Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:18 am 

I use a laptop to control pappywizards pitch and pan. I works but I have to be hovering over the laptop all the time.
I would love to know if there might be a way to use a USB gamepad to pan and tilt the Orion/Merlin as wall as the mouse over click on the Pappywizard UI?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:00 am 

I'm not a programmer but using a usb joystick would work if there are hot keys assigned to the up, down, left and right buttons in the pappywizard user interface. Right now the only key assignments I found were "esc" escape, "tab" and "home&end".

Anybody know how I might add windows pc keyboard hot key assignments to the up, down, left, right and shoot buttons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

GRADGUY wrote:
I use a laptop to control pappywizards pitch and pan. I works but I have to be hovering over the laptop all the time.
I would love to know if there might be a way to use a USB gamepad to pan and tilt the Orion/Merlin as wall as the mouse over click on the Pappywizard UI?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

The TC controller (Touch Control Panel) is just as big and just as light as a small package of cigarettes. It has the same fuctionality related to panoshooting that PapyWizard does on a laptop.
Many users of the Merlin head work with the TC. You can order the TC here:
http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/motorized-head/kolor-panogear-motorized-panoramic-head-gigapixel-4.html?___store=eng
(go to "Touch control panel")
or here:
http://www.typeandcolour.de/index.php?tp=Produkte&up=cont

Josef - the designer of the TC panel and the new Panoneed head - sends updates via email for easy maintaining.

best, Klaus

P.S.:

what do you want to do:
Pano-shooting? Then you need the camera to stop and shoot on each position.
Moving the camera remotely for video? Then you need a constant move controlled by a joystick or so.

This are two very different tasks. Doing the latter usually a remote controlled movie-head is used:
http://www.kesslercrane.com/?Click=85

P.S.2:
I remember a device which was shown here - a kind of joystick from a Playstation or so. You could move the head very easily
in all directions for video.
Wasn´t it something with Arduino or so?

Last edited by klausesser on Fri May 18, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:41 am 

I got it to work... I downloaded the latest version and the keyboard inputs work great. However how my tilt controls are reversed and can't seem to figure out how to reverse them. I thought this was adjusted in the Pappywizard shooting menu but after several attempts using different settings I failed to reverse the pitch direction. My canon G10 only fits on the head in one direction. It sits on the head so all the connections are out on the right side. The left side of the camera sits flush with the pano head.

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:37 am 

GRADGUY wrote:
I got it to work... I downloaded the latest version and the keyboard inputs work great. However how my tilt controls are reversed and can't seem to figure out how to reverse them. I thought this was adjusted in the Pappywizard shooting menu but after several attempts using different settings I failed to reverse the pitch direction. My canon G10 only fits on the head in one direction. It sits on the head so all the connections are out on the right side. The left side of the camera sits flush with the pano head.

Any suggestions?

Set the value for Pitch arm side to 'left' and for Camera orientation to 'landscape'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:03 am 

Hi Andrew,
Ok this is kind of odd... I am running papywizard 2.0.0 and don't have the pitch arm side drop down box in the shooting tab/menu. My choices are "head orientation", "camera orientation" and "Stablization Delay".

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:51 am 

GRADGUY wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Ok this is kind of odd... I am running papywizard 2.0.0 and don't have the pitch arm side drop down box in the shooting tab/menu. My choices are "head orientation", "camera orientation" and "Stablization Delay".

What do you think?

You should be using the latest development version - that is V. 2.1.21:

http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/Download#Developementversions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am 

lol... installed it. It works! Thank you. I got confused with all the different builds.
Had a bit of an issue with the new serial port speed selection too. Took a few times to get it right.
When using the Merlin/Orion shutter, can that also bracket my g10? I personally don't think it will.

Hey thanks for your advice its got me up and going again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 am 

GRADGUY wrote:
When using the Merlin/Orion shutter, can that also bracket my g10? I personally don't think it will.

Do you mean can the Merlin/Orion shutter plug-in trigger your Canon G10 camera's Automatic Exposure Bracketing (AEB)?

If you can trigger the G10's AEB using a Canon (or compatible) wired remote control then yes the Merlin/Orion shutter trigger cable connected between the Merlin/Orion Snap connector and the camera's remote control connector should work.

If you want 'extended' exposure bracketing - beyond that offered by AEB - then you'll have to use an alternative triggering method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:18 am 

I can't believe I'm having all these issues right now. Ok so I found out that the hotkeys have been dropped from the latest build. Furthermore I seems that the arm side setting is only available in the latest release. So I'm kind of stuck.

The latest bug I'm experiencing is in automatic mosaic shooting mode. Today I went out and wanted to capture a mosaic. I set the upper left corner then followed by the lower right corner. The process goes across the first row just fine then the pano head moves to the next row but keeps tilting downward way past the bounds I originally set. This happened both times I tried to make a mosaic.

Any ideas on whats going on.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 am 

GRADGUY wrote:
I can't believe I'm having all these issues right now. Ok so I found out that the hotkeys have been dropped from the latest build. Furthermore I seems that the arm side setting is only available in the latest release. So I'm kind of stuck.

Yes, I remember now that the hot keys were dropped. There was some conflict with other programs running on the Windows platform as I recall. Why is the hotkey function so important to you?

Regarding the pitch arm position and access to the right side of the camera, did you consider mounting your camera in portrait rather than landscape orientation?

Quote:
The latest bug I'm experiencing is in automatic mosaic shooting mode. Today I went out and wanted to capture a mosaic. I set the upper left corner then followed by the lower right corner. The process goes across the first row just fine then the pano head moves to the next row but keeps tilting downward way past the bounds I originally set. This happened both times I tried to make a mosaic.

Any ideas on what's going on.

Thanks.

Do you mean it never stops moving down to shoot the second row? It must stop at some point?

Did you set the reference (zero/zero) point after power up and before starting set the limits of the mosaic?

Was the battery compartment cover in place, and is the base of the bubble level opaque (I put a piece of black tape on the underside of mine)? Strange things can occur with head positioning if light is able to reach the optical encoders on the yaw motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:33 am 

Its really odd... I have never had to set the reference (zero/zero) point before. Historically I've just use the upper and lower set points and the pano has worked flawlessly for me. Odd that this has just started to happen now along with the other issues.

I didn't let it rotate around too far. I immediately stopped the mosaic and restarted... only to find out it did it again.

Tomorrow... I'll have another go at it to see if there is anything that looks odd or not right with the head.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 am 

GRADGUY wrote:
Its really odd... I have never had to set the reference (zero/zero) point before. Historically I've just use the upper and lower set points and the pano has worked flawlessly for me. Odd that this has just started to happen now along with the other issues.

I didn't let it rotate around too far. I immediately stopped the mosaic and restarted... only to find out it did it again.

Tomorrow... I'll have another go at it to see if there is anything that looks odd or not right with the head.
Thanks again.

When first powering up the mount in a session you should set a zero/zero reference point because the Merlin mount has no in-built position 'memory' and will by default accept the head position at power up as zero/zero.

With the pitch arm in a vertical orieetation you would normallt set the reference point to be at right angles to the pitch arm and pointing in the direction of the centre of you intended pano image. If you don't do this then APP/APG Papywizard Import wizard may produce odd results due to the 'irrational' shooting position data values recorded in the XML data file.

When shooting mosaics I often define the pano FOV by entering values for Total FOV - rather than setting opposing corners - Papywizard will then compute the shooting position around (centred on) the zero/zero reference point to cover the defined Total FOV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:56 pm 

Something is most certainly wrong and I'm a bit worked up about it. The lid is on and on tight. I tested it in a fairly dark room and tried it out on the automatic mosaic mode. The pitch just keeps on going round and round... I stopped the mosaic shoot when the pitch was at -3780.3

The scary thing is don't know where I can buy another one. Its really important to my graduate research work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 pm 

Talking about a roller coaster... I uninstalled papywizard, deleted the folder under the user/roaming directory and reinstalled. Now its working! I had to spin the pitch forwards to where I just let it run to get it back to 0 or else it always was -3780. Now when the unit starts up its at 0 which is where it should be.
One observation however sometime in the mosaic the shooting menu the area is filled pink and won't shoot. I think that happens when the batteries are low, however what other conditions cause that?

Lastly head speed... I've always used the head on normal speed... can I be using it in fast mode? I just didn't want to wear it out?
Hope this is the last of my issues for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 am 

GRADGUY wrote:
Talking about a roller coaster... I uninstalled papywizard, deleted the folder under the user/roaming directory and reinstalled. Now its working! I had to spin the pitch forwards to where I just let it run to get it back to 0 or else it always was -3780. Now when the unit starts up its at 0 which is where it should be.

I don't think it had anything to do with your Papywizard installation, but whatver it was you seem to have resolved it.

I have the feeling that you may not yet have fully grasped the idea of setting the Reference (zero pitch/zero yaw) position. You can set/reset this at any time. Use the arrow keys to move the head to the desired Reference position and then use the Hardware/Set Reference command to assign the zero/zero co-ordinates to this position- see screenshot 1. This Reference position is only maintained until you power off the Merlin mount, it's not 'smart' enough to remember the Reference position over a power-cycle, so you should re-establish the Reference position each time you power up the Merlin mount.

Quote:
One observation however sometime in the mosaic the shooting menu the area is filled pink and won't shoot. I think that happens when the batteries are low, however what other conditions cause that?

Can we see a screenshot showing the effect you describe? I've always used a mains adapeter or an external battery pack with my Merlin. Do you have the Panogear package with the Lithium Ion battery enhancement or a generic Merlin mount.

Quote:
Lastly head speed... I've always used the head on normal speed... can I be using it in fast mode? I just didn't want to wear it out?

The fast/normal/slow mode options only apply when moving the head manually using the arrow keys, not when shooting automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 am 

Thanks a lot.... thanks for your information... very much useful for me.... :)