Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:32 am 

Hi everyone.

many of you have already successfully created HDR panoramic images.
i like to creating a HDRI.map for 3D Maya use, with IBL technique (image base lighting)
just wondering if you can give me some tips on shooting, perticular on my setup

Setup i have is
Nikon D200 + 10.5mm DX fisheye
Merlin Non-Goto
Papywizard on Nokia N800

My Goal:
i like to take 13 angles all together.
in portrait orientation. 12 angles of 360 degree surround
1 angle of up right of the sky.
they will be bracket to 7 exposure for each angle, so at the end i will have 13x7= 91 shots

HELP on
1. Nodal point for my setup
2. preset for this shoot

thank you all in advance!
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 am 

meettyrone wrote:
HELP on

See: http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

From this it looks like 47mm from axis of rotation on yaw axis to base of camera, and 86mm (40+46) from axis of rotation on pitch axis to tripod socket.

So to mount this camera and lens at the NPP you will need to modify the rail and/or dovetail clamp because without modification the max. available 'space' on the yaw axis is 40mm and your D200 needs 47mm. Without modification my D40 fits just fine at the NPP but your D200 won't.

See:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ#How_do_I_mount_my_camera_in_portrait_orientation_on_the_Merlin_mount_.3F

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ#How_do_I_know_if_my_camera_needs_a_.22Merlin.22_modification_in_order_to_align_the_NPP_.3F

You will also need to determine the max. positive pitch you can attain without the camera body colliding with the Merlin/Panogear mount before creating a custom preset.

I can attain +90 with a D40+Nikkor 10.55 fisheye but that might not be possible with the D200.

So ... if you have access to a manual pano head perhaps it would be easier to use that instead of the Merlin/Panogear robotic pano head.

Unless you plan to shoot from a tall mast it's usually quicker and more convenient to shot with a manul lpano head when using fisheye lenses.

Quote:
2. preset for this shoot

I don't understand the shooting pattern you describe, how did you come up with that pattern?

In portrait orientation, 6-around on the yaw axis will cover 360 degrees (on the yaw axis) with sufficient overlap.

You can create preset using any text editor.

Here is how it must be formatted:
http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/UserGuideSvn#Custompresets

The file must be saved with UTF-8 encoding - Windows Notepad offers this option.

The file can have any name but must use the XML file extension.

You can place the file anywhere in the file system of the N800 - I usually copy custom presets to one of the removable SD cards on my N800.

You then load the custom preset file on a per session basis using the File/Import Preset File ... command.

You will then find your new preset in the drop down list of presets avalable in the Prest Tab of the Papywizard UI,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:35 pm 

meettyrone wrote:
Hi everyone.

many of you have already successfully created HDR panoramic images.
i like to creating a HDRI.map for 3D Maya use, with IBL technique (image base lighting)
just wondering if you can give me some tips on shooting, perticular on my setup

Setup i have is
Nikon D200 + 10.5mm DX fisheye
Merlin Non-Goto
Papywizard on Nokia N800

My Goal:
i like to take 13 angles all together.
in portrait orientation. 12 angles of 360 degree surround
1 angle of up right of the sky.
they will be bracket to 7 exposure for each angle, so at the end i will have 13x7= 91 shots

HELP on
2. preset for this shoot

thank you all in advance!
Bill

Hey Bill!

The D200 with the 10,5mm needs 6+Z=7 shots for a full sphere without Nadir (you don´t need a Nadir for IBL usually - but you can retouch a Nadir-hole in Photoshop very easily). For hires spheres use 20mm or 35mm to get more resolution. I used 20mm on a 20D (1,6 crop) for quite a time and had 24 shots for a sphere.

You can find the NPP position for your 10,5mm here: http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

Basically there´s two ways to achive a "true" HDR sphere to use it in Maya for IBL.

first procedure:
1) shooting bracketed (of course)
2) importing the bracketed images into AutoPanoGiga and create stacks.
3) render them as .hdr or .exr to keep the HDR-nature of the file.

second procedure:
1) shooting bracketed.
2) importing the images into APG and create stacks.
3) render them as layers,
4) for saving, write a "%" before the name - this way each layer is seperately rendered using it´s bracketed values.
5) give the seven (or more) layers into a HDR-app like Photomatix for generating a single HDR-image from the bracketed layers and save the result as .exr or .hdr
for importing it in Maya, Cinema4D or others.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.