[Papywizard v2] Tethered shooting and intelligent bracketing  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:59 pm

mediavets wrote:
fma38 wrote:Starting with 1.9.7 release, Papywizard can drive an external command-line program. So, if you can make some tests, it will be a good start to know what will be required for complete interaction.

If the software you find does not support command-line driving (without GUI), then try to ask the developers if such feature can be added.

I have been working with Frederic and Todd Gibbs of OxfordEye, the developer of a Windows program called Timelord, to prototype an automated extended exposure bracketing system for Nikon DSLRs which utilises the feature mentioned above.

Initial tests are very promising.

More details ....

We hope soon to have an extended bracketing function - which does not use bulb mode - working for all Nikon DSLRs (even those like my D40, the D40X and D60 which lack built-in AEB) controlled by a modified version of a Windows program called Timelord (from UK software company OxfordEye) under Papywizard control.

This will work only with Papywizard (and a modified version of Timelord) running on a Windows XP system (typically a laptop) with a separate USB wired connection to the camera.

If we get it to work then the user will be able to configure an extended exposure bracketing 'preset' for Timelord which will be automatically invoked by Papywizard (via the Python script) at each shooting position in a pano with optional uploading as-you-go of the images to the host PC. We have it working now in a semi-automated fashion, which proves the concept, and soon we hope in a fully automated fashion, including writing a Papywizard data file which will record the bracketing for the APPV2/APG import filter.

Update - Timelord beta 1.1.2 and Papywizard 1.9.7-1 Windows 2K/XP 32.

Well we have a working prototype capable of fully automatic extended exposure bracketing when shooting panos with Nikon DSLRs using Papywizard 1.9.7-1 and Timelord beta 1.1.2 on Windows XP32/2K with the camera tethered via USB.

This uses the Python shooting script feature added to Papywizard 1.9.7-1 to run a third-party program from a command line which triggers/controls the camera rather than using the Merlin camera port to trigger the shutter of the camera:
http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/wiki/UserGuideSvn#Tetheredshooting

Todd Gibbs of OxfordEye - http://www.oxfordeye.co.uk/ - was kind enough to make some modifications to his Timelord software to enable us to test this concept. Many thanks, Todd. (If you use Nikon DSLRs check out his other software; ToneUp S3, Master, and TetherPro)

I can say that we have firmly established proof of concept.

Now Todd and I and Frederic will be working to refine things a bit to make it a bit more user friendly, not that it is 'rocket science' as it stands.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Update 2 - Timelord beta 1.1.2 and Papywizard 1.9.7-1 Windows 2K/XP 32.

Todd Gibbs, author of Timelord, tells me he plans to add support for Canon DSLRs.

Any other brands - other than Canon and Nikon - for which there might be a demand?
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Paul

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Paul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 pm

mediavets wrote:[b]Any other brands - other than Canon and Nikon - for which there might be a demand?

Olympus E-510, E-520, E-620, E-3, E-30
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Paul wrote:
mediavets wrote:[b]Any other brands - other than Canon and Nikon - for which there might be a demand?

Hi Paul,

Can you point us to information about SDKs for these cameras?
Andrew Stephens

Paul

Info

by Paul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:20 pm

mediavets wrote:
Paul wrote:

Hi Paul,

I just ordered the SDK for 29.- € on the Olympus-website.
It is for Windows and VB, VBA, c++, .net
Paul

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:35 pm

Paul wrote:
mediavets wrote:
Paul wrote:Olympus E-510, E-520, E-620, E-3, E-30

Hi Paul,

I just ordered the SDK for 29.- € on the Olympus-website.
It is for Windows and VB, VBA, c++, .net

Todd codes mainly in C# within the .Net framework so may be viable. I'll make enquiries.

Olympus site claims SDK support for these current cameras:

• E-3
• E-30
• E-520
• E-420
• E-510
• E-410
• E-500
• E-400
• E-330
• E-300
• E-1
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Paul

Info

by Paul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm

mediavets wrote:Todd codes mainly in C# within the .Net framework so may be viable. I'll make enquiries.

so .net is fine for Todd
once registered one can access the developer forum too

Olympus seems to update the SDK from time to time
last .net reference guide ist dated 3/10/2008
Paul

fma38

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Do you have to pay for each runtime, or for the developer kit, only once? Is this price for non-commercial usage only?
Frédéric

Paul

Info

by Paul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm

fma38 wrote:Do you have to pay for each runtime, or for the developer kit, only once? Is this price for non-commercial usage only?

Olympus FAQ tells:
Do I have to pay any royalties or license fees?
No. You can freely distribute the DLL with your application.

http://developer.olympus.com/cameras_23.html#67
Paul

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Good!
Frédéric

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 pm

WOW guys and a big thanks to Todd Gibbs, this is getting to be really exciting...

Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
loddie

Info

by loddie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 pm

I second the request for Olympus E-Series camera support;)

Michael Cochran has developed software for controlling Olympus cameras:
http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

A bracketed add-on can be found here:
http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_snapins.asp

Perhaps he would be willing to rewrite his software for external control with PW.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:15 am

loddie wrote:I second the request for Olympus E-Series camera support;)

Michael Cochran has developed software for controlling Olympus cameras:
http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

A bracketed add-on can be found here:
http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_snapins.asp

Perhaps he would be willing to rewrite his software for external control with PW.

I invite you to ask him.

The requirements for a program to work with Papywizard - to provide automatic extended exposure bracketing - are described here:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/p40369-2009-03-06-23-52-18#p40369
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
loddie

Info

by loddie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:29 am

Done. I will post Michael's response once received.

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 pm

between Scylla and Charybdis :( => :o

I used to use an Olympus camera but for DR reasons switched to the discontinued Fuji S5. Nevertheless I'm not completly hopeless because this is a Fuji sensor in a Nikon D200 body but first attempts failled.

I find interesting VBscript being able to use HTML for its GUI and to access the file system but I'm affraid that, besides being limited to Windows and Internet Explorer, this kind of program hardly survives changes from one Windows version to another one (Windows = XP + Vista + Windows 7 x hand-held and netbook versions x 32 & 64 bit versions.)

Last edited by GURL on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

no avatar
loddie

Info

by loddie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 pm

mediavets wrote:I invite you to ask him.

Michael did not object to posting of his response:

I’m sorry but, unfortunately, I do not have time to contribute to this project.

Camera controller is a hobby for me and I am currently too busy with consulting engagements and my day job to give your project the attention that it would deserve.

I do have command-line tools for both Olympus and Canon cameras but they are not currently suitable for your needs.

I see that you are already aware of the Breeze Systems software for the Canons. I would recommend you speak to Mr. Breeze about the Canons. I believe he already has a command line tool.

You could also acquire the Canon and Olympus Mocha SDKs and look at writing something yourselves. Both SDKs are very easy to acquire and it should be relatively easy for a python programmer to write a command-line tool for either SDK. Both SDKs support C++, the Olympus SDK also supports C#, and both SDKs are fairly easy to use. The only tricky bit is the event notification and thread management techniques both SDKs use to perform picture downloads and parameter change event notification. But both SDKs have good sample applications. Personally, I just use a Visual Studio C++ Windows Dialog project, remove the dialog window, and utilize the remaining message loop to handle the threading and event notification.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 am

doc-diy wrote:Currently I'm developing an enhanced version of the HDR-Jack. There will be a rotary switch with 15 positions for different modes like in the SmaTrig project (http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/smatrig/). I'll try to include a external trigger connector. It could be also used to control the exposure via mp3+bulb. This would be a possibility to allow precise timing for non-RTOS devices.

Luk,

Please let us know when this is finished.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
irpano

Info

by irpano » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:01 am

I have been reading this post for a while and am interested in the subject. As i am Still a novice I hesitate to add any input but as i have been experimenting with Breeze and papywizard on a Windows tablet i think that both programs can be run together to achieve the extended bracketed pano.
The system I have is an ASUS windows xp tablet with 4 gB flash memory + 4Gb memory in extra flash card in sd slot. (This I use to run Papywizard/Merlin head in normal shooting).
I installed Breeze remote dslr onto the main flash card and it runs as designed. (Some functions I would not need)
I opened the DSLR remote software i a window and Papywizard in its own window.
I set DSLR remote to Take 5 1 stop difference shots for each location
I set papywizard to take a mosaic of 2 rows by 2 columns (4 tiles)
I then set papywizard to step by step
When Papywizard is at position 1 I operated the camera from the DSLR remote window - taking 5 images
I then switched to the papywizard window and advanced the camera to its second position .
I then took the second lot of 5 images from the DSLR remote window.
I repeated this tiles all tiles were taken.

Whilst this was only an experiment and manually done I believe that if -
IN papywizard a call to DSLR remote was made to run a Batch file with parameters (as in the DSLR documentation)the process would become automated.

I DSLR remote , run a batch file to call Papywizard with its parameters set as normal.
(I called papywizard from DSLR remote using the image editor option. i know its not meant for this but it showed that a call to another exe was possible)

Maybe the author of Breeze DSLR remote could take out some of the unnecessary options and have a papywizard tab that
Take the first tile in DSLR remote, call papywizard and move to the next position, return to DSLR remote and take the next tile , back to papywizard to more to the next position and son.

It seem to me tat the two applications are suited and with a bit of experimenting could produce a very usefull tool for Bracketed panos.
BTW - I use a Canon 30D and only have 3 bracket options available which i find on many ocassions insufficient for capturing the full dynamic range in AUS

Disregard this post if you dont think its contributes in any way
JOhn

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:18 am

irpano good input, as you have 1st hand experience in using Breeze, regarding what you have said and from my understanding this sounds exactly what this project is attempting to do via a command line interface into Breeze...

Best
Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:30 am

irpano wrote:Whilst this was only an experiment and manually done I believe that if -
IN papywizard a call to DSLR remote was made to run a Batch file with parameters (as in the DSLR documentation)the process would become automated.

John,

Yes, if DSLR remote Pro can indeed be run as you describe this can be done now.

See this:
http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/wiki/UserGuideSvn#Tetheredshooting

What is required of the program called by Papywizard is that it loads - from a command line with optional parameters - runs, and then exits without further user input.

I can do this now with OxfordEye's Timelord program as mentioned in my earlier post and it works fine.

The Timelord program is called automatically (by Papywizard using the shoot.py script) at each shooting position. It loads, runs, and when it has finished shooting a programmed sequence of images at different shutter speeds (for automatic extended exposure bracketing) it exits and Papywizard resumes control moving the head to the nest shooting position, and so on for each shooting position for the duration of the pano shoot. If set up correctly the Papywizard XML file will also record the appropriate number of bracketed shots at aexh shooting position so the XML file can be used with the APPV2/APG Papywizard Import Filter.

My lowly Nikon D40 has no AEB capability at all but this system allows me to program extended automatic exposure bracketing.

The only downisde is that, of course, the camera requires a USB cabled connection to a Windows XP PC; Papywizard also has to run on that same PC, of course.

At the moment Timelord only works with Nikon DSLRs but the author has plans to add support for Canon DSLRs, but he does this software development in his spere time and he doesn't have much of that at the monent.

If you would like to communicate with Chris Breeze to see if he will modify his software so it will work as required with Papywizard that would be great. I had thought to do that myself, but I don't really have the time to deal with Chris Breeze, as well as the author of Timelord, and I don't have a Canon camera to do any testing anyway.

Let us know how you get on.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
irpano

Info

by irpano » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:13 am

Andrew, I've got an email into DSLR remote about the batch file to run the application . I,m trying to find where the shoot.py file for papywizard is supposed to reside but cant find it. Maybe I have the wrong version downloaded. Can you help with the setup of the call made to the 3rd party software. I'm no programmer and I'm stating to get lost here.
John

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:57 am

This feature only works with the branch 2.x. See:

http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/wiki/UserGuide2.x#Tetheredshooting
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:13 am

irpano wrote:Andrew, I've got an email into DSLR remote about the batch file to run the application . I,m trying to find where the shoot.py file for papywizard is supposed to reside but cant find it. Maybe I have the wrong version downloaded. Can you help with the setup of the call made to the 3rd party software. I'm no programmer and I'm stating to get lost here.
John

John,

On Windows the shoot.py file should go here:

C:\Documents and settings\<user>\Application Data\papywizard2\
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
irpano

Info

by irpano » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Andrew, forgive me for being dumb but the only place I find a folder called "application data' is in the c:\windows\profiles" folder. Should I Create a folder here called "Papywizard" and then drop a fiile called Shoot.py in. Where do I get the shoot.py file and how and when it get called from papywizard.
(I'm sorry but the explaination in the wiki is not very clear for a novice).
The return email from Chris Breeze simply stated that I should try the dslrremotetest.exe file (Not a great deal of help to me but maybe you can help me figure it out.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DSLRRemoteTest.exe

DSLRRemoteTest.exe is a simple command line application that communicates with DSLR Remote Pro and allows the shutter to be released and some of the camera settings to be changed. DSLRRemoteTest.exe and complete source code to build it using Visual C++ .Net can be found in the DSLRRemoteTest folder where DSLR Remote Pro is installed (usually C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\DSLR Remote Pro).

To run DSLRRemoteTest.exe first run DSLR Remote Pro and then open a command prompt window and change directory to the DSLR Remote Pro installation folder. The run DSLRRemoteTest.exe -h to get a list of the available commands.

Here is the output from a simple session where the output directory is set and the shutter is released (commands typed in by the user are shown in bold):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cd C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\DSLR Remote Pro

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\DSLR Remote Pro>DSLRRemoteTest.exe -h

Usage: DSLRRemoteTest [-w [<shots>] [-i <interval>]] [-a <aperture>] [-s <shutter>]
-h print this usage information
-w <shots> run camera as a webcam for <shots> shots
images are saved as webcam.jpg in the current directory
-t <interval> specify the number of seconds between shots when
used as a webcam
-S <camera#> select camera (multi-camera versions of DSLR Remote Pro only)
-C <connect> connect or disconnect from the camera
-a <aperture> set the aperture, 0 = widest aperture
-b <WB> set the white balance or kelvin color temp
-e <mode> set the exposure mode (1D series cameras only)
-s <shutter> set the shutter speed, 0 = longest shutter speed
-x <comp> set the exposure compensation
-i <quality> set the image size and quality
-I <ISO> set the ISO
-c <comment> set comment to be added to images (max 255 chars)
-p <prefix> set the filename prefix (max 255 chars)
-o <directory> set the output directory
-q query output directory
-n don't release shutter

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\DSLR Remote Pro>DSLRRemoteTest.exe -n -o C:\Photos -q

Output directory: C:\Photos\2007-01-15\

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\DSLR Remote Pro>DSLRRemoteTest.exe

Success, image saved as: C:\Photos\2007-01-15\IMG_0001.JPG

C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\DSLR Remote Pro>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I take it that after running this file with certain parameters ( -S -C -h etc) that it will perform these camera functions and then return to the calling program (Papywizard)

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 pm

You need to be able to see hidden files to see the Application data dir. I don't remember how it is set; try in the explorer properties for dirs...
Frédéric

PreviousNext