Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Using big glass

by tarnis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Any of you out there using larger lenses? I'm planning on mounting a 400 5.6lens with a 20D for landscapes...anything I might be needing to buy or modify?

Paul

Info

by Paul » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 pm

yes, I do: 140-600mm

But as I modified the crown, I can't say, what's going with unmodified one.
My tripod is a wooden Berlebach with tiltable center column, so it can be leveled just adjusting the center column instead fighting with three legs.

Last edited by Paul on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:03 pm

tarnis wrote:Any of you out there using larger lenses? I'm planning on mounting a 400 5.6lens with a 20D for landscapes...anything I might be needing to buy or modify?

Yes Scaffolding and an Umbrella.... ;) I think it depends how you plan to shoot. I would try to use a solid tripod such as a manfrotto, one problem you may encounter is vibration from wind and of course you would lock up your mirror, another issue maybe haze at 400mm it becomes very noticeable so maybe put a good quality UV filter on. I'm sure other users here have some good tips for you also.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Already have a manfrotto tripod, and whatnot that I usually use the 400 on...was more concerned about the nodal point and if the head will be able to life the lens.

Paul

Info

by Paul » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:23 pm

tarnis wrote:was more concerned about the nodal point and if the head will be able to life the lens.

nodal point is no issue with big glass as you normally have no close foreground objects
I totally ignore npp with focal lengths above 150mm

head specs are telling: 4kg load

watch Jasons big glass on Merlin movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuGIoE9QR2E&eurl=http://gigapans.blogspot.com/&feature=player_embedded
Last edited by Paul on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

no avatar
tarnis

Topic author
Info

by tarnis » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Someone had mentioned needing a counterweight and I know Gerard Maynard mentions it in the 'how he did it' section of Harlem 13gigapixels...where would such a thing attach if needed?

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:40 pm

tarnis wrote:Someone had mentioned needing a counterweight and I know Gerard Maynard mentions it in the 'how he did it' section of Harlem 13gigapixels...where would such a thing attach if needed?

A good place for an additional weight is under the center-colum so it pulles straight downwards. Some trpods have center-colums with holes at the bottom part for weights.
Weights attached at each of the legs is also good - halfways the length or in the upper 1/3.

A counterweight for the lens was meant to stabilize the camera´s vertical movement at the crown.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:25 am

I have shot some panoramas manually using a Sigma APO 300mm f4-5.6 lens and a Canon 600mm f4/L lens. I learned that I need to check distances in google earth using the measuring tool and then do some DOF depth of field checks. Most newer lenses do not have marks for the depth of field. I don't know how you would focus on the hyperfocal point without having an object that you had determined with google earth.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Here are some possibilities
1. Important part of panorama lies within a small range of distances and focus on the closer distance instead of the hyperfocal distance.
2. Subjects in panorama all are far enough away where you can focus on the hyperfocal distance.
3. You use a shorter focal length to increase the DOF
4. The panorama is small enough to do some focus fusion (more difficult than it seems)

I did not stop the lens down enough for this panorama and I exposed it for the interior instead of the exterior. I took this 180 photo panorama with a Canon 40D and a Sigma APO 300mm f4-f5.6 lens. I can post a link to the panorama with the 600mm f4/L lens, but the color balance is bad and I shot with the lens aperture open.

You can see people in two different apartments using apple laptops. I blurred their face, but in the future I will expose the photographs for the exterior to protect the inhabitants privacy. You can also see the hospital sign between the condominium and the grain silos on the right.

1. Go full screen by clicking the button on the right
2. zoom in and out by using the scroll wheel on your mouse
3. move around by left clicking and dragging.

http://www.stoneyphoto.com/examples/pearlwaterfront/ZoomifyFullScreenViewer-defaults.htm

Last edited by Castillonis on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey!

Great! Fine lens!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel