Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:57 am 

Hi to all. I'm a novice at all this motorised head stuff , but can see the advantage of a programable head to take (Matrix) pano's. Being electronically illiterate, is there a simple buy and use solution that doesent require getting electronics made up. From what I have seen the orion head with papywizzard is a solution. Can I buy one , and from where, that is set and ready to program.
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 am 

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/t4794-low-cost-motorised-pano-head-for-compacts-and-dslrs-merlin-papywizard

Andrew summurize things. Right now, it is not possible to buy all pieces ready-to-use (especially the interface).

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:50 am 

irpano wrote:
Hi to all. I'm a novice at all this motorised head stuff , but can see the advantage of a programable head to take (Matrix) pano's. Being electronically illiterate, is there a simple buy and use solution that doesent require getting electronics made up. From what I have seen the orion head with papywizzard is a solution. Can I buy one , and from where, that is set and ready to program.
Thanks in advance

I don't know where you are located nor what camera/lens you plan to use.

But...

If you wish to use a compact digital camera then the Gigapan Imager, made in the USA, is a 'ready-to-go' motorised head for compact digital cameras:
http://www.gigapansystems.com/

If you plan to use a DSLR then there are a couple of expensive two-axis motorised pano heads availabe that are 'ready-to-go'.

The Rodeon VR head, made in Germany, costs upwards of Euros 3,800:
http://www.dr-clauss.de/RODEONVRHead_e.htm

The Peace River Studios Pixorb head, made in the USA, costs USD 11,500:
http://www.peaceriverstudios.com/pixorb/index.html

Then there is the single-axis MK Panomachine, made in Germany, that costs around Euros 1,800:
http://www.marc-kairies.de/0490c39acb137931c/0490c39acb137a81e/index.html

And the single axis Seitz VR Drive, made in Switzerland, that costs 2,300 Swiss Francs:
http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d927/f629.cfm

OR you can assemble the Merlin/Papywizard system which will handle a DSLR and costs a fraction of the price of any of those four, the components required are available world wide. In some markets the Merlin head is also marketed as the Orion Teletrack:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t4794-low-cost-motorised-pano-head-for-compacts-and-dslrs-merlin-papywizard
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t4778-merlin-papywizard-user-reports

The only 'electronics' required is to be able to solder a few wires to a small circuit board - I am completely clumsy with any sort of DIY but managed it quite easily, the biggest problem I had was that my 60 year-old eyes struggled a bit to focus on the small wires/terminals. And if you don't feel up to the soldering I'm sure you know someone who could do it for you.

You only need to make these wiring connections, and add the two 220ohm resistors, from a 4 conductor RJ11 cable (for example an ADSL cable) to a small ready made circuit board - and, yes, it is nicer to put it into a small box - as shown here:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p30622-2008-10-12-15-57-21#p30622

If you plan to run Papywizard on a Nokia Tablet you will need an RS232-Bluetooth adapter attached to the Tronisoft 4201 RS232-TTL adapter mentioned above. The Tronisoft BTLink is one of the least expensive and it works well and is easy to configure:
http://www.tronisoft.com/cat_bluetoothtors232.php

Then download and install the free Paywizard software on a Nokia Internet Tablet, the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet is a bargain if picked up secondhand on eBay, and you are ready to go.

The Papywizard software will also run on the Nokia N800 and N810 Internet Tablets, Windows PCs, Linux PCs, and should run on Apple Macs though no-one has tried that yet AFAIK.

You can run the Papywizard software in simulation mode without having a Merlin head so if you want to get a feel for how it looks and what it can do just download it and have a 'play':
http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/

Oh nearly forgot, you will need a set of 8xAA NiMH rechargeable batteries and a charger if you want to run the Merlin head on batteries, or you can use a 12V 500ma mains adapter.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:45 am 

Thanks mediavets,
I've read similar post before and noticed that some were from 2006 etc. I wondered if anyone had produced a read to go solution as of now. The papywizard solution looks good but I wonder about Bluetooth. My experience with it has not been good.
I am in Australia and cant find anything other than what has been discussed on the forum.
If i am correct I will need the Orion startrak, the papywizard software and a device from tronisoft ? to connect it all together.
Will the camera fire fire bracketed shot from the papywizard or do I have to release the shutter manuall via a remote cable.
My setup is the same as fma38 - Canon 30D, 24 -70 usm l lense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:15 am 

You will need to build a cable to trigger you shutter. Just buy a cheap remote cord for you 30D (~15€ on the web), cut the cable, and put a 2.5mm jack to plug in the Merlin. That's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 pm 

irpano wrote:
Thanks mediavets,
I've read similar post before and noticed that some were from 2006 etc. I wondered if anyone had produced a read to go solution as of now. The papywizard solution looks good but I wonder about Bluetooth. My experience with it has not been good.
I am in Australia and cant find anything other than what has been discussed on the forum.
If i am correct I will need the Orion startrak, the papywizard software and a device from tronisoft ? to connect it all together.
Will the camera fire fire bracketed shot from the papywizard or do I have to release the shutter manuall via a remote cable.
My setup is the same as fma38 - Canon 30D, 24 -70 usm l lense

The head you require is sold as the Merlin multi-function mount and also sold as the Orion Teletrack.

If you want a wireless connection between Merlin/Orion head and the host machine running Papywizard - which is most popular and practical way of doing it - then Bluetooth is the way to do that.

The Windows version of Papywizard does not support Bluetooth devices directly - but you can still use Bluetooth by using/pairing two RS232-Bluetooth adapters to create a wireless serial cable replacement. But you can use a regular straightthrough serial cable if you are content with a wired connection.

If you wish to host Papywizard on a Nokia Internet Tablet you will have to have an RS232-Bluetooth adapter on the RS232-TTL interface to the Merlin/Orion head because the Nolkia tablets do not have a connection for a wired serial cable.

I find that the Tronisoft 4201 and their BTLink RS232-Bluetooth adapter work together very well, and with the Nokia 770 tablet. It is all very easy to configure and seems quite reliable.

You must use the Tronisoft 4201 RS232-TLL module - the one with the voltage regulator on it to reduce input voltage from the head to 5V - do not confuse this module with others they sell that do not have the onboard voltage regulator.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:37 pm 

Bluetooth works better than I expected with Papywizard. I think this is because we don't use complicated communication; only serial link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:17 am 

Mediavets,
Thanks for the ofrfer in being a gobetween. I've bitten the bullit and ordered a orion startrek head (Known in Australia as - Acuter Merlin Multi-Function Mount and Tripod ) and await its delivery.
When i get the head and can see the the connections i will have a better idea of what people are talking about for connection via serial or Bluetooth. I researched australian websites and the Nokia 7710 is not available in This part of the world so I'm looking at using my laptop. But the papywizard software will not drive bluetooth so I think i'm stuck with a serial cable.
The Head advertising blurb states that a canon eos camera can be fired direct and if so I might have a simplier set than I expect.
Thank again for the help and I might talk again soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:34 pm 

You can install linux on your laptop ;) If you stay under Windows, you can follow Andrew's advice: use 2 bluetooth-to-serial converter: on on the PC side, and one on the Merlin side. See:

http://www.tronisoft.com/2750.php

About Nokia 770, it is a discontinued product; try ebay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:56 pm 

irpano wrote:
The Head advertising blurb states that a canon eos camera can be fired direct and if so I might have a simplier set than I expect.
Thank again for the help and I might talk again soon.

The standard camera cable supplied with the Merlin head has a 2.5mm stereo jack on each end. This cable will only work 'plug-n-play' with the low end range of Canon DSLRs - known in US as digital Rebel series, in UK as the 300D, 350D, 400D and 450D - not with XXD range.

As Frederic has mentiuoned before, you will need to cannibalise a cheap third party wired remote with suitable connector for XXD range and the standard camera release cable, and connect the two 'ends' togther, to end up with a cable with appropriate connectors on each end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 pm 

irpano wrote:
Mediavets,
Thanks for the ofrfer in being a gobetween. I've bitten the bullit and ordered a orion startrek head (Known in Australia as - Acuter Merlin Multi-Function Mount and Tripod ) and await its delivery.
When i get the head and can see the the connections i will have a better idea of what people are talking about for connection via serial or Bluetooth. I researched australian websites and the Nokia 7710 is not available in This part of the world so I'm looking at using my laptop. But the papywizard software will not drive bluetooth so I think i'm stuck with a serial cable.

Well you a have ordered the correct head. :)

Whether you choose to connect via serial cable or Bluetooth you will still need the RS232-TTL adapter at the head end of the connection - this RS232-TTL adapter plugs into the socket for the hand controller, and replaces the hand controller supplied with head when controliing the head via Papywiazrd - and as mentioned before the easiest and cheapest way to make this is using the Tronisoft 4201 module - so you may as well order that now or you'll end up with a Merlin head and no way to drive it from Papywizard.

Regarding inability of Windows version of Papywizard to drive Bluetooth. You can still create wireless Bluetooth connection between a Windows machine running Papywizard and the Merlin head by using a pair of (two) RS232-Bluetooth adapters - the Tronisoft BTLink adapters are probably the cheapest around but the LM Technologies LM058 is almost identical and perhaps as cheap in Australia? - when paired they look to the PC like a normal serial cable and use the standard serial port driver rather than a Bluetooth driver. The fact that it's a Bluetooth wireless link is quite transparent to the PC that 'thinks' it is connected via a serial cable.

As Frederic says the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet has been superceded by two new models - the N800 and N810, which can also run Papywizard. But the 770 is good enough to run Papywizard and here in the UK at least can often be picked up secondhand on eBay for between £50-70. I got mine on eBay for £55 including a 2GB RSMMC card. If you buy one this way just make sure it has at least one stylus with it - they are easy to lose/misplace - when new the 770 came with two styli. And the USB cable to allow connection to a PC is useful too.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions - I too found it all rather a puzzle before I assembled my system just few weeks ago. In fact it is really very easy and I'm happy to help.

Here's a rather poor snapshot of my Merlin head with a 'naked' RS232-TLL adapter (I must put it in box!) based on Tronisoft 4201 module with the Tronisoft BTLink RS232-Bluetooth adapter attached.

You can also see the black cable which is the shutter release cable which is attached to a gentled-Jump IR shutter trigger (that little black box up by the camera handgrip) - the white cable connected below this is from an external mains adapter - click on the picture to view it at a larger size:

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:13 pm 

Hi IRPANO,

Here is a link explaining how to adapt a RS-80N3 (remote controler for Canon 30/40/50D) to make a connection to the Merlin:
http://www.gophotography.net/tips/releasecanon.html

Remarks:

1° Buy a RS-80N3 : Search on EBAY : "RS-80N3" and buy in Hong Kong or similar price
2° Cut the cable of the RS-80N3 and cut the cable delivered with the Merlin head (2.5mm jack "mâle" at both end) and follow the instructions of the link.

(Keep the Hand controler of the RS-80N3, you can put a 2.5mm jack "female" on the wire of the remaining Hand controler and use it with the modified merlin cable)

Claude

Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:55 am 

Thanks Claudevh and Mediavets for the info and images. They make life a whole lot easier fo me. I've contacted tronisoft about supply of the BT equipment and am waiting on their reply. I am unfamiliar with the cable but expect that its just a matter of wiring the different ends to fit the connections on the camera and head. Thanks again
John T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am 

irpano wrote:
Thanks Claudevh and Mediavets for the info and images. They make life a whole lot easier fo me. I've contacted tronisoft about supply of the BT equipment and am waiting on their reply. I am unfamiliar with the cable but expect that its just a matter of wiring the different ends to fit the connections on the camera and head. Thanks again
John T

WRT the shutter release cable - here are some cheap third-party items listed on the eBay Australia site that would do fine to cannibalise for that Canon specific connector, as described by Claude:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=RS-80N3&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This seems to be the cheapest:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RS-80N3-Remote-Control-for-Canon-1D-5D-10D-20D-30D-40D_W0QQitemZ170277649792QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170277649792&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The idea is to cut the cable of the remote control - then join the end with the Canon connector to part of the camera cable supplied with the head (which you also cut) which has a 2.5mm stereo jack on each end - so you end up with a cable with 2.5mm stereo jack on one end and the Canon connector on the other.

Connect this re-modelled cable between the camera cable socket on the Merlin head and your Canon 30D camera's remote control socket and then Papywizard will trigger the camera automatically when shooting panos with the Merlin head.

Clause also suggested putting a 2.5mm socket on the cut end of the cable attached to the remote control so you could still use it with the re-modelled cable if you wanted to.

Photos show the standard camera release cable supplied with the Merlin head and a suitable cheap remote for cannibalisation.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 am 

Don't cut the cable

buy a remote with connector and plug in the Merlin

I found this one looking for "canon remote cable" on ebay

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am 

irpano wrote:
Thanks Claudevh and Mediavets for the info and images. They make life a whole lot easier fo me. I've contacted tronisoft about supply of the BT equipment and am waiting on their reply.
John T

Here's what you need from Tronisoft:

The 4201 RS232-TTL module - http://www.tronisoft.com/4201.php

A RS232-Bluetooth adapter - http://www.tronisoft.com/2749.php

If you want to create a Bluetooth wireless serial cable replacement so you can have a wireless link from a Windows PC to the Merlin head then buy a pair of RS232-Bluetooth adapters - http://www.tronisoft.com/2750.php

You will find very good information on how to set up BTLink Bluetooth adapters here - the information, and Windows-based configuration software, relates to the LM Technologies LM058 adapter but it works just the same with the Tronisoft BTLink Bluetooth adapter that uses the same chipset:
http://www.wcscnet.com/Products/HdwBTRS232/HdwBTRS232Support.htm

You will also need 2 x 220 ohm resistors - the Tronisoft guy posted a message on this forum to say he'd supply them FOC if you mention 'Papywizard' when ordering:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p31071-2008-10-20-22-28-09#p31071

Here's a link to a post by Claude that more clearly shows how to wire up the 4201:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p30622-2008-10-12-15-57-21#p30622

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:46 am 

Paul wrote:
Don't cut the cable

buy a remote with connector and plug in the Merlin

I found this one looking for "canon remote cable" on ebay

This the one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Cable-Switch-for-Canon-EOS-5D-30D-20D-RS-80N3_W0QQitemZ120330337496QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120330337496&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Do you know, for certain, that plugging standard camera release cable into this will work with Merlin/Papywizard?

Would make it easier I guess for Canon XXD owners, and you could also use it independently of Merlin/Papywizard, albeit at the 'expense' of having another 'box' to deal with.

This one has same 2.5mm socket I believe and is said to have a much superior Canon-style connector with locking ring and to be better built - http://photonotes.org/reviews/wired-remotes/ - but it is also larger and a bit more expensive (37 AUD):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corde-a-distance-Canon-5D-II-50D-40D-30D-1D-1Ds-RS-80N3_W0QQitemZ270298005796QQihZ017QQcategoryZ68129QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Remote-Switch-Canon-1D-1Ds-40D-30D-50D-5D-II-RS-80N3_W0QQitemZ260299411148QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260299411148&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:06 pm 

The Merlin/Orion head has a socket for connecting a shutter release cable - it is supplied with a cable with 2.5mm stereo jack plugs on each end which will work 'out-of-the-box' with the low end range of Canon DSLRs - the 300D, 350D, 400D and 450D, aka the digital Rebel range in the USA.

You can modify this cable to work with cameras requiring a different connector at the camera end. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to buy an appropriate cheap remote control (from eBay) and cannibalise the cable to assemble a 'hybrid' cable using part of the standard cable, so that you have the camera specific connector on one end and the 2.5mm stereo jack plug at the other to connect to the camera socket on the Merlin head.

There are some posts here about how to do that for the Canon XXD series of DSLRs:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p32348-yesterday-18-13-01#p32348

What if you would like to use Merlin/Papywizard but your camera does not have a socket for a wired remote control....how can Merlin/Papywizard automatically trigger the shutter while shooting a panorama?

If like my Nikon D40 (also the case with the D40X, D50 and D60) your camera does not have a socket for a wired remote but does support an IR remote then you may be able to use the gentled-JUMP IR shutter trigger device:
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/options.htm#IRjump

The gentled-JUMP has the advantage of having its own battery to provide power and it works just fine with my D40 using the standard camera cable supplied with the Merlin/Orion head - a 'plug-n-play' solution - see photo below.

The gentled-JUMP should work with any camera that will work with one of the following IR remotes:

If you are more adept at DIY than I am you should also be able to configure the gentled-SHUTTER IR cable - but you will have to provide power to it (perhaps from the Tronisoft 4201?) and add a suitable 2.5mm jack connector to connect it to the head:
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/options.htm#IRshutter

The gentled-SHUTTER should work with any camera that will work with one of the following IR remotes:

If you camera does not support either a wired or IR remote then you can still use the Merlin/Papywizard motorised pano head system but you will have to press the shutter button yourself. Papywizard can be configured for manual shooting - when it will stop at each position and wait until the user chooses to resume.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 pm 

Hello again mediavets,
I've ordered all of the componentry for the canon 30D with the merlin head and its on its way. Whilst i wait for it to arrive i have tested the head with its own control pad and a sony H717 camera. The camera outlet on the head (As I understand) is a mono plug and the plug for the camera is a stero type. Do you or anyone else know if there is a cable to suit or will a mono to mono cable suffice. I assume that the stereo plug is to control Zoom as well as release the shutter. I'm happy to set the focus on the camera manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:44 pm 

What camera outlet are you talking about? Merlin's one? It is a stereo plug, but act like a mono; there is only 1 contact in the head...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 am 

irpano wrote:
Hello again mediavets,
I've ordered all of the componentry for the Canon 30D with the merlin head and its on its way. Whilst i wait for it to arrive i have tested the head with its own control pad and a sony H717 camera. The camera outlet on the head (As I understand) is a mono plug and the plug for the camera is a stero type. Do you or anyone else know if there is a cable to suit or will a mono to mono cable suffice. I assume that the stereo plug is to control Zoom as well as release the shutter. I'm happy to set the focus on the camera manually.

As Frederic says it is stereo socket on the head but 'acts' as a mono.

You should have received a cable with the Merlin head that has a 2.5mm stereo jack plug on each end. That cable will work 'out-of-the box' with low end Canon DSLRs - 300D, 350D, 400D and 450D (aka digital Rebel range in tghe USA) - as I have said in other posts:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p32379-yesterday-13-06-06#p32379

It does not also control the zoom - it just triggers the shutter. If you camera is set to autofocus it will autofocus then take a picture. But it is conventional always to use manual focus, and manual exposure settings, when shooting panos.

The method of adapting that cable to work with other cameras - particularly the Canon XXD range was described in detail in earlier posts:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p32379-yesterday-13-06-06#p32379
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p32348-yesterday-18-13-01#p32348

Did you mean Sony F717 or Sony H7? I don't think there is or was an H717.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:06 am 

Hi again
Sorry to be a pain but its seems that my head may be different to that of yours. Ive contacted the distributors about it but they have no idea how its works (Only howmuch it costs). The enclosed image shows the connections at on the head.
Top - Snap - I assume the outlet for the camera
middle - In - 12 dc
bottom - out - 12 dc
Pin configuration centre + outer -

The trial camera is a Sony DSC F717 (sorry)
The remote connection on the Camera is stereo.
So is the top socket on the head a stero acting as a mono ?

and as a 12 volt batery setup to plug into the IN socket on the head does not deliver any power do I have a defective unit.
Sorry also if I cant reply in the near future As I have been called away urgently
Regards
John
IMG[C:\Documents and Settings\John Tomley\Desktop\merlin hread.jpg]img

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:08 am 

Sorry The image name was mispelt
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\John%20Tomley\Desktop\Merlin%20head.jpg[/img]

Last edited by irpano on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:47 am 

It is right that the documentation is not very clear...

1) the 2.5mm jack plug is a sterero plug, but the common (ring at the cable side of the male connector), and the first contact (middle ring) arewired together; again, there is only 1 contact drived by the head. For most camera, just drive both AF and shutter trigger contacts with Merlin contact, so both cycle will occure at the same time (well, one after the other), like if you press you shutter button full down.

2) The AC outlets are wired together. There is an internal diode to prevent the batteries voltage to output on these plugs, so they are just inputs. They are labeled in and out, just because you can re-use your external power-supply for something else even if pluged in the Merlin (you can chained your devices).

Hope this is more clear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:28 am 

irpano wrote:
Hi again

and as a 12 volt battery setup to plug into the IN socket on the head does not deliver any power do I have a defective unit.
Sorry also if I cant reply in the near future As I have been called away urgently
Regards
John

John

I've used a 12VDC 500ma external mains adapter plugged into the Merlin IN socket and it works fine. Frederic says 9VDC is enough too. Make sure you use the correct size of jack connector to get good contacts.

8xAA batteries can be fitted internally - you can use NiMH rechargeables.

If you want a higher capacity (external) rechargable battery source then the Power Tank lead acid battery packs look quite handy:
http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/Skywatcher/generalaccessories/7ahpowersupply.html
http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/Skywatcher/generalaccessories/17ahpowersupply.html