Making the connection  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:48 pm

There are two similar sockets - on my Merlin one is labelled HC and the other AUX - they are wired in parallel - so it is possible to plug the TTL-BT interface in one and the HC in the other.
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Paul

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Paul » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:21 pm

irpano wrote:How can you have both plugged in at the same time or do you start the head with the hand controller and then replace it with the BT module.
John

John, I plug in both

Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Irpano,

When you try to connect using the virtual serial Port, you should type in "COM8" or "COM9" ...
In your screen shot, I have seen that you have used "0" in the Papywizard dialog box and Papywizard answer "could not open port "COM1" (very confusing "0" means "COM1") ....

Could-you repeat your test with typing "COM8" or "COM9" in the Papywizard dialog box ?

Another strange thing is that you couln't connect the BT module with the Passkey = "1234", this is really abnormal !
Could-you try a new connection with this Passkey = "1234" again ?

:cool:

:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
irpano

Topic author
Info

by irpano » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:46 am

Ok claude,
Here is where i am at with consistant results from all of the computers I have .

I have made the software standard ie version 1.5.5 --- It works on all computers in simulation mode.
I have removed all references to any bluetooth device on all of the computers.
I have UNPLUGGED the BTLink module and let it stand for 2 minutes
I configure Papywizard to connect via Bluetooth and make sure the merlin device address is correct.

I plug in Bluetooth dongle to USB port on any computer
(Check that in BT devices that no device is shown in window)
I turn on the head --- All power light show and Blue light blinks
I open papywizard and click Hardware connect.

A message appears asking for password to connect computer to Merlin eg 1234
After inputting password the "Adding Bluetooth wizard" finishes and the Blue light on the BTlink module glows solid ---- CONNECTION MADE

However - The head does not seem to be communicating with the BTLink module,
because (In laymans terms) the whole setup freezes and requires the BTLink module to be unplugged and the reference to the Merlin bluetooth device removed from the Bluetooth devices. ( It seems to me that head needs to communicate with the module to say that is is in a state ready for commands but is not doing so)

If I repeat the process as I describe the same results are repeated each time BUT I must UNPLUG the BTLink module.

I'm trying to contact the supplier of the Merlin head to see If I can get service and check out if the problem with the Hand controller is also a problem with the head electronics
(The hard part is finding out what the electronics are doing)
Here is the Log file showing what is happening
http://dnirman.jalbum.net/Temp/Papy%20log.pdf
Last edited by irpano on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 am

I am not yet convinced that the baud rate is set correctly in the BTLink adapter.

So for one more time let's see if we can get this all working before you seek a replacement Merlin unit from the retailer.

Do a hardware reset on the BTLink to set config. back to factory default - see documentation for the BTLink.

Slide the DCE/DTE switch toewards the dsub connector for it to connect correctly to the PC.

Then connect it to the PC with ext. power connected and reprogram it using the Windows GUI config. program - setting correct baud rate etc.

After programming use the Get adapter info button to check that the re-programming has taken place correctly.

At this point get a screenshot of BTLink config. settings and post it here.

After programming the BTLink don't forget to slide the DCE/DTE switch on top of the BTLink towards the antenna end before connecting it to the RS232-TTL Tronisoft 4207 module.

Then try again.

1. Connect interface assembly (cable+4207+BTLink) to Merlin and power it up.

2. Connect BT USB adapter to PC then power up PC.

3. Run Papywizard and Configure/Hardware - select Bluetooth and then use Choose button to search for BT devices it should offer Merlin, choose that, entering '1234' for password if asked for one.

4. Select OK to exit Configure in Papywizard main screen select Hardware/Connect.

5. Report result here.

I doubt any retailer will have a clue about the internals of the Merlin head. They certainly would not be able to repair it.

If it is not working correctly with the HC - which of course it should, they sell it to work with the HC - then just ask for a replacement unit (the whole head+HC).
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:33 am

I posted somewhere in the forum a procedure to check if the problem is on the sending side, or in the receiving side, using the log window and the original hand controller... I will put it on the FAQ when I return...
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:15 pm

irpano (John),

Claude and I have discussed your problem trying to get a working Bluetooth connection established between Papywizard on your XP PC and the Merlin head.

We propose a different approach to solving the problem - or at least to identifying more precisely where the problem lies - by eliminating the Bluetooth aspect from the setup.

Instead of trying to make a connection using Bluetooth we suggest you try a wired/cabled serial connection.

If your PC has a 9-pin Dsub serial port all you need to connect to the Tronisoft 4207 module is a straight through 9-pin male-to-female serial cable.

If your PC lacks a physical serial port and only has USB then you will need a USB-serial adapter plus a straight through 9-pin serial cable, you will find them on eBay or in most PC stores.
http://shop.ebay.com.au/items/__usb-serial-adapter_W0QQ_nkwZusbQ20serialQ20adapterQ20QQ_cqrZtrueQQ_fromfsbZQQ_nkwuscZusbQ20serialQQ_nkwuscZadapetrQQ_trksidZm270Q2el1313

Either way you can check which COMx is assigned to the serial port using Control panel/System/Hardware/Device manager and then in Papywizard Configure/Hardware set up a serial connection accordingly.

For the record which precise model of eeePC do you have?

Good luck.
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
irpano

Topic author
Info

by irpano » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:26 am

Andrew and Claude,
I've done as you ask and here is the result of trying a serial connection between Papywizard and Tronisoft/BTLink module
NOTE the same message I was getting before with a BT connection.
MY EEE Model is 701 EEEPC4G-bk008X
http://dnirman.jalbum.net/Other/papy%20serial.pdf
Last edited by irpano on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

Info

by Paul » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:45 am

John,

my Merlin did not run on com "0" but when typed in "COM1" it worked via the serial cable.
Paul

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Paul wrote:John,

my Merlin did not run on com "0" but when typed in "COM1" it worked via the serial cable.

How odd - mine works whether I enter 'COM5' or '4'.

Worth a try though.

Paul,

Do you also need to have the HC connected to the other port on the head - as you do for BT connection - for the serial cable connection to work?
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Tim.Lewis

Info

by Tim.Lewis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 pm

For the sake of information, a hardware serial port is designated COM1 by default. USB adapters can be given a specific port number in the Computer Maintenance area of the Control Panel (XP), probably somewhere similar in Vista.
Last edited by Tim.Lewis on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Ok, here is the procedure to check the connection between the TTL interface and the Merlin :

http://www.autopano.net/forum/p33669-2008-11-29-23-50-01#p33669

irpano, let us know what you see...
Frédéric

no avatar
irpano

Topic author
Info

by irpano » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:20 am

Paul Fma38 and others,
Reading pauls post from the one FMA38 directed me to , I find that the problem is exactly the same as his, IE On the hand controller GUIDE stays on and SET and GO blink continuously.
Ive sent the hand controller back to the agents (Which they suggested was at falt) but Ive not received it as yet (NEW YEAR HOLS) I will contact them tomorrow and see I I can put a bomb under them.
FMA - I Tried the procedure you pointed me to (http://www.autopano.net/forum/p33669-20 … -01#p33669) but as I dont have the hand controller It my not work as expected. (I tried without the hand controller plugged in and I NO return signal from the HEAD)
I expect that I may have to get a new head from the supplier. and as others has suggested, tha batch might be defective.
Be back later and thanks for the help so far. (ARGH!!!! Just want to start taking Panos)

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:45 am

If neither the hand controller nor Papywizard can talk with the Merlin, I think the problem is on the Merlin side :(

I hope these problems don't come from the usage of the interface...
Frédéric

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Irpano,

I will not be the "black bird", but I think, as Frederic (FMA38), that this is the "Merlin head" who is defective and not the hand controler ...
The supplier will say that they don't find the hand controler defective and will eventually replace it but the problem will stay !
Please ask a "global" replacement ....
I am really sorry for you ! :/
Can Paul confirm that ?

:rolleyes:
Last edited by claudevh on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:59 am

fma38 wrote:I hope these problems don't come from the usage of the interface...

Well, I using a Tronisoft 4201 TTL-RS232 module with a BTLink RS232-Bluetooth adapter and I've not had any problems of this sort.

I've never used my Merlin with internal batteris but I can't see why that would make a difference.

The problem with Paul's Merlin does not seem to be quite the same as irpano's problems. Paul's unit will work in certain configurations whereas irpano's does not. In any case Paul is using a completely different interface assembly.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 am

claudevh wrote:Hi Irpano,

I will not be the "black bird", but I think, as Frederic (FMA38), that this is the "Merlin head" who is defective and not the hand controler ...
The supplier will say that they don't find the hand controler defective and will eventually replace it but the problem will stay !
Please ask a "global" replacement ....

Yes, I too think you need a complete replacement unit.
Andrew Stephens

Paul

Info

by Paul » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:12 pm

claudevh wrote:Can Paul confirm that ?:rolleyes:

I am not sure - my situation for now is:

Handcontroller not plugged in:
- serial connect via RS232-TTL converter and USB-to-serial-interface: Merlin / Papywizard works
- serial connect via RS232-TTL converter on COM1: Merlin / Papywizard works
- BT-Module long cable: Merlin / Papywizard works
- BT-Module short cable: Merlin / Papywizard does not work <-- very irritating for me as this combo works when HC is plugged in

Handcontroller plugged in:
- BT-Module short cable and Merlin / Papywizard works

Merlin and Handcontroller standalone:
Handcontroller stays blinking / Merlin does not move
Paul

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:45 pm

The problem with the short cable is very strange. Did you try to make a new one? There is maybe an impedance problem, as it works with the hand controller, and this one does not work alone.

BTW, does your BT module works in 5V, or in 3.3V? It may works with the long cable because of the additionnal cable resistor...
Frédéric

Paul

Info

by Paul » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:21 pm

my BT-module runs on 5V

things went crazy

I just plugged a 5meter phone cable in the HC plug (other end open) and the BT-module (short cable) in the AUX plug

Merlin works

as I am stupid in electronics I can't interpret that
Paul

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Does it also works with the hand controller?
Frédéric

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Paul wrote:my BT-module runs on 5V

things went crazy

I just plugged a 5meter phone cable in the HC plug (other end open) and the BT-module (short cable) in the AUX plug

Merlin works

as I am stupid in electronics I can't interpret that

well - looks like your short phone-cable simply is broken . . :cool:
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Paul

Info

by Paul » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:36 pm

klausesser wrote:well - looks like your short phone-cable simply is broken . . :cool:

???

if broken it could'nt drive the Merlin
the long cable is open ended and has no connection to BT
Paul

Paul

Info

by Paul » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:37 pm

fma38 wrote:Does it also works with the hand controller?

yes, HC or dummy long cable plugged in and the Merlin runs well
Paul

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Paul use the « BTM-222 Bluetooth-Funkmodul » made by Plishka in Austria:
http://plischka.at/Funk_Bluetooth.html.

This module is based on the the BTM-222 module who is originally 3,3v.

Plischka use a LM1117 to convert 5v to 3,3v, he has published the schema
http://plischka.at/images/BTM-222_Basis_V1.8%20Sch.png

This is what I call a « VVC » solution (VVC = Very Very Complicated),and Paul have added more complexity because he use a 9-12v to 5v convertor to provide the 5v needed by the « Plischka module ».

Really this isn't abnormal that he report connections problems (long cable/small cable ...)

Paul, this isn't not a negative what I say, but just to expose to Frederic the complexity ...
I am very surprised that it work ! ;)

If this can help !

:cool:

PreviousNext