[merlin/orion] Interface  

Everything you need to motorize your head
fma38

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:14 pm

In the Help menu... But if it does not work, launch Papywizard from xterm...
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:20 pm

fma38 wrote:In the Help menu... But if it does not work, launch Papywizard from xterm...

Have done that and posted x-term output in post prior to your last post.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:50 am

This seems to be a bluetooth issue. I never used that converter, and there are maybe very different timings, either while connecting, or while sending datas.

What you could try to do, is to edit the timeout value. This is in the /usr/lib/python2.5/site-package/papywizard/bluetoothDriver.py. At line 77, change self._sock.settimeout(1.) with another value (try 5). At the same time, remove the # in front of lines 123 and 129, to have more logs infos. Please post the results.

Thanks to post such traceback between code tags, without the additional empty lines, for a better understanding. In the present case, I only need the part after Connecting to real hardware... message.

Hope we will find the issue (it can be a hardware problem with the TTL interface; we'll see that with the additional logs after your remove the #).
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:56 am

fma38 wrote:This seems to be a bluetooth issue. I never used that converter, and there are maybe very different timings, either while connecting, or while sending datas.

What you could try to do, is to edit the timeout value. This is in the /usr/lib/python2.5/site-package/papywizard/bluetoothDriver.py. At line 77, change self._sock.settimeout(1.) with another value (try 5). At the same time, remove the # in front of lines 123 and 129, to have more logs infos. Please post the results.

Thanks to post such traceback between code tags, without the additional empty lines, for a better understanding. In the present case, I only need the part after Connecting to real hardware... message.

Hope we will find the issue (it can be a hardware problem with the TTL interface; we'll see that with the additional logs after your remove the #).

How do I know line numbers. I only have Notepad or Word pad in which I can edit the file on my Windows PC?

I can use a string search to fiund the time out value but I don't know which lines to remove the # from for additional logging.

When/ if I do manager to do this how can I get the data from the log file - I can view it from Hepl/View logs (with luck) but how to find the log file so I can get it's contents?

BTW attempting to rename a file in gpe-filemanager crashes the program and how can you make a copy of a file in same directory using gpe-filemanager?
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 am

fma38 wrote:TThis is in the /usr/lib/python2.5/site-package/papywizard/bluetoothDriver.py.

I think that is in fact /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/bluetoothDriver.py

Is that correct?

Anyway.

I moved the file to MMC then was able to edit from Win PC.

Now I can't get the modified file back into the file system using gpe-filemanager.

When I attempt to copy and paste the file from MMC to filesystem I get an error message - access denied.

What now?

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Paul

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Paul » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 am

N770
it may be helpful too: install gconf-editor (maemo extras bora)

under /system/bluetooth/device/(your BT-Mac-Adress) it tells you how the BT-device is configured
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 am

Sorry: I forgot to tell you that you need to be root... Copy it from xterm, after sudo gainroot, using 'cp' command.

BTW, there is a nice editor on Nokia: pygtkeditor. But you will still need to be root to copy back teh file to the correct place...
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 am

fma38 wrote:Sorry: I forgot to tell you that you need to be root... Copy it from xterm, after sudo gainroot, using 'cp' command.

BTW, there is a nice editor on Nokia: pygtkeditor. But you will still need to be root to copy back teh file to the correct place...

Ugh........I looked up syntax of cp command but still cannot copy that file back.

It tells me that the file exists on destination directory - but gives no option to overwrite.

Do I have to delete the file before I can copy the modified version into the target directory?

I found and installed ptgteditor but cannot get to grips with it at all - it does not display line numbers anyway.

It is a real pain trying to enter lots of text using the virtual keyboard from command prompt - takes me way back to CP/M days and I'd hoped never to have to return to that even with a real keyboard.

Here's what I tried:

sudo gainroot

# cd /media/mmc1/Btpy (that to switch to dir where I have modified file)

cp bluetoothDriver.py /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/

Should that work?
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:42 am

Mmm??!!!?? By default, cp overwrite the file. Are you sure your are root? Also try to add the -f option... Note that you don't need to give the file on the target side; just give the destination dir.:

Code: Select all
# cp bluetoothDriver.py /usr/lib/python2.5/site-package/papywizard/hardware

or

# cp -f bluetoothDriver.py /usr/lib/python2.5/site-package/papywizard/hardware
Frédéric

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:45 am

mediavets wrote:It is a real pain trying to enter lots of text using the virtual keybard from command prompt - takes me way back to CP/M days and I'd hoped never to have to return to that even with a real keyboard.

It's a matter of habit ;) But the shell is nice: hitting the TAB key activate the completion; so, just start the begin of the path, and it will complete as long as it can. Then, add a few chars, and hit TAB again. This is *really* usefull!
Last edited by fma38 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 pm

fma38 wrote:
mediavets wrote:It is a real pain trying to enter lots of text using the virtual keybard from command prompt - takes me way back to CP/M days and I'd hoped never to have to return to that even with a real keyboard.

It's a matter of habit ;) But the shell is nice: hitting the TAB key activate the completion; so, just start the begin of the path, and it will complete as long as it can. Then, add a few chars, and hit TAB again. This is *really* usefull!

Yes REALLY useful - thanks for the tip.

-f seems to have done the trick.

Have to take a break now but will get back to testing again ASAP.

As an aside - I dropped my 770 yesterday onto a concrete block path - it bounced a couple of times but survived, though the metal cover suffered a bit. I wonder whether the 800 or 810 would have survived?

My Merlin head was supplied with the battery holders missing - I've been running it on a 12V 500ma manis adpeter while tryomng to get the whole setup working with Paywizard/Nokia 770.

The seller - a week after promising to have the missing battery holders sent to me - now after another chase-up phone call wants to have the whole head package collected by carrier and returned to the ditributor who will then send out a whole new head package. Which means I'll be without a Merlin for a few days. What a PITA, particularly since the distributor is based just 14 miles from me ,but they won't deal with end-customers! Whatever happened to good old-fashioned 'customer service'?
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:30 pm

If I want to test Merlin from Windos version of papywizard via wired serial connection:

1. What sort of serial cable do I need a 'normal' serial cable or a null-modem serial cable?

2. I have the link set on the 4201 serial-TTL module to provide 9V on pin9 - do I need to remove that again if I want to use a wired serial connection from a PC?

I though this might be away or ruling-in or ruling-out hardware probolems with the 4201 module?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
GURL

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by GURL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 pm

:lol:, nothing more!

Mediavets, just repeat 7 times, every morning and every night, "I believe in Unix, Linux and Thorvald." Then, seven years latter in the worst case, the light will come (or come back if you are a apostate, as I am)!

Pygtkeditor: Ed-like, Emacs-like or Vi-like?
Georges

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 pm

fma38 wrote:This seems to be a bluetooth issue. I never used that converter, and there are maybe very different timings, either while connecting, or while sending datas.

OK - now how do I get contents from Debug log view - see screen shot - out of there and into some other file on MMC card so that I can post the results you want?

Not sure either which parts of it you weant/need nor how to identify that section of the log - Imean not sure what you mean eacatly by 'traceback between code tags, without the additional empty lines'.

Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:48 pm

GURL wrote::lol:, nothing more!

Mediavets, just repeat 7 times, every morning and every night, "I believe in Unix, Linux and Thorvald." Then, seven years latter in the worst case, the light will come (or come back if you are a apostate, as I am)!

Pygtkeditor: Ed-like, Emacs-like or Vi-like?

You are a *nix apostate?
Don't they issue fatwahs against such people - watch your back!!:mad:

Andrew
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 pm

mediavets wrote:1. What sort of serial cable do I need a 'normal' serial cable or a null-modem serial cable?

Normal cable (you set the bluetooth adapter to DCE, which means Data Computer Equipment).

2. I have the link set on the 4201 serial-TTL module to provide 9V on pin9 - do I need to remove that again if I want to use a wired serial connection from a PC?

No, it is not a problem, as pin 9 is an unused input (Ring Indicator).

I though this might be away or ruling-in or ruling-out hardware probolems with the 4201 module?

You can make the following test, under windows:

Connect the interface to a serial port. Open hyperterminal on that port, and try to send commands; even without local echo activated, you should read back the chars you send. If local echo is activated, you should see them twice. If it is not OK, you have a problem with the interface, or with the resistors/RJ11 cable.

If you can see the chars back, then run the same test through the bluetooth converter. You will have to establish a COM connection using the bluetooth tools provided with the converter, then use hyperterminal as before.

If it does not work, this is a bluetooth issue; if it works, this is an issue with the Merlin connection. Check again the RJ11 cable, to be sure to send the DATA on the correct line.
Frédéric

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 pm

mediavets wrote:OK - now how do I get contents from Debug log view - see screen shot - out of there and into some other file on MMC card so that I can post the results you want?

Try copy from the log window, then paste into pygtkeditor...

Not sure either which parts of it you weant/need nor how to identify that section of the log - Imean not sure what you mean eacatly by 'traceback between code tags, without the additional empty lines'.

I mean use the BBcode 'code' inside [] (can't show it, as it will be interpreted) for the log. There where blank lines after each line of the log you posted; don't know why...
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:24 pm

fma38 wrote:
mediavets wrote:OK - now how do I get contents from Debug log view - see screen shot - out of there and into some other file on MMC card so that I can post the results you want?

Try copy from the log window, then paste into pygtkeditor...

That is what I can't seem to figure out how to do - how to copy from log window?

Does the log file get saved ever - if so where?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:18 pm

fma38 wrote:

You can make the following test, under windows:

Connect the interface to a serial port. Open hyperterminal on that port, and try to send commands; even without local echo activated, you should read back the chars you send. If local echo is activated, you should see them twice. If it is not OK, you have a problem with the interface, or with the resistors/RJ11 cable.

If you can see the chars back, then run the same test through the bluetooth converter. You will have to establish a COM connection using the bluetooth tools provided with the converter, then use hyperterminal as before.

If it does not work, this is a bluetooth issue; if it works, this is an issue with the Merlin connection. Check again the RJ11 cable, to be sure to send the DATA on the correct line.

I connected via serial cable from PC (WinXP SP2) to 4201 with seril cable.

Terminal program echos characters.

Attempted to run Papywizard via serial connection I get this - see first screen shot.

BTW today AVG has decide to identify papywizard programs as containing something undesirable _ others seem to be reporting similar with other programs but only started today - I suspect some AVG 'funny' - see second screen shot:

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm stuck again now because the error described above freezes Papywizard so I cannot set up a Debug log. Only way to get rid of it - Papywizard - after this is via the Task Manager.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:47 pm

mediavets wrote:
fma38 wrote:Try copy from the log window, then paste into pygtkeditor...

That is what I can't seem to figure out how to do - how to copy from log window?

You are right, this is not possible... I'll may add a 'Save' button...

Does the log file get saved ever - if so where?

No; you need to start papywizard from xterm ($ papywizard.sh).
Last edited by fma38 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:00 pm

OK - back to Windows and serial connection.

Here's the Debug log:
Code: Select all
2008-10-23 16:49:47,671::MainThread::INFO::Connecting to real hardware...
2008-10-23 16:49:47,687::Dummy-6::DEBUG::Head.init(): initializing driver...
2008-10-23 16:49:47,687::Dummy-6::EXCEPTION::SerialDriver.init()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 73, in init
  File "serial\serialutil.pyo", line 171, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyo", line 53, in open
SerialException: could not open port COM2: (2, 'CreateFile', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
2008-10-23 16:49:47,687::Dummy-6::EXCEPTION::Shooting.switchToRealHardware()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "papywizard\model\shooting.pyo", line 134, in switchToRealHardware
  File "papywizard\hardware\head.pyo", line 85, in init
  File "papywizard\hardware\serialDriver.pyo", line 81, in init
HardwareError: Can't init SerialDriver object
2008-10-23 16:49:47,687::Dummy-6::DEBUG::MainController.__switchToRealHardwareCallback(): flag=False
2008-10-23 16:49:47,765::MainThread::ERROR::Can't connect to hardware
Can't init SerialDriver object
2008-10-23 16:49:52,483::MainThread::INFO::Go to simulation mode

Now even I can see that it is trying to open COM2: - but Papywizard is configured to serail port 1.

Perhaps Papywizard port 1 maps to Window COM2:?

I'll try Papywizard setting Port 0.
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 pm

mediavets wrote:Now even I can see that it is trying to open COM2: - but Papywizard is configured to serail port 1.

Yes, 0 = COM1, 1 = COM2... You should use COM1 or COM2 in the config, to be sure (both notations work).

Are you using Papywizard Installer? Or from sources?
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:15 pm

fma38 wrote:
mediavets wrote:Now even I can see that it is trying to open COM2: - but Papywizard is configured to serail port 1.

Yes, 0 = COM1, 1 = COM2... You should use COM1 or COM2 in the config, to be sure (both notations work).

Are you using Papywizard Installer? Or from sources?

Ho hum - but of course 0 would be COM1 - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Perrhaps that would be 'commonsense' to a *nix person?

Why not make 1=COM1 and 2=COM2? - then you wouldn't have 'idiots' like me seeking help.

Anyway it is working via wired serial connection (on COM1 with config serila port setting at Port=0) from Windows XP SP2.

So we now know that my cable from the 4201 to Merlin is OK and that 4201 is OK.

So seems that Nokia 770-Merlin via BTLink BT which fails is due to something to do with the BTLink/Papywizard combination. But what?

I am using Papywizard from Windows installer.
Andrew Stephens

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Computers usually start at 0 ;)

About the bluetooth converter, did you try it in DTE mode? Don't think this is the problem, but...

Another possibility is the baudrate. Is it saved into the internal config? Or does it need to be set at every connection? What does the documentation say?
Frédéric

PreviousNext