Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:04 am 

I'm planing to buy a merlin head and control it with Arduino. Is anyone here having experience with this an can tell me if this is still a recommendable way and which software for Arduino is the best?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm 

alexhf wrote:
I'm planing to buy a merlin head and control it with Arduino. Is anyone here having experience with this an can tell me if this is still a recommendable way and which software for Arduino is the best?

Hi Alex,

There is no Arduino software for this.

Just one question ... why look for an Arduino solution? I mean, there is a first class PC-notebook-based and Nokia-mobile-based solution already - the Papywizard software controller - that has taken more than 5 years to develop into its present form of excellence, and it's FREE. Then there is the T&C touch controller sold by Kolor which is an excellent product costing a couple of hundred Euros.

It will take someone at least 2 years hard work to develop an Arduino solution- the standard Arduino IDE is unsuitable because it does not provide a multi-tasking OS, which you will need to provide accurate timing for driving the stepper motors while at the same time updating the angular position in the display and scanning for user input. It's a complex project and the market for pano photography is quite specialized, with only a few thousand enthusiasts with motorized mounts. It's hard to justify anyone making another controller when the existing ones work very well.

Kolor can supply you the whole lot including the Merlin head, a Bluetooth radio interface and controller - called Panogear.

Alternatively there is the new AllView motorized mount, which comes with its own SynScan hand controller for pano shooting.

Best regards,
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 pm 

I know already two Solutions with Arduino to control the Merlin. They were developed 2 or 3 years ago, but I don't know if they're the best solution. The main reason for Arduino is that I don't want to carry a notebook with me. Anyway, I don't have one ;-) The Arduino Controller is power supported by the Merlin batteries.
I'm many times outdoor and shoot panoramas in areas where I have to walk a long way there. So beside the camera and the panohead I don't want to carry more things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 pm 

alexhf wrote:
I know already two Solutions with Arduino to control the Merlin. They were developed 2 or 3 years ago, but I don't know if they're the best solution. The main reason for Arduino is that I don't want to carry a notebook with me. Anyway, I don't have one ;-) The Arduino Controller is power supported by the Merlin batteries.
I'm many times outdoor and shoot panoramas in areas where I have to walk a long way there. So beside the camera and the panohead I don't want to carry more things.

then the T&C handcontroller will be an option for you:

http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/accessories/controleur-tactile-autonome.html?___store=eng&___from_store=default
or @developer:
http://www.typeandcolour.de/index.php?tp=Produkte&up=cont

Georg

EDIT: Funny item found: merlin & arduino. See the attached image - remember: the arduino uno board itself is exact 7.5cm x 5.3cm x 1.6cm
:lol:
http://www.gigapixel.nu/info_project.php

(source and other rebuilds of above instructions: http://www.panorama-forum.net/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5889&s=d73c1d9b6552c44e4cdec64152fb4a0a186b2af6 )

(source: http://www.gigapixel.nu/info_project.php)

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 am 

Arduino software... I didn't hear about this before... But there should be a solution to solve the problem... I agree with above all members, but there should be one software..

Last edited by alexemil5 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.