[merlin/orion] Interface  

Everything you need to motorize your head
fma38

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Klaus, Thanks for the feedback.

So, you friend is make a complete remote which can be used without papywizard, but only with presets... This is already a good thing, as I think there are people only interested in this kind of shooting.

But do you think your friend could also make a simple interface module, like the one we are looking for, to use with papywizard?
Frédéric

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:44 pm

fma38 wrote:Klaus, Thanks for the feedback.

So, you friend is make a complete remote which can be used without papywizard, but only with presets... This is already a good thing, as I think there are people only interested in this kind of shooting.

But do you think your friend could also make a simple interface module, like the one we are looking for, to use with papywizard?

Hi Frédéric!

I´ll ask him! Will give him the link to this thread so he can see what´s going on.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:52 pm

fma38 wrote:Klaus, Thanks for the feedback.

Yes. But you can alter the presets. Either via a pc at home (via USB) or via the touch-screen on the device - we´ll see.

I think the preset-feature will be ideal - it will contain all possible combinations of camera/lenses and shooting conditions. As i recall it can held over hundred presets. Scroll the list to YOUR combination, set "sphere" or choose a start and an end point for a rectangular . . that´s all.
ALL calculations for angles, stops, wait, release and so on are done automatically.

best, Klaus

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 pm

If you can point start/end, this is more than just a preset... As I understand, it does what papywizard does :)
Frédéric

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 pm

fma38 wrote:If you can point start/end, this is more than just a preset... As I understand, it does what papywizard does :)

Basically there are not so much alternatives . . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

Paul

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Paul » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi,
I found this forum today and it was a pleasure to read the hole thread ...

By the way, the discussion around merlin, BT, serial and and and looks very complex compared to the MCU controlled pano head I made at home.
I programmed the basic software using an opensource SDK on my laptop, feed the program into the unit via USB, control the unit via an WII nunchuk, which has an joystick and two buttons. The parts used for the hole electronics (MCU, stepper driver, optocoupler for shutter release, remote control) about 100.- €.

I put some fixed sets for different focallength values into the controller, for the time now it is fine, more respective calculated values is just a question of upsizing the programm. The unit is able to take multirow panos, as well as the zenith shot, like 10+10+10+1 with focallength equi 28mm. BKT is just an option like timelapse is.

Cheers
Paul
Last edited by Paul on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

Paul

Info

by Paul » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks I'll try that :-)

LCD with backlight - glowing in the dark :-)) - is on the back
USB on the bottom

Batteries either either inside the box or external pack.
I did not found the final solution, but I think LiPoly would be the best.

NPP is flexible to set on both arms of the unit, so different cams or lenses are fine.
The shutter release is made for Oly, but other mades should not be to complex to adapt.

The blackbox on the arm is the gearbox/stepper-combo for the tiltmove, for the panmove its inside the bigbox.

Last edited by Paul on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:15 am

Hi Paul,

Your design looks great! Can you tell us more about it? Did you build the electronic from scratch? Or did you use something from a store? What SDK are you using? Wich OS (linux/windows)? What language?

Before you answer, it would be nice if a moderator could move the last 4 posts (including mine) in a new thread, in order to keep thing clear... Thanks.
Frédéric

no avatar
odyssey

Info

by odyssey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Did anyone ever test if the BlueSmirf from Sparkfun worked with the resistors? Would this be a viable control method for the Merlin/Orion. I have recieved my Orion mount today and have ordered the BlueSmirf but the BlueSmirf has not arrived yet and I do not see any follow up on if there was success with this route. Your feedback experience would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I have been on the original BETA test of the Gigapan unit, having had one since December. My user gallery is at http://www.gigapan.org/viewProfile.php?userid=414 .

I have been so dissapointed with all the noise on a small sensor digicam and felt that the gigapans produced were inferior quality compared to manually made DSLR large gigapixel images. I have modified the Gigapan unit to work with my Nikon D200, but it can only use small lenses without causing the servos to slip. I did make an electronic shutter release from the gigapan unit to drive the Nikon and it works well.

I also found that the Nikon was troublesome with autofocus enabled as it would focus at the wrong spot on featurless sky shots and would take too long to make that decision (no contrast) so the gigapan would move to the next shot. I had to use manual focus with the Nikon.

My long range goal would be to use Nikon Camera Control software on a laptop to override the behavior of the autofocus to focus at the hyperfocal point including infinity when autofocus can not find focus, and to have the pan control software wait until the photo is taken before moving to the next shot (allow some shots to take longer than others).

I am not sure if Nikon Camera Control can be interfaced with other applicaitons to work together.

But first, I have this new Orion mount and the alpha of the Autopano Giga and am very excited to start tinkering with this new system!
Last edited by odyssey on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D200, Merlin/Orion with Nokia 800 & Papywizard
Two Panasonic FZ50's mounted in Stereo 3D on some interesting Gigapan stuff
[url=http://www.3dpan.org]www.3dpan.org Three Dimensional Panoramas![/url]
[url=http://www.odysseyexpeditions.com]www.odysseyexpeditions.com Tropical Marine Biology Voyages[/url]

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I didn't yet ordered the BlueSmirf, so I can't tell you if it really works, but I don't see any reason it won't...
Frédéric

no avatar
odyssey

Info

by odyssey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Hello,

I have a BlueSmirf now, still waiting on the Nokia 770 to run pappywizard on, have the circuit built to connect the BlueSmirf with proper voltage regulated to the Orion/Merlin and can connect to the BlueSmirf fine via Bluetooth and Hyperterminal.

But I can not get any response when sending any commands to the Orion via the terminal connection

(Commands as per the wiki on the Merlin/Orion at http://www.autopano.fr/wiki/action/view/T%C3%AAte_astronomique_Multi-fonctions_Merlin ))

I have the two resisters connecting to the TX and RX and the data line, but as per this thread, no CS is implemented.

Is the problem the lack of CS and without it you cant get any response back from the Orion via terminal?

Does pappywizard wait for a response back from the Orion?

Can you drive the Orion/Merlin at all from the hyperterminal connection (I have no idea why not, but I cant get any response either through the terminal or movement of the head)

I have read in the forum that CS is not really useful, but what does that mean?

Thanks

Jason

I am editing this post now:

I had the wires connecting to the Merlin/Orion mirrored from what they should be. The system works fine when its set up properly. When looking at the HC port, reading from left to right the six pins, Pin 2 is ground, Pin 4 is +V, Pin 5 is data.

Yes, CS is not needed.
Yes, Bluesmirf connection works.
Yes, you can drive commands from hyperterminal and will get responses from the Merlin/Orion
Commands start with ':' and end with a cairage return.
No, you cant yet run Pappywizard from Windows using the Bluetooth, makes no connection. The Bluesmirf wants to be on Com7 so dont know if Pappywizard could talk with Com7?
Last edited by odyssey on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.odysseyexpeditions.com]www.odysseyexpeditions.com Tropical Marine Biology Voyages[/url]

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 am

Hello Jason,

First, the CS line is not used at all. It could be connected, but the Orion does not need it.

When trying to communicate with the BlueSmirf from the terminal, do you get back your own commands? As TX and RX are wired together, you should see the characters you enter, even without echo mode activated (with it, you should seen them twice). As long as you can't see that, no need to connect the Orion head; the problem should be on the bluetooth driver side. At least, you could make a test by short-connected TX and RX, without resistors.

Yes, papywizard wait for answer from the Orion; see the wiki:

[url]http://www.autopano.fr/wiki/action/view/Tête_astronomique_Multi-fonctions_Merlin#Protocole_de_communication[/url]

A command is in the form: ":<numAxis><string>\r"
The answer (I removed the command itself): "=<numAxis>[<string>]\r"

Another problem could be the baudrate; it has to be set to 9600-8N1 (9600 bits/s, 8 data bits , no parity, 1 stop bit). I don't know how to set it on the BlueSmirf module (with AT commands, I guess).
Frédéric

no avatar
djcheetah

Info

by djcheetah » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Hello Frédéric,

Great invention! I have been searching through the forums and can't seem to find the answer to my question:

How does Papywizard trigger the shutter on a Nikon DSLR?

I seen some others are using the GigaPan arm to trigger a remote shutter for the Nikon; but I don't see an arm to control on the Orion/Merlin. The specs on the Orion did mention triggering a Canon EOS cameras is this a physical connection or electrical?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Rick
Last edited by djcheetah on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi!

The Merlin/Orion head has some internal electronic to do that; you just need to wire the output to the remote-control input of your camera.

It is hard to find these connectors. The solution is to buy a cheap third-party remote-control, cut the wire, and use the part with the connector ;)

The cable sold with the Merlin/Orion is for Canon, but only for 300D-350D-400D or so; not for 20D-30D-40D and upper...
Frédéric

no avatar
odyssey

Info

by odyssey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi,

I have a Nokia 770 now, flashed with latest OS2007HE, installed Python and Papywizard, have a paired bluetooth connection on it to the Bluesmirf serial bluetooth receiver, which is physically connected to the Merline/Orion.

Get the error on starting up Papywizard when it tries to connect to hardware -> Error, Connection to hardware failed, Can't init BluetoothDriver object.

That's all I know so far. Have searched the forums on Nokia770.org for info on BluetoothDriver object, but nothing...

The pairing of the Bluetooth on Nokia to the Bluesmirf silver receiver needed a pairing password of '0000' (As per tech support from Sparkfun.com) but the Nokia does not have a profile assigned to it, has a question mark for device type. Don't see anywhere to change or set this.

Any help would be most appreciated, I am almost there (so close in fact...)

Thanks

Jason
Last edited by odyssey on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 pm

I think you have received my answer to your private message... I post here for the archives.

The bletooth device adress has to be set from papywizard itself (in Configuration > Hardware tab), because I don't use the Nokia bluetooth stack, but rather the python bluez one, which is available almost everywhere (papywizard runs fine on a PC/linux machine).

Just tell me if it solved your problem.
Frédéric

no avatar
odyssey

Info

by odyssey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi Frederic,

Yes, you have solved my problem wonderfully. Papywizard v 1.0 is awesome! This whole system is now awesome! Everything works fantastically!

To recap what it is exactly that works wonderfully:

Orion/Merlin ordered from telescope.com for $250
Bluesmirf silver from sparkfun.com $50, Voltage Regulator $10
Nokia 770 internet tablet won on ebay for $80
Cable from Orion to Nikon D200 (had to order remote off ebay and sabotage for plug) $10
Pappywizard , umm $0 (Frédéric needs a donations page)

Total $400 for a fully functional DSLR capable high resolution gigapan system!

Some gotchas to avoid: The plug pins on the Orion, know that starting from the left, you need pin 2 for ground, pin 4 for voltage to the voltage regulator and pin 5 for data. Connect the ground and voltage line to the voltage regulator. Connect the output from the voltage regulator to the vcc and ground on the Bluesmirf. Add 220 ohm resisters to the RX and TX lines from the Bluesmirf and connect them together to the data line.

On the Nokia 770, you need to install and use 'Becomeroot' to install Python. You need to connect to the Bluesmirf under connections->Bluetooth and set it up there, taking note of your bluesmirfs address, which you will add into the Papywizard hardware configuration tab.

Do know that the output for camera control is a simple contact close switch, no voltage is coming out of the Orion on this, its just a short contact close between the outer two pins (not the ground) of the three pin micro phono plug. My Nikon accepts this directly (although I have to hook it up to both the autofocus and shoot pins and connect them together. I would like to build a circuit using a 555 ic timer that would allow for an adjustable autofocus period followed by a shutter release event).

I love the way Papywizard works! Its SOOOO much better than using the Gigapan device.

As the Orion is not particularly fast I will probably keep my Gigapan device in my camera bag for low pic count scenes (I have modified it to drive my Nikon D200, but it only works with small lenses - 105mm and less, any greater and the servos slip when the batteries get weaker)

I did notice a curious thing about the Orion/Merlin - after taking off the battery cover, exposing the pan encoder on top of the motor, when panning, if you hold your finger on top of the encoder when its in motion and stop it (keeping the button pressed) and hold it for a few seconds, then stop holding it (still keeping the button pressed), the Orion/Merlin will speed up really fast to catch up to where it should be for that time period that you kept it from moving. If you release the button while still holding the encoder, then release the encoder, it does not speed up, it just stays put. This means that the motors are capable of running 6 times faster. I don't know if there would be any hope of changing the programs on the PICs to allow for faster panning speeds, and I dont know if the motors could take it in the long run, but maybe they could? (its not too slow really, but would be nice if it was 2x faster during shot setup)

O.K. time to go shoot something with it!

How many users out there have a functioning Merlin/Orion setup? Should I hold off on mentioning this on the forum.gigapan.org site (there are lots of people MODing that poor thing right now and from my 9 months experience with it, its not up to the task and should be left alone for digicams, not DSLRs)

My only caveat after using the Nokia 770 is that it is really cool but makes me wish I had bought a 800 or 810 so that the web browsers flash player and skype would work on it (they don't work with the 770 due to various OS and hardware reasons). I really like the 770 though, the screen is 3x sharper than an iphone. Its really cool, I will probably use it for other tasks too. Although the Nokia 770 is fully up to the task of running Papywizard and has a nice hard case screen cover to boot!

Also still not sure what to think about how autofocus works on the DSLRs when the camera does not see something to focus on. I only have Nikon bodies so don't know how Canon and others do it, but when I have Autofocus on, the camera is great and fast at focusing when there is something to focus upon, but a blue sky at telephoto creates problems my Panasonic DMC-FZ50 digicam does not have. The Nikon will spend its shot time trying to focus, then the gigapan moves on to the next shot and eventually the camera will give up focusing and take a shot, it results in either having to have the time per shot really long (3 seconds?) so that the head does not move on to the next shot before the camera takes it, or must use manual focus. As is, frames are missed. Also, when it does give up and allow the shot to be taken, it chooses a weird place to stop the lens focus that is not likely to be in focus for the sky, I wish it would stop at the hyperfocal length for the focal length of the lens so that infinity would be included as well as everything possible before infinity. I wish I could get Nikon to make a firmware modification to allow for this type of focus, its a mathematical formula based on focal length as to where the hyperfocal spot is, so a Panorama focus mode that would try to focus for a defined period and upon failure put the lens in that spot is what is needed. I thought about trying to implement something in Nikon Camera Control to do this but it seems very closed source as to how to communicate with the camera over the USB and there are no hooks that I know of to diagrammatically hook into Nikon Camera control.

OK, out the door now,

Jason
Last edited by odyssey on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
BeeZed

Info

by BeeZed » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:00 pm

Odyssy - thanks for the detailed post. I have been wanting to get involved with a robotic head for a while, and now will take the plunge. Given that I haven't found any good sources in the Southern Hemisphere, I will probably have a friend in the States repackage and ship to me. There is not a lot of opportunity to return things, so I wanted to make sure they were working. I hadn't seen mention of a voltage regulator before. What did you buy/make? Is the Orion tripod of any value? I might have him just send me the head. I think someone in Europe is selling just the head units, but Orion only sell the compete package as far as I can tell.

Though I think Nikons have a setting where they will not take a photo if the camera cannot find focus, and you can probably turn it off, you probably would be better to manually set the hyperfocus point and set the camera to manual focus. If focus changes drastically you can get some weird effects at full resolution.

no avatar
odyssey

Info

by odyssey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi BeeZed,

The BlueSmirf silver from Sparkfun.com is needing 5v power, the Merlin/Orion provides 9-12v. The regulator allows you to power the BlueSmirf from the Merlin/Orion (you could give it its own power supply, I did that initially while awaiting the power supply)

The tripod honestly seems great. Its sturdy enough to support the whole rig and a big lens. Do note that the screw on the bottom of the Orion/Merlin is larger than a standard camera tripod screw so you will need some sort of adapter to use a camera tripod. The Orion tripod is not carbon fiber and all, but is honestly pretty decent.

As per focus, I am interested in using 500mm lens with this to take distant shots of mountains, but even at 1 mile, the depth of field is very shallow and the focus is not at infinity and changes. If just wish the camera could operate as: try to focus quick, but if cant find focus quick so just go to hyperfocal point and take photo.

Good luck,

Jason

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:23 pm

odyssey wrote:Yes, you have solved my problem wonderfully. Papywizard v 1.0 is awesome! This whole system is now awesome! Everything works fantastically!

:)

Some gotchas to avoid: The plug pins on the Orion, know that starting from the left, you need pin 2 for ground, pin 4 for voltage to the voltage regulator and pin 5 for data. Connect the ground and voltage line to the voltage regulator. Connect the output from the voltage regulator to the vcc and ground on the Bluesmirf. Add 220 ohm resisters to the RX and TX lines from the Bluesmirf and connect them together to the data line.

I posted some pictures here, that can help:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/p27797-2008-08-13-20-08-41#p27797

On the Nokia 770, you need to install and use 'Becomeroot' to install Python. You need to connect to the Bluesmirf under connections->Bluetooth and set it up there, taking note of your bluesmirfs address, which you will add into the Papywizard hardware configuration tab.

You omited to say that the Nokia 770 needs to be flashed with the OS-2007 HE firmeware (instead of the default OS2006, which does not have python support).

Do know that the output for camera control is a simple contact close switch, no voltage is coming out of the Orion on this, its just a short contact close between the outer two pins (not the ground) of the three pin micro phono plug. My Nikon accepts this directly (although I have to hook it up to both the autofocus and shoot pins and connect them together. I would like to build a circuit using a 555 ic timer that would allow for an adjustable autofocus period followed by a shutter release event).

Mmm, why would you do that? My camera (Canon 20D), and I think yours, just waits for the AF cycle to be completed before taking the picture. So, wiring the 2 contacts as you did is fine...

The problem with the present version of papywizard, is that it just sends a little pulse on the remote-control (0.5 s). So, if the AF cycle is longer, it won't work. The 'Time value' parameter is the delay the head will wait before moving to the next position, after taking the picture, for long exposures. I plan to add the pulse parameter in the config. dialog. Or maybe just use the 'time value' one as width pulse; this is even more simple.

I did notice a curious thing about the Orion/Merlin - after taking off the battery cover, exposing the pan encoder on top of the motor, when panning, if you hold your finger on top of the encoder when its in motion and stop it (keeping the button pressed) and hold it for a few seconds, then stop holding it (still keeping the button pressed), the Orion/Merlin will speed up really fast to catch up to where it should be for that time period that you kept it from moving. If you release the button while still holding the encoder, then release the encoder, it does not speed up, it just stays put. This means that the motors are capable of running 6 times faster. I don't know if there would be any hope of changing the programs on the PICs to allow for faster panning speeds, and I dont know if the motors could take it in the long run, but maybe they could? (its not too slow really, but would be nice if it was 2x faster during shot setup)

I think this is because the sensor receive to much light: this is a simple IR led/IR photo-transistor, and can be disturbed by ambiant light. AS I said in an old post, the bubble level needs to be painted at its bottom, because it let pass the light. So, even with the cover, if the sun is on the bubble level, the head won't work.

About the motor speed, I know how to let them go faster; it is just a paramter to the drive command. I didn't yet make tests with higher speeds than the fastest one defined in normal use, because I don't know neither if the motors will like that for a long time. But if someone wants to make a (crash) test, I can tell him how to do that.

How many users out there have a functioning Merlin/Orion setup? Should I hold off on mentioning this on the forum.gigapan.org site (there are lots of people MODing that poor thing right now and from my 9 months experience with it, its not up to the task and should be left alone for digicams, not DSLRs)

I think we are 4 or 5 using the Merlin with the Nokia; there are also 1 or 2 guys using a eeepc...

Also still not sure what to think about how autofocus works on the DSLRs when the camera does not see something to focus on. I only have Nikon bodies so don't know how Canon and others do it, but when I have Autofocus on, the camera is great and fast at focusing when there is something to focus upon, but a blue sky at telephoto creates problems my Panasonic DMC-FZ50 digicam does not have. The Nikon will spend its shot time trying to focus, then the gigapan moves on to the next shot and eventually the camera will give up focusing and take a shot, it results in either having to have the time per shot really long (3 seconds?) so that the head does not move on to the next shot before the camera takes it, or must use manual focus. As is, frames are missed. Also, when it does give up and allow the shot to be taken, it chooses a weird place to stop the lens focus that is not likely to be in focus for the sky, I wish it would stop at the hyperfocal length for the focal length of the lens so that infinity would be included as well as everything possible before infinity. I wish I could get Nikon to make a firmware modification to allow for this type of focus, its a mathematical formula based on focal length as to where the hyperfocal spot is, so a Panorama focus mode that would try to focus for a defined period and upon failure put the lens in that spot is what is needed. I thought about trying to implement something in Nikon Camera Control to do this but it seems very closed source as to how to communicate with the camera over the USB and there are no hooks that I know of to diagrammatically hook into Nikon Camera control.

I doubt you obtain something from Nikon or Canon companies. They prefer sell you a new camera rather than updating their orld firmeware :(

As papywizard can't have feedback about AF, you really need to switch to manual mode, and use yourself the hyperfocal.
Last edited by fma38 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:37 pm

fma38 wrote:Ok, all works fine :) Here is some explanations for those who want to build themselves the cable...

1) buy the 4201 Tronisoft module: http://www.tronisoft.com/4201.php

2) get a phone cable with a RJ11 jack (4 wires), or a modem cable with a RJ12 (6 wires; external ones are unused). Cut a short length (15-20cm).

3) cut the red wire (unused). Connect two 220 Ohm resistors on the yellow wire. Caution: depending of the side of the phone cable you keep, colors can be inverted from my explanations and photos.

4) connect the wires and resistors on the Tronisoft module as follow:

- black: GND
- green: +V
- resistors: RD and WR

5) that's it! As soon as you connect and turn on the Merlin, you should see all leds on. RD/WR leds should blink during operation. You can remove the RD/WR leds and put a low power on on VCC to avoid too much current.

6) if you use a bluetooth converter (from AIRcable or Tronisoft), you can power it by closing the little jumper near the sub-D connector (edit: the jumper is not implemented; just short-wired the 2 contacts near the sub-D. Have a look at the product picture).

Feel free to ask for more informations.

The Merlin head hand controller head has 6 contact jack - but it is OK to use a cable with a 4 contact jack? Is it better to use a cable with a 6 way jack?

Do the resistors have to to be oriented in a particular direction - if so how would I know which way round to connect them?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 pm

HELP!!!!

OK, I am using the Tronisoft 4201 serial-TTL adapter and the BTLink serial-BT device also from Tronisoft.

All LEDs light up and stay lit when Merlin is powered up, there is power to the BTLink device.

Papywizard/770 pairs with the BTLink but then I get this error message while it is 'connecting to real hardware':

Can't connect to hardware
Axis 1 can't send command

Attached screen shot shows settings for BTLink device the ext. switch is set to DCE.

As Paul would say 'Close but no ciger'.

So can anyone please tell me what is not set correctly.

Do I have to set comms configuration on the Tronisoft 4201 module somehow - if so how?

I am running Papywizard r927 on latest OS2007HE on a Nokia 770.

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

fma38

Topic author
Info

by fma38 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Sorry, I didn't see your answer before...

First, resistors don't have orientation. Second, you can use either a 4 wires or 6 wires cable, as long as you use the good wires ;)

About the connexion problem, could you set the logger level to debug, and sen me the complete log when trying to connect?
Frédéric

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:50 pm

fma38 wrote:Sorry, I didn't see your answer before...

First, resistors don't have orientation. Second, you can use either a 4 wires or 6 wires cable, as long as you use the good wires ;)

About the connexion problem, could you set the logger level to debug, and sen me the complete log when trying to connect?

Where do I find the log file, please?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Started from x-term because of Help menu crash problem.

I started Papywizard then use Menu/Hardware/Connect to connect BT.

When that failed with error message mentioned in earlier post I shut Papywizard down.

Here's the x-term output:
BusyBox v1.4.1 (2007-03-12 19:00:25 EET) Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Code: Select all
~ $ papywizard.sh
2008-10-22 22:50:22,132::MainThread::DEBUG::Papywizard.l10n(): default locale=en_GB
2008-10-22 22:50:22,180::MainThread::DEBUG::Papywizard.l10n(): LANGUAGE=None
2008-10-22 22:50:22,191::MainThread::DEBUG::Papywizard.l10n(): langs=['en_GB', 'en_US', 'fr_FR', 'pl_PL', 'de_DE']
2008-10-22 22:50:22,292::MainThread::DEBUG::Papywizard.l10n(): localeDir=/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/../..
2008-10-22 22:50:23,029::MainThread::INFO::Starting Papywizard...
2008-10-22 22:50:23,156::MainThread::INFO::Loading default presets
2008-10-22 22:50:23,568::MainThread::DEBUG::Preset.__init__(): loading name='4@0 + Z + N'
2008-10-22 22:50:23,685::MainThread::DEBUG::Preset.__init__(): loading name='3@-15 + Z'
2008-10-22 22:50:23,807::MainThread::DEBUG::Preset.__init__(): loading name='6@30 + 6@-15 + N'
2008-10-22 22:50:23,927::MainThread::DEBUG::Preset.__init__(): loading name='3 + 6 + 12 + 6 + 3 (17 mm)'
2008-10-22 22:50:24,063::MainThread::DEBUG::Preset.__init__(): loading name='3 + 6 + 12 + 6 + 3 (20 mm)'
2008-10-22 22:50:24,204::MainThread::WARNING::No user presets found
2008-10-22 22:50:24,219::MainThread::DEBUG::Spy.__init__(): yaw=0.0, pitch=0.0
python[2928]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `has_tooltip' for class `GtkButton'
python[2928]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `has_tooltip' for class `GtkButton'
python[2928]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `has_tooltip' for class `GtkComboBox'
python[2928]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `has_tooltip' for class `GtkLabel'
python[2928]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `has_tooltip' for class `GtkLabel'
python[2928]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `has_tooltip' for class `GtkImage'
2008-10-22 22:50:28,441::MainThread::DEBUG::MainController.__onModeMosaicRadiobuttonToggled(): shooting mode set to 'preset'
2008-10-22 22:50:28,630::MainThread::DEBUG::MainController.__onPresetTemplateComboboxChanged(): new preset template='4@0 + Z + N'
2008-10-22 22:50:28,765::Spy::INFO::Starting Spy...
2008-10-22 22:50:30,167::Publisher::INFO::Starting Publisher...
2008-10-22 22:50:40,620::MainThread::INFO::Connecting to real hardware...
2008-10-22 22:50:41,201::Dummy-5::DEBUG::Head.init(): initializing driver...
2008-10-22 22:50:41,215::Dummy-5::DEBUG::BluetoothDriver.init(): trying to connect to 00:12:6F:02:21:3E...
2008-10-22 22:50:44,465::Dummy-5::DEBUG::BluetoothDriver.init(): successfully connected to 00:12:6F:02:21:3E
2008-10-22 22:50:44,475::Dummy-5::DEBUG::Head.init(): driver initialized
2008-10-22 22:50:44,496::Dummy-5::DEBUG::Head.init(): waiting for bluetooth connection...
2008-10-22 22:50:52,518::Dummy-5::DEBUG::Head.init(): initializing axis...
2008-10-22 22:50:53,555::Dummy-5::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmd
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/axis.py", line 223, in _sendCmd
answer = self.__driver.sendCmd(cmd)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/bluetoothDriver.py", line 122, in sendCmd
c = self._sock.recv(1)
File "<string>", line 5, in recv
BluetoothError: timed out
2008-10-22 22:50:53,578::Dummy-5::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2008-10-22 22:50:54,597::Dummy-5::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmd
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/axis.py", line 223, in _sendCmd
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/bluetoothDriver.py", line 122, in sendCmd
c = self._sock.recv(1)
2008-10-22 22:50:54,609::Dummy-5::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2008-10-22 22:50:55,629::Dummy-5::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmd
c = self._sock.recv(1)
2008-10-22 22:50:55,641::Dummy-5::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2008-10-22 22:50:55,695::Dummy-5::EXCEPTION::Shooting.switchToRealHardware()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/model/shooting.py", line 148, in switchToRealHardware
self.realHardware.init()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/head.py", line 93, in init
self.yawAxis.init()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/axis.py", line 239, in init
self._sendCmd("L")
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/axis.py", line 230, in _sendCmd
raise HardwareError("Axis %d can't send command" % self._num)
HardwareError: Axis 1 can't send command
2008-10-22 22:50:55,707::Dummy-5::DEBUG::MainController.__switchToRealHardwareCallback(): flag=False
2008-10-22 22:50:55,766::MainThread::ERROR::Can't connect to hardware
Axis 1 can't send command
2008-10-22 22:51:00,408::MainThread::INFO::Go to simulation mode
2008-10-22 22:51:01,430::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmd
c = self._sock.recv(1)
2008-10-22 22:51:01,442::MainThread::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2008-10-22 22:51:02,470::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmd
c = self._sock.recv(1)
2008-10-22 22:51:02,482::MainThread::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2008-10-22 22:51:03,511::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Axis._sendCmd
c = self._sock.recv(1)
2008-10-22 22:51:03,522::MainThread::WARNING::Axis._sendCmd(): axis 1 can't sent command. Retrying...
2008-10-22 22:51:03,563::MainThread::EXCEPTION::Shooting.switchToSimulatedHardware()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/model/shooting.py", line 162, in switchToSimulatedHardware
self.realHardware.shutdown()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/head.py", line 109, in shutdown
self.yawAxis.stop()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/axis.py", line 359, in stop
self._sendCmd("L")
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/papywizard/hardware/axis.py", line 230, in _sendCmd
raise HardwareError("Axis %d can't send command" % self._num)
HardwareError: Axis 1 can't send command
2008-10-22 22:51:08,895::Spy::INFO::Spy stopped
2008-10-22 22:51:08,964::Axis #1::DEBUG::AxisSimulation.run(): axis simulation thread terminated
2008-10-22 22:51:09,136::Axis #2::DEBUG::AxisSimulation.run(): axis simulation thread terminated
2008-10-22 22:51:09,197::MainThread::INFO::Configuration saved2008-10-22 22:51:09,225::MainThread::INFO::Papywizard stopped
Andrew Stephens

PreviousNext