Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:34 pm 

I'm about to implement a custom manual speed. In the current version, the Merlin accelerates at full-speed; it takes some time, and it is not very easy to do accurate moves near the wanted position.

How do you see this custom speed feature? Do you need several speeds? How to choose them (menu, combobox, radiobutton, circular list button, keyboard)?

My first idea was to reallocate the +- keys of the Nokia to that function, allowing to increase/decrease the manual speed. It is more intuitive, as the keys are labeled +-, but I like the idea to be able to point/shoot mosaic mode without the need to use the pen. On the other hand, it is better to point to the center of each side, as it is where the pano is the smallest. So, the pen is needed.

What about the idea of having one of the speed as an auto-switch speed from low to high, after a certain delay? Such feature can be nice, or bad, depending of the implementation...

Also think that there is not a lot of space left on the GUI ;) I plan to move the Home button to the hardware menu, so speed could be displayed here...

Let me know.

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:56 pm 

Why move the Home button out the GUI? That would seem a backward step to me.

If you don't wish to use the +- keys on the Nokia Tablets (and these are awkward to get at on the N810 with the keyboard open I have read) then perhaps speed selection could be via a hoizontal row of small 'boxes' to the right of 'Mosaic setting' above 'Yaw and 'Pitch'? In real life shooting how often do you need to be able to position very precisely?

What would be the advantages of being able to choose a custom speed? I presume this is something that has been discussed previously on the 'French side' but it is a new concept/oidea to me and I don't know why people wanted it.

In real life shooting how often do you need to be able to position the head very precisely?

Do I understand that this custom speed would only be in effect during manual moves of the head via the arrow keys or would it also be in effect during a shoot?

There are many places in Papywizard where on needs to use the pen - I always use then pen as the touchscreen on the 770 is not as sensitive to fingers as that on the N800 and N810 apparently.

Since IIRC you said you can drive both motors at the same time - how about adding arrows between those there now for simultaneous dual axis movement?

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:21 pm 

Ok, let the Home button there...

The custom speed is for manual moves only. It is one thing Klaus asked for, and I need it to. When shooting a high-resolution pano, accurate start/end positions can avoid a lot of unwanted pictures...

About both directions moves, it is possible... but then, there is no more place for speed info :( And you can move in both direction using the keyboard arrows...

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 am 

fma38 wrote:
The custom speed is for manual moves only. It is one thing Klaus asked for, and I need it to. When shooting a high-resolution pano, accurate start/end positions can avoid a lot of unwanted pictures.....

OK - now I understand - thanks for the explanation.