Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 pm 

I have a question on the communications protocol used between Papywizard and the Merlin/Orion/AllView mount. As I understand it from looking at the instruction manual for my AllView mount, most of the commands are sent in ASCII with only a few commands using byte level values. For instance, I should be able to use a terminal program to send the mount a "Kx" and get "X#" in response or send an "E" and get the declination back. So I set up my Windows XP laptop with Papywizard and all worked well together. However, when I try the same physical set up using a terminal emulation program to send ASCII to the mount, all I get back is an echo of the characters I typed and no other response or head movement. Are there some undocumented codes that need to be sent first or are the commands put in a packet rather that just straight ASCII?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:01 pm 

Hello Phil,

All skywatcher Merlin/AllView mount protocol has been described by Skywatcher people with some exemples:
https://code.google.com/p/skywatcher/wiki/SkyWatcherProtocol

The next Android applications have been build using this "native protocol":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skywatcher.PanoramaApp&hl=fr
This one use the exemple described into "Google Code" = very similar as the panorama program of the Allview ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fvh.panoramic.pandroidwiz&hl=fr
This one is a very powerfull "Mini Android Papywizard" who is using the Papywizard XML presets that you know allready ...

Claude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:12 pm 

Thank you, Claude. I tried it using Hyper Terminal and it works quite well. It's completely different than the protocol supplied in the Skywatcher AllView manual, I don't know where the tech writer that put the manual together got the info. The documentation in the manual appears to be the Celestron protocol. Must have been a hurry up and cut and paste job.