claudevh

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by claudevh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Hillel,

I summarize ...

What you need for this solution is :

- the Parallax eb500-SER
- the adapted cable I can send you in a first "temporary" solution. (you can also made yourselve, when I
get more free time I will post the "Schema/Picture"!)
Later if more people are interrested, I can arrange the production/distribution by
http://www.astrocables.com/index.php for instance !

- no soldering (just plug the "colored" connectors according the picture I will put at disposal)
- no configuration !
- plug-it in the Merlin ! = "plug & play"

Thats all folks !

:cool:
Last edited by claudevh on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 am

To all,

The pictures for the connecting the cable/connector to the BT module Parallax eb500-SER ...

Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 am

claudevh wrote:To all,

The pictures for the connecting the cable/connector to the BT module Parallax eb500-SER ...

Pinout details for the module can be found on this spec. sheet:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/comm/A7-PB-eb500-SER.pdf
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
jriley

Info

by jriley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm

claudevh wrote:Hi all,

As promized, here is the link to a summary document about the study of different possibilities for connecting the Merlin/Orion with PC, Mac, Nokia, etc ...

The study is not yet finished but, considering the problems with Tronisoft, I prefer to publish the document now !
I will fill it with new info's when they will be availlable !

This document is not the "BIBLE" but can help ! :/

http://www.autopano.fr/wiki/images-fr/e/e2/Merlin_Interface_study.pdf

:rolleyes:

Hi Claude,

I am ordering the Parallax eb500 today. I was going to get the one from lagos at ursaminor, but I think he is still out of the office on holiday (I haven't heard back from my last email in several days.) The RN-24s is smaller and cheaper, but I saw you said "No (needs modification)". I thought it would be pretty easy, but I am going to go on what you said from experience.

My real question though is this: what are the connectors you need to put on the end of the wires to be able to connect to the eb500? Name or especially a weblink would be appreciated!

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:45 pm

jriley wrote:My real question though is this: what are the connectors you need to put on the end of the wires to be able to connect to the eb500? Name or especially a weblink would be appreciated!

You need 2x200 ohm resistors too.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
jriley

Info

by jriley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 pm

mediavets wrote:
jriley wrote:My real question though is this: what are the connectors you need to put on the end of the wires to be able to connect to the eb500? Name or especially a weblink would be appreciated!

You need 2x200 ohm resistors too.

Resistors are no problem to get locally. The connectors may be a different story. I am ordering it from Trossen Robotics http://tinyurl.com/azgng9 (a good bit cheaper shipping than Parallax and it is in stock.) I called them up and they recommended F/F Sparkfun Jumper wires http://tinyurl.com/ckedo9. I am sure there must be a simple crimp-on connector, but didn't want to get stuck high and dry at this point. I have a lot of pent-up desire to get this bugger finished! :D I started ordering things on January 5 and never thought it would be this long. I want to get up in the mountains and shoot gigapixels while the winter air keeps things nice and clear. The summer haze is just awful in the Smokey mountains (hence the name :P )

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Hi John,

As allready say and write in my document, I can provide you with a dedicated Cable/Connector wich include:

- The RJ12 connector with +/- 18 cm or +/- 7 inches cable (Merlin side)
- The 2 resistors welded in place
- The four connectors crimped in place (eb500-SER side)

All ready to be plugged between the eb500-SER and the Merlin !
No soldering.
No configuration.

The eb500-SER, this cable/connector, the Merlin, Papywizard and ... yourselve is all wat you need to run via your PC, Mac... or Nokia ....

If you send me by Email, your "exact address", I can send the cable/connector to you directly by normal mail immediatelly !

All wat I am asking for is just the cost of the shipping, I will confirm this by Email and you can pay by Paypal !

If you agree, please send me your agreement and your "exact address". If you do that now, I can post it tomorrow !

no avatar
jriley

Info

by jriley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:49 am

claudevh wrote:Hi John,

As allready say and write in my document, I can provide you with a dedicated Cable/Connector wich include:

- The RJ12 connector with +/- 18 cm or +/- 7 inches cable (Merlin side)
- The 2 resistors welded in place
- The four connectors crimped in place (eb500-SER side)

All ready to be plugged between the eb500-SER and the Merlin !
No soldering.
No configuration.

The eb500-SER, this cable/connector, the Merlin, Papywizard and ... yourselve is all wat you need to run via your PC, Mac... or Nokia ....

If you send me by Email, your "exact address", I can send the cable/connector to you directly by normal mail immediatelly !

All wat I am asking for is just the cost of the shipping, I will confirm this by Email and you can pay by Paypal !

If you agree, please send me your agreement and your "exact address". If you do that now, I can post it tomorrow !

How much would it cost to send it to South Carolina, USA - zip code 29323?

BTW - I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking what kind of connectors do you need to put on the end of the cable (the ones where you say "The four connectors crimped in place (eb500-SER side)")? Is it some sort of standard connector? If so, I could have the cable put together easily myself. Without having it in hand, I can't tell what kind of connector I need. I imagine mailing it from your location to mine might take a good while. My Nokia N800 and the eb500 are both supposed to arrive by Wednesday! Got a really good deal on the N800, BTW: $100! I love Craigslist ;) I hope to have it all up and running this week. :D

Thanks for making the summary!

John

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:41 am

Yes John,

Those are standard connectors, I.E. Molex 16-02-0102 (Mouser 538-16-02-0102)

If you can do yourselve, do-it !:cool:

The shipping cost from Belgium will be in between 1.05 EUR and 3.15 EUR (the RJ12 has a dimension higher than 5 mm and this is the limit between "normalized and non-normalized" envoices)

no avatar
stewed

Info

by stewed » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Merlin head (with no tripod or L-bracket) and the UrsaMinor bluetooth module from Teleskop-Austria. Lajos is a very nice guy and a pleasure to do business with!

After adding myself to the Merlin user list yesterday, claudevh sent me a message asking if I could share my experiences with the UrsaMinor bluetooth module, so here goes:

First I used a PC running Windows XP Pro and I only managed to get the old version of PapyWizard (1.6.1) to connect to the bluetooth module. Version 1.9.6 didn't seem to work well at all for me.

I never got PapyWizard to connect directly to the Bluetooth module however. I had to connect to the Bluetooth module using the Windows Bluetooth Settings, which makes the Bluetooth module appear as a serial port (e.g. COM4) to Windows, and then I configured PapyWizard to use that serial port instead of Bluetooth. That method worked great.

Later I read in the PapyWizard FAQ that only Windows and Broadcom Bluetooth stacks are supported (and not the Toshoba drivers that I use), so I suspect that would explain it. I haven't tried to replace the Toshiba drivers with the drivers from Microsofts yet, but I suspect that might solve the problem with PapyWizard 1.9.6, and not being able to connect directly to the bluetooth module.

I have also tested a PC running Vista Home Premium (with Microsoft Bluetooth drivers), but I couldn't manage to connect to the bluetooth device at all from PapyWizard (neither as serial port, nor as bluetooth device). I managed to connect to the bluetooth device from the Windows Bluetooth settings window, but I could never figure out which serial port number it had been assigned.

Finally I tested a third PC running Windows 7 Beta and it worked like a charm! On this PC I managed to connect PapyWizard 1.9.6 to the bluetooth module directly as a bluetooth device (as opposed to a serial device).

So, for me, Windows 7 Beta works best, Windows XP Pro slightly worse, and Vista Home Premium didn't work at all.

The UrsaMinor Bluetooth module is nevertheless extremely easy to use. Just plug it in, push the button and let the PC discover it. Also, it's very small and lightweight. I'm very satisfied with it!
Last edited by stewed on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Does your XP Pro PC have built-in Bluetooth or were you using a USB Bluetooth adapter?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
stewed

Info

by stewed » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks!

The Windows XP Pro PC is a Dell Inspiron 9300 with built-in bluetooth. The other two have bluetooth USB adapters.

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Welcome to the club.

Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:38 pm

stewed wrote:First I used a PC running Windows XP Pro and I only managed to get the old version of PapyWizard (1.6.1) to connect to the bluetooth module. Version 1.9.6 didn't seem to work well at all for me.

Later I read in the PapyWizard FAQ that only Windows and Broadcom Bluetooth stacks are supported (and not the Toshoba drivers that I use), so I suspect that would explain it. I haven't tried to replace the Toshiba drivers with the drivers from Microsofts yet, but I suspect that might solve the problem with PapyWizard 1.9.6, and not being able to connect directly to the bluetooth module.

I can run 1.9.6-1 on Windows XP Pro SP3 with a Bluenext BN-01 USB BT adapter using standrad Microsoft drivers.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
stewed

Info

by stewed » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 pm

My plan is to try it again in XP Pro with the Microsoft drivers, and I'm sure it will work well then, but time is a scarce resource. Busy, busy, busy... :)

I'm pleasantly surprised, though, it worked so well in Windows 7 Beta as I will probably use that (running on my tiny Acer Aspire One netbook) as my primary PapyWizard device. I'm currently modding my Aspire One adding a touch screen, internal bluetooth, better cooling and replacing the slow SSD with a 1.8" hard drive. :P

Paul

Info

by Paul » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Windows 7 runs fine on my old tablet pc and I try to boost the performance adding a 5.-€-4GB-USB-memory-stick as ready-boost device

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/04/14/576548.aspx
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

no avatar
jackwu

Info

by jackwu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:33 pm

I am curious, claudevh, where do you hide the 2 resistors for eb500-SER? I can't see them on the picture...

BTW, I find a local vender who sells eb500-SER, finally I find the solution. :)
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard wired to eeePC 701SD with DebianEeePC 5.0.2 (Lenny)
Canon S3IS

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Jack,

The 2 resistors are "hidden" under the Red part of the cable (second photo)!

You can also have a look on this link who show the cable before assembling:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p38867-2009-02-15-18-45-59#p38867
This cable was specially made for the Tronisoft kit ... :(

The only difference for the Parallax connection is that the power supply connectors polarized (cables Red for VCC and Yellow for Ground) are replaced by the same type of connectors that the signal connectors RX TX (Blue and White) !

no avatar
jriley

Info

by jriley » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 am

:D :D :D My eb500-SER and my Nokia N800 arrived today! Everything is working right out of the box :lol: :D :cool:

Thanks for finding all the alternatives for us, Claude! All I had to do was connect a few wires together, fret a bit over which pin was which, read a manual or two to be sure of things, install Papywizard and IT JUST WORKS! I will be out shooting tomorrow for sure.

John

Gigapixels, here I come!

fma38

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:37 am

Good news!
Frédéric

claudevh

Info

by claudevh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:29 am

Hi John,

Very happy for you ! :)
With all the test I have allready made, I was conviced that the PARALAX solution is the best one, except that it "could be" cheaper !
The very positive point is that it is available all over the world without "to much" difficulties ! ;)
The only things I regret is that (indeed...) the manual is not so clear for the connections, especially the numering. :/
I will make a new Visual/instruction for that ... and for the dedicated cable/connector !

no avatar
jriley

Info

by jriley » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:44 pm

claudevh wrote:The only things I regret is that (indeed...) the manual is not so clear for the connections, especially the numering.

What got me over the hump was finding the better pinout in the page 2 of the Product Brief http://www.a7eng.com/downloads/a7-pb-eb500-ser.pdf. Page 13 of the User Manual http://www.a7eng.com/downloads/a7-um-eb500-ser.pdf shows the location of pin 1, and page 113 of the same document says which pins need what connection, but nothing in it gives the order of the pins. I thought they would go in rows, which made the picture from Claude look crazy. When I found the pinout in the Product Brief, sanity returned and I was up and running in two minutes. :) I wouldn't have guessed that the 1,2,3,4,... order went bottom, top, move left, bottom, top, ....

fma38

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Yes, this is the standard way of numbering these kind of connector (HE10). Sub-D are numbered in the other way (first row, then second row). Once you know that, its easy ;)
Frédéric

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Info

by mark_anderson_us » Sun May 24, 2009 1:00 am

Hi Claude

I'm confused. I bought a Nokia in Jan and oredered a tronisoft that I never got. Looking at you pictures for the EB500, they look a lot different to the one on the web site.

http://www.a7eng.com/products/bluetooth/productpages/eb500-ser.htm

What's the adapter in your picture with the antenna? Does this come with it?

What do I need between the Nokia and the camera (assuming I buy the eb500)

I'm anxious to get going on this project and upgrade to apgiga2

Regards

Mark
Canon EOS 30D with BG-E2 grip
50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8L, 28-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 Macro
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

no avatar
mark_anderson_us

Info

by mark_anderson_us » Sun May 24, 2009 1:03 am

stewed wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Merlin head (with no tripod or L-bracket) and the UrsaMinor bluetooth module from Teleskop-Austria. Lajos is a very nice guy and a pleasure to do business with!

After adding myself to the Merlin user list yesterday, claudevh sent me a message asking if I could share my experiences with the UrsaMinor bluetooth module, so here goes:

First I used a PC running Windows XP Pro and I only managed to get the old version of PapyWizard (1.6.1) to connect to the bluetooth module. Version 1.9.6 didn't seem to work well at all for me.

I never got PapyWizard to connect directly to the Bluetooth module however. I had to connect to the Bluetooth module using the Windows Bluetooth Settings, which makes the Bluetooth module appear as a serial port (e.g. COM4) to Windows, and then I configured PapyWizard to use that serial port instead of Bluetooth. That method worked great.

I have also tested a PC running Vista Home Premium (with Microsoft Bluetooth drivers), but I couldn't manage to connect to the bluetooth device at all from PapyWizard (neither as serial port, nor as bluetooth device). I managed to connect to the bluetooth device from the Windows Bluetooth settings window, but I could never figure out which serial port number it had been assigned.

Finally I tested a third PC running Windows 7 Beta and it worked like a charm! On this PC I managed to connect PapyWizard 1.9.6 to the bluetooth module directly as a bluetooth device (as opposed to a serial device).

So, for me, Windows 7 Beta works best, Windows XP Pro slightly worse, and Vista Home Premium didn't work at all.

The UrsaMinor Bluetooth module is nevertheless extremely easy to use. Just plug it in, push the button and let the PC discover it. Also, it's very small and lightweight. I'm very satisfied with it!

Hi Stewed

How did you go about buying it. I tried and failed. I've no idea what chagres will be incurred at the european end and what shipping is going to be, so I have no idea how much to transfer and I didn't have much success communicating with the company

what did you do to get around all these hassles?

Regards

mark
Canon EOS 30D with BG-E2 grip
50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8L, 28-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 Macro
Gitzo 2531, Merlin/Orion

PreviousNext