Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:37 am 

Here is a new thread to summurize all questions and answers about the configuration of Nokia stuffs, to avoid too much traffic on other threads.

I created a wiki page (needs some imporvements):

http://www.autopano.net/wiki/action/view/Install_Papywizard_on_Nokia_770_N800_N810

mediavets found a nice application to take screenshots on Nokia:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=18&release_id=837

And here is a file manager, usefull to copy presets.xml file or output xml ones to and from the memory card:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/gpe-filemanager

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:44 am 

As I want to keep Papywizard cross-plateform, it uses paths which are not really optimzed on Nokia.

If you want to add custom presets, just create a presets.xml file in /home/user/.config/papywizard/ dir. To do that, first put it on the memory card (the memory card is the location you see when you connect your Nokia to the USB port of your PC), then move the file using gpe-filemanager (see first post).

To see the .config/papywizard/ dir, just add /.config/papywizard on the path in My Documents tab. I didn't find a way to see hidden files, nor to add a bookmark; I'll ask the developper...

Same, you can transfert output xml data files created by papywizard (they are located in /home/user).

Last edited by fma38 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:22 pm 

Yuk -- I hate that gpe-filemanager because:

At some point it changed the virtual keyboard layout from normal UK English and I couldn't gte that back without exiting the file manager and starting again - that's a total PITA.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get an output XML files from filesystem to the memory card. There does seem to be any sort of multiple file selection, there doesn't seem to be drag-n-drop and File Copy and Paste throws up an error message (see screen capture).

I don't think this is an acceptable solution to the problem. Paul's motto is 'Close but no cigar!' this isn't even close.

I'm sure it is a wonderful tool for Maemo/Linux 'gurus' but it is not for 'normal people'.

I can understand the desire to keep Papywizard cross-platform but there are only two supported platforms - Nokia tablets and Windows. Cross platform need not and does not typically mean everything looks and performs identically on each platform - indeed there are already differences between the Nokia and Windows versions of Papywizard. The best of cross-platform software IS optimised for each platform.

For the sake of better useability I think you need to accept that you need to optimise for each platform.

My feeling is that most users will choose to run Papywizard on a Nokia tablet. And that most Papywizard users will not be Linux gurus - nor will they wish to be.

The whole ethos of APP is ease of use - 'hiding' the complexity from the user as much as possible - surely that should rub off on the asssociated Papywizard too?

If I wanted an engineering tool approach I'd be using PTGui and not APP.

IMO for optimal ease of use files associated with Papywizard that the user is enabled/intended to modify or access should be stored in a folder (or folders) on a removable storage card.

Likewise on Windows they should be stored a folder (or folders) under, say, My Documents.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:23 pm 

Thank you, Frédéric! :)

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:35 pm 

fma38 wrote:
And here is a file manager, usefull to copy presets.xml file or output xml ones to and from the memory card:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/gpe-filemanager

gpe-filemanager does not copy or move files to MMC-Card on my N770

May be the same bug like osso-filemanager:

osso-filemanager
This is a proprietary component that requires source code changes in order to work properly. Unpatched filemanager will work at some extent, but can't delete/copy files placed on 770 memorycard.

The built-in “File Manager” application only shows files in your /home/user/MyDocs directory, your RS-MMC card and on bluetooth paired devices (including linux based desktop see post ). However, there is a workaround.

The list capabilities of the built-in file manager can be used by creating a symbolic link:
open X Terminal Emulator and create a link into MyDocs directory by typing the following code:
cd ~/MyDocs
ln -s / Root
The Root now appears in the File manager. You can choose any name instead of Root or make symbolic links to other directories.

BUT: Copy or move between /home and MMC does not work either.

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

Last edited by Paul on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:19 pm 

Thanks for the tip with symbolic link! I will add a Tips and Trick chapter on the Wiki... In fact, you could also add symbolic links closer to Papywizard dirs:

Code:
$ cd ~/MyDocs
$ ln -s ~/.config/papywizard papywizard
$ ln -s ~ home

About the memory card, it works fine for me, with both file managers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:30 pm 

My experience was the same as Paul's.

I found that using either method to access the filesystem I can move files from the MMC into the filesystem but I cannot go the other way from filesystem to MMC.

So I could get a custom presets.xml file in but can't get the Papywizard data file(s) out.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:47 pm 

mediavets wrote:
I can understand the desire to keep Papywizard cross-platform but there are only two supported platforms - Nokia tablets and Windows. Cross platform need not and does not typically mean everything looks and performs identically on each platform - indeed there are already differences between the Nokia and Windows versions of Papywizard. The best of cross-platform software IS optimised for each platform.

For the sake of better useability I think you need to accept that you need to optimise for each platform.

My feeling is that most users will choose to run Papywizard on a Nokia tablet. And that most Papywizard users will not be Linux gurus - nor will they wish to be.

The whole ethos of APP is ease of use - 'hiding' the complexity from the user as much as possible - surely that should rub off on the asssociated Papywizard too?

If I wanted an engineering tool approach I'd be using PTGui and not APP.

IMO for optimal ease of use files associated with Papywizard that the user is enabled/intended to modify or access should be stored in a folder (or folders) on a removable storage card.

Likewise on Windows they should be stored a folder (or folders) under, say, My Documents.

Even if I try to store files on memory card, it will fail on your device, as filemanagers failed. So, I would have to check if the card is here, if it is writable, and so... I don't want to spend too much time on such things... But we will find a solution for your memory card ;)

Don't forget that Papywizard also runs on linux/PC. There will be a MacOS version too (as soon as someone wants to make some tests). And I'm also looking towards the Openmoko project.

I would also like to find a (simple) way to retreive the 'My Documents' on windows, but I'm not sure this dir is always at the same place on different windows versions. It also changes with the language (don't know how to write 'My Documents' in polish ;)) And I didn't find a var to retreive the full path...

PS: BTW, what differences do you see between Windows and Nokia? The look is a bit different, but this is because of the PyGTK implementation... My code is exactly the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:50 pm 

Did you format the card from the Nokia? Can you write to the card from an external card reader? What capacity are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:55 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Did you format the card from the Nokia? Can you write to the card from an external card reader? What capacity are you using?

No I didn't format the card it was in the 770 when I got it and I have not reformatted it since.

Dunno about the card reader I don't have card reader that can handle RS-MMC cards.

Capacity is 2GB.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:09 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Don't forget that Papywizard also runs on linux/PC. There will be a MacOS version too (as soon as someone wants to make some tests). And I'm also looking towards the Openmoko project.

Hmmmmm..............seems to me that for real world use to control the Merlin head Papywizard only makes sense on a Nokia tablet or just maybe on a laptop.

The world of laptop Linux/PC users must be very much smaller even than that of those few poor souls who continue to cling to their oh-so-pretty Macs.:cool: Is Apple really interested in anything other than iPods and iPhones these days?

Obviously limited demand for a Mac version to date?

It depends I guess whether this project is about 'how many systems can I get Papywizard to run on' or making a reliable and very useable portable controller for Merlin as a pano head.

fma38 wrote:
I would also like to find a (simple) way to retreive the 'My Documents' on windows, but I'm not sure this dir is always at the same place on different windows versions. It also changes with the language (don't know how to write 'My Documents' in polish ;)) And I didn't find a var to retreive the full path...

Perhaps there are some Windows developers here who can help? Windows apps seem to be able to cope with the issue.

fma38 wrote:
PS: BTW, what differences do you see between Windows and Nokia? The look is a bit different, but this is because of the PyGTK implementation... My code is exactly the same.

Oh, some subsidiary app called Papywizard 3D - what is that about?

And Paywizard-simul?

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:11 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Thanks for the tip with symbolic link! I will add a Tips and Trick chapter on the Wiki... In fact, you could also add symbolic links closer to Papywizard dirs:

Code:
$ cd ~/MyDocs
$ ln -s ~/.config/papywizard papywizard
$ ln -s ~ home

About the memory card, it works fine for me, with both file managers...

So you can get files (say, Papywizard data files) from filesystem to MMC card and vice versa?

Then why can't Paul and I do that?

There's also some info here in this forum thread that setting symbolic links screws up something else on the Nokia tablet:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14983

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:17 pm 

I am wondering about: using filemanagers copy\paste

screenshot from \pictures to MMC -> no problem
PDF from MMC to \home\user -> no problem

papywizard_2008.... from \home\user to MMC -> Folder not found
papywizard_2008.... from \home\user to \MyDocs -> no problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:24 pm 

Paul wrote:

My experience is the same as yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:26 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Hmmmmm..............seems to me that for real world use to control the Merlin head Papywizard only makes sense on a Nokia tablet or just maybe on a laptop.

The world of laptop Linux/PC users must be very much smaller even than that of those few poor souls who continue to cling to their oh-so-pretty Macs.:cool: Is Apple really interested in anything other than iPods and iPhones these days?

eeepc (running linux) is also a very good solution. Next major release of Papywizard will be able to trigger the camera through USB, and immediatly get the images on the laptop...

Quote:
It depends I guess whether this project is about 'how many systems can I get Papywizard to run on' or making a reliable and very useable portable controller for Merlin as a pano head.

:lol: No, I don't want to run it on all systems, but rather be able to switch to another one if support stops on a platform.

Quote:
Oh, some subsidiary app called Papywizard 3D - what is that about?

And Paywizard-simul?

Papywizard-3D opens a 3D view showing the head. I wrote it before I own a Merlin, for my tests. And the Papywizard-Simul app. emulates low-level commands of the Merlin head. By default, it listens on a socket port. Latest dev. release can connect to ethernet, in addition to serial and bluetooth. So, I can test the complete application without a real head ;) Papywizard-Simul can also listen to the serial port, but you need to launch it from DOS command-line window, and give the correct params.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:50 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Asus Eee PC (running linux) is also a very good solution. Next major release of Papywizard will be able to trigger the camera through USB, and immediately get the images on the laptop...

I concede that the Ausus Eee PC looks viable but who would pay that much for something portable just to run Papywizard?

http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/2007/11/asus-eeepc-first-impressions-and-gpl.html

I'm probably mistaken but I don't see Linux supplanting Windows - outside of maybe some huge corporations and Govt agencies seeking to save money where they run a lot of custom in-house apps.- any time soon on the desktop and laptop PCs of 'normal people'.

Which cameras can be triggered via USB - Canon, Nikon and ????

And so what - just about all cameras that might be used with the Merlin can be triggered by wired remote or IR driven from camera port on the Merlin head - or perhaps this would become more important with other types of motorised pano head that may be supported later?

Do most people really want to have the Papywizard head controller host tethered by a cable - perhaps TWO cables or will the USB connection also control the head movement? - to the Merlin head when shooting panos? Perhaps they do? Maybe it's too early to tell?

I could perceive that being able to view what the camera sees - a kind of Liveview - on Papywizard host could be good but I don't think that's what you are talking about - or is it?

Immediate acquisition of the pictures doesn't seem that useful to me - but maybe it does to others?

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Which cameras can be triggered via USB - Canon, Nikon and ????

Any camera supported by gphoto2:

http://www.gphoto.org

Quote:
Do most people really want to have the Papywizard head controller host tethered by a cable - perhaps TWO cables or will the USB connection also control the head movement? - to the Merlin head when shooting panos? Perhaps they do? Maybe it's too early to tell?

Taking pictures with a Merlin is not as simple as with a head like NN. I've just made panos this afternoon, and the bag with all the stuff is heavy ;) You need a lot of things (last time, I forgot the trigger cable!), so, replacing the Nokia by a eeepc is not really a problem (except for the money). If I could, I would buy one.

Quote:
I could perceive that being able to view what the camera sees - a kind of Liveview - on Papywizard host could be good but I don't think that's what you are talking about - or is it?

Immediate acquisition of the pictures doesn't seem that useful to me - but maybe it does to others?

Not live view (don't know if gphoto2 can control such camera and get the picture in real time). But it could be usefull to be able to see 1 or 2 pictures before making the entire pano when you put the Merlin on the top of a pole, for example...

Anyway, this thread is about the Nokia configuration. I'll have a look to this memory card problem, as it is important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:09 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Anyway, this thread is about the Nokia configuration. I'll have a look to this memory card problem, as it is important.

Yes, sorry I got a bit carried away (and probably should be for my own good and that of others);)

Yes, the memory card issue is vital for APG to make use of Papywizard data files generated on a Nokia tablet.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:11 pm 

Paul wrote:

You confirm that from the same file manager you can copy screenshots to the memory card, but not the papywizard xml files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:14 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Paul wrote:

You confirm that from the same file manager you can copy screenshots to the memory card, but not the papywizard xml files?

Yes, that is correct in my experience.

I get that 'Folder not found' error message that Paul described when trying to move Papywizard xml data files from filesystem to the card.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 pm 

mediavets wrote:
users must be very much smaller even than that of those few poor souls who continue to cling to their oh-so-pretty Macs.:cool: Is Apple really interested in anything other than iPods and iPhones these days?
Obviously limited demand for a Mac version to date?

Well, people who are in multimedia design amd photography - which i think, you´re not very much - use to use Macs.
I guess that bureau-people and those who are in technical and programming businesses are used to work on PCs.
And then rhere are some who use Linux - in my branche solely as number-crunchers for 3D animation.

The Apple resp. The Mac market is actually very fast growing. I mean: Linus is fine - but where are the professional applications besides of programming tools?
Did you ever try to do pre-press on Linux?? :lol: Or prof. video- and audio-editing? :lol:

So i´m happy indeed to be one of "the poor souls to cling to their" Macs . . :P:cool:

Besides: Apple definitely "is interested" in building great professional programs like Shake, FinalCut, Logic, Quicktime, Aperture, WebOhjects, X-San and some others . . and giving a great platform to other great and famous creativity applications like Maya, Cinema4D, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Avid, ProTools and some others.
Not to forget AutoPanoPro, PTGui, Stitcher and some others . . :cool:

ok - there are some apps. which didn´t find their way on Macs - few apps and some highly specialized ones in the technical business. Nothing creatives really have a big demand for.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:56 pm 

Klaus,

I was teasing.

Yes, many if not most 'creatives' - what does that make the rest of us? - use Macs.

I think that's an historic and lasting association from the days when some of those programs only ran on Macs and then those users stuck to Macs. Which is great for Apple because pro creatives don't seem to care how much hardware and software costs as long as it has the 'right' brand name.

And Macs do look quite beautiful. But these days aren't they just Linux PCs in drag?

I have a charming nephew who is a pro creative and a Mac cultist.

As for me I doubt I could 'create' my way out of a paper bag, and certainly not in a 'professional' manner.;)

Enough....let's focus on getting papywizard working well on the Nokia tablets.

Regards

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:01 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Klaus,

I was teasing.

Yes, many if not most 'creatives' - what does that make the rest of us? - use Macs.

I think that's an historic and lasting association from the days when some of those programs only ran on Macs and then those users stuck to Macs. Which is great for Apple because pro creatives don't seem to care how much hardware and software costs as long as it has the 'right' brand name.

And Macs do look quite beautiful. But these days aren't they just Linux PCs in drag?

I have a charming nephew who is a pro creative and a Mac cultist.

As for me I doubt I could 'create' my way out of a paper bag, and certainly not in a 'professional' manner.;)

Enough....let's focus on getting papywizard working well on the Nokia tablets.

Regards

Hey Andrew - i was teasing too, man :P:cool:

Nowadays you have to use several platforms anyway.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 pm 

fma38 wrote:

Yes, I confirm that.
It is getting even more curious:
I just did run PW and recorded the shooting-xml, and that can be copied to the MMC, but the config-xml not.

The difference is that the shooting filename does not contain the colon as time separator.
papywizard_2008-10-13_20:03:15.xml
papywizard_2008-10-19_19h22m05s_mosaic.xml

----------
EDIT: the colons are the devils
after renaming
papywizard_2008-10-13_20:03:15.xml to papywizard_2008-10-13_20-03-15.xml
the file will go to MMC

Last edited by Paul on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:00 am 

Paul
You win the cigar!!