector, apply the power and see if some of the buttons are "blinking" or not.

5. Test the working of the Head trough Papywizard with my "cable/connector" and with your "self-made cable/connector" and see if you get the same behavior of the Merlin/Orion/Sky-Watcher.

If one of the proposed step fail, please report ...!
Waitng for your experiments.

:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Tried all that :) Same issues. I'm going to try and pick up a bluetooth adapter tonight kinda heading out of town for the weekend and was hoping to be able to use this. Stuff it all in the car and see what happens.

Paul

Info

by Paul » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Matt,

I have a very strange effect on my Merlin:

It does not run via BT if I don't plugin a phonecord with min. 3m wire in the second RJ12 jack.
The other end of the phonecord is connected to nothing.

Whenever I unplug the phonecord, connect PW to BT-module works, but Merlin not.
Paul

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:31 pm

tarnis wrote:I'm using the parallax module and a built in toshiba bluetooth card...I may pick up a usb module to see if that works any better.

Vista doesn't have hyperterminal which the website suggests using to see if commands were being sent so I tried with PuTTY on com4/5 which according to the bluetooth control panel were the ports being used for incoming and outgoing. I can't seem to login and use papywizard at the same time.

My big problem with logs is when the head stops I hit the stop button but I'm guessing it is waiting a command from the head before it will truely 'stop' which never happens so I cannot close the shooting window to get access to the log on the main screen.

bt device is on com5 outgoing and com6 incoming btw

Did you uninstall all third-party BT stuff?

Papywizard connects via either direct BT connection or via virtual COM port under XP on my system using default Microsoft BT stack/driver and BlueNext BN-01 USB-BT adapter (a tiny low cost device bought via eBay).

Same USB-BT adapter requires Widcomm divers and connection via virtual COM port with Windows 2000 - but Win2K lacks built-in MS BT drivers (MS never produced them for Win2K).
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 pm

tarnis wrote:bt device is on com5 outgoing and com6 incoming btw

If it uses a port for input, and another one for output, it can't work; Papywizard except the same port for both directions.

If this is true, I can add another param to split input and output...
Frédéric

Next