New to Merlin/Papywizard and with lots of questions  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
PerspectiveGoldberg

New to Merlin/Papywizard and with lots of questions

by PerspectiveGoldberg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Hello, during the last week I have tried to set up the Merlin head with bluetooth dongle and Papywizard on a Nokia N810. I'm making very slow progress and would appreciate any help I can get. I have meanwhile managed to do a mosaic and the files are in the N810. However, I can't find a way to move them to my Mac. When I connect the N810, it only shows an empty file and an empty folder. So this is one of my main problems.
The second problem is that the Papywizard does not give me an opportunity to work with "Mirror-Up". This makes it quite useless for me, because I mainly have rather long exposure times on a Canon 5d II, which has quite a shutter-shake.
Can anybody help please? Thank you.

no avatar
mediavets

Re: New to Merlin/Papywizard and with lots of questions

by mediavets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm

PerspectiveGoldberg wrote:Hello, during the last week I have tried to set up the Merlin head with bluetooth dongle and Papywizard on a Nokia N810. I'm making very slow progress and would appreciate any help I can get. I have meanwhile managed to do a mosaic and the files are in the N810. However, I can't find a way to move them to my Mac. When I connect the N810, it only shows an empty file and an empty folder. So this is one of my main problems.

Welcome to the forum...

You need to set the place that XML files are written to part of the N810 file system that's accessible when the N810 is connected to you Mac, in other words to one of the SD cards.

You can change that setting in Config - see screenshot 1 below.

Once that's done it should be simple to access and copy the XML data files created by Papywizard if Mac shows the SD cards as extra drives as Windows does (I've no experience of Macs) - see screenshot 2 below.

Alternatively after setting up correctly you could remove the SD card and read it using a card reader.

The second problem is that the Papywizard does not give me an opportunity to work with "Mirror-Up". This makes it quite useless for me, because I mainly have rather long exposure times on a Canon 5d II, which has quite a shutter-shake.
Can anybody help please? Thank you.

Did you look at the Shutter plugin config options? See screenshot 3 below.
Attachments
pw-data-directory.png
pw-usb-connected.jpg
pw-mirror-lockup.png

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 pm

You will find an illustrated explanation of the shutter trigger sequence here:

http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/TipsAndTricks

no avatar
PerspectiveGoldberg

by PerspectiveGoldberg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Thank you so much, mediavets. I feel a lot more comfortable now and am confident that I will get there in the end. I haven't got an sd-card for the Nokia yet, so I had to order one. Also, I don't seem to have the shutter plug-in. Maybe I can download it somewhere?
Would you think that I'd better buy a windows netbook instead of using the Nokia? If it's easier, I don't mind spending that bit more.
I was hoping to be able to use the Merlin during a journey next month, but I think it will be better to stick with the Panosaurus for that journey and spend the long winter nights trying to get used to the Merlin.
By the way, if you'd like to see some of my mosaics done with the Panosaurus, here's a link: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/95e707f6-3786 ... tml#slide0
Thank you again for all your help, I am very grateful.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:49 pm

PerspectiveGoldberg wrote:Thank you so much, mediavets. I feel a lot more comfortable now and am confident that I will get there in the end. I haven't got an sd-card for the Nokia yet, so I had to order one.

Does you N800 have an Internal SD card - N800 has two SD card slots one internal accessible by removing back cover - most do I think, if so then you can configure to use that for destination of XML files, choose mmc-undefined-name-internal.

Also, I don't seem to have the shutter plug-in. Maybe I can download it somewhere?

You will have been prompted to select plugins on starting Papwizard (PW) for the first time; to revisit click in top bar then select Hardware and plugins.

Configure as shown in Screenshot 1.

Then in Config section choose Plugins tab and Configure shutter - see screenshot 2 and 3

Would you think that I'd better buy a windows netbook instead of using the Nokia? If it's easier, I don't mind spending that bit more.

I think N800 is easy enough - and considerably smaller and light than a Netbook - Papywizard looks very much the same on both platforms - perhaps you have already tried the windows version on a desktop of laptop? Bluetooth connection is actually rather easier to setup on the N800 in my experience. The display of a Netbook may be more readily viewable outdoors than that of an N800?

But if you are considering something other than the N800 running Papywizard, then rather than buying a Netbook you might instead consider the T&C touch controller, which runs its own firmware rather than Papywizard and connects directly to the Merlin mount:
http://www.typeandcolour.de/index.php?l ... schreibung

I was hoping to be able to use the Merlin during a journey next month, but I think it will be better to stick with the Panosaurus for that journey and spend the long winter nights trying to get used to the Merlin.

The Panosaurus is relatively light weight so perhaps take both?

But if this is a once in a lifetime journey is to take panos of special scenes then be cautious of using any equipment you are not very familiar with.
Attachments
1-pw-hardware-plugins.png
2-pw-plugins-config-shutter.png
3-pw-shutterplugin-config.png

Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard