Panoramic Software For Merlin/orion: Find A Name  

Everything you need to motorize your head
User avatar
fma38
Member
 
Posts: 5827
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France

Panoramic Software For Merlin/orion: Find A Name

by fma38 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm about to create a SVN repository (and bug-tracker) for the software I'm developping to control the Merlin/Orion head, but I would like to find a better name than 'panohead'.

Usually, softwares written in python include the 'py' syllable. The best would be to find a funny/nice/little name, even with not link with the subject, but which could be an acronym related to the motorized panoramic head. This acronym should sound good in french too, as I'm french ;)

Example, 'papyrus' for PAnoramic PYthon then_i_don't_know!

For the acronym, you could include words like: motorized, panoramic, head, controller, driver, automatic... Misspelled words can also be used ;)

So, if you have ideas (and I'm sure you can find very good ones!)...
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

User avatar
fma38
Member
 
Posts: 5827
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France

by fma38 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Alexandre suggests to use a name in relation with Arthur King legend, because of the french name of the head, 'Merlin'...
Last edited by fma38 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7886
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:53 pm

fma38 wrote:I'm about to create a SVN repository (and bug-tracker) for the software I'm developping to control the Merlin/Orion head, but I would like to find a better name than 'panohead'.

Usually, softwares written in python include the 'py' syllable. The best would be to find a funny/nice/little name, even with not link with the subject, but which could be an acronym related to the motorized panoramic head. This acronym should sound good in french too, as I'm french ;)

Example, 'papyrus' for PAnoramic PYthon then_i_don't_know!

For the acronym, you could include words like: motorized, panoramic, head, controller, driver, automatic... Misspelled words can also be used ;)

So, if you have ideas (and I'm sure you can find very good ones!)...

Hi!

I just want to drop some names in :P:

motomerlin
panolin
magicpan
motopan
automerl
panopylin ;-)
pythopano
autorotato
panpy
pypan
pythopan
morganpan
pythomorgane (you know . . :cool:)
pythomerlin
pythocontrol
controlin

be afraid of more to come . . ;)

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

User avatar
fma38
Member
 
Posts: 5827
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France

by fma38 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:43 pm

There are good ideas... Please, go on ;)
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

no avatar
beeloba
Member
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:51 pm

by beeloba » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Py-Thagorus - Py-Thagora
∏-tagor
Last edited by beeloba on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7886
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:18 pm

fma38 wrote:There are good ideas... Please, go on ;)

progpan
pythopan
motopyth
pythomot
autopyth(o)
pythcontrol pano
pano-pythcontrol
panocontrole
controlpan
controlpan-mot
autocontrol-mot
merlincontrol-auto
merlincontrol-pan
merlincontrol-soft
merlinsoft-control
automerlin-control
autopano-control
app-merlincontrol
merlin-appcontrol

:cool:
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

User avatar
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 5918
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Francin, France

by AlexandreJ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:03 am

Code: Select all
controlin                                         
controlpan                      progpan           
controlpan-mot                 
                                magicpan         
motomerlin                 
motopyth                        morganpan         
motopan                 
                                autopyth(o)       
panolin                         autorotato       
panopylin                       automerl         
panocontrole                    autocontrol-mot   
pano-pythcontrol                automerlin-control
panpy                           autopano-control 
                                app-merlincontrol
pythopano                 
pypan                           merlincontrol-auto
pythopan                        merlincontrol-pan
pythomorgane                    merlincontrol-soft
pythomerlin                     merlinsoft-control
pythocontrol                    merlin-appcontrol
pythcontrol pano
pythopan
pythomot

I reorganized the names by starting part. I already have my own preference in this list.

no avatar
ThomasPF
Member
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:35 pm

by ThomasPF » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:03 am

merlin-o-mat

no avatar
foundation
Member
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:43 am

by foundation » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 pm

How about PanoDragon (after Uther Pendragon) or Pyndragon?
Good sources for names: The once and future king by T.H. White and The mists of avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (both really good books with very different takes on the arthur legend)

in the once and future king, merlyn's owl is named Archimedes (no play on pano or py but fun)

no avatar
beeloba
Member
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:51 pm

by beeloba » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 pm

SoftPhypano
Python-pano
Python.panomaker
Python_panning soft
RollingPhyton
Phyton_solver
MoonPanomaker
UniversalPano APP
Last edited by beeloba on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 5918
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Francin, France

by AlexandreJ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:57 am

We did here a lot of brainstorming on that. We were looking for 2 names : one for the adaptation of the head and one for the software.

For the adaptation of the merlin head, there's a consensus here, we call it the "panokit" ! It's a panokit for the merlin head that convert the head for panorama shooting : contains the interface, camera shooting cable, iron plate to fix the camera to the head, etc.
I think that designing a full kit with everything needed inside is good and that's why the name is pretty obvious : panokit.

For the naming of the software, one idea exposed is to use "wizard". Merlin is obviously one !

User avatar
leedsjoe
Member
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:33 pm
Location: West Drayton, UK

by leedsjoe » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:05 am

With a capital letter, 'Wizard', of course

Extract from my Collins English Dictionary (1979) "4. Informal, chiefly Brit. superb; outstanding."

User avatar
fma38
Member
 
Posts: 5827
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Grenoble, France

by fma38 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 am

Does 'papy' mean something special (strange), in english?

I was thinking to use 'papywizard' for the python version (PAnoramic PYthon WIZARD)...
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7886
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:We did here a lot of brainstorming on that. We were looking for 2 names : one for the adaptation of the head and one for the software.

For the adaptation of the merlin head, there's a consensus here, we call it the "panokit" ! It's a panokit for the merlin head that convert the head for panorama shooting : contains the interface, camera shooting cable, iron plate to fix the camera to the head, etc.
I think that designing a full kit with everything needed inside is good and that's why the name is pretty obvious : panokit.

For the naming of the software, one idea exposed is to use "wizard". Merlin is obviously one !

Hi Alexandre!

Is there an interface working already?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

User avatar
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 5918
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Francin, France

by AlexandreJ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes, fma38 showed us a working version one month ago. It's so coooooool !

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7886
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:58 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Yes, fma38 showed us a working version one month ago. It's so coooooool !

yeah - i read about it in the French Merlin-thread. But due to my very limited French i didn´t understand a thing . . :cool: just watched pictures and tried to remember my 6 years French in school. But that´s long ago . . and we didn´t talk about pano very much those times . . :P
I mean: is there already something to buy and work with?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

User avatar
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 5918
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Francin, France

by AlexandreJ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Not totally finished. Fma38 is making a first poll to know how many people are interested into such an interface ( that's this post : if you are interested, just post something here : http://www.autopano.net/forum/t2980-interface-merlin-orion-pra-recensement-pour-fabrication ).
Now, there are some part that still need some fine-tunning. For example, to create the interface, fma38 won't do it himself because it really takes time (I won't do it myself either ...). So we need to find a business that is able to build the interface for us. We will plan a meeting soon with a possible partner for that.

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7886
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:21 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Not totally finished. Fma38 is making a first poll to know how many people are interested into such an interface ( that's this post : if you are interested, just post something here : http://www.autopano.net/forum/t2980-interface-merlin-orion-pra-recensement-pour-fabrication ).
Now, there are some part that still need some fine-tunning. For example, to create the interface, fma38 won't do it himself because it really takes time (I won't do it myself either ...). So we need to find a business that is able to build the interface for us. We will plan a meeting soon with a possible partner for that.

Hi Alexandre!

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess there should be more infos in English . . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel


Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest