[Papywizard v2] Open talk - general design, ideas...  

Everything you need to motorize your head
fma38

by fma38 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Ok, the plugin architecture is now working :) I still need to finish details, but I already implemented the Merlin plugin, the Simulation one, and a simple Tethered one.

There are 3 'capacities' plugins can implement: 'yawAxis', 'pitchAxis', and 'shutter'. I don't know yet if having the possibility to choose different plugins for both axis is really smart, but it was more simple to implement.

In fact, a plugin can provide several capacities (each one has its own interface the plugin should implement); this is the case for the Merlin plugin, or the Simulation plugin. On the other hand, the Tethered plugin only provides the 'shutter' capacity.

Hope to release a version soon ;)
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

fma38

by fma38 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:05 pm

2 captures d'écran de la partie configuration...

Frédéric

fma38

by fma38 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm

Here is the documentation of the plugin architecture:

http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/wiki/DevelopGuide#Plugins
Frédéric

no avatar
sjhenry

by sjhenry » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 am

The EOS Utility screen shots are here.

Last edited by sjhenry on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
sjhenry

by sjhenry » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:57 am

Frederic,

I have not yet checked in the code in the source tree. I am able to see the plugin working only when I execute from the papywizard.bat file. When I make the standalone program, it is not working - not only for the EOS Utility plugin but for any existing plugins.

Jones

fma38

by fma38 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 am

Congrat, Jones! This is really a good job. Does you plugin really call the EOS utility, or did you only make the config part right now?

I think I will have to add a parameter to give the plateform(s) the plugin can handle, and only show those compatible... Or just add a warning if an incompatible one is selected.

About the Configure button when the app is frozen, it is now fixed (it was a missing .ui file).
Frédéric

no avatar
sjhenry

by sjhenry » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 am

Frederick,

Yes. The plugin calls the EOS Utility. I have finished the code changes for the Papywizard. I am not able to save the changes to the SVN. I have chanaged \scripts\main.py to register the plugin. I have added a new element called eosutilityPlugins.py in the \plugins directory as well. This plugin is only for windows.

I tried to commit the changes to the SVN and not able to do it. I can send you the code so that you can include it in the next build. Let me know.

Jones

fma38

by fma38 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:30 am

You can't commit in the svn repository. I'll study a way to do that.

BTW, I forgot to add in the documentation that you can put your own plugins in the config. dir, under the plugins/ dir (just create it as it should not exist). Then, all plugins here will be loaded when papywizard starts up.

But I soon as your plugin will be OK, I will add it to the default plugins dir in the svn trunk.
Frédéric

no avatar
sjhenry

by sjhenry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 am

I am attaching the source code here. You can check them in and build in the next version of Papywizard.

The eosutilityPlugins.py is

Code: Select all
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

""" Panohead remote control.

License
=======

- B{papywizard} (U{http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard}) is Copyright:
  - (C) 2007-2009 FràƒÂ©dàƒÂ©ric Mantegazza

This software is governed by the B{CeCILL} license under French law and
abiding by the rules of distribution of free software.  You can  use,
modify and/or redistribute the software under the terms of the CeCILL
license as circulated by CEA, CNRS and INRIA at the following URL
U{http://www.cecill.info}.

As a counterpart to the access to the source code and  rights to copy,
modify and redistribute granted by the license, users are provided only
with a limited warranty  and the software's author,  the holder of the
economic rights,  and the successive licensors  have only  limited
liability.

In this respect, the user's attention is drawn to the risks associated
with loading,  using,  modifying and/or developing or reproducing the
software by the user in light of its specific status of free software,
that may mean  that it is complicated to manipulate,  and  that  also
therefore means  that it is reserved for developers  and  experienced
professionals having in-depth computer knowledge. Users are therefore
encouraged to load and test the software's suitability as regards their
requirements in conditions enabling the security of their systems and/or
data to be ensured and,  more generally, to use and operate it in the
same conditions as regards security.

The fact that you are presently reading this means that you have had
knowledge of the CeCILL license and that you accept its terms.

Module purpose
==============

Plugins

Implements
==========

- EOSUtilityShutter
- EOSUtilityShutterController

@author: Jones Henry Subbiah
@copyright: (C) 2007-2009 FràƒÂ©dàƒÂ©ric Mantegazza
@license: CeCILL
"""

__revision__ = "$Id$"

import time
import subprocess

from papywizard.common.loggingServices import Logger
from papywizard.common.pluginManager import PluginManager
from papywizard.hardware.abstractShutterPlugin import AbstractShutterPlugin
from papywizard.controller.shutterPluginController import ShutterPluginController
from papywizard.view.pluginFields import ComboBoxField, LineEditField, SpinBoxField, CheckBoxField

class EOSUtilityShutter(AbstractShutterPlugin):
    name = "EOS Utility"

def _init(self):
        pass

def _getTimeValue(self):
        return -1

def _getMirrorLockup(self):
        return False

def _getBracketingNbPicts(self):
        return 1

def _getBracketingIntent(self):
        return 'exposure'

def _defineConfig(self):
        AbstractShutterPlugin._defineConfig(self)
        self._addConfigKey('_eosBracketPath', 'PROGRAM_PATH', default="C:\\Program Files\\Papywizard\\EOSBracket.exe")
        self._addConfigKey('_eosUtilityType', 'EOSUTILITY_TYPE', default='NEW')
        self._addConfigKey('_exposureBracketingStops', 'EXPOSURE_BRACKET_STOPS', default='1')
        self._addConfigKey('_exposureBracketingType', 'EXPOSURE_BRACKET_TYPE', default='3')
        self._addConfigKey('_exposureBracketingNbPicts', 'EXPOSURE_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS', default=1)
        self._addConfigKey('_shootPictures', 'SHOOT_PICTURES', default=False)
        self._addConfigKey('_bulbMode', 'BULB_MODE', default=False)
        self._addConfigKey('_baseBulbExposure', 'BASE_BULB_EXPOSURE', default=1)
        self._addConfigKey('_focusBracketMode', 'FOCUS_MODE', default=False)
        self._addConfigKey('_focusDirection', 'FOCUS_DIRECTION', default='FAR')
        self._addConfigKey('_focusStep', 'FOCUS_STEP', default='MEDIUM')
        self._addConfigKey('_focusStepCount', 'FOCUS_STEP_COUNT', default=1)
        self._addConfigKey('_focusBracketingNbPictures', 'FOCUS_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS', default=1)

def activate(self):
        Logger().trace("EOSUtilityShutter.activate()")

def shutdown(self):
        Logger().trace("EOSUtilityShutter.shutdown()")

def lockupMirror(self):
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.lockupMirror(): Not possible with EOS Utility")
        return 0

def shoot(self, bracketNumber):
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): EOSBracket Path '%s'..." % self._config['PROGRAM_PATH'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): EOS Utility Type '%s'..." % self._config['EOSUTILITY_TYPE'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Exposure Bracketing Stops '%s'..." % self._config['EXPOSURE_BRACKET_STOPS'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Exposure Bracketing Type '%s'..." % self._config['EXPOSURE_BRACKET_TYPE'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Exposure Bracketing NB Pictures '%s'..." % self._config['EXPOSURE_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Shoot Pictures? '%s'..." % self._config['SHOOT_PICTURES'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Bulb Mode? '%s'..." % self._config['BULB_MODE'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Base Bulb Exposure (in secs) '%s'..." % self._config['BASE_BULB_EXPOSURE'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Focus Bracket Mode '%s'..." % self._config['FOCUS_MODE'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Focus Direction '%s'..." % self._config['FOCUS_DIRECTION'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Focus Step Mode '%s'..." % self._config['FOCUS_STEP'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Focus Step Count '%s'..." % self._config['FOCUS_STEP_COUNT'])
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): Focus Bracketing NB Pictures '%s'..." % self._config['FOCUS_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS'])

cmdLineArgs  =self._config['PROGRAM_PATH']

cmdLineArgs += " CL "

cmdLineArgs += self._config['EOSUTILITY_TYPE'] + " "

cmdLineArgs += self._config['EXPOSURE_BRACKET_STOPS'] + " "

cmdLineArgs += self._config['EXPOSURE_BRACKET_TYPE'] + " "

cmdLineArgs += str(self._config['EXPOSURE_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS']) + " "

if self._config['SHOOT_PICTURES']:
         cmdLineArgs += "Y "
     else:
         cmdLineArgs += "N "

if self._config['BULB_MODE']:
         cmdLineArgs += "Y "
     else:
         cmdLineArgs += "N "

cmdLineArgs += str(self._config['BASE_BULB_EXPOSURE']) + " "

if self._config['FOCUS_MODE']:
         cmdLineArgs += "Y "
     else:
         cmdLineArgs += "N "

cmdLineArgs += self._config['FOCUS_DIRECTION'] + " "

cmdLineArgs += self._config['FOCUS_STEP'] + " "

cmdLineArgs += str(self._config['FOCUS_STEP_COUNT']) + " "

cmdLineArgs += str(self._config['FOCUS_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS'])

Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): cmdLineArgs '%s'..." % cmdLineArgs)

# Launch external command
        args = cmdLineArgs.split()
        p = subprocess.Popen(args, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

# Wait end of execution
        stdout, stderr = p.communicate()
        if stderr:
            Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): stderr:\n%s" % stderr)
        Logger().debug("EOSUtilityShutter.shoot(): stdout:\n%s" % stdout)

return p.returncode

class EOSUtilityShutterController(ShutterPluginController):
    def _defineGui(self):
        ShutterPluginController._defineGui(self)
        self._addWidget('Main', "EOS Bracket path", LineEditField, (), 'PROGRAM_PATH')
        self._addWidget('Main', "EOS Utility Type", ComboBoxField, (['OLD', 'NEW'],), 'EOSUTILITY_TYPE')
        self._addWidget('Main', "Exposure Bracketing Stops", ComboBoxField, (['1/3', '2/3', '1', '1 1/3', '1 2/3', '2', '2 1/3', '2 2/3', '3', '3 1/3', '3 2/3', '4', '4 1/3', '4 2/3', '5', '5 1/3', '5 2/3', '6'],), 'EXPOSURE_BRACKET_STOPS')
        self._addWidget('Main', "Exposure Bracketing Type", ComboBoxField, (['1', '2', '3'],), 'EXPOSURE_BRACKET_TYPE')
        self._addWidget('Main', "Exposure Bracketing Picture Count", SpinBoxField, (1, 99), 'EXPOSURE_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS')
        self._addWidget('Main', "Shoot Pictures", CheckBoxField, (), 'SHOOT_PICTURES')
        self._addTab('Bulb')
        self._addWidget('Bulb', "Bulb Exposure Mode", CheckBoxField, (), 'BULB_MODE')
    self._addWidget('Bulb', "Base Bulb Exposure (in secs)", SpinBoxField, (1, 99), 'BASE_BULB_EXPOSURE')
    self._addTab('Focus')
    self._addWidget('Focus', "Focus Bracket Mode", CheckBoxField, (), 'FOCUS_MODE')
    self._addWidget('Focus', "Focus Direction", ComboBoxField, (['FAR', 'NEAR'],), 'FOCUS_DIRECTION')
    self._addWidget('Focus', "Focus Step Mode", ComboBoxField, (['SMALL', 'MEDIUM', 'LARGE'],), 'FOCUS_STEP')
    self._addWidget('Focus', "Focus Step Count", SpinBoxField, (1, 99), 'FOCUS_STEP_COUNT')
        self._addWidget('Focus', "Focus Bracketing Picture Count", SpinBoxField, (1, 99), 'FOCUS_BRACKETING_NB_PICTS')

def register():
    """ Register plugins.
    """
    PluginManager().register(EOSUtilityShutter, EOSUtilityShutterController)

The main.py has couple of lines of change. That is below.

Code: Select all
from papywizard.plugins.eosutilityPlugins import register
        register()

You can also change this code if it is not in line with the rest of the plug-ins.

In order to use this plugin, the users have to make a stand alone executable from the script mentioned in the thread http://www.autopano.net/forum/t5693-thethered-bracketing-with-eos-utility-and-papywizard Then the EOS Utility plugin needs to know where the executable is. The "EOS Bracket path" field in the Main tab will have the executable's full path.

Jones
Last edited by sjhenry on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

by fma38 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 am

Jones, could you send me the latest version of your plugin, so I can add it in teh core application? I made minor changes in the plugin structure, so I will update yours, and commit it.
Frédéric

no avatar
sjhenry

by sjhenry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Frederic, the code I have attached here is the latest version of the plugin. You can build the Papywizard with this code for the plugin.

Jones

fma38

by fma38 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 am

Sammy B wrote:i have a new canon 5dmk2 ready to go with the shutter adapter cable to the head working. i really want to get the time lapse functions working as it is extremely good with a still camera.

what i would like to get working in the software is the ability to make the head move from a 2 axis graph buy plotting a line that you can fine tune then run as a precise camera move. Then you could apply change of speed in 2 ways.

-The total time from to start to end of pan/move and the speed key frames on the line in the graph. You could then select if you want a continuous pan/tilt move or a move>stop>move>shoot..... that way if you do stop motion or long exposure timelapse the shot is steddy not blur from the move ment during exposue.

you also need to be able to control the frames per second (fps) of the camera and hopefully build an interface for canon live view to work together easily for HDR bracketing timelapse.

your help or advise on who to talk to get this working would be great :) is there any other software to control this head?

Sammy, I moved this part of you message in the correct part of the forum...

I didn't start to work on the timelapse feature yet; I hope bluetooth will work on MacOS with the latest dev. release, so I can release a new stable version. Then, I will start to work on timelapse.

About the graph, this is exactly the way I plan to implement things. In fact, some other users proposed to move the head to different points, and record them. Once all points are done, it will be possible to re-run the same moves. The curve could be used as it (lines), or transformed in a smooth curve, using Bezier functions or so.

About the ability to trigger the shutter while moving, I don't know yet if it will be possible; I have to make some tests first.

There are some atronomic software able to drive this head, but I don't know if they can do timelapse...
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

by irpano » Thu May 07, 2009 3:01 am

I had similar concerns as Claudevh with the difference between the config Button and the Preferences tab. I understand that when developing an application things are put in places for convevience at the time.
What about relocating the preferences option into a tab on configuration so that when using The app one woul set the configuration up first 9Including what plugin you wanted to use ) and then made the connection and take the mosaic or whatever. This would mean that sequentially you set up for the shoot all from the one spot (Maybe a problem programming wise)
John
Last edited by irpano on Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

by fma38 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:51 am

irpano, I don't know why such behaviour. What distro are you using?

About the Preferences dialog within the Configure dialog, I don't agree; the first one are things to setup *before* you can correctly use Papywizard; the second one is for setting up the pano...

I plan to make some sort of Wizard, to setup main things; it will be possible, there, to mix things from the Preferences dialog and from Configuration dialog.

We should maybe find better names for these dialogs...
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

by irpano » Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 am

Frederic, Sorry but I cant make head not tail of the word can you rephrase
" What 'distro' are you using?

Ok i accept your point about the --- the first one are things to setup *before* you can correctly use Papywizard; the second one is for setting up the pano...
So How about arranging the tabs or buttons so that one follows a sequence to first decide how you are to use PW ( Just with normal control for single exposure tiles - or multi exposure tiles - --- Selecting the Plugin or whatever) then setting the parameters for the camera and connections (configure) and then setting the parameters in the main window for number of exposures etc.
Maybe other people have a different approach to their panos and I'm happy to fit it with the concensious.

fma38

by fma38 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 am

This what I would like to do with the wizard: a sequence in which you will be able to configure things from scratch. Once this is done, it is better to have things in logical places. For example, you won't need to change the hardware preferences very often, so it should not be in the configure dialog, as there are already a lot of tabs...
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

by irpano » Sat May 09, 2009 5:07 am

Frederic, ive had some thoughts on the layout of papywizard and can offer some suggestions along the lines of your last post.
Can you run an EXE file and if so I can send you a windows mockup of the layout that might work. If not I might be able to send a PDF showing the various options that would be in the EXE file.
Just a suggestion and I dont want to horn in on your great work. (maybe we should transfer this topic to -OPEN TALK - GENERAL DESIGN
Keep slugging away
John

fma38

by fma38 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:24 am

Ok, I moved this topic here...

Yes, feel free to send me the .exe; alos join the pdf, in case I can't read it. You could maybe put it on your web site, so other guys can have a look at it...
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

by irpano » Sun May 10, 2009 7:13 am

Frederic, Hera are a few suggestions for the new layout (Maybe) Hope they may be of some use.
John
http://dnirman.jalbum.net/Papytest/Layout.pdf
Last edited by irpano on Sun May 10, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

by fma38 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks. I'll carefully read your suggestions.
Frédéric

no avatar
GunnarK

by GunnarK » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:11 am

Hello Frederic,

Thanks very much for providing the code. I see you are analyzing the thumbnail image, which of course is much quicker as analyzing the whole image. It has the added advantage that you can also analyze RAW images, since they include a thumbnail as well.
One assumption that has to be valid for this is that analyzing the thumbnail of a JPEGed version of the RAW file is giving similar results than analyzing the RAW directly. Obviously, you might fail to find very small highlights, which are not sampled in the thumbnail, but I think they might be neglegible.
And, you get the color processing, which the RAW file doesnt have, so one might try to keep the processing which takes place for converting to JPEG to a minimum.
I think it is a valid assumption to make.

I will try to play around with the code and post if i make any improvements.

Now for the "timewarp" i mentioned:
One can think of this of having two curves for defining the position and time of the camera.
One curve is strictly for the position of the camera.
The curve is defined by a list of points, which have X and Y coordinates , for yaw and pitch. The curve is defined by a certain interpolation from one point to the next (Linear, B-Spline, Hermite, or other). We could parametrize the curve from 0 to 1, 0 being the beginning, 1 the end.

The other curve is strictly for the time. Here, we have the curve which defines the time against the position on the path. So the time is on the X-Axis, the Value "along the path" is on the Y-Axis.
For example, if we have a straight line passing from (0,0) to (1,1) we would make the camera move just like without this curve. But if we make this line form (1,0) to (0,1), we would invert the direction of movement.
One could also think about a curve being defined by more than two points, eg (0,0) (0.5,1) (1,0) which would make the rig move from the start of the path to the end of the path and to the start again.

The camera path itself is never changed, just the time when the camera is at a certain position along the path, is.

One of the reasons for this is, when you shoot timelapse, you sometimes want the camera at a hold in the beginning or the end (standing still for the first or last few pics). With a "timewarp" curve which has a slope of 0 at these positions, and gradually changes the slope away from 0, you would "ease-in"
or "ease-out" into/out of such a move. Otherwise, you would need to set two points of the camera position curve atop each other, to have a "hold".

Hmm, not shure if this helps explaining the issue, but if not, just tell me i need more effort to express myself more clearly...

Now I'm off to read the "general design - ideas" to be up to date on what all the input is, and I guess further posts might rather belong there... feel free to move this post if you see fit...

Gunnar

no avatar
tarnis

by tarnis » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:25 pm

A thought I've had and I don't know how possible it is. With all these new 'mobile devices' coming out be they android phones, even smaller netbooks or whatever else have you would it be possible the create a 'scaleable' interface? No matter what the resolution of the screen it would run at full screen and adjust the font and button sizes to fit...maybe SVG icons to keep then scaleable as well. I have to admitt it's very hard to see the interface on my s10e in the sun, wouldn't be quite as bad if the buttons were bigger though.

Have changed my theme in ubuntu to high contrast to help a bit but I think if the papywizard window were bigger it may help quite a bit in the readability dept and I'm not typically doing anything else with it when I'm running papywizard anyways.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:32 pm

You could use a Papywizard stylesheet - but there's currently no documentation for these.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

fma38

by fma38 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:49 pm

Frédéric

Paul

by Paul » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:07 am

pls add to (my) feature wishlist:

user configurable file (xml?) to select different lens settings via a drop down - similar to presets

as I have some preferred lens settings with my cam/lens-combo it would be more comfort to pick one setting from drop down list

may be I am dreaming ...
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

PreviousNext

Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard