Full Spherical Bracketed Automation?  

Everything you need to motorize your head
no avatar
selfmade64856

Full Spherical Bracketed Automation?

by selfmade64856 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 am

Hi,

This is my first post. I read about the motorized panohead over on the FFC forums. Is it possible to fully automate a bracketed equirectangular projection from first shot to last shot?

Thanks!

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:14 am

selfmade64856 wrote:Hi,

This is my first post. I read about the motorized panohead over on the FFC forums. Is it possible to fully automate a bracketed equirectangular projection from first shot to last shot?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum...

The answer is ... Yes, but with some limitations/restrictions....

The camera must support the use of a wired or infrared remote control.

The extent of the exposure bracketing capability depends on the AEB capability of the camera body or the use of an external device such as the Promote Control.

The maximum positive and negative pitch attainable without collision between between camera/lens and the Panogear/Merlin mount depends on the size of lens and camera body.

There is relatively little scope for adjustment especially on the yaw axis. If the dimension from base of the camera body to centre of the lens mount is more than 40mm you cannot mount the camera/lens at the NPP without modifiying the dovetail mount and /or rail. The same is the case if the diameter of the barrel of the lens is more than 80mm.

The nadir 'footprint' is relatively large compared to that of most manual panoheads.

It is not as fast as more expensive robotic pano heads.

The (much) more expensive Rodeon, Seitz VRDrive and T&C Panoneed robotic pano heads overcome many of the limations/restrictions of the Panogear/Merlin mount, but at a price.

What camera and lens would you like to use on the Panogear/merlin mountto shoot full spherical bracketed panos?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Return to Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard