Trouble with merlin controller, Set-Go flashes  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
paulcotto

Trouble with merlin controller, Set-Go flashes

by paulcotto » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 am

I built a USB to TTL cable for the merlin head last week and it worked perfectly. Then I decided to build a bluetooth-TTL cable using this bluetooth-TTL modem. Model: BT0417CB

http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=428

I used a car cigarette lighter to 5 volt adapter to power the 5 volts for the modem by tapping the 12 volt connection from the merlin AUX port. Then I soldered the 2 330 ohm resistors to the com pin on from the aux port. I plugged it in and the modem leds light up and blinked. I configured the bluetooth setup to connect to the serial port and everything seemed OK. Then I plugged the hand controller into the merlin mount. This is where the problem started. The controller continuously flashes SET and GO and the GUIDE1 button is continuously ON. The hand controller no longer commands the merlin mount and I cant figure out what to do to fix it. I tried communicating with my wired USB-TTL cable but Papywizard no longer connects to the merlin. I think something is seriously wrong with the merlin internal controller like maybe I damaged it while testing my bluetooh-TTL modem.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem? Is there some way to reset the Merlin internal controller?

Thanks,
Paul Cotto

fma38

by fma38 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:54 am

I don't think you broke anything. Just unplug the hand controller; using 2 controllers at the same time on the Merlin does not work (the outputs are over-loaded).
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

no avatar
paulcotto

by paulcotto » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:09 pm

fma38 wrote:I don't think you broke anything. Just unplug the hand controller; using 2 controllers at the same time on the Merlin does not work (the outputs are over-loaded).

I have tried it with just the hand control and cycled the power on and off, removed the battery etc. The same thing happens. I even tried to connect using windows hyperterminal as you instructed in anothe post but I receive no reply from the Merlin.

Thanks for your help.

claudevh

by claudevh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Hello Paul,

Is the Merlin still working with the wired USB to TTL ?
Wich type or Merlin do-you have (Non Goto with the small hand-controler or Goto with the big hand-controler (this one have a small screen)
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
paulcotto

by paulcotto » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:09 pm

I have been unable to connect papy to the Merlin. I have the small hand control with no LCD.

fma38

by fma38 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm

It does not sound good :(
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

claudevh

by claudevh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Paul,

As you describe ... I believe that the problem can come from the "signal wire" inside the Merlin ...
The 2 RJ plugs are wired in parallel, could you please try the one and then the other with the hand controler ... If you get the same symptoms, could you control inside the Merlin if one or more wires are disconnected ?

At the RJ connectors you have normally 3 wires:
Ground
+VCC
Signal

Ground and VCC are for sure OK ... otherways you will not get the buttons blinking on the remote controler !
Maybe is the signal cable disconnected between the RJ's connectors and the main board in the Merlin !!!

Just a small comment about the BT module that you have used, according the documentation this module is TTL 3.3 V and not TTL 5.0 V like the Merlin ... ( power supply is 5V but not the TTL signals, this could work ... but !!!!)

What about your USB to TTL device ? (Brand & Type ?)

Good luck !!!

A last thing , BE SURE THAT THE BATTERIES ARE FRESH (or freshly loaded) , a poor battery set give exactly the same problems !!!

P.S. do-you live in North America ?
:cool: Claude :cool:
Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano
Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye
Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

no avatar
paulcotto

by paulcotto » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 am

claudevh wrote:Paul,

As you describe ... I believe that the problem can come from the "signal wire" inside the Merlin ...
The 2 RJ plugs are wired in parallel, could you please try the one and then the other with the hand controler ... If you get the same symptoms, could you control inside the Merlin if one or more wires are disconnected ?

At the RJ connectors you have normally 3 wires:
Ground
+VCC
Signal

Ground and VCC are for sure OK ... otherways you will not get the buttons blinking on the remote controler !
Maybe is the signal cable disconnected between the RJ's connectors and the main board in the Merlin !!!

Just a small comment about the BT module that you have used, according the documentation this module is TTL 3.3 V and not TTL 5.0 V like the Merlin ... ( power supply is 5V but not the TTL signals, this could work ... but !!!!)

What about your USB to TTL device ? (Brand & Type ?)

Good luck !!!

-- The same thing happens with the controller plugged into either port. I dont think anything is disconnected internally, but I will have a look to be sure. I purchased the Merlin 2 weeks ago so it is still under warranty. I will email support and see about getting it repaired.

Thanks for your help,

Paul Cotto

A last thing , BE SURE THAT THE BATTERIES ARE FRESH (or freshly loaded) , a poor battery set give exactly the same problems !!!

P.S. do-you live in North America ?

-- Yes, Texas USA

no avatar
Sebastian

by Sebastian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 am

I am having the same symptoms now with my head. It does do anything anymore and the controller continuously flashes SET and GO and the GUIDE1 button is continuously ON.

How did you solve the issue in the end?
Apertus - open source cinema
www.apertus.org

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Sebastian wrote:I am having the same symptoms now with my head. It does do anything anymore and the controller continuously flashes SET and GO and the GUIDE1 button is continuously ON.

How did you solve the issue in the end?

Which controller? Which head?

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Sebastian

by Sebastian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:30 pm

klausesser wrote:Which controller? Which head?

Klaus

Merlin/Orin Head

Hand controller:
www.apertus.org

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Sebastian wrote:
klausesser wrote:Which controller? Which head?

Klaus

Merlin/Orin Head

Hand controller:
http://www.teleskop-austria.at/kepek/Merlinbox_big.jpg

ok - that one is NOT for pano-photography use. It´s for astronomical use.

For shooting panos you need a NokiaN800/810, a laptop/MacBook - all runing PapyWizard - the rather new Panoshoot controller using WLan or the widely proven T&C handheld
controller for tethered use (the most straight, reliable and stable connection).

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Sebastian

by Sebastian » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Went to the shop I bought the merlin from and replaced the mainboard(motor controller board). That solved the issues and everything is back to working normal now.
www.apertus.org

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Sebastian wrote:Went to the shop I bought the merlin from and replaced the mainboard(motor controller board). That solved the issues and everything is back to working normal now.

But you don´t use it for panorama-photography, don´t you.

Klaus

Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard