All Right...  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
klausesser

All Right...

by klausesser » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:55 pm

. . i examined my new Merlin-head a bit.
And here´s my suggestion: loose the two screws of the mounting-angle (?)
Use only the rail with the slit, loose the fixing-screw by turning the swivel so that the knob falls apart
into pieces.
Take a Manfrotto-camera mounting screw too fix a camera, put the rail into the mount.
To illustrate, some (very quick and dirty made) pictures:

In no.:4 you can see the fixing-screws for the "knee", which is obsolete now.
This way you don´t need any additional items to fix a camera - here a Canon 20D with a manual Nikon 20mm - to the head. The rail is long enough for using up to 85mm lens (tested with a Nikon manual 85mm) while meeting the NPP in both axes.

best, Klaus

Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Rico

by Rico » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Klaus, Thanks for your great ideas!

Regards,
Rico

fma38

by fma38 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Yes, it works fine. The only limitation comes from the lens diameter; there are only 30mm from the the rail to the raw axis, so lens diameter must be under 60mm.

But trekker317 and Fotoplanet are working on a modification of the pitch rotation base, in order to use bigger lenses:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=19115
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:35 pm

fma38 wrote:Yes, it works fine. The only limitation comes from the lens diameter; there are only 30mm from the the rail to the raw axis, so lens diameter must be under 60mm.

But trekker317 and Fotoplanet are working on a modification of the pitch rotation base, in order to use bigger lenses:

Hi Frédéric!

Yes - i also thought about this Manfrotto-mount and rail. But i couldn´t get one this weekend . . :P:cool: - the ones i have aleady are mounted on my manual head.
The way i showed seemed the most simple way to me - the items are there already.
I mounted a Nikon 1:1,8/85mm - it´s about 7cm diameter. I guess 8cm would work also.
After having my spaghetties (aglio et olio, my favourites ;) ) i will try my 300mm manual Nikon lens - using it´s own mountig ring attached to the rail. But i guess i will not use any longer than 85 or 105mm anyway on my 1,6 crop 20D. An 1DsMkIII is planned for the end of the summer.

Now i´m after programming . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:51 pm

fma38 wrote:Yes, it works fine. The only limitation comes from the lens diameter; there are only 30mm from the the rail to the raw axis, so lens diameter must be under 60mm.

Hi Frédéric!

I forgot yesterday: trekker´s and Fotoplanet´s modification clearly is the favourite. Definately more options to use bigger and longer lenses and a perfect matching of vertical-axis alignment.
As i read the head takes loads up to 4kg - do you have any experience with weighty camera/lenses?

best, Klaus

btw.: i think, Merlin is an abolute highlight! :)

Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard