Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 am 

Press release - Jan 8/2013 CES Las Vegas international Convention Center, USA
[hr /]
Good news for Panogear owners directly from the 2013 CES edition , the international Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, USA.

CES is the source for big announcements and demos from large manufacturers in the consumer electronic industry, and the Panoramic photography is filling a page this year at CES with a new product called PANOSHOOT. A fully functional Panoshoot/Panogear demo is being exhibited at the Murata electronics booth #35818, South Hall.

Panoshoot is a ready to use module with an integrated web server, a serial interface to connect with Panogear and a full wireless connectivity (Wi-Fi b/g/n). The Web server provides a HTML5/JavaScript web page to configure and run mosaics, preset and many other features.

The HTML5 user interface works with ALL modern mobile devices, including Android Smartphones/tablets, iPhones, iPads,WIndows 8 mobile, the new Blackberry 10 and the standard PC/laptop with modern browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, IE 10, safari and Opera.

The Wi-Fi can operate in two modes: Soft AP (a private Wi-Fi network, that doesn’t require a Wi-Fi router) and the infrastructure mode, like all Wi-Fi networks that we have in our homes. The Panogear can be controlled from a remote location if the Wi-Fi network has internet access.

The Panoshoot module includes an advanced voice interpreter, so the panogear can be operateD by just talking to your Smartphone (this was a fun test that we did at the show). We only have the opportunity to test this feature with a Samsung Galaxy Smartphone (android), so we don’t know if the voice functionality will work on iPhones. The voice interpreter requires internet connectivity to operate properly (it use Google voice services)
The mosaic setup includes Google earth imaging for easy Field of View estimation on panoramic outdoor photography (Google earth basic support requires internet access).
The Panoshoot module can be configured with the GPS location and full earth orientation automatically from the Smartphone/Tablet, so the XML export file will include a complete description about the panoramic session position. (Yaw angles are directly related with earth magnet North Pole and pitch angles are related directly with the horizontally earth axis).

Additionally, the Panoshoot include a joystick to move the Panogear in both axis and is capable to trigger a user pre-defined routine (usually a mosaic). This functionality runs autonomously (no Smartphone/PC/tablet required to activate)

According with the Panoshoot developers, the Panoshoot module provide up to 80.000 standard definition Picpoints (they call a yaw/pitch angular position as "Pictpoints") that can be configured easily with a single spreadsheet file (Comma delimited format) or by introducing them manually. The developers announce that the Panoshoot store up to 16 different camera profiles, each one with up to 8 different time settings(pauses, shoot time, etc) and bracketing/performance definition for up to 128 possible combinations. Some features related with Panoshoot are covered by a patent pending application.
Panoshoot developers will release a complete API for 3rd party developers and photographer enthusiast to expand the Panoshoot functionality and create advanced plug-ins easily with JavaScript and standard HTML/HTML5. The API includes documentation, samples and a JSON interface for quick JavaScript integration. The web site will be released under Open source HTML5/JavaScript license.

Panoshoot has an ARM processor + Broadcom Wi-Fi chipset fully integrated by Murata electronics.
According with the Murata wireless marketing Manager Mr. Yong, ”... the Panoshoot is the first product released with the new Murata SN8200/Broadcom WICED technology in the world…”.
The hardware, firmware, API and HTML5/JavaScript web site were developed by a group of independent industry expert developers that didn’t reveal details about price and how they will market and sell the new Panoshoot, however they reveal that the Panoshoot will be available just after the CES exhibition.

There are many other wonderful Panoshoot features that we will explore these days at the CES show to provide more details.

First picture at CES Murata booth.

Last edited by javqui on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 am 

Nice!

I'm more and more convinced that html5/javascript is a good way to develop many modern applications...

And with the SDK, it will be possible to add new features (like Papywizard xml import/export, drivers for other panoheads...).

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 am 

But the price... glups!

http://www.panoramicessentials.com/panoshoot-wireless-control-solution-for-panogear.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 am 

fma38 wrote:
Nice!

I'm more and more convinced that html5/javascript is a good way to develop many modern applications...

And with the SDK, it will be possible to add new features (like Papywizard xml import/export, drivers for other panoheads...).

Yes, it will be a good opportunity for innovative developers and creative enthusiast to build plugins or create a complete new web page. HTML5/javascript is a flexible, easy to work platform with animation support, powerful User Interface graphics and well documented free development tools. HTML/Javascript/CSS is the internet core.

At the end , the Web user interface is the only visible and most important component of panoshoot/panogear and it can be improved by the user community.

P.D.
According with the Panoshoot developers, the Panoshoot include an internal CORS handler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing a critical key to fully support access from external web sites, so the Panoshoot can be handled by an external web page (including internet web pages) with the simple Panoshoot API interface if the Panoshoot/panogear owner authorize the access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:19 am 

fma38 wrote:

Good search!!.
I will confirm tomorrow at the show if it will be the real price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am 

javqui wrote:
fma38 wrote:

Good search!!.
I will confirm tomorrow at the show if it will be the real price.

US$249.99 for US customers is less than the 250 Euros + VAT price of the Kolor/T&C Touch controller for European customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am 

javqui wrote:
The hardware, firmware, API and HTML5/JavaScript web site were developed by a group of independent industry expert developers that didn’t reveal details about price and how they will market and sell the new Panoshoot, however they reveal that the Panoshoot will be available just after the CES exhibition.

There are many other wonderful Panoshoot features that we will explore these days at the CES show to provide more details.

Of course the physical and electronic limitations of the Merlin/Panogear mount still remain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm 

enlighten me...
for what reason I do need a voice control to drive a panohead;
do you wanna drive your panohead & camera via wifi remotely from 80m away in a croudy place (without having a good theft insurance);
do you wanna let the general public have access to your panohead while you're trying to shoot a pano;
why on backside of this device is a joystick but nowhere a single diode or 1bit character display so you can see what you're doing with the joystick (if you now say that you have your ipad for that seeing what you do with the joystick I just reply than why not using the virtual joystick on the ipad insead);
why I wanna programm the 80.000 picpositions manually while I'm on scene;
why I have to use scotch tape to fix the device (as shown on above image) on my merlin so the merlin can turn around the head without touching the joystick of the device's backside;

im lost.

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
enlighten me...

why I have to use scotch tape to fix the device (as shown on above image) on my merlin so the merlin can turn around the head without touching the joystick of the device's backside

That does seem particularly clumsy.

I didn't see any information about battery life/autonomy, did you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm 

Hi Georg,
thanks for you comments.

gkaefer wrote:
enlighten me... im lost.

I will try my best to answer your questions and turn on the lights.
Today, the technology offer many options to choose. Cable/Satellite TV providers put on our TVs hundreds of channels. SmartPhones/tablets give us the interface to use a couple of hundred thousand apps. An internet browser is a window to billion web sites around the world.
We have the options; we select what features we need and what available options we want.

gkaefer wrote:
for what reason I do need a voice control to drive a panohead;

Probably by a similar reason than Apple and Google spend about $200M on Siri and Google voice. You can search or send commands to your mobile device by typing, touching or talking. It’s your option. Portrait or Landscape is your option.

gkaefer wrote:
do you wanna drive your panohead & camera via wifi remotely from 80m away in a croudy place (without having a good theft insurance);

Yo can drive your Panohead from a place at thousand kilometers if your session need it (and have internet on both ends). I was in some places where I will never leave my camera or Smartphone far than my arm length plus 20% even with the best insurance.

gkaefer wrote:
do you wanna let the general public have access to your panohead while you're trying to shoot a pano;

Today, I don’t need travel to the beautiful Paris (will be great) to type my report on Kolor forum. Similar as my bank give me the option to make a transfer on internet.

gkaefer wrote:
why on backside of this device is a joystick but nowhere a single diode or 1bit character display so you can see what you're doing with the joystick (if you now say that you have your ipad for that seeing what you do with the joystick I just reply than why not using the virtual joystick on the ipad insead);

How do you know that there is not a diode or a display character?.
We have our beautiful screens in our smartphone/tablet/pc. HTML5 provide spectacular graphic user interface capabilities, better than a mini light or a bunch of buttons. The Panoshoot web site has the obvious virtual joystick. When you move the joystick the head start moving, this is your feedback. You don’t need an indicator in your game pad or in the instruments panel of your car to indicate the position of the drive wheel.

But your smartphone battery is down and you need to shoot the session. Just make final adjustments with the joystick and then press the joystick button to shoot your session. Panoshoot will trigger your pre-defined complex session for you without your smartphone or heavy laptop.

gkaefer wrote:
why I wanna programm the 80.000 picpositions manually while I'm on scene;

Well, I will never try to type a 100 page document or edit a multipage spreadsheet with my smartphone or tablet. I will type short emails.
If your preset photographic session needs to handle and store 80.000 points probably you will need a computer with full keyboard and some computational support to calculate most of the points with a function. A spreadsheet support is good for that. Panoshoot will import your points definition from the spreadsheet and store them to use when you need it on your scene. Even 2000 points will not be a 2 minutes session on your smartphone. (I can image a photographic preset session with this amount of points, but this is the internal storage limit.
For onsite preset definition, you will introduce your points manually with your voice, the real joystick, the virtual joystick, the gravitational/magnetic sensors of your smartphone/tablet or by typing them as numbers. Usually these last-minute onsite preset definitions are just some points.

gkaefer wrote:
why I have to use scotch tape to fix the device (as shown on above image) on my merlin so the merlin can turn around the head without touching the joystick of the device's backside;

There was a lot of scotch tape around and everywhere the last Monday when the picture was taken. The CES was not open to general public at this moment.
The Panoshoot has similar proportions and cable size than your current Bluetooth blue module. Use the Panoshoot as you use your Bluetooth box. I’m confident than you will see more pictures soon, including “hamburger photographic studio styles”.

I’m on the way to the CES show this morning to ask for more information.

Hope this post will be useful for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 pm 

thanks for your extensive reply.

your question: where I can see that no LCD or diode is used on this device?
well looking at these images: http://www.panoramicessentials.com/panoshoot-wireless-control-solution-for-panogear.html you can see 5 of 6 sides of the device. 6 screws, 1 joystick with direct look to the platine! (one raindrop and all is gone) . and the above image here on forum with the scotch taped device you can see side 6 of 6 of the device. no diode, no LCD or whatever.

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 pm 

fma38 wrote:
But the price... glups!
http://www.panoramicessentials.com/pano … ogear.html

No confirmation or any additional word from Panoshoot, so I assume that the price that you found probably will be the final price.

mediavets wrote:
Of course the physical and electronic limitations of the Merlin/Panogear mount still remain.

Physical limitations like max weight capacity still in place, but no for others like precision and speed.
Not sure how, but according with developers, Panoshoot use an expanded set of interface commands with panogear that were available since the beginning but previous apps didn't take advantage of the full Panogear interface set.

Panoshoot has an update subsystem with the capacity to update the Panoshoot and the Panogear firmware wirelessly, without any custom cable.

gkaefer wrote:
thanks for your extensive reply....

Thanks for your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm 

Hello "javqui".

Welcome on board.
Thank-you for all those very usefull informations.

Do-you have participated to the development of the PanoShoot ?
I have seen your web site about the "Ipodito" ...
Are you working with Adam Shehadeh from "Panoramicessentials" ?

Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 pm 

javqui wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Physical limitations like max weight capacity still in place, but no for others like precision and speed.
Not sure how, but according with developers, Panoshoot use an expanded set of interface commands with panogear that were available since the beginning but previous apps didn't take advantage of the full Panogear interface set.

Hmmmm........not sure I believe that.

I wasn't aware that documentation had ever been released by Synta for the Merlin mount command set.

I believe Frederic had to 'reverse engineer' it via trial and error in order to develop Paywizard.

But we'll have to wait for someone to do some trials to determine performance in the real world compared to Papywizard or the T&C/Kolor Touch controller.

The major limitation of lack of adjustment on the yaw axis of the standard Merlin mount remains.

You have to physically modify the dovetail clamp and or rail to mount a DSLR at the NPP in portrait orientation if the dimension between the base of camera to centre of the lens mount exceeds approx. 40mm, and/or the diameter of the lens barrel exceeds approx. 80mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:19 am 

We will have to make reverse enigneering on this module too, to find new commands ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm 

mediavets wrote:
I didn't see any information about battery life/autonomy, did you?

Panoshoot is powered by the Panogear, no battery inside
Consumption is about the same than Bluetooth in average.
Panoshoot does not require RF power (wireless communication) to shoot a session, only to interact with the user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm 

claudevh wrote:
Hello "javqui".

Welcome on board.
Thank-you for all those very usefull informations.

Do-you have participated to the development of the PanoShoot ?
I have seen your web site about the "Ipodito" ...
Are you working with Adam Shehadeh from "Panoramicessentials" ?

Thank you claudevh, is an honor for me be part of this community and contribute with my sand grain.

I had been participated in many product developments in the last 25 years (so i'm not too young), including the iPodito that you mention and others like the Blicopterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJ4jIvf_NE and most recently the first Android camera with optical lens last year, between others.

The Panoshoot involves many technologies and hardware/software developers. One objective of my visit to the CES was meet part of the developers group (particularly the great Murata SN8200 wireless engineers team) and validate the final product.

I was helping with details directly and indirectly (there are some libraries that I develop some time ago for other products that were included in the Panoshoot product).

After several days of meetings at CES this week, I got a deep knowledge about the Panoshoot product, so I will be able to help with support and to provide an interface with the different developers group.

I suggest some hardware and software improvements that will be included in the final release, for the benefit of all us.

I had been talking and chatting with Adam Shehadeh from panoramic essentials the last 6 months. Shehadeh is the promoter of this new concept. I meet him here at CES. Adam is an exceptional guy.

All developers related with the Panogear interface mention that the papywizard is a professional work with very high quality software development standards, all across. This previous work was fundamental to build the Panoshoot interface with panogear. Hats off to Frederik and all developers related with Papywizard.

Hope this post help to clarify who am I. Sorry if I didn't start from this point, but the heavy CES schedule and the excitement of the successful results of the Panoshoot validation were unavoidable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:05 pm 

fma38 wrote:
We will have to make reverse enigneering on this module too, to find new commands ;)

Hi Frederic,
I think will not be necessary. We consider you part of the team. You will have access to the full extended Panogear documentation interface set that we found. Just contact me. I will be back at office next week.

We are testing a new panogear firmware update that will eliminate the tedious and power consuming position polling. For sure you know what we are talking about (constant position request). With this firmware improvement your Papywizard app will work a lot better and smoothly.
This panogear update is in beta version and is not available yet. I will keep you informed about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Hmmmm........not sure I believe that.

I wasn't aware that documentation had ever been released by Synta for the Merlin mount command set.

I believe Frederic had to 'reverse engineer' it via trial and error in order to develop Paywizard.

But we'll have to wait for someone to do some trials to determine performance in the real world compared to Papywizard or the T&C/Kolor Touch controller.

Panoshoot simplify the concept of speed and precision with a single user parameter: "trade off speed/precision performance".
It is a single percent number between 0% and 100%.
If you want to maximize precision with no interest in speed (astronomy photography sessions or similars) you will use 0%-30%, if you want maximum speed with minimum precision (like panoramics with high overlap percent) you will use 70%-100%.

We found at least 30 more commands with Panogear than previous apps were using. Some are very useful, some are not too useful at all.

Regarding Panogear mechanical specifications like camera mounting and weight, Panoshoot will not provide improvements for obvious reasons.

Panoshoot provide a simple,quick but very effective mechanism to calibrate and adjust the Panogear with your smartphone/tablet in around 3-5 seconds. Due Panoshoot use the original command set developed to move the panogear, it will potentially extend the life of gears and motors with the original Panogear specs for acceleration and brake curves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:37 pm 

javqui wrote:
After several days of meetings at CES this week, I got a deep knowledge about the Panoshoot product, so I will be able to help with support and to provide an interface with the different developers group.

Hi!

Can you tell us about your experiences as a panorama-photographer in real life?
For how long are you doing it?
What kind of equipment are you using? Manually, motorized head? Fisheyes, 35mm 50mm or Tele-lenses?
What kind of panoramas are you shooting actually? What is your average size/resolution?

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:04 pm 

javqui wrote:
fma38 wrote:

Hi Frederic,
I think will not be necessary. We consider you part of the team. You will have access to the full extended Panogear documentation interface set that we found. Just contact me. I will be back at office next week.

We are testing a new panogear firmware update that will eliminate the tedious and power consuming position polling. For sure you know what we are talking about (constant position request). With this firmware improvement your Papywizard app will work a lot better and smoothly.
This panogear update is in beta version and is not available yet. I will keep you informed about it.

That would be nice!

Folks, there won't be a 3.0 release of Papywizard ;) But if it is possible to improve the current version by using a few new firmware commands, I will be happy to do so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 am 

klausesser wrote:

Hi Klaus,
Well, all the experience that I have with panoramic photography come from Adam. He introduces me on this wonderful panoramic world. Adam is the expert in photography and panoramics.
Formally, I’m a hardware/software developer, mainly for advanced control systems and robotic devices. I got some experience with digital imaging by developing products for 3D video imaging processing in real time and integration work with the android phone/camera.
Regarding Panoshoot, this is a highly integrated controller with WiFi capabilities and novelty concepts that involved several developers’ group expertise. An integrated development vision and multidisciplinary expertise is mandatory these days to create a high quality product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 am 

javqui wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Hi Klaus,
Well, all the experience that I have with panoramic photography come from Adam. He introduces me on this wonderful panoramic world. Adam is the expert in photography and panoramics.
Formally, I’m a hardware/software developer, mainly for advanced control systems and robotic devices. I got some experience with digital imaging by developing products for 3D video imaging processing in real time and integration work with the android phone/camera.
Regarding Panoshoot, this is a highly integrated controller with WiFi capabilities and novelty concepts that involved several developers’ group expertise. An integrated development vision and multidisciplinary expertise is mandatory these days to create a high quality product.

Hi!

Thank you for the information!

best regards, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 am 

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Adam Shehadeh, project coordinator of the new Panoshoot module. This thread was created by Javier (Javqui) one of our developers. CES 2013 has gotten us both excited about how far the Panoshoot project has come along and decided it was time to announce Panoshoot to the community. Panoshoot started off as a personal project to make my life easier and then it turned into something bigger and a few months later we find ourselves at CES 2013 exhibiting Panoshoot and Panogear at the Murata booth. This is more than some of you want to know but there are others like me who want to know the how and why that motivates individuals.

Around the time I began pursuing the Panoshoot project I had started Panoramic Essentials to offer U.S., Canadian, and Latin american panoramic photography enthusiasts and professioanls as well as virtual tour developers a knowledgeable source from which they can purchase the hardware and software they need. Sometimes I get ideas and I go into autopilot until the task is finished. I also do virtual tours on the side and was tired of lugging a laptop around when on a job. So I began to look into a solution that would work on my smartphone and tablet. I wanted a solution that would work on all platforms (even Apple users...). In my search for some help I found Javier and after a lot of hard work and persistence we find ourselves here.

Since then it has been a long journey and together we have sacrificed a lot of time and resources to make this a reality. As development moved along we realized the great potential this offered users. Not only will Panoshoot allow users to control Panogear in any platform to perform the tasks we currently employed it for but we can also expand its functionality and allow others to create plug-ins for it.

The website for Panoshoot (www.panoshoot.com ) will be up in the next week or two and Javier and I will try to keep everyone up to date on any new developments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 am 

klausesser wrote:
javqui wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Hi Klaus,

Hi!

Thank you for the information!

best regards, Klaus

I have been working with panoramic photography and virtual tours for almost 6 years. It started off as a hobby and eventually turned into a part-time job. Like most of us hear I began the process of testing the various stitching software packages and hardware to determine what works best. I started with Greg’s Panosaurus and Nodal Ninja for my pano head and Autopano for my stitching software. Once I got the hang of the hardware and software I began exploring virtual tours using krpano. After several months of learning I eventually developed the basic skills needed to create virtual tours. At this time I was in College and this was a hobby.

Most of my commercial experience with virtual tours was through a company I contracted virtual tour work for in my region Columbia, Missouri. I did some residential tours but nothing major. The majority of my photography work is in family portraits. You can see my photography work at www.shehadehphotography.com (I have not had a chance to migrate the entirity of my virtual tour site www.myavatours.com over since my latest website upgrade).

My current gear manifest includes a Canon 5D Mark II with a 15mm Sigma Fisheye, Canon 24-70, Pano-MAXX tripod head and Panogear. I use the Panogear for planned projects and virtual tours but keep the Pano-MAXX in my vehicle for the spur of the moment photo opportunities.

Most of the Panoramas I currently shoot are Landscapes. Currently I am finishing up my Master’s in Economics at the University of Missouri and between school, www.panoramicessentials.com and the Panoshoot project I have little time for anything else.